ADVERTISEMENT

I continue to be absolutely baffled...

tommynole3476

Contributor
Aug 31, 2003
Jacksonville, FL
by the popularity of the beach.

Haven't been there in a long time, but the wife and I took Liza there this weekend, and I still don't get it.

Maybe if you're a surfer, yeah, but even then only certain beaches and conditions would be good.

Otherwise, what is the appeal exactly? What can you do at a beach that you can't do at a pool or a deck?

You lug all this crap from your car to the beach and spend most of the time fighting a absolutely unwinnable battle to not get sand all over it or yourself, while lathering lotion on you that makes the sand stick to you all the more.

And that's not even getting into the other nuisances at the beach like jellyfish, bugs, drunks, stupid teens, etc.

If accessing the beach wasn't free, for the most part, it'd be up there with some of the greatest cons in history, like Valentine's Day or 9/11.

I'm with you. To me it's something to do a few times with your kids just so they can see the ocean or whatever. But it does nothing for me and I'm surprised how many people love it.

If I go, I'm going to Myrtle Beach or Destin or some other tourist traps where there is something to do. I can't count how many times people have said "Oh, you need to go to ____ Beach, there's nothing there, and it's secluded and it's just you and the beach for a week." Nothing sounds worse to me.

That's the motivation for the typical BS crowded tourist beaches. Basically being five seconds from insertion.

I usually prefer to go to very secluded beaches and go fishing and/or hiking along the shore. It's very chillaxing to use the White parlance of our time.

Reactions: KevNole
Beautiful people, some interesting people, and some very stupid people on the beaches.
Beautiful water, relaxing locations all around, with or without others around you.
Grandkids enjoy it too. Beautiful spots on Shell island (PC)

Awesome beach bars, restaurants, and some damn good people watching. (at our age 47 &54)

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Beautiful people, some interesting people, and some very stupid people on the beaches.
Beautiful water, relaxing locations all around, with or without others around you.
Grandkids enjoy it too. Beautiful spots on Shell island (PC)

Awesome beach bars, restaurants, and some damn good people watching. (at our age 47 &54)
I love Shell Island and places similar in the Keys, but I don't consider that "the Beach." I consider that swimming in the Gulf while drinking. I very rarely actually walk onto the Beach at those places.

I was back in PC last week for a day and my parents wanted to go to the Beach. All I wanted to was sit at Margaritaville and drink. I'm with tommy...I hate the sand.

Hmmmm, I manage to not get covered in sand when I go to the beach and I don't see any jellyfish either.

I'm not a big beach person anymore so I understand where you're coming from. If my wife and I do go to the beach, we always go to Vilano because it is never crowded at all. Neither one of us want anything to do with JAX Beach, Atlantic and Neptune are far (we live in St Johns County) and even beaches like Micklers Landing are packed to the gills with people.

I was in Amelia Island this weekend and had two very different beach experiences:
  1. We got into town Saturday morning, so after a quick lunch headed down to the nearest beach to downtown Fernandina, Main Beach, arriving around 12:30. Took about 20 minutes to find a parking spot. The beach was slammed with awful, Winston-smoking, sunburned, inconsiderate white trash. Lots of neck tattoos, lots of noise, lots of awful. Thirty minutes in and we couldn't wait to leave.
  2. Sunday morning we drove down to Little Talbot State Park. We got there around 10:00 and, after paying $5 to get into the park, found a parking spot right away in a mostly-empty lot. The beach was nearly secluded; a few shell-searchers and 4-5 other families with umbrellas set up. We walked about five minutes down the beach and set up our towels at least 100 yards from anyone else. We spent a couple of hours just lying there, enjoying the sound of the ocean and the breeze. Got some sun, did some reading, and felt nice and refreshed when we left.
TL;DR: depends which beach you go to.

Last edited:
Agree that it depends on which beach you go to and how convenient it is for you. I used to go almost every weekend with my friends a couple years ago, that's now down to 2-3 times a year. I still love going, but its more or less an all day affair to go from Tampa to St. Pete Beach. If you're not going to stay all day you're better off just going to the pool. The "feel" of the beach and the water, etc is the attraction to me. It's like a mini vacation for the day.

Once or twice a year and I'm good. We're renting a condo for a week on a private beach on Manasota key in July. Looking forward to it.

I'm not a big beach person anymore so I understand where you're coming from. If my wife and I do go to the beach, we always go to Vilano because it is never crowded at all. Neither one of us want anything to do with JAX Beach, Atlantic and Neptune are far (we live in St Johns County) and even beaches like Micklers Landing are packed to the gills with people.
We tried to go to Vilano, actually we tried going to St Aug where we could drive on the beach (thus eliminating some of the annoyances listed above), but they were 4x4 only. So I found out Vilano was all vehicle types, but when we got there, they were full, and had suspended beach access for cars, temporarily. So we just drove up A1A till we found somewhere that seemed good enough.

Ericram, I can see that, but again, it's the getting to that point, and getting from that point that kind of ruins the relaxation, to me at least. There were a few moments Sunday where I was just laying there, and the waves were crashing and it was peaceful and relaxing. But those fleeting moments were not worth everything else.

Before kids, beach was a lot more fun.

I think the "fun" factor can be related to:

1. How much stuff are you lugging around?
2. How far do you have to walk to get to the beach?
3. How crowded is it?
4. Do you actually do stuff besides just sit on the sand?
5. Are you at the beach with friends/family that you actually want to be around?
6. How hot is the tail running around on the beach?

We haven't been to the beach since our niece joined our family, but we've gone to the beach twice with my son: Once just the 3 of us, which was very nice and peaceful. 2nd time was with a group of friends with kids all around the same age. We rented a house on the beach and had a great setup. Pretty fun all around, definitely an easier way to go than having to drive to the beach.

Being that my niece is darn near clear and can't be out in the sun much, doubt we'll be going to the beach at all this summer.

To me there are two types of beaches. The tourist trap beaches covered with people and nowhere to find a place to even sit. I have no desire to do that. However, there is nothing more peaceful to me than being at the beach if it is not crowded. Its beautiful, the sound of the waves and the breeze are peaceful and calming, and it is fun to play with your kids out on the beach. I don't like just driving down to go play on the sand all day, but if I can get a place right on the water its great.

I absolutely love the beach. Like ericcram said, something incredibly soothing about just relaxing on the beach.

When I went to LA I was on Manhattan Beach every day after work (for 2 weeks). I love the smell, the sounds, the view.

But some people love hiking. Some love camping. Some love being by the river. I personally don't like doing any of those things. I appreciate the views in the mountains but getting there isn't my cup of tea.

To each their own though.

To me there are two types of beaches. The tourist trap beaches covered with people and nowhere to find a place to even sit. I have no desire to do that. However, there is nothing more peaceful to me than being at the beach if it is not crowded. Its beautiful, the sound of the waves and the breeze are peaceful and calming, and it is fun to play with your kids out on the beach. I don't like just driving down to go play on the sand all day, but if I can get a place right on the water its great.
I agree with this. No desire to go to a crowded beach no matter how beautiful, hated the beaches in Honolulu and Miami because its like finding a seat in a movie theater 10 minutes after the movie started. I enjoy sitting under a tent/umbrella with some form of cold booze while music plays with plenty of space between me and the family next to us.

I lived at the beach when I was younger. Surfing the space coast.

Now live in pensacola and usually stay away from pensacola beach unless it's blue angel weekend or quick trip to eat at peg leg petes etc.

I do enjoy swim in the ocean so that usually done in Navarre or maybe destin near the inlet during the non summer months.

Going to the beach during the summer is more of a pain with the tourist and Extra traffic but it helps economy

I pull my boat up on a secluded beach and it is like heaven on earth.

I consider the NJ style cramped beach situation to be more like a trip to the dentist.

Up your game OP.

I was in Amelia Island this weekend and had two very different beach experiences:
  1. We got into town Saturday morning, so after a quick lunch headed down to the nearest beach to downtown Fernandina, Main Beach, arriving around 12:30. Took about 20 minutes to find a parking spot. The beach was slammed with awful, Winston-smoking, sunburned, inconsiderate white trash. Lots of neck tattoos, lots of noise, lots of awful. Thirty minutes in and we couldn't wait to leave.
  2. Sunday morning we drove down to Little Talbot State Park. We got there around 10:00 and, after paying $5 to get into the park, found a parking spot right away in a mostly-empty lot. The beach was nearly secluded; a few shell-searchers and 4-5 other families with umbrellas set up. We walked about five minutes down the beach and set up our towels at least 100 yards from anyone else. We spent a couple of hours just lying there, enjoying the sound of the ocean and the breeze. Got some sun, did some reading, and felt nice a refreshed when we left.
TL;DR: depends which beach you go to.

how much did your pool install cost? what do you pay for maintanence? do you do the chlorine yourself or do you hire that out? how long does that take you?

I was born and raised in St. Augustine. I love the beach. But not crowded, infested with tourist, beaches.
One of my personal theme songs is Jimmy Buffett's Tin Cup Chalice.

I love swimming in the ocean, have been collecting shark teeth my whole life. Love to surf fish. Now I can share all that with my son!

Living in Tallahassee I used to be very indifferent about the beach trips to the gulf. I'm not the biggest beach fan but my wife loves the beach. Lugging junk to the beach isn't that big of deal, I lug groceries from the car to the house all the time, I lug crap for yard stuff all the time so dragging stuff from the car to the beach isn't that big of a deal.

Like RunRonnieRun said, a nice secluded beach trip is fantastic. We got that a handful of times going to beach trips to the gulf and found a rhythm of when to go and when not to go. We used to hit up the beaches that cost money to get into and that seemed to eliminate the neck and leg tattoo groups that let their 16 year old smoke cigarettes.

Last year we moved closer to the beach, about 8 minutes from Hutchinson Island and that place is empty. Take the kids to Bathtub Beach it has a reef so the kids can throw on some goggles and they can check out the ocean life. Plus being 8 minutes down the road, it's an easy trip, no 45 minute drives. We did a picnic late in the afternoon and just hung out on the beach for an hour or so just because the day was beautiful, the beach was empty and the weather was perfect.

i agree, the only thing i prefer about the beach is the breeze. I find it very refreshing sitting on the beach with a cold beer and a nice cool breeze on a hot day. Other than that, give me the pool anytime...unless it's a public pool or something, those are gross and i would rather be stung by a jellyfish

I guess I can see the secluded beach. I went to Tyndall AFB Beach last year for the first time in forever and enjoyed it. There were maybe 10 people total out there and the only sounds to be heard were F-22's and the waves.

Agree with Tommy.

I like being at the beach, hate being on it. I hate sand more than just about anything in the world.

I'm perfectly fine hanging out at a rooftop bar across the street from the beach, getting the same sights, the same smells (and better drinks) from 25 yards away.

Reactions: tommynole3476
Hate the beach, but love the ocean.
lobsterskeys.jpg

Seems a pool would be a better option than the beach most days, but you can only have so many backseat Betty's at the pool. Ex-wife said laying out at the beach made her feel warm and fuzzy all over (something to do with heat and the female anatomy) so who was I to argue.
url

I don't want to be roasting on the beach, but love looking at the water with a cold one in hand.

I don't like to just sit on the shore & bake myself in the sun, but I love the beach. Depending on my mood, sometimes I prefer a more secluded area, sometimes I prefer an area with a lot of people.

I'm pretty easygoing & can figure out how to have a good time just about anywhere.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Living in Tallahassee I used to be very indifferent about the beach trips to the gulf. I'm not the biggest beach fan but my wife loves the beach. Lugging junk to the beach isn't that big of deal, I lug groceries from the car to the house all the time, I lug crap for yard stuff all the time so dragging stuff from the car to the beach isn't that big of a deal.

Like RunRonnieRun said, a nice secluded beach trip is fantastic. We got that a handful of times going to beach trips to the gulf and found a rhythm of when to go and when not to go. We used to hit up the beaches that cost money to get into and that seemed to eliminate the neck and leg tattoo groups that let their 16 year old smoke cigarettes.

Last year we moved closer to the beach, about 8 minutes from Hutchinson Island and that place is empty. Take the kids to Bathtub Beach it has a reef so the kids can throw on some goggles and they can check out the ocean life. Plus being 8 minutes down the road, it's an easy trip, no 45 minute drives. We did a picnic late in the afternoon and just hung out on the beach for an hour or so just because the day was beautiful, the beach was empty and the weather was perfect.

Bathtub is awesome, I try and go every Friday early when it's pretty quiet.

It's an escape.

Truthfully, the only "party beach" or crowded beach for tourists I have enjoyed was Bondi Beach just outside of Sydney. It was golden sand surrounded by tall nicely colored cliffs with the most crystal clear turquoise water I've seen and tall waves to surf. It was basically the perfect party beach, beautiful women everywhere and beautiful actual scenery. I'm still stunned by how clear the water was considering how many people were there.

As for the rest, I enjoyed PCB, Clearwayer, Daytona and South Beach when I was in college and was drinking while pursuing trim. As an actual adult, I haven't really been back nor care to.

We tried to go to Vilano, actually we tried going to St Aug where we could drive on the beach (thus eliminating some of the annoyances listed above), but they were 4x4 only. So I found out Vilano was all vehicle types, but when we got there, they were full, and had suspended beach access for cars, temporarily. So we just drove up A1A till we found somewhere that seemed good enough.

Wow, I've never seen Vilano that busy. It's usually pretty barren but, of course, it was a holiday weekend.

My in-laws live in the Port Charlotte area and Manasota Key is their beach of choice. Great beach.
Awesome. The condo is only a few years old and, like I said, on a private section of the beach. Really looking forward to it.

Used to hate the beach with a passion. Since I started dating a very basic white girl, I have been to the beach three times in the past couple months.

We stayed at beach resorts in Pensacola and Dubai, and we went down to the beach in a lounger and fried. We ended up laying by the pool where we could freely jump in the water, didn't have to worry about the sand, and the bar was closer. We did wake up early and go walk along the beach, and enjoyed hearing the waves crashing, but laying on the beach just isn't pleasant to me.

Agree with Tommy.

I like being at the beach, hate being on it. I hate sand more than just about anything in the world.

I'm perfectly fine hanging out at a rooftop bar across the street from the beach, getting the same sights, the same smells (and better drinks) from 25 yards away.

This sums up my position as well. I hate sand.

Reactions: tommynole3476
I'm with RTM58. Love the Ocean, not a fan of the beach. I'll go with the boss for a day or two when I'm not fishing, maybe, unless I need to cut my toe nails or have another project going on.

I would much rather be casting to a cobia along the beach or cranking in a White Marlin offshore, in my SPF shirts and a "buff".

Hate the beach, but love the ocean.
Ex-wife said laying out at the beach made her feel warm and fuzzy all over (something to do with heat and the female anatomy) so who was I to argue.
url

Or maybe it was just the cabana boys...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT