ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Favorite 20th century dictator?

DeputyDodge

Walk-on
Mar 29, 2002
Factors should include oratory style, cool name, smart uniform, etc. Not so much the number of deaths responsible for.

Nobody had a better (self-appointed) title than Idi Amin:

"His Excellency, President for Life, Field Marshal Al Hadji Doctor Idi Amin Dada, VC, DSO, MC, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas and Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular".

And he ate people...

Other... (technically he's not 20th Century, but his hairstyle is so I count him in.)

Kim-Jong-Un-inspecting-a-submarine-of-the-Korean-Peoples-Army.jpg

This post was edited on 3/24 12:14 PM by Formerly Rockymtnole

What a strange question.

I didn't vote, but I'll admit that I've always had a fascination with Castro, only because I was in Cuba with my parents the summer before he took over. I remember my dad questioning cab drivers and others about Castro. No one wanted to talk, but he was revered by the masses back then.

This is actually a very good question as I've long believed one of the many utopian forms of governments is a benevolent dictatorship...

Now let's be clear all dictators have their faults (and some have violent histories), so this isn't a list of angels but these men have done remarkable things for their nations while harming (proportionately) fewer people than many democratic governments.

Paul Kagame - Rwanda
Lee Kuan Lew - Singapore
Félix Houphouët-Boigny - Ivory Coast

Originally posted by BacardiNole:
This is actually a very good question as I've long believed one of the many utopian forms of governments is a benevolent dictatorship...

Now let's be clear all dictators have their faults (and some have violent histories), so this isn't a list of angels but these men have done remarkable things for their nations while harming (proportionately) fewer people than many democratic governments.

Paul Kagame - Rwanda
Lee Kuan Lew - Singapore
Félix Houphouët-Boigny - Ivory Coast
Reading some of the stuff about Lee lately, without being very familiar with him...pretty interesting and impressive rule he had.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT