ADVERTISEMENT

No Elsa Hand-Wringing??

FisherWilcoxTaggart Survivor

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Nov 22, 2020
A little disappointed the Locker Room is not in full panic mode....God knows my local news/weather clowns are trying to pump it up.

Hope everyone on the west coast up through Big Bend escapes unscathed.

Reactions: canoli
From the looks of it Cedar Key could take a beating as the wind comes around from the south and with a high high tide tomorrow just after noon.

sweHfKZqaaYUY5CvrqQRN89QlhvfGyTeakgsL1eylVznXUajyI_eJRk2SQ2QqfGSjqN0TrvYU5LNHiirJey1LXGkH1BG9HGuHwjPJ0c4IDNJHEe0AmxY

Last edited:
Thankfully a big nothing burger here near Tampa. Water came up over the dock and probably will again around noon at high tide but no issues.

It’s just a regular rainy day in Jax so far but I expect we’ll get some good gusts this afternoon. Not a big bad storm anyway.

Reactions: MagNoleA
It’s just a regular rainy day in Jax so far but I expect we’ll get some good gusts this afternoon. Not a big bad storm anyway.
Media STRAINING to portray this as a major deal. At what point do Americans simply turn off the media and insist on the publication of fair/objective “facts”? I mean, if they will inflate and distort things WE CAN ALL SEE AND PERCEIVE, what are they doing with stuff that is more “behind the curtain”? Rhetorical question, of course…..

I think the storm passed right over the Busy Bee in Live Oak. The tourists are trapped inside - shopping.

• Haha
Reactions: Bamanoles
Media STRAINING to portray this as a major deal. At what point do Americans simply turn off the media and insist on the publication of fair/objective “facts”? I mean, if they will inflate and distort things WE CAN ALL SEE AND PERCEIVE, what are they doing with stuff that is more “behind the curtain”? Rhetorical question, of course…..
they were desperate for it to be a hurricane yesterday. tried their damn hardest to find ways to work in hurricane all day.

the best part of the storm for us (Ft Myers) was during the early hours. Lots of rain, lots of rumbling but no real threat. Didn't even see any minor tree limbs down.

It’s not just Americans. In fact I think the American media has taken on the sensationalism that has existed elsewhere for a long time. The only way to correct it is to establish that ALL media is biased and agenda driven. Not just the ones you disagree with. Once that fact is universally accepted, tearing down the mechanism might be easier.

they were desperate for it to be a hurricane yesterday. tried their damn hardest to find ways to work in hurricane all day.

the best part of the storm for us (Ft Myers) was during the early hours. Lots of rain, lots of rumbling but no real threat. Didn't even see any minor tree limbs down.
Saw the "standard routine" of reporters wearing rain slickers and trying to give the impression of imminent downpours. Then there were breathless reports of "shelters" opening at So-and-So School at ___ p.m. But the one at XYZ School is open right now if you need it. Then flash over to the weather guy who ominously warned us of the constant risk of tornadoes, and reminding us that -- even though conditions have been and remain unremarkable -- "we are not out of the woods yet." The planes will next fly over the storm at ___p.m., and then there will up an "update" at ___ p.m.

Yet another reporter spoke of "linemen" flocking to Florida to help with the restoration of power, blah-blah-blah. Then they flashed over to a press conference of some "public safety office" where 3-4 overweight flunkies droned on about drinking water, perishable foods and prescription medications. Then they hit a similar press conference from a neighboring county. Rinse and repeat....back to the chick wearing the rain slicker.

I was told to bring in all of my pool furniture and hanging plants. I did none of that. Everything was 100% fine. We had a good summer-time rain. No flooding. No significant winds. No power outage. No trees down. No damage whatsoever.

The media loves to manufacture and exaggerate "news." The end.

Saw the "standard routine" of reporters wearing rain slickers and trying to give the impression of imminent downpours. Then there were breathless reports of "shelters" opening at So-and-So School at ___ p.m. But the one at XYZ School is open right now if you need it. Then flash over to the weather guy who ominously warned us of the constant risk of tornadoes, and reminding us that -- even though conditions have been and remain unremarkable -- "we are not out of the woods yet." The planes will next fly over the storm at ___p.m., and then there will up an "update" at ___ p.m.

Yet another reporter spoke of "linemen" flocking to Florida to help with the restoration of power, blah-blah-blah. Then they flashed over to a press conference of some "public safety office" where 3-4 overweight flunkies droned on about drinking water, perishable foods and prescription medications. Then they hit a similar press conference from a neighboring county. Rinse and repeat....back to the chick wearing the rain slicker.

I was told to bring in all of my pool furniture and hanging plants. I did none of that. Everything was 100% fine. We had a good summer-time rain. No flooding. No significant winds. No power outage. No trees down. No damage whatsoever.

The media loves to manufacture and exaggerate "news." The end.
The Tampa Bay Times (which generally does very good work) had an article discussing how you should talk to your children about the storm. I laughed out loud when I saw the headline. “Hey, it’s going to rain and be windy tonight, it’ll be over when you wake up, now go to bed.”

I flipped on the Weather channel last night for a bit before the 11pm NHC update. The main hurricane expert there was talking about how disorganized the storm was and that it appeared to be weakening significantly because of shear and dry air etc and that the Hurricane Hunters have been flying thru the storm for several hours and had not found any hurricane force winds. Then 2 minutes later the 11pm update comes out with 75 mph hurricane force winds. I was like WTF is this? So, definitely some shenanigans with the National Hurricane Center going on.

I flipped on the Weather channel last night for a bit before the 11pm NHC update. The main hurricane expert there was talking about how disorganized the storm was and that it appeared to be weakening significantly because of shear and dry air etc and that the Hurricane Hunters have been flying thru the storm for several hours and had not found any hurricane force winds. Then 2 minutes later the 11pm update comes out with 75 mph hurricane force winds. I was like WTF is this? So, definitely some shenanigans with the National Hurricane Center going on.
Follow the money. Agencies that focus on hurricanes, infectious diseases or whatever tend to portray those issues as VERY, VERY SERIOUS (so they can get more funding, and/or pay raises). That’s not to say that the issues are never serious — sometimes they really are — but these agencies have a vested interest in always portraying the issues as dramatically as possible.

Well we DID have a tornado. Very close to my house but thank heavens it just missed. May have fatalities. 😦

Yikes. It's a good thing I didn't leave for the gym. Major damage between here and there. I would have been caught in it for sure. 😱

The Tampa Bay Times (which generally does very good work) had an article discussing how you should talk to your children about the storm. I laughed out loud when I saw the headline. “Hey, it’s going to rain and be windy tonight, it’ll be over when you wake up, now go to bed.”
Storms can be scary for kids. I see nothing wrong with explaining to kids about the storm, what it could do and how everyone will keep safe.

Most of the coverage I saw seemed to suggest the only real risk with Elsa was flooding in low lying areas. I'm sure the some national stations though made their best effort to make it look like the hurricane of the century though.

Storms can be scary for kids. I see nothing wrong with explaining to kids about the storm, what it could do and how everyone will keep safe.

Most of the coverage I saw seemed to suggest the only real risk with Elsa was flooding in low lying areas. I'm sure the some national stations though made their best effort to make it look like the hurricane of the century though.
Point is this wasn’t a scary storm and it was coming in the middle of the night.

Well we DID have a tornado. Very close to my house but thank heavens it just missed. May have fatalities. 😦
Oh man, that was a dangerous moment I'm glad you are okay. Its the microbursts and tornadoes along the feeder bands that worry me the most, I guess I'm still a little traumatized by the pine tree that came down on our roof during Hurricane Michael.

According to the National Weather Service, the tornado with 105-110 mph winds touched down about 4:45 p.m. along San Ardo Drive, continued on a northward path through the San Jose area, crossed Philips Highway and moved along Bowdendale Avenue. The NWS said the tornado crossed Interstate 95 near the Bowden Road interchange before weakening as it impacted University Christian School and then just northeast of Englewood High School about 4:51 p.m.

https://www.news4jax.com/weather/20...ery-from-elsa-tornado-damage-in-jacksonville/

Reactions: goldmom
Saw where a man died there when a tree came down on his car. Tornado. Hope all is well.

Reactions: goldmom
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT