ADVERTISEMENT

NHL Playoff Thread

NoleMoreTears

Seminole Insider
Oct 21, 2002
A bunch of our old posts got deleted in the changeover.

Some great series right now. I caught a good chunk of the Bolts and Caps games last night. As expected, Detroit proves tough at home and the PP is making a difference. I think Tampa will win the series.

The Caps/Islanders game was pretty entertaining with both teams drawing iron in key situations.

Not sure who stays up for it or is interested, but the Flames/Canucks is really, really fun to watch. They hate each other, the fans hate each other, and the action is high drama. The young Calgary line with Johnny Gaudreau, Sam Bennett and Monahan is a treat.

Any hockey fan should watch some of this series.

Stamkos played just like he did in Game 1. He didn't show. Johnson and Stamkos each had prime opportunities to score and couldn't execute. Also, Bishop has to stop this pattern of games where he's cold/hot/cold, etc. Efforts like games 1 and 3 will mean early exits for Tampa Bay.

A bunch of our old posts got deleted in the changeover.

Some great series right now. I caught a good chunk of the Bolts and Caps games last night. As expected, Detroit proves tough at home and the PP is making a difference. I think Tampa will win the series.

The Caps/Islanders game was pretty entertaining with both teams drawing iron in key situations.

Not sure who stays up for it or is interested, but the Flames/Canucks is really, really fun to watch. They hate each other, the fans hate each other, and the action is high drama. The young Calgary line with Johnny Gaudreau, Sam Bennett and Monahan is a treat.

Any hockey fan should watch some of this series.

Bolts are really snake bitten, will likely set the record for goalie interference calls, but still hoping the puck will start bouncing their way. I too have been watching Nucks Flames, intensity is through the roof, very comparable to Habs Sens if not more so.

Stamkos played just like he did in Game 1. He didn't show. Johnson and Stamkos each had prime opportunities to score and couldn't execute. Also, Bishop has to stop this pattern of games where he's cold/hot/cold, etc. Efforts like games 1 and 3 will mean early exits for Tampa Bay.

Bishop had zero chance on the second goal where Abdelkader (who just keeps on improving) made the feed. That's just a terrible play by Hedman on the PK. Atrocious and it unfortunately changed the game.

Stamkos made a couple big errors in the 5-3 which you figure if they score probably sends the Bolts to a win. Boyle with a great shorty chance but just didn't pull it to the backhand enough to move Mrazek. I do enjoy watching Palat and Kucherov.

Good to see Ottawa finally win one, they've been in every game, maybe they can pull another out of their ass and put some pressure on Montreal. Bolts can't afford to lose tonight obviously, Bishop needs to be sharp and Stamkos needs to produce some offense. Hopefully Garrison will get some minutes tonight, although you wonder about his true readiness and chemistry at this point. Ducks surprisingly sweep aside the Jets in four and Pittsburgh just can't generate any offense, Marty with the nice play to set up the OT goal.

I have loved watching the west so far.

The ducks and jets had been nothing but hard hits after hard hits.

And what the flames have been able to do with the Canucks is great. They are a young team and will learn from the experience of winning a series, maybe. I don't know what will happen if they run into a more physical team though and the west has plenty of them.

I didn't think the wings would be a good match up for the lightning. That's a tough forest round match up. babcock is a elite coach.

It's unfortunate the sens couldn't have pulled out a win earlier than game 4. But you never know. Anderson has answered after getting inserted into the line up. Ottawa got to hot to early and has run out of gas or magic imo.

Hoping the top see a islanders rangers match up that would be fun to watch.

2 up-and-coming players I really like in the Montreal series. These are not flashy guys but very solid and worth watching.

Ottawa #74 D Mark Borowiecki. Very strong defensive player with excellent reads. Tough kid. Ottawa had him with Karlsson during the last minute. He's seeing the ice very very well.

Montreal #21 Devante Smith-Pelley: this guy WRECKS people. Under the radar since he's been in Anaheim most of his career. I'm still not sure why the Ducks moved him as he's also effective in special teams.

What a confidence booster for the bolts tonight. Hopefully it can get the scoring going for them.

Holy crap! I don't believe what I just saw! Johnson didn't quit. The Lightning stayed alive and got a major boost for Saturday. Go Blackhawks.....because I want to go to a 3 p.m. game!

Other than Game 2 Stamkos still hasn't impressed me in the playoffs. He really needs to wake up.

Stamkos has to have something wrong with him. Players like him don't just disappear like he has.

Tyler Johnson with the biggest goal of the year for Tampa. Darren Helm is a darn good skater and Johnson just blew by him. Huge play!!

Vancouver stays alive and thoroughly out-played Calgary.

Stamkos has to have something wrong with him. Players like him don't just disappear like he has.
I said the same thing. He is playing really hard though. It just seems to me like he is pressing too hard and being focused on by the Wings. If you watch him skate he is really skating hard every time he is on ice.

I was going absolutely nuts when they tied it up and won it. That is the kind of thing that could get this team kick started.

I said the same thing. He is playing really hard though. It just seems to me like he is pressing too hard and being focused on by the Wings. If you watch him skate he is really skating hard every time he is on ice.

I was going absolutely nuts when they tied it up and won it. That is the kind of thing that could get this team kick started.
He has been hustling I was flipping around between the other hockey game and the Celtics game. I caught a clip of him diving to make a nice blocked shot from the high slot.

What a come back by the Flames. Johnny Hockey is playing very well, it's great to see him succeed in the NHL.

What a horrible showing by the Bolts tonight. After the way game 4 ended I figured they would carry some momentum into game 5, but that did not happen. Not that this was sole reason they lost the game, but this was possibly the poorest officiated game I have see all season. If those two officials are allowed to officiate the next round then there is really something wrong with the NHL. They say they want fast and exciting but yet they continue to let big and slow take that away. Oh well. Must win game 6 and try and bring it back to Amalie.

Last edited:
Game 7 tonight.....Islander's defense is in shambles....this is going to be a very tall task.

If they get out of this series and play the Rangers as physically as they played the Caps we have a very good shot at being them....first things first.

GO ISLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lightning playing really well. Mrazek with some unreal saves to keep this a game, it should be 4-0. And the refs are ridiculously inconsistent with their calls, both ways.

Lightning playing really well. Mrazek with some unreal saves to keep this a game, it should be 4-0. And the refs are ridiculously inconsistent with their calls, both ways.
Refs r horrendous!!!!! No call on the head shot on Kucherov??? It is embarrassing how bad they are.

Stop whining about refs already.

I actually found the Caps/Isles game kinda dull, especially the first 2 periods. I respect the defensive focus - there were some great gap controls - but the Isles sitting back in a 1-4 for almost 2 periods was really not that exciting. The best thing to happen to that game was the Caps scoring so the Isles finally had to open up a bit. 3rd period was excellent. Can the Caps finally get past the Rangers?

The west is gonna have some really fun action - things seem a bit more wide open with their teams.

Good luck to the Bolts tomorrow!!

I feel like that is why the Islanders lost. They didn't attack. I hate trap sit back and wait for a break down to score.

Yeah I agree the 1-4 was just nauseating. I didn't have a rooting interest but I felt like I was watching the 1995 Devils for a while. NYI Power play was just abysmally bad (and the Caps' PK was very good).

The Islanders played hard but they really need some more dynamic offensive guys. Cizikas was their best playmaker, Tavares and Okposo were okay but there wasn't much beyond that in the periods I watched. Losing Visnovsky hurt them a bit.

All that said it was good to have the Isles back in the playoffs.

The islanders sat back a little perhaps because they had 2 defensemen playing with almost no experience at all - if they had Hamonic from the start they would have prolly won the series - not to mention they knew before their last reg season game they were going to need to win that game for home ice against the caps and they could not beat Columbus - the jackets were something like 15-1 in their last games of the season....

The islanders sat back a little perhaps because they had 2 defensemen playing with almost no experience at all - if they had Hamonic from the start they would have prolly won the series - not to mention they knew before their last reg season game they were going to need to win that game for home ice against the caps and they could not beat Columbus - the jackets were something like 15-1 in their last games of the season....

could be - am I wrong or didn't they have the same active roster as in game 6?

They didn't sit back in game 6 hardly at all and the action was undeniably better. And once the Caps scored in Game 7 the Isles' plan changed completely - for the better!

I think the lineup for 6 and 7 were the same - maybe one change in the forwards.

They took it to the Caps in game 6 on the Island just as the Caps took it to them in game 7 - which is precisely why they really needed to win the season finale that would have given them home ice in the first round.

Doesn't make a shit of difference now, but I believe they would have matched up really well with the Rangers - they have almost as much speed and the Isles are a little more physical than the Rangers. I hope the Rangers sweep the Caps and put the kind of hurt on them that only heals the day after the Caps season ends....

Detroit down Kronwall and Zydlicky but it's game 7 so it'll all be left out there.

Good luck Bolts' fans!!

Congrats Bolts great win this evening. Detroit is never a easy out.

I'm pulling for you big time vs Montréal. i think they take it in 6. Got to get that first win in Montréal though.

Now that was a great game 7! Further proof that shots on goal are not a great statistic. The action was high flying and Detroit went for broke. Bishop made some huge plays and there were prolly 3-4 goals that just slid off a Wings' stick or just out of reach. That's how the playoffs go - you need some luck.

Braydon Coburn with his first goal in almost 6 months! A chance at revenge vs. Montreal.

If anything, their layoff is to the Bolts' advantage. Carey Price was white hot and maybe a break in action will cool him off. He was just unreal vs. Ottawa. Vezina and league MVP IMO.

That was an intense game 7 last night & a great win for Tampa. The key moment of the game quite likely came in the final seconds of the 2nd period, when the puck skipped over the stick of a Red Wing (don't recall who it was), right in front of an open net. Would've been a goal for sure, instead it skidded harmlessly to the corner as the clock ran out. Ironically, it was maybe Detroit's best scoring chance, and it isn't a SOG in the books.
I think if he gets that tip-in, Detroit wins the game. Glad he didn't.

It was Tatar who was all over the ice last night. The Helm, Tatar, and Datsyuk line had at least 3 of those types of chances but that's the way the game goes.

For the next series Tampa will need to be careful with the goalie interference thing. That was a weird issue last year but they took a couple of those penalties vs. Detroit. Montreal's PP is going to give Tampa trouble because of how well PK Subban moves the puck. He is the best passer in the league right now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT