ADVERTISEMENT

New FUTBOL thread since the pinned one is broken...

Originally posted by LesClaypool:
Chris Smalling is an IDIOT!

Ruined a great match. What a putz!
1st yellow did him in. When someone takes a silly yellow like that it almost always results in a 2nd yellow later in the match -> unfortunately for United supporters (and everyone cheering against a City win) that 2nd yellow happened just a few mins later.

They apparently only decided to show up for 45 minutes. How they can give up a 3-0 lead in the final 30 minutes of the game is a head scratcher.

They are so short on defenders right now it really isn't surprising though. Why Wenger insists on playing Monreal at CB instead of Chambers there and Bellerin at RB (all natural positions as opposed to LB Monreal being moved inside) is beyond me. I also don't understand why he pulled Arteta for Flamini when Ramsey was gassed after returning today from an illness which kept him out of most of the weekend PL game.

Welbeck, Sanchez & Oxlade-Chamberlain played their tails off up top only to have the defense play like swiss cheese in the second half. It is getting tiring seeing the same lineup on the field while capable subs are continually on the bench watching. This team has no depth and will be lucky to make Top 4 in the PL. Luckily for Arsenal, Dortmund isn't losing in the group, so they should at least get to the knockout stage as #2 from the group.

Great games by Ox and Alexis! 2nd goal from Alexis was a SCREAMER!

Nightmare for chambers who was ABUSED in the 2nd half down the flank.

What happened to Koscielny? When did he get hurt and what is wrong with him? We need him back!

I stand corrected on why Arteta was taken out. Apparently he strained his hamstring and had to come off (yet another injury).

Koscielny was found to have tendinitis in his Achilles by the French training staff during the last International break. Unfortunately he is probably out at least until the next International break, and potentially until the beginning of 2015.

IMO if we have any hopes of finishing top 4 we need to sign a CB and a DM in January. I think the offense is there, especially with Walcott coming back, we just need help on the back line.

Wow, another terrible defensive effort today by Arsenal. Chambers was abused all day and Monreal didn't do much in the middle, especially on the game winning goal.

Watching Arsenal & Wenger is starting to remind me of watching FSU in the mid-2000's with Bobby. A legend at the helm and either too stubborn to make the necessary changes or he just doesn't see it. Granted Arsenal don't have many options since they are so thin at the back 4, but even the announcers & analysts all threw out ideas after & during the game today.

January cannot get here fast enough.

Originally posted by FSUdawg:
Wow, another terrible defensive effort today by Arsenal. Chambers was abused all day and Monreal didn't do much in the middle, especially on the game winning goal.

Watching Arsenal & Wenger is starting to remind me of watching FSU in the mid-2000's with Bobby. A legend at the helm and either too stubborn to make the necessary changes or he just doesn't see it. Granted Arsenal don't have many options since they are so thin at the back 4, but even the announcers & analysts all threw out ideas after & during the game today.

January cannot get here fast enough.
Dawg, you and I both know that when January gets here, Wenger will hem and haw, twiddle his thumbs and toes, and then do....NOTHING! It's a never ending ordeal with him. He's been great for the club, but his time has truly passed. The comparison with BB is spot on, except we don't have a quality replacement in the fold.

Being an Arsenal supporter leaves me smh.

Faroe Islands upset Greece in euros. Who can find the islands on a map?

Portugal is just gross, ronaldo saves them again. How many coaches do they need before they abandon this 4-5-1 defensive formation?

Scotland big win over Ireland that's a great group right now with Poland and Germany.

Must win for Netherlands tomorrow to get back on track.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

If Welbeck used his left foot at United just once, just once, he'd still be at United. England seems to be in good shape. Did any English players sit because they were too tired, even though a certain team's starting 11 had 7 sitting on the bench in a recent CL match, although one of those player's scored Saturday, in his own net. The Dutch have a lifeline. Ronaldo should be picking up his 3rd Ballon D'or in January, and it's not even close at this point, although he missed a sitter. In his last 4-5 matches, he has missed 3-4 sitters.

Spain's lineup is almost unrecognizable compared to the summer's WC lineup.

I haven't seen the full highlights of Italy/Croatia, but wow, those f*cking animals over there will never learn, never.

Some groups are extremely close, surprisingly.

United/Arse on Saturday, both teams will be using reserve team defenses, uh oh. United wins 7-5 because of de Gea. David Blind will be out with knee ligament damage, both teams are like the 2013 Gators with all these injuries.

Missed the United arsensl but heard it was about as intense as s wet noodle fight.

Not sure many follow bundeliga but I just saw the standings which are crazy.

15. Dortmund
16. Bremen
17. Hamburg

16-18 relegated, even if bayern wins title by January bottom league could be fun.

Missed some of the game but had it on the radio in the car. Arsenal did well to control a good part of the game. United went up 1-0 and opened up their game they are attempting to build, a great counter attack. United was up 2-0 when Di Maria received a pass on United's own side of the pitch with a defender not 15 yards from him and he misses a gimme chip in stoppage time that would have put United up 3-0, and Arsenal promptly comes down and scores to make it United 2-1 Arsenal. Di Maria was off on Saturday.

Both teams will be better when they can get a healthy, first team back 3/4.

I am sure that the Gunners are excited to have Giroud back, 3 weeks early although, this will push Henry the 2nd back outside where he struggled at MUFC, especially with the left foot of a 12 year old and lack of creating his own shot. He is great inside the 18.

I had to leave about a minute before Crystal Palace opened the flood gates on Liverpool. Does DC Nole post anymore? I think I try to be objective when discussing rivals, and would like to hear his thoughts on Liverpool, Gerrard possibly leaving and the coaching/status of Brendan Rodgers, I know he hates MUFC, but he is very knowledgeable on the EPL.

I've come to the conclusion that Wenger seriously has to go, and the sooner the better. Being a supporter of The Arsenal is becoming like attending Greek tragedies every weekend.
mad.r191677.gif

I agree on Wenger, arsenal are an amazing club and stadium and although their parade was a blast I'm sure from reports last May, one cup wasn't worth another extension. His talent evaluation has been poor for years.

Makes me rethink how much say he really had in those old great teams of the past. Did he luck into that Henry era more than foster it?
How did he get steals in Viera, Pires, Overmars, Anelka, Campbell, Ljungburg, etcc, and then be so poor most of the last decade?

Originally posted by kooterridesagain:
I agree on Wenger, arsenal are an amazing club and stadium and although their parade was a blast I'm sure from reports last May, one cup wasn't worth another extension. His talent evaluation has been poor for years.

Makes me rethink how much say he really had in those old great teams of the past. Did he luck into that Henry era more than foster it?
How did he get steals in Viera, Pires, Overmars, Anelka, Campbell, Ljungburg, etcc, and then be so poor most of the last decade?

How? He was cheap, that's how. Always looking to underpay and underbid. We had shots at players like CR7, Kompany, even Messi, but he wouldn't spend. Instead, he finds some obscure Finnish second division player whom he annoints as the second coming of Henry. Sheesh.

Oh boy, I see that Giroud will miss the rest of the UCL group matches because he was not listed on Arsenal's original 25 man UCL squad list! I know he is returning from injury early, but only 14 players can play in a game, that leaves 11 players on the roster list, and I am sure 5-6 are just roster fillers. I am sure someone could have been left off of that list and Giroud could have been added.

I would fire someone, immediately Get out of my f*cking building, right now! Pick a window, you are leaving right f*cking now!

Originally posted by Manch.:
Oh boy, I see that Giroud will miss the rest of the UCL group matches because he was not listed on Arsenal's original 25 man UCL squad list! I know he is returning from injury early, but only 14 players can play in a game, that leaves 11 players on the roster list, and I am sure 5-6 are just roster fillers. I am sure someone could have been left off of that list and Giroud could have been added.

I would fire someone, immediately Get out of my f*cking building, right now! Pick a window, you are leaving right f*cking now!
I read that this morning and it baffles my mind. Not only does he not have Giroud on the roster, but I am sure he will play the same group of guys that have been struggling the past month+.

I am curious to see what happens at Keeper. Martinez will need to play due to injury to Szczesny, and I am not sure they have another available on the roster since Ospina is also injured.

Even when all the injured return, I am not confident Wenger can turn things around and get this team back in the Top 4.

Well, I was traveling yesterday to Florida for Thanksgiving in Clearwater and then up to Thassee tomorrow for the THE Game. Imagine my shock when I pulled in and found out The Arsenal had dispatched Dortmund 2-0. Great way to start the holiday season!

Originally posted by seminoleed:
Well, I was traveling yesterday to Florida for Thanksgiving in Clearwater and then up to Thassee tomorrow for the THE Game. Imagine my shock when I pulled in and found out The Arsenal had dispatched Dortmund 2-0. Great way to start the holiday season!
Ed:

It was a good game, a total team effort. To me the most surprising thing wasn't that they scored only 73 seconds into the game, it was that Yaya Sonogo scored 73 seconds into the game.

Martinez played well in goal but was only tested once or twice. This was due to a very good team defensive effort.

On the down side, Arteta is out until 2015 with a calf issue and Sonogo also left early with a hamstring issue. Welbeck was already out with a knee issue, so the injuries are now taking a toll all over the place and not just among the defenders.

The Arsenal starts my day off right with a road result, even if it is only WBA. And I must admit that was the best I've seen United play in quite some time.

Us Chelsea supporters were hoping last year's nasty habit of not garnering 3 points when they should've would be now be alleviated with the added firepower up front during the offseason. ...And yet here they go again getting only a single point after failing to score against bottom-feeder Sunderland. Meanwhile, powerful Citeh takes care of business today at Southampton and is now looming large in the rearview in 2nd place a mere 6 points behind. I think some people prematurely handed my Blues the trophy.

This is the time of year that Chelsea usually starts to slide, although they are loaded this year, and Costa and Fabregas are vets who should help them avoid that slide.

Forget CR7, what about the run Real is having after that painfully slow start and World Cup/Champions League hangover that they showed.

More injuries for United, WTF!?!?!?! I never pulled a muscle in my life, and with the stretching and trainers that these teams have, I don't understand it.

Is this the beginning of the end for Gerrard at Anfield. There already were rumors of him leaving at the beginning of the season if Liverpool could not get him that elusive BLP title. If he wants that trophy, where does he go, City or Chelsea?

Well November is over and that is the month that Chelsea has traditionally struggled with the most (in the Roman Abramovich era). No losses for the first time (iirc).

I can't see Gerrard at Chelsea. If he wanted to go to Chelsea he would've in the summer of 2005 (when he said no Chelsea bought Essien).

I think Gerrard will stay at Liverpool, probably at cut rate and knowing that he'll be a squad player and not a full time starter (like Lampard was in 2013/4 for Chelsea).

re: Real, IMO that slow start could be attributed to having so many players in the WC and having as much player movement as they did have this summer and just getting used to new roles for some (eg. Kroos joining the team and playing deeper in MF than he did for Bayern).

I'd say there's at least a 25% chance, if not greater, that Chelsea goes through the season unbeaten.

They're so clearly better than everyone else, it's not even worth discussing.

6 pt lead at this stage will turn into 10, then 12, will turn into 15, etc.

Undefeated or not, they're going to run away with the league this year.

Chelsea annihilates Tottenham. They are a juggernaut.

No Alexis Sanchez and Arsenal is in 10th place or worse.

Chelsea annihilates Tottenham. They are a juggernaut.
Keep trying to jinx us.
wink.r191677.gif
Chelsea's going to have to be a "juggernaut" to hold off the onslaught from the whole of Manchester. I think this is going to go down right to the end of the season.

Nice day in the Champions League today. Peasants bow out with a meek draw at Basel. Rodgers has to be on some kind of hot seat at this point. The Arsenal with a surprisingly dominant rout of Galatasaray in Turkey. Ramsey's second goal is an eye opener.

How Far Out WAS That Shot?

Sunday was FUTBOL American style for me-- all afternoon:

The noles won the womens college cup in the first game and then I watched the MLS finale-- which
had Landon Donovan going out on top (of his league).

A nice day for The Arsenal today with a 4-1 dismantling of the Barcodes. Gunners looked like they had their "A" game for a change.

Arsenal catch a scheduling break next week as they play Saturday this week (today) and Liverpool plays tomorrow (Sunday) as well as mid-week in the Capitol One Cup.

And you're welcome as we (Chelsea) took everything out of Newcastle last week.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

As an aside, I'll laugh hard if Arsenal finish 4th in the BPL, but miss out on UCL next year if eg. Liverpool wins the Europa - first year that winner of Europa automatically qualifies for UCL the following year.

Originally posted by Rishi:
Arsenal catch a scheduling break next week as they play Saturday this week (today) and Liverpool plays tomorrow (Sunday) as well as mid-week in the Capitol One Cup.

3dgrin.r191677.gif

As an aside, I'll laugh hard if Arsenal finish 4th in the BPL, but miss out on UCL next year if eg. Liverpool wins the Europa - first year that winner of Europa automatically qualifies for UCL the following year.
LOL. The likelihood of The Arsenal finishing 4th this year, OR the Peasants winning Europa is about as likely as me becoming a Gator fan.

Nil, zilch, butkus.

Goons won't have to finish 4th since the CL champ gets an automatic berth too!

Go Gunners!!!!!

With our defense I don't see how we don't win the treble this year.

Go Gunners!!!!!

Even when the Gunners went undefeated in the EPL, they only won 1/3 of the treble.
3dsmile.r191677.gif

I think only one British team has ever won the treble, can't think of that team off of the top of my head.

Les, good call on the the CL winner getting an automatic CL birth, does that mean Arse and Liverpool are going to bump United and Southampton from next year's CL?

Who's defense has been hit worse with injuries, Arsenal or Man United?

Originally posted by Manch.:

Go Gunners!!!!!

Even when the Gunners went undefeated in the EPL, they only won 1/3 of the treble.
3dsmile.r191677.gif

I think only one British team has ever won the treble, can't think of that team off of the top of my head.

Les, good call on the the CL winner getting an automatic CL birth, does that mean Arse and Liverpool are going to bump United and Southampton from next year's CL?

Who's defense has been hit worse with injuries, Arsenal or Man United?
Good question, Manch. Both have been wracked with injuries, and that disease has spread to the offense as well in the case of The Arsenal.

Both sides are suffering from their transfers over the summer: Gunners for not buying enough depth, United for spending way to much on non-productive players (i.e., Falcao).

Also have to say that Van Gaal's presser after the game today presented me with a true oddity--he makes ol' Whiskey Nose understandable! Louis needs work on his English.

Louis needs work on his English.
Understatement of the year. I watch him at times in his interviews and I can tell he knows what he wants to say, in Dutch. However he just cannot translate it into English. He had trouble with the media a few weeks ago regarding an injury update, and I think the main issue was his English. If he would have made the comment in Dutch and let someone else translate for him, it probably would have made perfect sense.

Originally posted by Rishi:

3dgrin.r191677.gif

LOL. The likelihood of The Arsenal finishing 4th this year, OR the Peasants winning Europa is about as likely as me becoming a Gator fan.

Nil, zilch, butkus.
The 2nd half I was obviously joking about (although far from improbable - if you incl. Everton and Spurs). However, Arsenal finishing 4th I was not, United and Arsenal will finish 3rd and 4th (order to be determined).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT