ADVERTISEMENT

Hurricane Irma

Wonder how these evacuations and aftermaths look to EV owners.

good point.

might have been an advantage during the evacuation. While some stations were out of gas, they are never technically out of electricity. However, it goes take a decent amount of time to charge a car. I was told it takes 30 minutes to get a 75% charge in a Tesla.

And now that I think about it, gas stations only work when there is electricity. So maybe it's a wash???

You're still without power?? I thought all of WGV was back online? A lady at our office lives in Heritage Landing and she said she never lost power.

One of my wife's coworkers lives on Doctor's Inlet and she almost lost her house because of flooding. It pretty much stopped at her back door.

I'm in Murabella, whole neighborhood (1000 homes) except about 100 is still out. Also out are all the businessesin the center outfront except for Publix who is running on a generator.

Everything around us has come back up, or never lost it like Heritage. Driving us nuts.

Wow. I thought y'all were back up. On 210, all of the JEA homes on the north side of the road were back up before us. All the folks on FPL on the south side of the road got irritated by that.

good point.

might have been an advantage during the evacuation. While some stations were out of gas, they are never technically out of electricity. However, it goes take a decent amount of time to charge a car. I was told it takes 30 minutes to get a 75% charge in a Tesla.

So think of the lines at gas stations last week. What is it, five minutes to fill a car?

And now that I think about it, gas stations only work when there is electricity. So maybe it's a wash???

Gasoline is a pretty bitchin' 'battery' though with respect to storage. I can more readily stockpile it for foreseeable events like tropical storms.

Reactions: DanC78
Wow. I thought y'all were back up. On 210, all of the JEA homes on the north side of the road were back up before us. All the folks on FPL on the south side of the road got irritated by that.
Tex--what neighborhood are you in?

Am I the only one that feels a bit melancholy when these storms meet their ultimate demise? An organism born exclusively near the equator, utilizing rising water vapor, forming a ring of thunderstorms under the guidance of the Coriolis Force. It needs certain conditions to form and thrive, and when these conditions are ideal continues to grow in size and strength. From there, it is a thing of beauty and power, with no pity on anything that crosses it's path, until it's eventual demise, either on a land mass or overwhelmed by cold seas. But damn, when it hits a land mass it doesn't go down without a fight.

I get it. The storms are beautiful and powerful and I always feel a weird excitement when they're heading toward landfall. I don't want them to damage peoples' homes and businesses or cause injury and death, but at the same time there's a morbid curiosity about just what a big storm can accomplish.

I get it. The storms are beautiful and powerful and I always feel a weird excitement when they're heading toward landfall. I don't want them to damage peoples' homes and businesses or cause injury and death, but at the same time there's a morbid curiosity about just what a big storm can accomplish.

I grew in PC and have been through a good amount of hurricanes and near misses etc. I moved to Atlanta almost a year ago now from tampa.

I kept getting text from FL friends before the storm saying how lucky I was to have moved from Tampa when I did. But deep down I was bummed, was wanting to be there and be a part of the action; it was eating me up!

Last edited:
I get that.

Just got power back about 45 minutes ago. It went out at 3pm Sunday. It was out for about 80 hours, which seemed like several months.

Are you on Duke or Withlacoochee? I'm on day 5 with now power. I actually tried sleeping in my truck because it got too hot in the house.

Are you on Duke or Withlacoochee? I'm on day 5 with now power. I actually tried sleeping in my truck because it got too hot in the house.

No, Dade City is on TECO. I feel for you. First night or two wasn't too bad; it had been overcast & windy enough that it didn't get too hot in the house during the day. Night before last was really bad; I ended up setting up a hammock between a couple of surviving trees & slept out there. It was a lot cooler, but I got eaten up by the skeeters.

Yeah, I noticed it was cooler outside than it was in the house. I just didn't want to get eaten my skeeters. Monday night and Tuesday night I used my points to stay at a Hampton Inn. The office was closed and everyone had to work remote so I worked from the Hampton. My mom lives about two miles north of me and she stayed at my place to take care of my elderly cat. Mom's also on day 5 with no power. For some reason she doesn't mind the heat all that much. I guess the term "Old Person Hot" applies here. I might use my Marriott points to stay at a Fairfield Inn tonight.

Yeah, I noticed it was cooler outside than it was in the house. I just didn't want to get eaten my skeeters. Monday night and Tuesday night I used my points to stay at a Hampton Inn. The office was closed and everyone had to work remote so I worked from the Hampton. My mom lives about two miles north of me and she stayed at my place to take care of my elderly cat. Mom's also on day 5 with no power. For some reason she doesn't mind the heat all that much. I guess the term "Old Person Hot" applies here. I might use my Marriott points to stay at a Fairfield Inn tonight.

You could always go to the Super Walmart & set up one of their tents & air mattresses in the camping department. o_O

I still don't have power. I awoke to a bright light shining in my eye at 3am today. I was all excited as the condos across the canal from me had power restored! I jumped out of bed and noticed all the condos around me had power! Even the hallway in my building had power restored! Oh the joy!! Then I realized none of the actual condos in my buildong have power yet. I was punked. Mother f....another cold shower for me this morning. :mad::mad:

Reactions: RTM58
I still don't have power. I awoke to a bright light shining in my eye at 3am today. I was all excited as the condos across the canal from me had power restored! I jumped out of bed and noticed all the condos around me had power! Even the hallway in my building had power restored! Oh the joy!! Then I realized none of the actual condos in my buildong have power yet. I was punked. Mother f....another cold shower for me this morning. :mad::mad:
:(

I'd gladly take the cold shower after sleeping, or trying to sleep, in an oven.

The water in my neighborhood was restored yesterday.....yet no power. :mad:

I'd gladly take the cold shower after sleeping, or trying to sleep, in an oven.

The water in my neighborhood was restored yesterday.....yet no power. :mad:

Yeah, that was kinda my thought as people were posting about wanting to take a nice hot shower. I was on the verge of a frigging heat stroke - the last thing in the world I wanted was hot water hitting me.

The cold shower isn't too bad, once everything tightens up. Rinsing the shampoo/conditioner is the worst. It is refreshing though. My house is only a cool 81. My parents are at 86 degrees. They sit outside all day under their sprinkler.

On another note....I saw a tent pitched on a condo balcony on A1A today on my way to work! :Face with Tears of Joy

Good news, I was approved for FEMA housing...bad news, there is none available in the entire state. I was also approved emergency funding, within 24 hours of applying, without misleading my actual salary on the application. Color me impressed with FEMA.

The struggle has officially gotten real for me...my trash has not been picked up!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: FSUTribe76
The link below lets you type in an address and see aerial views of the damage. I went to the Keys and it's unbelievable. Some friends and I stayed at Pier House Resort in July and I'm pretty sure there's a boat sitting on their private beach. Crazy. I have a friend who lives on Summerland Key and this is the only way they could find out how much damage was done to their house. Sorry if this link was already posted. Not reviewing 22 pages to find out :)

https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/irma/index.html

So the only losses so far due to the storm were a TV that apparently had some sort of surge and fried (no big loss) and Mrs BFT's mother who had $350 stolen from her purse by some low life schmuck while she stayed in a shelter two nights.

The cold shower isn't too bad, once everything tightens up. Rinsing the shampoo/conditioner is the worst. It is refreshing though. My house is only a cool 81. My parents are at 86 degrees. They sit outside all day under their sprinkler.

jwKo4Z.jpg

My mom lost power for about 3 hours. She is just off of Miccosouke Road on the northeast side of Tally. Last year it was almost a week. We are very grateful for the crews who restored the juice.
Since the lead up to Harvey, I have personally seen several hundreds of power trucks on the move. Mostly on I-40 or I-26 but also on Highway 441 and for the last several days on I-81. We rolled home thru Virginia down 81 from a job in Maryland yesterday and the conveys were 1 after another after another. At about 9:00 last night we passed a group of about 20 trucks from Wisconsin rolling south. Who knows if they were bound for Texas, Fla., or some other place in need, but those guys are definitely mobilized.
Wifey talked to a buddy whose husband is a lineman for our local EMC. He has been in Fla. since before Irma. They were staged somewhere prior to landfall waiting to be sent where needed and have since been pulling wire and setting poles more than 12 hours a day...flipping tuff work in unpleasant circumstances.
I know it is miserable, unpleasant, problematic, and sometimes even dangerous for folks to be without power, but don't get the idea that in this case resources are not in play going all out to restore services. I for one am very thankful to know those crews are out there... and we are also thinking about the families those folks have left behind.

The struggle has officially gotten real for me...my trash has not been picked up!!!!

I recall reading that garbage trucks were an early and prime target of the insurgency in Iraq because it led to direct discontentment of the populace with the government that couldn't manage.

I'm in Murabella, whole neighborhood (1000 homes) except about 100 is still out. Also out are all the businessesin the center outfront except for Publix who is running on a generator.

Everything around us has come back up, or never lost it like Heritage. Driving us nuts.
Trav-- our family in Murabella got power back up last night. Did you? And how did you get so lucky to be in the last 100 homes to be restored?

Trav-- our family in Murabella got power back up last night. Did you? And how did you get so lucky to be in the last 100 homes to be restored?

Yup it fired up about 900 last night. Been a long time since I had 3 girls screaming and running around in their underwear in my living room.

A guy in our office lives in Palm Valley near the Intracoastal and FPL just got his power back on yesterday evening.

Have to hand it to FPL. They really got on top of restoring power after this storm.

The Bucs will be giving away tickets for Sunday's game to first responders in Tampa Bay and surrounding counties. They will be honored throughout the game. Representatives from Tampa Police, Hillsborough County Sherriff's Office and Tampa Fire Rescue will lead the team out of the tunnel. St. Petersburg Police and Clearwater Fire & Rescue will take part in the coin toss.

The Bucs will be giving away tickets for Sunday's game to first responders in Tampa Bay and surrounding counties. They will be honored throughout the game. Representatives from Tampa Police, Hillsborough County Sherriff's Office and Tampa Fire Rescue will lead the team out of the tunnel. St. Petersburg Police and Clearwater Fire & Rescue will take part in the coin toss.

Great display of sentiment!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT