ADVERTISEMENT

New FUTBOL thread since the pinned one is broken...

Originally posted by kooterridesagain:
Yeah pretty boring draw for fourth rd. Everton lineup should be interesting today as it's hard to find a motivated player in good form right now in that "system".

The gerrard pk stats are incredible.
46 career pk goals for pool.

Alan Shearer had more but he scored non pks goals much more frequently as well of course

Posted from Rivals Mobile
I don't know how many goals Gerrard has overall, but Lamps had 211 at Chelsea with 49 coming from the spot.

Did some research on CR7's club goal scoring for both MUFC and RM (games up to 10/22/2014). One out of every six goals has come via the PK.

CR has played in 581 career club matches, scoring 394 career goals (including PK's), take away the PK's (66 successful PK's), and he has scored 328 goals in 581 matches. Goals per game (with PK's) vs goals per game (w/out PK's) is .68 GPG v .56 GPG!

Take away the PK's and CR7 averages .56 goals a game, can you imagine having a player on your team that guarantees you a goal every other game or 2 goals every 3 games with PK's? That is an insane percent given the fact that he is always heavily defended. This year, CR7's strike rate is 1.5 and if Real played the maximum # of games at 64, he would score 101 goals this campaign.

Basically, 83% of CR's goals have come from away from the spot, a number that I believe is higher than most would think, especially when I hear quite a bit that a majority of CR's goals come from the spot.

Some other stats that I dug up on CR7:

--2 goals have come in extra time.
--37 goals have come from free kicks.
--54 goals have come off of headers.
--2 goals have come off of his chest (that's a chick stat).
--69 goals have come off of the left foot.
--84 goals have come from minutes 76-90 or 22% of his goals have come when the game is winding down.
--Mesut Ozil has assisted CR 27 times, the most by any player.
--CR has scored 18 goals against Sevilla, 14 times against Atletico and 13 times against Barcelona, so 2 of the top three opponents he has scored against happen to be Real's bitter rivals.
--CR has 128 career club assists, and add that to his total goals of 394, CR has accounted for 522 goals in 581 games, or he has accounted for .90 goals a game during his club years.

As far as the PK's, I could not find a stat that shows if CR was the person fouled when he has scored on a PK, or if it was CR that had a goal scoring chance taken away.

I think the above stats show that CR's high goal totals are not attributed to high percentage of PK's.

This post was edited on 1/8 8:47 PM by Manch.

Originally posted by FSUdawg:

One annoying thing to me about his goal scoring is it seems a large percentage of his goals come from penalty kicks. I understand this is part of the game, but I personally don't like it...same with CR7. I respect goals from open play a lot more than penalty kicks from the spot.
2013/14 season stats for club only:

Gerrard: 12 goals, with 11 coming from the spot, or 92% of his goals came from a PK.

CR7: 51 goals, with 10 coming from the spot, or 20% of his goals came from a PK (up from his career average of 16.7% from the spot).

Also, since CR7 made the move to Real, he has made 273 appearances, scoring a blistering 285 goals and assisting on 74 goals, for an average of 1.31 goals+assists a game.

I think CR7's goals from open play has been evident enough and he has scored a decent number of PK's, but the fact that PK's are a high percentage of his goals total is a myth. While at Real, CR7 has scored on 54 PK's and he has scored 23 goals on free kicks. This next number is one that really makes me say "WOW"...while at Real, CR7 has 42 goals from outside the box, and to me, that number is staggering, so for almost every PK that CR connects on from the 12 yard spot, he compliments those sitters with a strike from open play from a distance of 18 yards or greater, and now add the 23 free kicks, that's 65 goals from beyond the 18.

Just to throw this out there, 23% of Michael Jordan's career points came from the spot.

Originally posted by Manch.:
Just to throw this out there, 23% of Michael Jordan's career points came from the spot.
I appreciate all the research and stats you have compiled Manch. As you say, it is a myth that CR7 scores a large percentage from the spot. Maybe he is scoring more there during the games I actually see, or maybe ESPN shows a lot of times when he scores from the spot, I don't know. It has just been a perception I have had over the past couple years about him.

The interesting thing about the Jordan stat is he directly caused the foul which led to his points from the spot (I'm guessing you are talking about Free Throws). With CR7 that isn't always the case. It is part of the game, but I think it would be a lot more interesting if the player fouled in the box was the player required to take the shot from the spot.

Your stats about Gerrard pretty much backup my point. Other than Penalty & Free Kicks, Gerrard is not a prolific goal scorer

Today . . . The Arsenal played like the club they are. Alexi is a footballer!! Am I the only one though, that got nervous when Debuchy was stretchered of the pitch?

and I STILL HATE RYAN SHAWCROSS!

Originally posted by NoleInBama:
Today . . . The Arsenal played like the club they are. Alexi is a footballer!! Am I the only one though, that got nervous when Debuchy was stretchered of the pitch?

Yes, but still typical of The Arsenal. Feasting on minnows, then falling flat against the big boys.

OOTH, they're now only 1 goal differential behind United for 4th place, so there's that. Sanchez is a steal, and if Ozil can return to his old form, and the Ox and Walcott, along with some others can pick it up a little, 3rd place could even be possible.

Originally posted by seminoleed:

Yes, but still typical of The Arsenal. Feasting on minnows, then falling flat against the big boys.

OOTH, they're now only 1 goal differential behind United for 4th place, so there's that. Sanchez is a steal, and if Ozil can return to his old form, and the Ox and Walcott, along with some others can pick it up a little, 3rd place could even be possible.
Ed, as you said, it is typical Arsenal feasting on the minnows of EPL. Next week will be a different story when they play Man. City. Unfortunately, even with everyone starting to come back healthy, they are still short on the back 4. The Debuchy injury today didn't help as he will now be out for about 6 weeks.

It is well past the time for Wenger to pull the trigger on a CB transfer, and I am not talking about a potential 17-year old prospect. Arsenal needs someone proven that can step in immediately.

Originally posted by FSUdawg:

Ed, as you said, it is typical Arsenal feasting on the minnows of EPL. Next week will be a different story when they play Man. City. Unfortunately, even with everyone starting to come back healthy, they are still short on the back 4. The Debuchy injury today didn't help as he will now be out for about 6 weeks.

It is well past the time for Wenger to pull the trigger on a CB transfer, and I am not talking about a potential 17-year old prospect. Arsenal needs someone proven that can step in immediately.
Agreed. And if he doesn't, it's time to pull the trigger on Wenger. His pennypinching ways have left us in the position we're in.

They are also a point behind United, not just 1 GD.

Originally posted by Rishi:

They are also a point behind United, not just 1 GD.
My bad. Looked at the wrong column of the table.

Van Persie, Falcao, Rooney, Di Maria and they can't get a single goal at home against So'ton, unbelievable.

Arse looking good again!

Transfer rumors are running wild again, for everyone.

550 pounds (including wages) for Messi???
laugh.r191677.gif

So CR7 wins the Ballon d'Or, and deservingly so. I think the year that he had was the best that I've been able to watch in my lifetime (gonna be 45), as when the original Ronaldo and other greats played, we were not so fortunate to watch many of their games, except for maybe the World Cup. Again, CR7 wasn't great in 2014, he was flat out almost unstoppable at times, and his hat trick vs Sweden at the end of 2013, was perhaps, the greatest 30 minutes of footie that I've seen, as CR and Ibra put on a clinic for the world to see, so CR's run has been almost going on for about 2 years now.

The first comment that I read: "Ronaldo is Flopper like LeBron, also most of his goals are from penalty, that's why he's PENALDO.
Look at his performance In World Cup. Pathetic !!!

Messi is STILL The best player !".

The PK myth again and the fact that Portugal did not survive the group of death at the WC. Messi won the Golden Ball at the WC, but I believe that there were three to four players, at least, that had a better tourney. I think that while CR was healthy for most of 2014, Messi was hampered by nagging injuries, fatigue, a sluggish Barcelona team and personal issues like the tax evasion charges. I also believe that with the firepower that Argentina had, they should have done better while Portugal had CR and 10 defenders stuffed inside the 18.

Messi beat Neuer by .04 percent for 2nd place, I can not find a vote total. I know CR, Messi and Neuer garnered 69% of the vote and that they were the 3 finalists, so I take it that the voting was done when the pool of candidates was at 23, and the voting wasn't done when the 3 finalists were announced, that would explain the other 31% of votes.

It's amazing that since 2008. Messi and CR have won the player of the year award, and they've won every cup and trophy except for the World Cup. A healthy, and happy (he's currently not all that happy with Barca) should bounce back in 2015, and his 2 years younger than CR.

Tim Howard's book stated that when Howard was with United, Howard would stay after practice to stop shots from players like Ruud van Nistelrooy, and when they left the field, CR was still out there working on his game. Players like CR and Messi don't win 7 player of the year awards by being lazy.

This post was edited on 1/13 10:09 AM by Manch.

Those quotes on cr7 are just juvenile don't even dignify a response.

He shouldn't have played in the World Cup but who could blame him? He risked some legacy and a serious injury to give it a go. Pepe ruined their world cup but cr7 always takes the fall.

I loved Koemen as a player and was surprised he took Southampton after they sold everyone. Well he's gotta be EPL coach of year at this point. Everyone expected them relegated.,

Originally posted by kooterridesagain:
Those quotes on cr7 are just juvenile don't even dignify a response.

He shouldn't have played in the World Cup but who could blame him? He risked some legacy and a serious injury to give it a go. Pepe ruined their world cup but cr7 always takes the fall.

I loved Koemen as a player and was surprised he took Southampton after they sold everyone. Well he's gotta be EPL coach of year at this point. Everyone expected them relegated.,

Certainly the feel-good story of the season thus far. Major over-achievers.

Watching ESPN FC, and they said that MLS is naming its MVP award after Landon Donovan...How cool is that?!?!

When does the league retire his number, ala Jackie Robinson? He's won the award once and was a finalist only one other time, but then again, Cy Young never won the Cy Young Award.

Massive result for The Arsenal, 2-0 over the Noisy Neighbors. First time I've seen the entire 11 play as hard as Sanchez does. Cazorla was incredible, Mertesacker controlled the middle, Ospina made a great bid for #1 keeper--even Wenger managed in the Jose style. I am stunned--pleased, but stunned.

The Gunners "OSSSSSS Pina" chant every time he made a goal kick or a clearance off of a back pass amused me. First time I've heard it.

Also I like the Hey Jude/Giroud chant they use (I've heard that before).

To give a counter, I hate that Chelsea supporters have been chanting "We're top of the league" the last couple of months whenever we take the lead in a match.

I was impressed that Arsenal was able to stay within the framework of a "visitors gameplan against a big team" for the entire first half and all but the first 10-15 mins of the 2nd half (when they were entirely too open IMO).

Also like that Arsene couldn't remove the smirk from his face during the post-game interview.

As a Chelsea supporter I say thank you. Having a 5 point lead going into the fixture with City is huge. If we can win the clash on the 31st we regain our 8 point lead and have (for all intents and purposes) put the league to bed (excluding a massive injury wave of United/Arsenal proportions).

I kind of miss when a few years ago they used to consistently do a "Super Sunday" on Super Bowl Sunday involving Arsenal, Liverpool, United and Chelsea. Was a great way to start the day. This year the only "Sky 7" matchup is the Chelsea/City fixture and it's on Saturday.

The traveling Goons were as loud as I've ever heard them before. They serenaded Giroud forever after his goal.

Cazorla's footwork was a thing to behold yesterday. Easily MOTM. I love that little f*cker!

Best part of the day was that we won on a day when Alexis wasn't nearly the best player on the pitch. He's been carrying Arsenal so much, it was good to see they can win a huge match w/out him at his best.

So glad to see Coquelin getting his shot. I've been a fan of his since I saw him, and a then unknown 16-year old Jack Wilshere, light up Real Madrid in the Emirates Cup several years ago. He's already world's better than Flamini. I hope he keeps getting a run of games.

Also super impressed w/Hector Bellerin at RB. He was nails on defense and didn't get caught out in the attack when City ran the counter. Don't know if it's true, but I read an article on one of the Arsenal blogs that said he was the fastest guy on the squad, even faster than Walcott, pre-knee injury. He's certainly a better option than Chambers, and I think he may give Debuchy a run for the starters role when he comes back.

Yesterday was a delight as a Gunners fan. It had been 16 matches since we beat Man U, Man City, or Chelsea...which is embarrassing and ridiculous....but still, it was a fact. Glad to end that skid!

Originally posted by LesClaypool:
The traveling Goons were as loud as I've ever heard them before. They serenaded Giroud forever after his goal.

Cazorla's footwork was a thing to behold yesterday. Easily MOTM. I love that little f*cker!

Best part of the day was that we won on a day when Alexis wasn't nearly the best player on the pitch. He's been carrying Arsenal so much, it was good to see they can win a huge match w/out him at his best.

So glad to see Coquelin getting his shot. I've been a fan of his since I saw him, and a then unknown 16-year old Jack Wilshere, light up Real Madrid in the Emirates Cup several years ago. He's already world's better than Flamini. I hope he keeps getting a run of games.

Also super impressed w/Hector Bellerin at RB. He was nails on defense and didn't get caught out in the attack when City ran the counter. Don't know if it's true, but I read an article on one of the Arsenal blogs that said he was the fastest guy on the squad, even faster than Walcott, pre-knee injury. He's certainly a better option than Chambers, and I think he may give Debuchy a run for the starters role when he comes back.

Yesterday was a delight as a Gunners fan. It had been 16 matches since we beat Man U, Man City, or Chelsea...which is embarrassing and ridiculous....but still, it was a fact. Glad to end that skid!
Don't forget the play of Aaron Ramsey. Was moved back I believe to more of a holding position and played befits defense as well as offense. He's a top class footballer.

It's tough to figure out what the crowd is singing, but Giroud's song was clear as day, and the City paging system was playing the Beattles before the match started. The Gunner section was loud as f*ck yesterday, they were ready to break that 16 game slide against the recent title holders (City, Chelsea and United).

City whining that the Canadian, Monreal, dived on his penalty......
laugh.r191677.gif

My favorite is the 12 Days of Cantona......12 Cantona's, 11 Cantona's, 10 Cantona's.....

My second favorite was when Tevez went to City and City hadn't won any hardware in 34 years:

Who's that twat from Argentina?
Who's that money-grabbing whore?
Carlos Tevez is his name,
And he hasn't got a brain,
And he won't be winning trophies anymore!

Would love Aaron Ramsey on United.

I thought that Arsenal played some class ball yesterday, it's gonna be a scrum for 4th place, especiallty if Southie doesn't let up.

Strong rumors are a Bale for De Gea swap this summer, and of course United throwing in a ton of money. United has never been smart with money. Roma bought Strootman 2 years ago for about 14 million, and now Roma is asking in the neighborhood of 100 million (I think it's pound, every outlet reports something different in terms of dollars, pounds and Euros). Also read that Real is ready to offer Juvi upwards $79 million for Pogba. Sorry, even if money grew on trees, I would not pay that much for Bale, Pogba or Strootman, the ransom's that the teams are asking. I would value De Gea at $50 and then throw in another $25 for Bale, but United needs a holding center mid and some defense. Vidic is the most missed player in recent memory,

My favorite song, even though he isn't my favorite player, is this:

How does it feel to be Tottenham?
How does it feel to be small?
You sold Bale....
We signed Mesut Ozil...
Mesut Ozil....
Mesut Ozil.

I also love it, any time when the Gunners are waxing someone, they sing, "Are you Tottenham? Are you Tottenham? Are you Tottenham, in disguise?" Though I think that's sort of a universal cheer where you just sub in your rivals' name. A lot of those chants are like that.

What other teams celebrate the day they mathematically finish ahead of their bitterest rivals? St. Totteringham's Day, for the uninitiated.

You sold Bale....
We signed Mesut Ozil...
Mesut Ozil....
Mesut Ozil.

I also love it, any time when the Gunners are waxing someone, they sing, "Are you Tottenham? Are you Tottenham? Are you Tottenham, in disguise?" Though I think that's sort of a universal cheer where you just sub in your rivals' name. A lot of those chants are like that.
Les, heard that song for the first time this year and laughed my arse off, some of these cheers/songs are really cheesy, but they bust my gut!

Another thing that I love is when Aston Villa is at home, and they are tied or up, against a top team and that other team has a corner kick in the final 15 minutes and the fans pass the ball around in the stands, trying to kill time, and the fans pretend that they tried to throw the ball back on the field and they have that 'oooops' look on their face when they throw the ball behind them another 10 rows, and then the other team finally gets a ball to kick when all of the sudden, the original ball gets thrown back on the field, causing another display. Aston Villa's version of lemon thrower!!!!!!!
laugh.r191677.gif

Are there any good Gerrard slipping songs?
laugh.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 1/19 3:18 PM by Manch.

Originally posted by Manch.:

You sold Bale....
We signed Mesut Ozil...
Mesut Ozil....
Mesut Ozil.

Les, heard that song for the first time this year and laughed my arse off, some of these cheers/songs are really cheesy, but they bust my gut!

Another thing that I love is when Aston Villa is at home, and they are tied or up, against a top team and that other team has a corner kick in the final 15 minutes and the fans pass the ball around in the stands, trying to kill time, and the fans pretend that they tried to throw the ball back on the field and they have that 'oooops' look on their face when they throw the ball behind them another 10 rows, and then the other team finally gets a ball to kick when all of the sudden, the original ball gets thrown back on the field, causing another display. Aston Villa's version of lemon thrower!!!!!!!
laugh.r191677.gif

Are there any good Gerrard slipping songs?
laugh.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 1/19 3:18 PM by Manch.
I expect you'll hear this quite a bit tomorrow and next midweek when Chelsea play Liverpool in the semis of the Capitol One Cup:

Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
He slips on his f*cking arse,
He gave it to Demba Ba,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.

Don't you wonder how these chants/songs ever get started? I do.
My wife asked me the same thing. How does it go from a drunken guy at the bar, to 74,000 fans singing it, to it becoming more legendary than God Save the Queen?

Most of them are so bland and corny, you would think a 3rd grader made it up.

I think every team has a rendition of "The Saints Go Marching In".

Some are really good folk type songs, but man, some are just so lousy, I almost get embarrassed listening at home.

Here is a very clever Liverpool tune:

Who the f*ck are Man United?
And the reds go marching on on on...

As a United fan, it has taken me years to recognize what the f*ck they are singing at Old Trafford.

Here's another one aimed at Fernando Torres (who I loved as a Liverpool player):

He's half a girl he's half a boy, Torres torres
he looks just like a transvestite, Torres Torres
he wears a frock, he loves the c**k he sells his area on alberts dock, Fernando Torres, Carraghers bit on the side.[/I][/B]

Here are the United faithful singing the Gerrard slip song.

Gerrard slip song

This FA Cup weekend is starting out to be "The Weekend the MInnows Flexed Their Muscles". FIrst Cambridge forces a replay against United, and now City and Chelsea both LOSE at HOME--to Boro and Bradford City, respectively, both by two goals. Pool and Bolton are scoreless at the half, and Leicester just took down Hotpants. Brighton must be licking their chops at the prospect of The Arsenal tomorrow.

I listened to the Arsenal/Brighton match on the radio yesterday. Man was it nerve-wracking, but an overall really fun experience. Some sports translate well on the radio...Futbol is one of them, IMO.

Rosicky had a pretty sweet volley yesterday to secure the win for the Goons. Any of you Gunners fans see it on Youtube? The look-away pass leading up to it was my favorite.

Little Mozart goal

Arsenal gets to host Middlesbrough in the 5th round. What's up with Thierry Welbeck?

What a weekend, I have never seen so many upsets of this magnitude, this early in the tourney. With 16 teams left, there could be as few as 7 PL teams left, and as many as 10. One would think that the object now is to avoid Arse, United or Liverpool in the draw, but like I said, one would think.

I would think the FA would like to see Arsenal v Man United as both teams have been to the finals 18 times, winning 11 Cups a piece, with United losing on PK's to Arsenal in 2005, the last time that Arse and MUFC met in the finals. Arse also won the only other time the two teams met in the finals, 3-2 in 1979, in perhaps the greatest final 5 minutes in Cup finals history. Also, they 1999 semi-final replay was again, perhaps, one of the best FA Cup games in recent memory (Giggs' goal in overtime is in my top 3 MUFC goals of all time).

United playing to a 0-0 draw made me sick, until I saw Chelsea and City lose, Liverpool draw and Arse holding on tight. Did anyone see the pitch for the United game? I can't believe the FA lets teams play on that. Anyway, I just simply can't understand why the F*** United can not score, I am dumbfounded.

Draw for FA Cup fifth round[/B]
Crystal Palace v Liverpool/Bolton
Arsenal v Middlesbrough
Aston Villa v Leicester
West Brom v West Ham
Bradford v Sunderland/Fulham
Blackburn v Stoke
Derby v Reading
Preston/Sheffield Utd v Cambridge Utd/Man Utd

I listened to the Arsenal/Brighton match on the radio yesterday. Man was it nerve-wracking, but an overall really fun experience. Some sports translate well on the radio...Futbol is one of them, IMO.

Rosicky had a pretty sweet volley yesterday to secure the win for the Goons. Any of you Gunners fans see it on Youtube? The look-away pass leading up to it was my favorite.
Good stuff, had a little Larry Bird thing going on there.

This is pretty f*cked up!

"Scenes over here in Belgium where Standard Liège are playing their arch rival Anderlecht. Steven Defour plays for Anderlecht now but was once captain of Standard. Obviously, a hostile reception was expected, but I don't think anyone expected this":

353375.jpg

Lampard on for City.

Pretty decent game, especially since I hate City just as much as I hate Liverpool, and Chelsea is not at the top of my list of teams that I dislike, but they are probably on there.

Chelsea was just holding on for dear life for the draw following that 120-minute battle vs. Pool Tuesday. considering that they were missing their top scorer and assist man, I should be happy with the draw. Can the Blues maintain/increase this 5 point lead with Costa out against Villa and Everton? Time will tell, but I'm just very happy to see them get a full week off without fixtures.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT