ADVERTISEMENT

Invest 99L (Now TD 9)(Now TS Hermine)(Now Hurricane Hermine)

damn. looks like I need to come up with a shower AC package deal for my Locker Room peeps.

" Shower and 15 minutes in AC with ports for smart phone. $24.99 - Special Deal code: "Sled Dogs".

Reactions: TexSkills
damn. looks like I need to come up with a shower AC package deal for my Locker Room peeps.

" Shower and 15 minutes in AC with ports for smart phone. $24.99 - Special Deal code: "Sled Dogs".
Come through Waverly area and you might sell out!

Power was restored in our neighborhood (Pedrick Rd south side of Buck Lake Rd) Saturday afternoon. Noticed last night that while power was on Pedrick, Buck Lake road to our north was still dark.

Reactions: noleclone2
Checking in from Brandemere in Waverly. Houses around me now have power. Getting closer maybe? Been out since Thursday at 8:30 PM.

Ok where's FEMA?
A Tallahassee icon needs help

636084050941277076-14199365-10154546589873982-4501598445649988497-n.jpg
I managed there years ago...Wow!

We were some of the more fortunate ones at my place near Hartsfield and Highh here in Tally. Our power came back on late Friday evening, so we were able to watch football all day Saturday.

Anyone regain power recently? We are still living Amish Style in Waverly.
I've had a couple friends pop back on in the Killearn area, and it looks like Highgrove just got back on, but I was just home and confirmed the southern half of Lasswade is dark. Still have lines down on the road. The outage map originally looked like Lasswade was alone, but there are now a lot more dots on the map in our neighborhood.

I've had a couple friends pop back on in the Killearn area, and it looks like Highgrove just got back on, but I was just home and confirmed the southern half of Lasswade is dark. Still have lines down on the road. The outage map originally looked like Lasswade was alone, but there are now a lot more dots on the map in our neighborhood.
Here's my fear:
Since part of the neighborhood is on they might go with the numbers theory and focus on blog blocks of power and we may be some of the last ones back on now.

I drove through town from where I live in northeast Tallahassee and was amazed how much harder hit the area south of I-10 was compared to north of I-10. I would say there was ~10 times the amount of trees down and damage. Amazing difference for being 8 miles apart as the crow flies.

I drove through town from where I live in northeast Tallahassee and was amazed how much harder hit the area south of I-10 was compared to north of I-10. I would say there was ~10 times the amount of trees down and damage. Amazing difference for being 8 miles apart as the crow flies.
I'm curious about possible tornadoes in the areas that received the most damage. That could explain the difference in damage.

I'm curious about possible tornadoes in the areas that received the most damage. That could explain the difference in damage.
Yeah either that or many speculate the eye wall came up to about I-10 and then sped off east.
Waverly still looks like a war zone. Crazy how dark it is here at night.

I think because it was more universal it was maybe just worse because it was closer to the eye, That or some microbursts in area?

The western eye wall passed right over midtown, then Hermine made a jaunt east and the same eye wall came back across mid-town bring winds from the opposite direction.

I had my mifi hot spot on with battery until about 4am during the storm and watched the whole thing happen on radar. Strongest core of winds never made it north of Maclay Gardens. Instead they trained over midtown for about 90 minutes as the storm shifted directions.

Reactions: trefeet
Here's my fear:
Since part of the neighborhood is on they might go with the numbers theory and focus on blog blocks of power and we may be some of the last ones back on now.

They're definitely triaging the repair in that manner. I'd imagine the folks who had a limb fall on the line from the pole to their house are the last ones back on. Can you privately contract for that leg?
Anyone know how their monitoring works, in terms of them being aware of downstream disconnects even existing before upstream is energized (beyond phone calls and eyeballing)?

They're definitely triaging the repair in that manner. I'd imagine the folks who had a limb fall on the line from the pole to their house are the last ones back on. Can you privately contract for that leg?
Anyone know how their monitoring works, in terms of them being aware of downstream disconnects even existing before upstream is energized (beyond phone calls and eyeballing)?
Probably not. The homeowner owns from the masthead into the house. The utility company owns from the masthead out.

My friends live on Argonne in betton. Def had to be some sort of tornado. They got crushed.

I live off of Hartsfield. Sometime around 1 AM or so Friday I stuck my head out & it was like a mixing bowl out there. At some point it quit for a short while & then it started back up & lasted until 3:30 or so. I'm kind of surprised it wasn't worse than it turned out. Less than 48 hours w/o power.
I do feel for those still without.

My friends live on Argonne in betton. Def had to be some sort of tornado. They got crushed.

Yeah Betton got hit hard too. But looking at the radar it really didn't seem like a tornado. Just the eye wall that hit twice. All the trees got loosened up and then the winds shifted to the other direction and took them out.

It obviously could have been a tornado, but I really think it was just the crazy way the winds shifted.

Predict they will find (similar to Kate ) several microbursts hit. Microbursts may be the worst named meteorological event. Nothing micro about them and worse than small tornado. They are basically up to an F1 tornado that everything blows out from ....in an up to 2.5 mile radius. Much suspected tornadic activity with Kate in 85 was from these. They are marked by more widespread overall circular area and trees that blow outward from central point vs thin path of destruction.

Last edited:
Reactions: DFSNOLE
Still no power in Waverly. Getting old. 6th calendar day. About 110 hours in at this point.
That is just brutal. Hang in there. Our office on West Lakeshore is still without power. It irks me a bit how the media reports power outages as "customers". Like WCTV has un update that says "More than 22,500 remain without power" . But seeing as 90% of locations are residential and multiplying by 2.4 average house hold for Tallahassee and the real headline should be (and always should have been) reported as: "Almost 50,000 people still without power"

I don't normally follow storms to this level of detail, so I don't know the answer, but the strongest recorded inland wind gust was 64 mph at Doak.

I understand land friction can play a role in alleviating winds from storms, and that the network of wx stations might not be great, but considering the eye wall was just hanging out over Tallahassee, is this normal?

I don't normally follow storms to this level of detail, so I don't know the answer, but the strongest recorded inland wind gust was 64 mph at Doak
I understand land friction can play a role in alleviating winds from storms, and that the network of wx stations might not be great, but considering the eye wall was just hanging out over Tallahassee, is this normal?

My thinking is the area north of downtown but south of maclay road got hit by at least two - four separate microbursts. These can be missed on radar and spread out weather stations but can be 1-2.5 miles f circular/ radial 75-100 mph winds in large area.

My thinking is the area north of downtown but south of maclay road got hit by at least two - four separate microbursts. These can be missed on radar and spread out weather stations but can be 1-2.5 miles f circular/ radial 75-100 mph winds in large area.
I think you might be right.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT