Golf PGSF FedEx Cup Week 37 The Tour Championship

NoleinATL

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2006
  • djtrophyEARLY-1268-getty.jpg

EXTENDED HIGHLIGHTS

Dustin Johnson’s winning highlights from the 2020 TOUR Championship​

The PGA TOUR’s 2020-21 season will wrap up at East Lake Golf Club in Atlanta with the thrilling finale to the FedExCup. The top 30 golfers in the FedExCup standings at the conclusion of the BMW Championship will once again be vying for the ultimate prize in golf.
This is the third year of the TOUR Championship’s Starting Strokes format which sees players start between 10-under and even par depending on their positioning.
FIELD NOTES: The final field has been set after a dramatic end to the BMW Championship, the second leg of the FedExCup playoffs, with the winner Patrick Cantlay ranked No.1 in the FedExCup standings… THE NORTHERN TRUST winner, Tony Finau, is currently the second-ranked golfer in the standings… Bryson DeChambeau who lost to Cantlay in the playoff at the BMW Championship will enter the week in the third spot, with Jon Rahm and Cameron Smith rounding out the top 5… The defending FedExCup champion, Dustin Johnson, will qualify for East Lake for the 13th year in a row – the longest active streak… Johnson is also defending his title at East Lake… Veteran Stewart Cink will earn a spot at East Lake for the first time since 2009. Cink won twice this season. His victories (Safeway Open, RBC Heritage) were his first on TOUR since that 2009 season when he won The Open Championship… Rory McIlroy sat on the bubble but comfortably qualified for East Lake, giving him the chance to become the first three-time FedExCup winner… Erik van Rooyen and Sergio Garcia made the jump into the top 30 and make the TOUR Championship.
FEDEXCUP: Winner receives the FedExCup.
COURSE: East Lake Golf Club, par 70, 7,346 yards. The storied club has hosted the TOUR Championship since 2005, meaning all 14 previous FedExCup champions (2007-2020) have been crowned there. Originally designed in the early 1900s by Tom Bendelow, Donald Ross re-worked the course not long after while Rees Jones helped restore the original design in 1994.
STORYLINES: It all comes down to this. The top-ranked player in the standings after the BMW Championship will head to East Lake knowing he starts Thursday’s opening round at 10-under, giving him a two-shot margin over second seed who will start at 8-under… The starting numbers continue to drop from there. No.3 seed starts 7-under, No.4 at 6-under, and No.5 begins at 5-under. From there groups of five drop a shot at a time. So, No.6-No.10 start at 4-under, No.11-No.15 3-under, No.16-No.20 2-under, No. 21-25 1-under and finally No.26-No.30 start at even… The last two FedExCup winners have started 1st and 5th, respectively… The winner receives the coveted trophy and a $15 million bonus… No one has defended their title at East Lake since 1998… Steve Stricker will also announce his six captains picks for the U.S Ryder Cup team following the event.
72-HOLE RECORD: 257, Tiger Woods (2007).
18-HOLE RECORD: 60, Zach Johnson (3rd round, 2007).
LAST TIME: Dustin Johnson finished at 21-under for the week and defeated Justin Thomas and Xander Schauffele by three shots to win his first TOUR Championship – and first FedExCup. Thomas, a past FedExCup champion, shot rounds of 66-66 on the weekend but it wasn’t enough to overtake Johnson, who shot rounds of 64-68 to hold on to the No.1 spot in the FedExCup standings having started at 10-under. Schauffele made a spirited move up the leaderboard (he started the week in 14th, seven shots back of Johnson) but fell just short. Jon Rahm, who started the week in second place, couldn’t bounce back from a second-round 74 and finished fourth. Scottie Scheffler ripped up the standings from No. 17 to 5th. Johnson bogeyed No’s 7 and 8 on Sunday to open the door a crack to his competitors but stayed steady through the back nine, adding a birdie on the par-5 18th to close out the season. He finished the Playoffs going 1-2-1.

HOW TO FOLLOW

Television: Thursday-Friday, 1 p.m.-6 p.m. ET (Golf Channel). Saturday, 1 p.m.-2:30 p.m. (Golf Channel), 2:30 p.m.-7 p.m. (NBC). Sunday, 12 p.m.-1:30 p.m. (Golf Channel), 1:30 p.m.-6 p.m. (NBC)
PGA TOUR LIVE: Thursday-Friday, 10:30 a.m.-11:45 a.m. (Preview Show), 11:45 a.m.-6 p.m. (Featured Groups). Saturday, 10:30 a.m.-11:45 a.m. (Preview Show), 11:45 a.m.-2:30 p.m. (Featured Groups), 2:30 p.m.-7 p.m. (Featured Holes). Sunday, 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. (Preview Show), 12:30 p.m.-1:30 p.m. (Featured Groups), 1:30 p.m.-6 p.m. (Featured Holes)
Radio: Thursday-Friday, 12 p.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, 2 p.m.-7 p.m. Sunday, 1 p.m.-6 p.m. (PGA TOUR Radio on SiriusXM and PGATOUR.com/liveaudio).

That was a great way to end the regular season. Close competition all year and on the last day of the year, a brilliant putting performance won it
for Cantlay and our regular season champ.

After 35 long weeks, a previous champ claws his way back into 1st place with an excellent pick of the winner.

Congratulations to 2021 Regular Season Champ
@Bill From Tampa

Leader-thru-BMW-2021.png

I Will post the updated Tour Championship scorecard reset tomorrow am.

Here are the resets, I went straight down and did not use groupings because we do not have a full 30 people obviously.

Reminder, it is your starting score combined with the scores of your players that gets the win
For example, if Bills 4 players shoot a combined -40 , his total would be -50 for the week

Here is a Link for points reset in FedEx Cup instructions

Let me know if you have any questions

Capture.png

Good Luck this week

Reactions: Nolerball
Here are the resets, I went straight down and did not use groupings because we do not have a full 30 people obviously.

Reminder, it is your starting score combined with the scores of your players that gets the win
For example, if Bills 4 players shoot a combined -40 , his total would be -50 for the week

Here is a Link for points reset in FedEx Cup instructions

Let me know if you have any questions

Capture.png

Good Luck this week

Are we using the players' scores weighted or unweighted??

Are we using the players' scores weighted or unweighted??

Normal scoring for golfers
If you 4 are
Player A -10
Player B -8
Player C -6
Player D -4

Your total for the week would be 0-10-8-6-4= -28 under
Your starting point then their actual scores for the week

Reactions: NoleLizards
If you 4 are
Player A -10
Player B -8
Player C -6
Player D -4

iu

Before next year, I do want to consider some changes for year-end. Make the entire playoffs for the Tour Championship maybe, give the regular-season champ a bigger advantage, something to change it up a little

Reactions: cmanole
In the only thing that really matters, I finished the regular season with Cman in my rear view mirror.
You and most everyone else! I did sit out about half of the events with an injury tho!

Reactions: NoleinATL
Disclaimer, I don't dislike any of these gentlemen, they are just the ones in the top 10 that I have picked in the past that have NEVER come through for me and play lights out when I don't pick them. I figure turn about is fair play.

Cantlay
Rahm
Smith
Ancer

Have the lyrics to 'Nights in White Satin' by the Moody Blues running through my head as I weigh my picks...

Breathe deep the gathering gloom
Watch lights fade from every room
Bed sitter people look back and lament
Another days useless energy spent
Impassioned lovers wrestle as one
Lonely man cries for love and has none
New mother picks up and suckles her son
Senior citizens wish they were young
Cold hearted orb that rules the night
Removes the colors from our sight
Red is gray and yellow white
But we decide which is right
And which is an illusion...

That might describe my season. So I am going to roll with these four:

Jordan Spieth
Xander Schaueffle
Rory McIlroy (gotta have one European-though I can't pull for him in late September)
Sungjae IM (and one International PC-style player)

DeChambeau
JT
Rahm
Finau
This is Rory's golf course. He's giving up 8 to Cantlay; 6 to Bryson; and 4 to Rahm. JT is also at home on this southern course. Maybe Rory just had a refreshingly good week last week. But... I think he'll give a run at it. (But he may be too far back.) If not, I like JT to surge into contention. JMHO, but everyone talked about Cantlay's putting but his ball striking was outstanding. Will Bryson be so pissed that he's uber focused or just pissed ? This is a good course for him. I went back a few years and Cantlay is over par +2 at East Lake. It's really easy to pick 1,2,3,4 but that's not fun. Numbers one and two both can't lose can they ? I mean that's a bunch of strokes. I'm going back and forth on which guys to leave out. I also like DJ here at East Lake. Rahm and Finau have played East Lake well.
BTW if I were in charge of the Fedex Cup, my point system would be: -3 for winning the year; -2 for the winner of the Northern Trust and The BMW. -1 for each tour win during the year. And -1 for the runners up at The Northern Trust and BMW. No other points. Personally, I think that makes way more sense. And, yes, Insurance guys are really good at statistical analysis.
Going out with a bang, I hope:

Patrick Cantlay
Bryson DeChambeau
Tony Finau
Jon Rahm
The answer to the question: Who's gonna pick 1,2,3,4 first ? LOL ! Congrats Ed !

Pretty story. I imagine JR is picking up the tab after practice rounds

If you 4 are
Player A -10
Player B -8
Player C -6
Player D -4

So you get what your four guys actually do on the course, not including what they're starting with, correct?
In other words, if I pick Cantlay, he's gonna suck and shoot 3 over each day; he'd be a +12 - I don't get the -10 that he's starting out with.

Reactions: NoleinATL
So you get what your four guys actually do on the course, not including what they're starting with, correct?
In other words, if I pick Cantlay, he's gonna suck and shoot 3 over each day; he'd be a +12 - I don't get the -10 that he's starting out with.

No, you get both numbers.. using your numbers Cantlays total score would look like this
start -10
1st rd +3
2nd rd +3
3rd rd +3
4th rd +3
total +2

cantlay.png

We have a fairly narrow array of picks so far...Maybe he'll give me some new names to add to my customized leaderboard.

Very bunched together, I might have to take a look at a flyer tonight ( I thought it might be Im, but I was wrong)

No, you get both numbers.. using your numbers Cantlays total score would look like this
start -10
1st rd +3
2nd rd +3
3rd rd +3
4th rd +3
total +2

cantlay.png

Hmmm, I misunderstood your earlier post, interpreting it as meaning that we get what they actually shoot on the course.

Not that it matters, based on my history of sucking at this.

Hmmm, I misunderstood your earlier post, interpreting it as meaning that we get what they actually shoot on the course.

Hideki would have hurt you either way today with a healthy +6

Son of a gun. I didn't really look at my spreadsheet and you are correct SeaPa. I screwed the explanation to you and Liz all the hell up--How you explained is what we have done the last two years

League update with some scoring announcements. I messed up the scoring explanation not thinking earlier this week.
The last two years we have used the players on course scores and then adjusted on the reset. I forgot to change my spreadsheet to positive numbers for the starting position and it threw off the numbers in a dramatic way when I was entering them today. A comment by @SeaPA today made me realize I had screwed up the numbers when I started entering scores.

Therefore, the only way I know how to be fair if players were affected by my mistake is to score both ways for the Tournament, in which a winner will be recorded for the champion of the tournament and the adjusted scoring of the tournament. The player's actual score plus the point reset will determine the year-long PGSF FedEx Cup champion.
Please let me know what you think, as I don't want anyone to be upset, not say anything, and then not play next year, as we have a good group of players currently.

Here is where everyone stands after round 1 --again, sorry for the screw-up, long week at work, terrible drive back from Houston over the weekend etc etc etc and I did not catch the error until this afternoon.
Please send any complaints with foul language to username @ gmail.com so no one gets a vacation for posting them in the thread.

Current Leader of Tour Championship
2021-TC-1st-round.png

Current Leader of Adjusted Scoring Tour Championship
2021-TCA-1st-round.png

FedEx Champ Leaderboard
FEDEx-Champ.png

Good Luck tomorrow

Last edited:
Reactions: cmanole
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT