ADVERTISEMENT

New FUTBOL thread since the pinned one is broken...

And finally, The Arsenal gets a decent draw in the Champions League. Wenger gets his old club Monaco, sans James and Falcao of course. This should be someone the Gunners can beat for a change.

photo_verybig_158168.jpg

Capitol One Cup semis:

Liverpool/Chelsea
Spurs/Sheffield Wed.

Chelsea has another busy Jan. with potentially 8 matches (if they get by Watford in the first FA Cup match).

City catches a break as they have a full week b/w their 2nd FA Cup (assuming they win their 1st) and Chelsea on the 31st whereas Chelsea is playing the 2nd leg of the COC b/w the 2nd FA Cup match and City.

The 31st is also about a week after Aguero is supposed to return so unless he suffers a set back, Chelsea will likely be seeing him at the Bridge.

Originally posted by Rishi:
Capitol One Cup semis:

Liverpool/Chelsea
Spurs/Sheffield Wed.

Chelsea has another busy Jan. with potentially 8 matches (if they get by Watford in the first FA Cup match).

City catches a break as they have a full week b/w their 2nd FA Cup (assuming they win their 1st) and Chelsea on the 31st whereas Chelsea is playing the 2nd leg of the COC b/w the 2nd FA Cup match and City.

The 31st is also about a week after Aguero is supposed to return so unless he suffers a set back, Chelsea will likely be seeing him at the Bridge.
Damn, that's rough. Any injury word on Drogba & Zouma? TIA.

Noticed that United is playing on the 26th, 28th and 1st in the EPL. Damn, I don't remember the schedule being that bunched in December.

Originally posted by NoleLizards:
Capitol One Cup semis:

Liverpool/Chelsea
Spurs/Sheffield Wed.

Damn, that's rough. Any injury word on Drogba & Zouma? TIA.
Both expected to be available for Stoke on Monday, same with Courtois.

Originally posted by Manch.:
Rishi,

Is Cech gone in January?
I'd be shocked. Now that he's played in the Champions League it would greatly reduce the number of teams that would have interest in him. Likely to go in the summer IMO.

As well Mourinho doesn't want to sell him in case something happens to Courtois (who's already missed a few games due to illness and minor injury).

Rishi,

Is Cech gone in January?
I'd be shocked. Now that he's played in the Champions League it would greatly reduce the number of teams that would have interest in him. Likely to go in the summer IMO.

As well Mourinho doesn't want to sell him in case something happens to Courtois (who's already missed a few games due to illness and minor injury).
Call me naive, but why would Cech keeping in the CL prevent other teams from trying to acquire him? If he stays the rest of the season(s), I'll be thrilled to death. Having two great keepers during this demanding schedule is much better than one!

And once again, The Arsenal snatch defeat from the jaws of victory late. At least, this feels like a loss, and probably feels like a win for the Peasants. Wenger's strategy of not having a DM or a proper CB exposes them as well.

Oh well, 1 point is loads better than our last trip to Anfield.

Rishi,

Is Cech gone in January?

Call me naive, but why would Cech keeping in the CL prevent other teams from trying to acquire him? If he stays the rest of the season(s), I'll be thrilled to death. Having two great keepers during this demanding schedule is much better than one!
Because one of those teams would have been the most likely to try to acquire him and he would be ineligible (cup tied) to play in the UCL the rest of the year.

Noticed that United is playing on the 26th, 28th and 1st in the EPL. Damn, I don't remember the schedule being that bunched in December.
Yeah, that's everyone's schedule this year. At least there is some space before the 26th -> with Chelsea and Stoke playing last on the 22nd everyone's got at least 4 days before that 1st game.

Rishi,

Is Cech gone in January?

Because one of those teams would have been the most likely to try to acquire him and he would be ineligible (cup tied) to play in the UCL the rest of the year.
Ahhh...I get it now. Thanks.

NL, do you know how long it took me to figure out Cup tied and also the several team Cups, within the league and Europe, especially with the formats and overtime advancement rules as the League Cup and free pass to Wembley.

Cech played 3 games in the CL group stage (2 shit games against Maribor and then on match day 6, after Chelsea locked into the top spot). I think that if he wasn't cup-tied, that he'd have more value in black January.

One thing that I still struggle with, is when does a player become cup-tied as it appears that every Cup is different. For the CL, does Cech become cup-tied when he first sees the field on match day #3, or if he is on the game day roster or if he is on the CL 25 man team roster of a cup team but is never on a match day roster?

I am sure that Kooter has a simple one sentence answer.

NL, do you know how long it took me to figure out Cup tied and also the several team Cups, within the league and Europe, especially with the formats and overtime advancement rules as the League Cup and free pass to Wembley.

Cech played 3 games in the CL group stage (2 shit games against Maribor and then on match day 6, after Chelsea locked into the top spot). I think that if he wasn't cup-tied, that he'd have more value in black January.

One thing that I still struggle with, is when does a player become cup-tied as it appears that every Cup is different. For the CL, does Cech become cup-tied when he first sees the field on match day #3, or if he is on the game day roster or if he is on the CL 25 man team roster of a cup team but is never on a match day roster?

tf-funny-cats-screensaver_20289.png

For UCL, they become cup tied when they see the field. eg, Cech was the backup for the 1st couple of UCL games for Chelsea but since he hadn't played he wasn't cup tied.

For Capitol One and FA Cups, rules are the same. Have to appear in the competition to be cup tied. eg. Demba Ba signed in Jan. with Chelsea in 2013 but had not appeared for Newcastle in the FA Cup to that point so he was eligible to play for Chelsea in the competition; however, he had appeared in the COC so he couldn't play for Chelsea in that competion.

Not sure if the rules are the same in other domestic leagues regarding their respective league cups, but I'm assuming they are.

Hope this helps.

For UCL, they become cup tied when they see the field.
You may be right, but I think you're wrong. Not pressing you or arguing, but do you have a link? I think you're cup-tied once you're named to a match day roster (ie on the bench). I think you MIGHT even be cup-tied if you're merely named to the preliminary CL/UEFA Cup list of available players.

This is is why it's so important to do your transfer business (for the big clubs) in August b/c anyone worth having has been at least named to a match-day roster in one of the two competitions. (I think)

Originally posted by LesClaypool:

You may be right, but I think you're wrong. Not pressing you or arguing, but do you have a link? I think you're cup-tied once you're named to a match day roster (ie on the bench). I think you MIGHT even be cup-tied if you're merely named to the preliminary CL/UEFA Cup list of available players.

This is is why it's so important to do your transfer business (for the big clubs) in August b/c anyone worth having has been at least named to a match-day roster in one of the two competitions. (I think)
Everything I've ever read says "played" specifically. I haven't read the actual rules, but they are out there if you want to find them and read them. I believe I saw a link with the number being 17.4 (or something around there).

Originally posted by fsugrad06:

Everything I've ever read says "played" specifically. I haven't read the actual rules, but they are out there if you want to find them and read them. I believe I saw a link with the number being 17.4 (or something around there).
If Wikipedia is correct, it sounds like the player needs to actually play to be cup tied to a specific team.

Cup Tied

What is it with Frenchmen and head butting? Could've cost The Arsenal today's game, going down to 10 that early, and now he gets another 3 games off. Way to have your teammates' backs, Olivier!
mad.r191677.gif

Once again my Blues are choking away the BPL by leaving points on the pitch. Chelsea lived nearly the entire 2nd half in Southampton's deep end today and for some reason can't get one decent shot on goal. Meanwhile, City continues to bulldoze along. The lead will be the slightest single point after today's action.

I don't believe what I just saw. Burnley, fighting to avoid relegation, comes back in the 2nd half to draw at Man City to keep Chelsea three points clear. The more I watch this sport, the less I know.

This post was edited on 12/28 11:57 AM by NoleLizards

Once again my Blues are choking away the BPL by leaving points on the pitch. Chelsea lived nearly the entire 2nd half in Southampton's deep end today and for some reason can't get one decent shot on goal. Meanwhile, City continues to bulldoze along. The lead will be the slightest single point after today's action.

I don't believe what I just saw. Burnley, fighting to avoid relegation, comes back in the 2nd half to draw at Man City to keep Chelsea three points clear. The more I watch this sport, the less I know.

This post was edited on 12/28 11:57 AM by NoleLizards
Don't worry about the title until Jan. 31st. That is the biggest day of the campaign as City head to SW6. If Chelsea have a 6 point lead at that point (i.e. we win that match), the title is ours. If we are even on points (i.e. City win) they'll win the title as they'll end the campaign with a better goal differential and we won't control our own destiny at that point.

EDIT: somewhere in between and we have a real race that could come down to how far the teams progress in the Cups (Chelsea will already have played 3 more games at that point due to our progression in the COC).

Also City has a slight advantage as Chelsea play Liverpool in the 2nd leg of the Capitol One Cup on the 27th while City won't play mid week (I'm assuming that both Chelsea and City win their 3rd rd ties in the FA Cup and play the weekend of the 20th/21st for the 4th rd).
This post was edited on 12/28 9:04 PM by Rishi

I'm convinced that if you aren't a Chelsea supporter, then the team you DO support is playing for 2nd place. I look for the Chavs to start a New Year's run that will bury the rest of the Prem.

Having said that, hope springs eternal, etc., etc. But every other team out there has at least one serious flaw that Chelsea doesn't have. So, of The Arsenal can finish 2nd (or 3rd or 4th, for that matter), I'll have to be content with it.

Pretty sure Everton is trying to get relegated so I'm not watching them anymore and simply rooting against Chelsea.

I don't care who wins epl, even City, just not Chelsea
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Southampton u gotta love hope they keep this up.

Can everton Fire Martinez though still in round of 32 europa? They won't win europa but they need a major shake up. Now only 4 points from relegation!

Go tottenham!

Disgusting performance by The Arsenal today; no effort, no caring. And it shall remain so until Arsene either starts spending for depth or is shown the door.

Bad day for me...First Chelsea gets stomped, and then... Well, you know.
frown.r191677.gif

Gerrard to the MLS after this season. I knew he was out of Liverpool, but the MLS? The EPL's graveyard.

Gerrard to the MLS after this season. I knew he was out of Liverpool, but the MLS? The EPL's graveyard.
Thankfully, it's next season and not two years hence. I was afraid he'd be the centerpiece of Atlanta's new team when it starts.

Off-topic bragging moment...

I'm in London for a few days right now and I took a tour of Emirates Stadium today. F'ing incredible! Took about an hour and they give you full access to every part of the stadium. Only sad I won't get to see the boys play tomorrow vs Hull in the FA Cup, but luckily I caught a match here last year vs Fulham (2-0 Cazorla brace).

Happy New Year PGSF'ers!

Off-topic bragging moment...

I'm in London for a few days right now and I took a tour of Emirates Stadium today. F'ing incredible! Took about an hour and they give you full access to every part of the stadium. Only sad I won't get to see the boys play tomorrow vs Hull in the FA Cup, but luckily I caught a match here last year vs Fulham (2-0 Cazorla brace).

Happy New Year PGSF'ers!
My envy has no limits. I saw a game back in the day at Highbury, but hope some day to see the lads kick off in the Emirates.

Les: Do you serve tea here at the Emirates?

tour guide: No. All the cups are at Old Trafford and all the mugs are on the field!
laugh.r191677.gif

Joke on Chelsea site is:

Gerrard to sign with NYCFC and then get loaned to City. Finally gets to play with Lamps.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Podolski loved the Gunners.

Wish he loved playing a full 90 minutes, he'd still be here.

Gerrard...always hated him like a gator. Good riddance. Most overrated and overhyped player since Dan Kendra. If not for Milan's choke job, he's a trophyless twit.

Joke on Chelsea site is:

Gerrard to sign with NYCFC and then get loaned to City. Finally gets to play with Lamps.
3dgrin.r191677.gif
I'm not a Gerrard fan at all, and I'm glad to see him leave Liverpool. I do think it would be funny to see him at NYCFC and loaned back to City.

One annoying thing to me about his goal scoring is it seems a large percentage of his goals come from penalty kicks. I understand this is part of the game, but I personally don't like it...same with CR7. I respect goals from open play a lot more than penalty kicks from the spot.

Gotta love and find Real Madrids over scheduling sad for the players.

In s World Cup year they fly to US preseason. Then club cup in Morocco over part of winter break then friendlies in Middle East after because why not? Even more amazing the keep starting the best guys? Ronaldo and company have had no break for like 18 months unless hurt.

So today they looked dead tired and 23 game streak ended to Valencia. League wide open again.
Somehow they drew Atletico in round 16 cup aggregate this week and must play twice a week now for months to make up games and cups and chsmpions league.

Madrid may have beaten themselves this year and none of it Is the players fault.

Money hungry president commercializing Madrid and Ancelotti are at fault. Hopefully can win one trophy. Disappointing but expected I fear the losses will pile up now and who can blame them?

Originally posted by FSUdawg:

One annoying thing to me about his goal scoring is it seems a large percentage of his goals come from penalty kicks. I understand this is part of the game, but I personally don't like it...same with CR7. I respect goals from open play a lot more than penalty kicks from the spot.
CR gets his share of PK's, as does Messi and several other top goal scorers, but absolutely nothing like Gerrard. In the 2013/2014 season, Gerrard scored 12 goals, 11 were from the spot and the other was from a free kick, heck, today he doubled the # of open goals than he had all of last year.

As far as the FA Cup draw, MUFC drew the worst team left, Cambridge United (League Two-basically the 4th division and ranked 82nd out of the 92 league teams) and Arse, City and Chelsea also drew byes into the round of 16.

Fourth round draw:[/B]
Southampton / Ipswich v Crystal Palace
Cambridge United v Manchester United
Blackburn v Swansea
Chelsea v Millwall / Bradford
Derby v Scunthorpe / Chesterfield
Preston v Sheffield United
Birmingham v West Brom
Aston Villa v Bournemouth
Cardiff v Reading
Liverpool v Bolton
Burnley / Tottenham v Leicester
Brighton v Arsenal
Rochdale v Stoke
Sunderland v Fulham / Wolves
Doncaster / Bristol City v Everton / West Ham
Manchester City v Middlesbrough

Yeah pretty boring draw for fourth rd. Everton lineup should be interesting today as it's hard to find a motivated player in good form right now in that "system".

The gerrard pk stats are incredible.
46 career pk goals for pool.

Alan Shearer had more but he scored non pks goals much more frequently as well of course

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT