ADVERTISEMENT

proof of vaccination or COVID-19 test to attend game

Why? I don't think they should require vaccine, but it make sense to require tests. My concern is the inconsistency in the rationale, since we know vaxxed can get it and spread it. Seems if you really don't want the Vid in the stadium, testing would be the best way to do it. For everyone.

I am not saying I want that. I am just saying consistency would be nice.

that's a fair rationale too. my thought on that is skewed by the fact i spend as much time outdoors during florida summer as i do at any other time of the year. far less comfortably of course!
A state like Illinois spiked in early November then declined as the weather got colder and people retreated indoors. Mass and NY peaked in mid January. Same with California when the weather outside is beautiful. Could holidays play a role? If this thing has a cycle I sure haven't been able to pick up on it. But it sure would be helpful to know.

Reactions: GbrNole
The COVID-19 task force just confirmed that "businesses, non profits and state and local leaders" have the ability to put vaccination requirements in place. With the approval of vaccines, they will continue to ramp up this narrative.

giphy.gif

If you have to stop and think about it then it has “some” merit, so stretch means has some merit but maybe not true?

The MMWR report published today by the CDC cites numbers from Los Angeles county between May and July. It found that "people who are unvaccinated are nearly 5x more likely to be infected and about 29x more likely to be hospitalized with COVID, compared with people who are vaccinated."

The MMWR report published today by the CDC cites numbers from Los Angeles county between May and July. It found that "people who are unvaccinated are nearly 5x more likely to be infected and about 29x more likely to be hospitalized with COVID, compared with people who are vaccinated."
it's far more reasonable than similar reports that date back to January but LA county does have quite a lot lower vaccination rate than the state of california as a whole. the fully vaxxed in LA county was only in the mid to upper 20's percentage wise a couple of months ago.

through the delta surge statewide in california (beginning of july through most recent recorded date 8/14/21), the 50-64 and 65+ age groups have had the highest proportion of hospitalizations per 100,000 capita by a good margin. each about twice the incidence rate of the 18-49 age group per 100,000 capita.

The COVID-19 task force just confirmed that "businesses, non profits and state and local leaders" have the ability to put vaccination requirements in place. With the approval of vaccines, they will continue to ramp up this narrative.
Yeah the task force has no legal power to put that in place.

Reactions: SteveT1 and Dhersh
it's far more reasonable than similar reports that date back to January but LA county does have quite a lot lower vaccination rate than the state of california as a whole. the fully vaxxed in LA county was only in the mid to upper 20's percentage wise a couple of months ago.

through the delta surge statewide in california (beginning of july through most recent recorded date 8/14/21), the 50-64 and 65+ age groups have had the highest proportion of hospitalizations per 100,000 capita by a good margin. each about twice the incidence rate of the 18-49 age group per 100,000 capita.
That's unfortunate. I would have expected their vaccination numbers to be higher. I would like to see the metadata here. I would hope that they were able to get a good sample size based on population density in LA county. Also, I would like to know the percentage of participants who were already infected. A previous study showing chances of reinfection was 2.34 times higher in unvaccinated. These would be interesting comparisons.

Reactions: GbrNole
Yeah the task force has no legal power to put that in place.
I understand that. Just relaying what was said. I don't think it should be surprising that they are using this narrative, however.

Reactions: AllNoles
That's unfortunate. I would have expected their vaccination numbers to be higher. I would like to see the metadata here. I would hope that they were able to get a good sample size based on population density in LA county. Also, I would like to know the percentage of participants who were already infected. A previous study showing chances of reinfection was 2.34 times higher in unvaccinated. These would be interesting comparisons.
definitely. it's a fantastic starting point to run comparison against the recent UK study.

Reactions: Dhersh
Saw reports out of Michigan, 26% of infections were of fully vaxxed, 24% of deaths. Unclear what % are partially vaccinated or completely unvaccinated. Also, per cdc vax efficacy fell from +90% to 60(ish)% with delta variant. Pfizer ceo expects variant resistant to vaccines. Who knows how natural immunity plays out with new variants and for how long.

Reactions: Dhersh
Connecticut major spike in severe covid cases, 25% fully vaccinated. “Fully vaccinated” does not include those with both vax shots, but less than 14 days removed from 2nd shot. Someone dropping the ball on compiling granular data. Impossible to do so with arbitrary cutoffs and too few buckets. That’s on the cdc.

Saw reports out of Michigan, 26% of infections were of fully vaxxed, 24% of deaths. Unclear what % are partially vaccinated or completely unvaccinated. Also, per cdc vax efficacy fell from +90% to 60(ish)% with delta variant. Pfizer ceo expects variant resistant to vaccines. Who knows how natural immunity plays out with new variants and for how long.
Which is exactly why the data being collected and shared absolutely should have info on whether people had Covid before, whether they had documented antibodies, when, and any other relevant info to looking at the impact of natural immunity. I really try not to be paranoid, but not sharing that with all other info as we go makes me really question their logic and basis for policy making.

Which is exactly why the data being collected and shared absolutely should have info on whether people had Covid before, whether they had documented antibodies, when, and any other relevant info to looking at the impact of natural immunity. I really try not to be paranoid, but not sharing that with all other info as we go makes me really question their logic and basis for policy making.
this is why i tend to follow the european studies a bit more. not perfect but more granular and none of the careful use of definitions to corner a result.

here's a brief synopsis of what the brits most recently had to say about reinfection rates.

1.6 Reinfections Population data based on the first time that individuals tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 through PCR and/or lateral flow device testing in England together with those who have tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 through PCR and/or lateral flow testing with an interval of at least 90 days between 2 consecutive positive tests show, to the end of week 30 in 2021 (to 1 August 2021), there have been 5.2 million first infections with 35,124 possible reinfections identified, of which 137 have been confirmed by identification of genetically distinct specimens from each illness episode. See surveillance report for further details.

here's the link to the surveillance report referenced above.

So .67% (.0067)(roughly 6.7/1,000) "breakthrough" cases in natural immunity? That is a really, really low number and would certainly suggest to me that NI would be good enough to not need a vaccine. Am I crazy?

I mean I know new variants could make it less valuable, like having had the flu. But we don't know that yet until we see these same kind of numbers run with the Delta or other variant in study group.

So .67% (.0067)(roughly 6.7/1,000) "breakthrough" cases in natural immunity? That is a really, really low number and would certainly suggest to me that NI would be good enough to not need a vaccine. Am I crazy?

I mean I know new variants could make it less valuable, like having had the flu. But we don't know that yet until we see these same kind of numbers run with the Delta or other variant in study group.
the UK is pretty deep into studying delta effects (and other variants of concern) now. there's a devil in their details that can be misconstrued. i'm generally fine with playing devil's advocate so long as the advocate grasps both sides of the fence and not solely the side they want to be on.

pages 22 and 23 are of interest. also page 32 for the number of mutations being recorded within delta specifically.

Yes, I believe numbers have been trending in that direction as data emerges - that immunity from infection is greater than immunity from vaccines, especially over time and given the delta variant. The problem, of course, is that this natural immunity from infection would require someone to be infected with the virus, and would also cause the possibility of variants to increase.

Last edited:
Yeah, I am not suggesting that we just let it pass around the way numbers have gone, but it should be part of the overall strategy for those who have had it. We can both recognize the impact of having had it (and I mean enough to get antibodies, I know there is an issue with the most "slight" cases maybe not triggering enough immune response to trigger NI) while also not building future policy around them not being vaccinated. That said, when we are seeing so many unvaxxed getting it now, that's an increase in immunity whether that was the best way to get there or not.

Tried to read that. I spend a lot of time multi tasking. I need to think when I look there. But it does not show a ton of value to vaccing if I read those right. Seems odd given the numbers now.

And what about my JaJ?

Tried to read that. I spend a lot of time multi tasking. I need to think when I look there. But it does not show a ton of value to vaccing if I read those right. Seems odd given the numbers now.

And what about my JaJ?
J&J and astrazeneca are comparable to each other (same type of vaccines using adenovirus) from most every study i have found, both a couple notches below the mRNA vaccines.

@AllNoles i posted this UK study last week that drills down into natural immunity compared with various stages of vaccination and different vaccines. you probably already read it but here it is again if not.

skip to page 25 to quick glance at the charted representations for delta infections. BNT162 is Pfizer. ChAd is Astrazeneca. mRNA-1273 is moderna.

I wonder why they don't include the second dose for moderna.

Unlikely. DeSantis would probably threaten to take away funding. Also, we need the money and forcing a vaccine or negative test would alienate some people.
Yeah it's a damn shame. I've regretted voting for him ever since he started abusing his power. I'm fortunate I no longer live in a state where the person in power threatens those who don't follow his orders. Its un-American.

Last edited:
I never said to trust the FDA, pops. Did I? I've always said to wait until we had a firm idea on LONG TERM effects. No one knows those....except you. You seem to know everything.
^^^^
People can trust the FDA, they can even make condescending remarks about those that are skeptical of their work but they've made their fair share of mistakes. Analytical, rational, free thinking people realize that the FDA's approval is not a guarantee of safety,

1976 Swine Flu vaccine. Endorsed by our government and laster discontinued because of side effects. About 4,000 citizens sued the government.

I believe in vaccines but they do have risks. I decided to take the vaccine but given the history of the FDA, vaccines, and medicine in general, I wouldn't condemn anyone who did not get vaccinated.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjpwooo
You know the tide has turned when LSU mandates a vaccine. Good for them!

Yeah it's a damn shame. I've regretted voting for him ever since he started abusing his power. I'm fortunate I no longer live in a state where the person in power threatens those who don't follow his orders. Its un-American.
What state doesn't threaten citizens, businesses or local officials who don't follow its orders?

Unlikely. DeSantis would probably threaten to take away funding. Also, we need the money and forcing a vaccine or negative test would alienate some people.
I understand some, maybe most, people would be against this. But the tickets are already purchased, right? How would it effect LSU (or Tulane, or FSU or anyone else) now? You certainly wouldn't get a refund. Does LSU/FSU make that much money on gameday? Maybe more since you can now bring alcohol to your seats?

I understand some, maybe most, people would be against this. But the tickets are already purchased, right? How would it effect LSU (or Tulane, or FSU or anyone else) now? You certainly wouldn't get a refund. Does LSU/FSU make that much money on gameday? Maybe more since you can now bring alcohol to your seats?
Heard LSU tickets had been selling for almost nothing after the announcement. Did not verify myself though.

What state doesn't threaten citizens, businesses or local officials who don't follow its orders?
I recognize that, but that shouldn't makes us any less outraged. I've been outspoken (usually elsewhere, but now implications are with FSU) about political decisions I view as un-American on both sides of the aisle, and imo anyone with an ounce of patriotism in their blood should be too. The fact that someone is elected doesn't mean they shouldn't be held accountable. That more Floridians aren't outraged is extremely concerning, especially as it relates to many of us with our political party, and even more so as it could have a direct negative impact on education, including within this great institution that everyone here loves.

Last edited:
Reactions: SteveT1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT