ADVERTISEMENT

Official Masters Thread

Bettors have moved the line on Tiger from 50/1 to 15/1.
laugh.r191677.gif
A fool and his money......

Originally posted by DFSNOLE:
Bettors have moved the line on Tiger from 50/1 to 15/1.
laugh.r191677.gif
A fool and his money......
Seriously. I don't get this. I know he's looked sharp so far and that is good. But aside from the unknown whether or not his chip yips will return under tournament pressure ( I speculate they will) he hasn't played any comepetitive rounds in forever. 15 to one seems like a stretch...

Originally posted by QuaZ2002:
So what does everyone make of this story that Tiger allegedly shot a 30 on the front in practice yesterday? Kinda hard to believe it was a 30 but he must be hitting it decently at least. I actually think he's going to play pretty well. He always plays well at Augusta even coming off lengthy absences. I could see a top 25.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
well, it was only the front 9 because he got DQ'd (let his kid tap in).

it will be an accomplisment if he can make it to Saturday without a WD, or even break 70. How many years has it been since he broke 70 at Augusta?

Tiger still hasn't broken 70; is tied with Brooks Koepka and is a stroke behind Jonas Blixt.

Jonas is even and 6 strokes off the lead.

tigerkick.gif

Spieth has his eyes on a course record--and may get it if he keeps hitting fairway irons off the stick. The kid is on fire right now.

Was there today. Probably the craziest shot I saw today was Mike Weir hitting his second shot on 9. He was in the pine straw and hit a driver. Was a good shot but no way I could pull that move off.

Originally posted by Lemon Thrower:
Tiger still hasn't broken 70; is tied with Brooks Koepka and is a stroke behind Jonas Blixt.

Jonas is even and 6 strokes off the lead.

ec
Tiger showed he has the guts of a burglar today. Could have been a lot worse...

Originally posted by seminoleed:
Originally posted by RunRonnieRun:
hitting fairway irons off the stick.

Is this new terminology you're trying to coin?

Ummm....no, don't think so.
confused0006.r191677.gif

What are fairway irons? What is "the stick"?

Do you mean hitting irons off the tee?

Wow. I only saw some of the highlights earlier and just now was abke to watch Tiger on the replay. His swing is totally out of control. I think he falls apart tomorrow and posts a big number...

Good first round. Great seeing Spieth continue the great golf. Hopefully he'll keep it up the next three days.

confused0006.r191677.gif

Around here, the long irons are often called "fairway irons"; the stick would be the flagpole in the cup.

Maybe it's just a local colloquialism.

confused0006.r191677.gif

Around here, the long irons are often called "fairway irons"; the stick would be the flagpole in the cup.

The Atlanta exurbs are a strange place. In town we just call them long irons.

The stick = the pin everywhere though. Fair 'nuff

Looks like they're going to get really lucky with the weather. Rain coming in late and should be out by the start of the round tomorrow. Hope it's not enough to soften the greens.

confused0006.r191677.gif

Really? In 25 years of playing golf, I have never heard anyone say "fairway irons".

Originally posted by cmanole:
Wow. I only saw some of the highlights earlier and just now was abke to watch Tiger on the replay. His swing is totally out of control. I think he falls apart tomorrow and posts a big number...
Yep, thinking the same thing. I was waiting for the bomb to drop on his first round but it never did. I think at this point he could go either way.

After yesterday and getting over the Masters first round jitters/first tournament in a while jitters, I don't think he repeats that performance. He either goes to 4 under or crashes and burns and misses the cut.

Spieth was on fire, if he plays the same today, he can coast Saturday and Sunday and win the thing.

How about Ernie Els? He showed up out of nowhere.

Originally posted by VirginiaNole:

Yep, thinking the same thing. I was waiting for the bomb to drop on his first round but it never did. I think at this point he could go either way.

After yesterday and getting over the Masters first round jitters/first tournament in a while jitters, I don't think he repeats that performance. He either goes to 4 under or crashes and burns and misses the cut.

Spieth was on fire, if he plays the same today, he can coast Saturday and Sunday and win the thing.

I'll go a step farther on Speith. I say if he can post a 68 or better he will be wearing the green jacket on Sunday.

When Tiger won The Masters in 1997 he won $486,000. Last year, Bubba took home $1,620,000. Nothing to do with today's conversation, but wow.

More topically, Spieth needs to be wary of the R2 slump (see Freddie in '10). If he can post any number under par he's got a great shot at running it wire to wire. The last wire to wire winner was Immelman in '08. With opening rounds of 68-68-69 he was able to limp in with a 75 on Sunday and still maintain a comfortable lead throughout.

Originally posted by ncnole1975:

confused0006.r191677.gif

Really? In 25 years of playing golf, I have never heard anyone say "fairway irons".

same here. and have always heard stick refer to your club, not the tee and certainly not the pin that is in the cup (not the tee box).

I've never heard fairway irons either but I have heard and referred to the pin as the stick. Grab the stick, I hit the stick, etc. I can let that slide...

Originally posted by vevois23:
Originally posted by VirginiaNole:

I'll go a step farther on Speith. I say if he can post a 68 or better he will be wearing the green jacket on Sunday.
Spieth is hitting it and putting like another young phenom did at Augusta some 16 years ago...

I wouldn't mind Spieth winning but I want it to at least be a competitive four rounds. Seems very possible he wins this thing going away.

I wouldn't mind Spieth winning but I want it to at least be a competitive four rounds. Seems very possible he wins this thing going away.
I think he'll slow down and the others will close the gap. It's shaping up to be a hell of a leaderboard.

Spieth -9
Day -5
Rose -5
Sergio -5

I've never heard fairway irons either but I have heard and referred to the pin as the stick. Grab the stick, I hit the stick, etc. I can let that slide...
Jimmy bugs Furyk just hit the stick on 12...

You'd think with all the money he made last year, Horschel could dress a little better...

I think he'll slow down and the others will close the gap. It's shaping up to be a hell of a leaderboard.

Spieth -9
Day -5
Rose -5
Sergio -5
He's not slowing down, -12 thru 11.

Spieth -9
Day -5
Rose -5
Sergio -5
He's not slowing down, -12 thru 11.
Wow. 13 thru 13...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT