ADVERTISEMENT

Golf PGSF FedEx Cup Week 37 The Tour Championship

When I was a kid, one of guys at the club where I grew up would sometimes take "speed golf" bets in the bar after the men's group had played. His standing bet was that he could play the front nine in 45 minutes or less, and shoot 45 or less. He did use a cart for parts of it (had someone else drive, he'd ride standing on the back so he could have a club ready, then jump off while the cart was still moving, hit his shot, then either hop back on or run to the ball).
He won the bet about half the time; he was a bit of a hustler, and I've always thought that some of the losses were times when he threw the bet to get more action next time...chumming the fish, if you will.

My only big moment playing golf came way back in the day at a Bobby Bowden tour outing at Stone Mtn. Golf Course. For some strange reason, I was in Bobby's 4some to start. Actually hit a ball stiff from 3 feet for a bird on one hole. Alas, the other nine were somewhere in the upper 40's, and at the turn, I was moved to a different group. Don't blame Bobby, though--he was a good golfer and offered encouragement to me throughout the round, but I was totally embarrassed the whole time.

CSB.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT