ADVERTISEMENT

I’m a vaccine test dummy

UF researchers have published a study showing that people who have gotten their flu shots are 2x less likely to develop a serious COVID infection, and 3x less likely to need hospitalization with COVID.

I know, I know...its uf. But all our tax dollars support their research, so I'm hopeful this is accurate.

So how do they know it works if a person who gets a shot follows all the protocols of social distancing and mask wearing and may not have gotten it anyway. I assume they don't tell you to go out and try and get it.

So how do they know it works if a person who gets a shot follows all the protocols of social distancing and mask wearing and may not have gotten it anyway. I assume they don't tell you to go out and try and get it.
They’re waiting for I think 32 (or 26? Can’t remember exactly) infections in the whole study population of 40k people. Then they’ll see what the breakdown is of people who had the placebo vs people with the vaccine. If half the confirmed infections got the vaccine and half got the placebo the vaccine is a complete failure. If all 26 or 32 infections were in the placebo group it means the vaccine is extremely effective. I forget what the breakdown needs to be for it to be considered a success overall. It won’t be 100% effective but if it’s 70% effective at preventing infection it would get society back on track within months. I doubt COVID is ever really completely gone, you’ll still hear about people getting it and occasionally dying but if enough people get the vaccine or have immunity you won’t have any real outbreaks.

They’re waiting for I think 32 (or 26? Can’t remember exactly) infections in the whole study population of 40k people. Then they’ll see what the breakdown is of people who had the placebo vs people with the vaccine. If half the confirmed infections got the vaccine and half got the placebo the vaccine is a complete failure. If all 26 or 32 infections were in the placebo group it means the vaccine is extremely effective. I forget what the breakdown needs to be for it to be considered a success overall. It won’t be 100% effective but if it’s 70% effective at preventing infection it would get society back on track within months. I doubt COVID is ever really completely gone, you’ll still hear about people getting it and occasionally dying but if enough people get the vaccine or have immunity you won’t have any real outbreaks.
Pfizer is 53 cases I believe.

Last edited:
UF researchers have published a study showing that people who have gotten their flu shots are 2x less likely to develop a serious COVID infection, and 3x less likely to need hospitalization with COVID.

I know, I know...its uf. But all our tax dollars support their research, so I'm hopeful this is accurate.
This is positive news and has been reported by several researchers besides UF. Not being played much in the media though.

i usually take solace in the understanding that future doctors are too busy to be typical gator d-bags.

20 Million vaccines in December is what is being reported? Trust that really being the case?

Wow more awesome news with Moderna. 90/95 participants who tested positive during study were in Placebo group and 0 participants with the vaccine had serious symptoms. 20M doses they say by this year. Pfizer says 50M globally so not sure how many the US gets but either way it’s conceivable over 10M will have begun the immunization process by start of 2021. And since frontline workers and nursing home folks will be in phase 1 we could see deaths and hospitalizations drop off significantly.

I do think it’s great but at the same time I’m skeptical that it’s actually 90-95%. Just because I got the vaccine I haven’t been careless with my social interactions. I’m still wearing a mask and being careful with washing my hands etc and not congregating in tightly packed crowds. I suspect most of the other volunteers are as well. So that number might be misleading. I wonder what the true protection level would be if none of the participants were taking any precautions. My guess is it would be closer to the flu protection levels we hear about annually of 30-60%. If you combine that with the fact that problem half the population or less will take this thing then this pandemic could last a lot longer than anticipated.

Last edited:
Reactions: daveynole
I do think it’s great but at the same time I’m skeptical that it’s actually 90-95%. Just because I got the vaccine I haven’t been careless with my social interactions. I’m still wearing a mask and being careful with washing my hands etc and not congregating in tightly packed crowds. I suspect most of the other volunteers are as well. So that number might be misleading. I wonder what the true protection level would be if none of the participants were taking any precautions. My guess is it would be closer to the flu protection levels we hear about annually of 30-60%. If you combine that with the fact that problem half the population or less will take this thing then this pandemic could last a lot longer than anticipated.
But that’s not really how they determined it’s efficacy. They looked at total number of infections in the 30-40k participants and it came back that 90/95 infections were in placebo group. And 0 vaccine patients had severe complications. It’s a relatively small sample but the results are fantastic.

Reactions: ChiefWB
You should have no idea if you received the vaccine at this point if you were part of a trial. And you weren’t supposed to be “careless” when you joined the trial, there is a 50% chance you got a placebo. As the poster above stated none of those in the trial that were given the actual vaccine experienced severe complications. This is good news.
As far as people electing not to get the vaccine when available, I agree. Part of the reason will be irresponsible, crazy assertions like yours saying the vaccine is only 30-60% effective.

Last edited:
Reactions: QuaZ2002
OP, when do you find out if you got the active vaccine or placebo? Sounds like this will be approved in a couple weeks. Just get nursing home folks vaccinated and death numbers are cut down by 40% nationally.

I got the vaccine on Tues. My arm was sore the next day but that’s it. I get the booster on Jan 18th.
Do you mind if I ask if this is being done through a hospital or long term care facility or your primary care physician? Did you find the process difficult or arduous?

Do you mind if I ask if this is being done through a hospital or long term care facility or your primary care physician? Did you find the process difficult or arduous?
I’m in healthcare so I was able to get it at the hospital. It sure seems like community roll out is going to be a mess.

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
Got mine on thursday...my hospital is giving them out - had some arm pain and maybe a little headache and runny nose a few hours afterwards. I've never seen people more excited to get a vaccine!

I've never seen people more excited to get a vaccine!
I ran to the pharmacy on my 50th to get the shingles vaccine. I had the virus 3 times over the years in my face. Almost lost my eye. Constant nerve pain in my face since the first outbreak. Got the vaccine and not an ounce of pain from about a month after the booster shot. I am a firm believer vaccines can be game changers.

I ran to the pharmacy on my 50th to get the shingles vaccine. I had the virus 3 times over the years in my face. Almost lost my eye. Constant nerve pain in my face since the first outbreak. Got the vaccine and not an ounce of pain from about a month after the booster shot. I am a firm believer vaccines can be game changers.

The first dose of Shingrix made me go to bed for ~ a day. Felt worse than the worst flu I'd ever had. In my case it was worse than the one case of shingles I'd had.

BTW I go the Moderna vaccine Friday before last. Booster scheduled for 1/27. So far so good. Still keeping the same behaviors. Yes, I work in health care, but not in direct patient contact.

Reactions: goldmom and ChiefWB
Pfizer still isn’t letting participants know if they’ve been vaccinated, unlike Moderna. So my wait continues. Hopefully it doesn’t get to the point where I’m offered the vaccine prior to when Pfizer is good and ready to let me know. Then I will have a decision to make.

Reactions: Idaho Nole
My fiancé just got the Moderna Vaccine. Fingers crossed it works.

The first dose of Shingrix made me go to bed for ~ a day. Felt worse than the worst flu I'd ever had. In my case it was worse than the one case of shingles I'd had.

BTW I go the Moderna vaccine Friday before last. Booster scheduled for 1/27. So far so good. Still keeping the same behaviors. Yes, I work in health care, but not in direct patient contact.
This is what has made me so gun shy about Shingrix. I've heard similar stories from two other people. I had a mild case of shingles several years ago, and of course I don't want another.
I did get the pneumonia vaccine with no ill effects and the flu shot doesn't bother me,
I'll take the COVID vaccine when I can get an appointment.

Reactions: MagNoleA
This is what has made me so gun shy about Shingrix. I've heard similar stories from two other people. I had a mild case of shingles several years ago, and of course I don't want another.
I did get the pneumonia vaccine with no ill effects and the flu shot doesn't bother me,

My wife and I had the Shingrix shots last fall. First shot caused a sore arm and icky feeling for a day or so. Second shot no issues. I had the old shingles shot when I turned 60 ( now 73) and no reactions to that one. Several of my close friends over the years have suffered with shingles and I wanted no part of that.

I just like to call all the shots, if given the opportunity. Please give us a medical update when you've been able to get your Covid Vaccine. My best guess is by the end of March as I'm providing healthcare, but not on the front lines. Are the shots in the arm or in the tush? I am behind this endeavor 100%. Do hope you can take a crack at it in the near future.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT