ADVERTISEMENT

Privileged questions?

White privilege can be beneficial to non whites as well don’t you think?

Case in point, a dark skin young man lives next door to me

He was applying for a job in an upscale tennis facility

I have known him for a good while and know he took care of his grand mother until she passed

I told him to use me as a reference

So I got a call from the company asking about him, and I gave him a solid reference

They knew they wanted to hire him and I just reassured what they already felt

I was glad to do it for him

Anyone who takes care of a sick dying relative has yet character that I will vouch for

White privilege can be beneficial to non whites as well don’t you think?

Case in point, a dark skin young man lives next door to me

He was applying for a job in an upscale tennis facility

I have known him for a good while and know he took care of his grand mother until she passed

I told him to use me as a reference

So I got a call from the company asking about him, and I gave him a solid reference

They knew they wanted to hire him and I just reassured what they already felt

I was glad to do it for him

Anyone who takes care of a sick dying relative has yet character that I will vouch for
I’m not sure any of that is relevant to the concept of white privilege, unless his employer gave your recommendation greater weight as a white person (totally possible)
But in any event, sincere kudos on doing a nice mitzvah for another human.

Gotta say I hate when this video shows up in discussions of white privilege, since it’s a really bad attempt at illustrating white privilege (assuming that’s what they’re trying so clumsily to illustrate.) So many of the prompts in this video conflate economic privilege with white privilege and just make it easier for those who like to argue that there is no white privilege to play the “it’s not about race but about economic status” game.

If they instead had used only prompts that are more typically about race vs economic status (ie take 2 steps forward if other people out walking and approaching you haven’t frequently crossed the street to avoid walking directly past you, take 2 steps forward if store security personnel have not followed you around on more than 4 or 5 occasions as you shop, take 2 steps forward if your parents have never reminded you after their first instructions how to behave if police ever pull you over, etc), then maybe this could have worked as an illustration of what white privilege means.

Thanks 61

I just wanted to add I only mentioned it here as a possibility, and not as a pat on back type thing as I am 100% not like that!

I was glad to help the young man!

Reactions: NoleSince1961
Gotta say I hate when this video shows up in discussions of white privilege, since it’s a really bad attempt at illustrating white privilege (assuming that’s what they’re trying so clumsily to illustrate.) So many of the prompts in this video conflate economic privilege with white privilege and just make it easier for those who like to argue that there is no white privilege to play the “it’s not about race but about economic status” game.

If they instead had used only prompts that are more typically about race vs economic status (ie take 2 steps forward if other people out walking and approaching you haven’t frequently crossed the street to avoid walking directly past you, take 2 steps forward if store security personnel have not followed you around on more than 4 or 5 occasions as you shop, take 2 steps forward if your parents have never reminded you after their first instructions how to behave if police ever pull you over, etc), then maybe this could have worked as an illustration of what white privilege means.
Well, there are lots of types of privilege. But he makes a good point that the people out front didn't do anything wrong to get out front. But that doesn't mean if you win you were the best on the field.
Look at Trump, guy was born on third and thinks he hit a home run. Yet people idolized him for his 'success'.

Reactions: bcherod
Well, there are lots of types of privilege. But he makes a good point that the people out front didn't do anything wrong to get out front. But that doesn't mean if you win you were the best on the field.
Look at Trump, guy was born on third and thinks he hit a home run. Yet people idolized him for his 'success'.
I think it was well intentioned, and yes there are multiple forms of privilege.
But knowing how resistant the vast majority of non-believers are to the mere idea of white privilege, I’d be more careful than this video’s creator is not to mix different forms of privilege into the messaging, especially if he’s gonna point out “all these black dudes back here” as if the focus of the lesson was supposed to be about racial inequities in particular.

When you’ve got a hot button topic like this that you’re trying to explain and get some buy-in about, I’d just be more careful than these video creators were about not mixing messages and creating more opportunity for the convo to get derailed.

I think it was well intentioned, and yes there are multiple forms of privilege.
But knowing how resistant the vast majority of non-believers are to the mere idea of white privilege, I’d be more careful than this video’s creator is not to mix different forms of privilege into the messaging, especially if he’s gonna point out “all these black dudes back here” as if the focus of the lesson was supposed to be about racial inequities in particular.

When you’ve got a hot button topic like this that you’re trying to explain and get some buy-in about, I’d just be more careful than these video creators were about not mixing messages and creating more opportunity for the convo to get derailed.
I see your point. But the people who would be upset by this video are likely not going to see it no matter how it's packaged.

I think the #1 issue in the African-American community today is lack of fathers and broken families.

Most African-American children grow up in a home without a father.
This is true and children become wards of the state. Whites are only a couple of generations behind blacks and broken families. Hence the lead to the nanny State and the government to take care of everything

no race in those actual questions, but he throws in a remark anyway, even though there are a couple of white people still on the starting line.

fwiw, I would have moved forward just once. we lived on a farm. my next meal was outside rummaging through the bushes if things ever got that bad. 😂
No doubt the "race" was set up to prove a point with participants screened prior to the start. If they were trying to illustrate white privilege they did a poor job. If you want to do that ask a race based question. All this does is perpetuate existing stereotypes.

no race in those actual questions, but he throws in a remark anyway, even though there are a couple of white people still on the starting line.

fwiw, I would have moved forward just once. we lived on a farm. my next meal was outside rummaging through the bushes if things ever got that bad. 😂
Had phone, electric and water turned off numerous times. Often times wondered about eating and never had 3 meals a day until I left home. Had a 1 parent household as well.

Reactions: Bartdog
Rent free in your head. Just had to bring politics into it again.

Do you believe that in today’s America, an unmistakably black male and an unmistakably white male of equal economic status face an equivalent bundle of daily obstacles?… ie their path to fully enjoying each day and building for the future is the same slope, when it comes to being treated the same for the same offenses, being afforded the same considerations in the workplace, when crossing the street or dressed similarly entering every type of store, receiving medical care, etc etc?

This question is not about whether or not they can overcome any hurdles they encounter, and also not about “blame”, but is it statistically likely that the white and black men of equal economic status will face an equal number and regularity and difficulty of obstacles in today’s America?

And I’ll refrain from addressing the ridiculousness of your final 2 sentences, since I don’t believe we’re supposed to needlessly inject politics into the conversation, as you have chosen to do.
If those two people grew up in the same middle class or higher neighborhood, with intact families, and made the same grades, test scores, and were behaviorally identical, then they would have different outcomes. But, those outcomes wouldn't all be in one directions. And the messages those two people got would affect their behaviors over time. In certain arenas, affirmative action would help one and not the other, while in other arenas the black man might see racism. I never claim there is no racism. I only point out the trajectory of economic metrics. So, you ask yourself how can the economic metrics be consistently getting better for one group that claims racism as a all encompassing background for our society hurting them, while metrics for another group (working class/middle class) have stagnated?

As someone who has spent time in formal studying of and doing social science research, I tend to follow the science, not the politics of the situation. I have noticed that, so far, you on this web site tend to ignore the science in favor of your politics picking and choosing studies that favor your politics and ignoring meta studies or more thoughtful reporting that can somewhat dampen the politics/emotion.

As to my last two statements, it is as an observer of a party I generally vote for and have since the mid-1990s. Merely my opinion.

If those two people grew up in the same middle class or higher neighborhood, with intact families, and made the same grades, test scores, and were behaviorally identical, then they would have different outcomes. But, those outcomes wouldn't all be in one directions. And the messages those two people got would affect their behaviors over time. In certain arenas, affirmative action would help one and not the other, while in other arenas the black man might see racism. I never claim there is no racism. I only point out the trajectory of economic metrics. So, you ask yourself how can the economic metrics be consistently getting better for one group that claims racism as a all encompassing background for our society hurting them, while metrics for another group (working class/middle class) have stagnated?

As someone who has spent time in formal studying of and doing social science research, I tend to follow the science, not the politics of the situation. I have noticed that, so far, you on this web site tend to ignore the science in favor of your politics picking and choosing studies that favor your politics and ignoring meta studies or more thoughtful reporting that can somewhat dampen the politics/emotion.

As to my last two statements, it is as an observer of a party I generally vote for and have since the mid-1990s. Merely my opinion.
Lol, nothing I’ve posted about white privilege has been political. Projection much? It is you who injected politics.

so far, you on this web site tend to ignore the science in favor of your politics picking and choosing studies that favor your politics and ignoring meta studies or more thoughtful reporting that can somewhat dampen the politics/emotion.
^^^^Exactly right.

Reactions: trunole1
How they are "fixing" this "white privilege" is via reverse discrimination.

The goal years ago was to be color blind to have equity. Now skin color is becoming the primary deciding factor.

Seeing it more and more in my industry where it comes down to two people and the decision is made in favor of skin color. One person in Hollywood I know can't get a job anymore because when it comes down to between her and a "person of color" they tell her we are going with the "ethnic person".

As was said to me at a venue I had worked at for a number of years, we don't want a pit with old white guys.

Even certain shows have essentially been censored because of racial reasons. And the kicker is some of those shows prevented minorities from getting jobs because the shows are taboo now.

How they are "fixing" this "white privilege" is via reverse discrimination.

The goal years ago was to be color blind to have equity. Now skin color is becoming the primary deciding factor.

Seeing it more and more in my industry where it comes down to two people and the decision is made in favor of skin color. One person in Hollywood I know can't get a job anymore because when it comes down to between her and a "person of color" they tell her we are going with the "ethnic person".

As was said to me at a venue I had worked at for a number of years, we don't want a pit with old white guys.

Even certain shows have essentially been censored because of racial reasons. And the kicker is some of those shows prevented minorities from getting jobs because the shows are taboo now.
Sounds truly gut wrenching, tragic. Somebody should definitely start up a charity for aggrieved white dudes. Maybe the Snowflake Fund or something like that.
(violins in background)

Sounds truly gut wrenching, tragic. Somebody should definitely start up a charity for aggrieved white dudes. Maybe the Snowflake Fund or something like that.
(violins in background)
Nah Snowflake fund would be for white guys opining about all the negative effects of white privilege. Maybe call it the Bakke fund or something like that. Or the Stanford Frat Boy fund. That would cover aggrieved white guys better. And unlike here we can get real aggrieved white people to discuss how poorly they have been treated instead of someone pretending to know how others feel.

Nah Snowflake fund would be for white guys opining about all the negative effects of white privilege. Maybe call it the Bakke fund or something like that. Or the Stanford Frat Boy fund. That would cover aggrieved white guys better. And unlike here we can get real aggrieved white people to discuss how poorly they have been treated instead of someone pretending to know how others feel.

Not really into the Naruto stuff but Taylor Davis is very good. She does a nice version of Devil Went Down to Georgia. I like this one though, ill add it to my playlist. Thanks!
It seems like some people are still suffering some PTSD over sweet willie's termination. LMFAO. I'm sure that music comforted those poor souls when willie was shown the door. It must be terrible to live with such angst. I wish I could do something to help them.

• Haha
Reactions: GeddyLee09
It seems like some people are still suffering some PTSD over sweet willie's termination. LMFAO. I'm sure that music comforted those poor souls when willie was shown the door. It must be terrible to live with such angst. I wish I could do something to help them.
Please just keep repetitively quoting your own posts in that B10 Makes No Sense thread until somebody throws you a Like or two. Your absolute pleading desperation for anybody to validate your existence and give you some kind of achievement badge is super entertaining. Thank you.

Reactions: BelemNole
Please just keep repetitively quoting your own posts in that B10 Makes No Sense thread until somebody throws you a Like or two. Your absolute pleading desperation for anybody to validate your existence and give you some kind of achievement badge is super entertaining. Thank you.
Tom Cruise What GIF

Reactions: noletaire
Now I get it. From now on ill limit my responses to only when spoken to. Thank You dear leader.
Here is his game:
He posts a study or several studies and then tells us this proves his version of things is THE TRUTH;
Then he ignores posts with studies that call into question his version of THE TRUTH;
And he challenges people to take apart each study he posts to disprove his version of THE TRUTH;
He never discusses the other studies (I doubt he reads them) in further posts because it might bring his version of THE TRUTH into question;
Finally he employs snark and belittles those that disagree with his version of THE TRUTH.

Rinse and Repeat............

Here is his game:
He posts a study or several studies and then tells us this proves his version of things is THE TRUTH;
Then he ignores posts with studies that call into question his version of THE TRUTH;
And he challenges people to take apart each study he posts to disprove his version of THE TRUTH;
He never discusses the other studies (I doubt he reads them) in further posts because it might bring his version of THE TRUTH into question;
Finally he employs snark and belittles those that disagree with his version of THE TRUTH.

Lol. You are the king of insecure projection, aren’t you? I posted multiple studies demonstrating racial inequities in multiple facets of life. You totally ignored them, brushing them off as “cherry picking” lol, and then posted one single study, the very definition of “cherry picking” (vs my varied collection) and about a completely different aspect of life, and now you claim your one unrelated citation “called into question” the studies and analyses of studies I shared.
Holy crap, that’s the weakest of weak sauce.
Keep trying though, if you think that’s productive.

Genetics or Environment? "Settled Science" or Just opinion?
Equity or Equality?
All questions that form the crux of the issues.This is why you have to be very careful with the current social science studies out there. This trend hasn't just started but has been going on for the last 20 years or so:

Here is his game:

Like Fauci he is science and it is settled. Hardest phrases to declare? "I don't know" or " I was wrong"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT