ADVERTISEMENT

Ryder Cup 2018

Furyk has made awful picks and awful pairings. Bryson nor Phil should have ever been on this team. Then sitting Fowler and Finau for the likes of Phil and Bryson is just beyond me. Tom Watson is smiling tonight.

I think it is fair to question some pairings , but questioning the pick of Bryson is ridiculous. He was 9th in the standings and had just won the first two tournaments in the playoffs, there was no one more deserving of a captains pick.

Reactions: cmanole and DFSNOLE
Thomas comes out on fire, huge putt on 1st , Rory missed and we are up in match 1

Furyk has made awful picks and awful pairings. Bryson nor Phil should have ever been on this team. Then sitting Fowler and Finau for the likes of Phil and Bryson is just beyond me. Tom Watson is smiling tonight.

No he’s not. Tom Watson wants a US victory.

Bryson 100% deserved to be on the team. At the time of the pick he had won two playoff events in a row! Can’t disagree with Phil, but who should be there instead?

The four captains picks were Bryson, Tiger, Mickelson. and Finau. The first 3 were 9 10 & 11 in the qualifying standings, Finau was 15th.

Certainly can't argue with Bryson; he just missed qualifying & was the hottest player on the tour over the previous month or so. Finau was also playing well, and has played well at the Cup. The only one you could really argue would be Lefty, who really didn't play well at all this season - but it's not like there were any glaring omissions. Nobody who was on a hot stretch, nobody who'd had a really great season; if you took someone over him, it would probably have been Shauffelle (who had a good, but not great season), or if you wanted someone with experience, Kuchar (who's played well in the event in the past, but was mediocre all season).

Reactions: NoleLizards
Now this is the Rory I'm used to seeing when I pick him!

Seems the issue to me is that there are very few courses on the PGA that require accuracy. Our courses are all setup for just hitting long and being ok if you mishit one.

Maybe we should change the way we select teams for European cups and try to find our more accurate players even if they're lower in the standings.

Reactions: noleclone2
We had a chance “if” we could have rolled in some putts. Not enough fell today.
Justin Thomas is going to be our Ian Poulter ( but a better player) for years to come.
Congrats to the Euro team on an impressive win.

If If and buts were candy and nuts everyday would be Christmas

Patrick Reed is not into winning friends and influencing people.

Patrick Reed rips into Jordan Spieth, Jim Furyk in NYT interview: "I was looking at (Jordan) like I was about to light the room up like Phil in ’14"

Patrick Reed has often said he doesn't care what people think about him. Judging by this New York Times interview, that includes his fellow teammates as well.

Speaking with Karen Crouse an hour after departing Le Golf National, where the Americans suffered a seven-point Ryder Cup loss, Reed ripped into Jordan Spieth and American captain Jim Furyk.

Reed, the reigning Masters champion, said he expected to be paired with Spieth in Paris, and communicated that desire to Furyk. With reason: the two proved to be a dynamic duo for the United States the last four team events. However, Spieth and Reed were split, Spieth joining forces with Justin Thomas, Reed tagged with Tiger Woods. A move, according to Reed, that was Spieth's call.

"The issue’s obviously with Jordan not wanting to play with me,” Reed said. “I don’t have any issue with Jordan. When it comes right down to it, I don’t care if I like the person I’m paired with or if the person likes me as long as it works and it sets up the team for success. He and I know how to make each other better. We know how to get the job done.”

Yet, when the Americans were asked about the split at the post-event press conference, Spieth was diplomatic, saying it was a group decision that all were involved in. Furyk also jumped in, saying "Jordan and Patrick have been great in the past. Whether that’s a point of contention or not I felt we had two great pairings out of it. So it was totally my decision and my call.”

A moment which Reed called B.S.

"I was looking at (Jordan) like I was about to light the room up like Phil in ’14,” Reed said. He added, “Every day, I saw ‘Leave your egos at the door. They (the Europeans) do that better than us.”

Reed was also unhappy that Furyk sat him out for two sessions. "For somebody as successful in the Ryder Cup as I am, I don’t think it’s smart to sit me twice,” Reed said.

In his Saturday morning session with Woods, Reed, by an observer's tally, shot 85. Over the weekend Reed's wife Justine was angry about a GolfChannel.com editor's comment on Reed's less-than-steller play, and also made mention it was Spieth that wanted to break-up the pairing.

This is not the first time Reed has jabbed Spieth. Earlier in the season, Reed, in a spat with a rules official at Bay Hill, made a comment that Spieth would have received a more favorable ruling.

Reed went 0-2 with Woods as partner, winning his lone point of the weekend after the cup had already been decided. For his part, Spieth went 3-1 with Thomas.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/pa...as-about-to-light-the-room-up-like-phil-in-14

Reactions: NoleinATL
Patrick Reed is not into winning friends and influencing people.

Patrick Reed rips into Jordan Spieth, Jim Furyk in NYT interview: "I was looking at (Jordan) like I was about to light the room up like Phil in ’14"

Patrick Reed has often said he doesn't care what people think about him. Judging by this New York Times interview, that includes his fellow teammates as well.

Speaking with Karen Crouse an hour after departing Le Golf National, where the Americans suffered a seven-point Ryder Cup loss, Reed ripped into Jordan Spieth and American captain Jim Furyk.

Reed, the reigning Masters champion, said he expected to be paired with Spieth in Paris, and communicated that desire to Furyk. With reason: the two proved to be a dynamic duo for the United States the last four team events. However, Spieth and Reed were split, Spieth joining forces with Justin Thomas, Reed tagged with Tiger Woods. A move, according to Reed, that was Spieth's call.

"The issue’s obviously with Jordan not wanting to play with me,” Reed said. “I don’t have any issue with Jordan. When it comes right down to it, I don’t care if I like the person I’m paired with or if the person likes me as long as it works and it sets up the team for success. He and I know how to make each other better. We know how to get the job done.”

Yet, when the Americans were asked about the split at the post-event press conference, Spieth was diplomatic, saying it was a group decision that all were involved in. Furyk also jumped in, saying "Jordan and Patrick have been great in the past. Whether that’s a point of contention or not I felt we had two great pairings out of it. So it was totally my decision and my call.”

A moment which Reed called B.S.

"I was looking at (Jordan) like I was about to light the room up like Phil in ’14,” Reed said. He added, “Every day, I saw ‘Leave your egos at the door. They (the Europeans) do that better than us.”

Reed was also unhappy that Furyk sat him out for two sessions. "For somebody as successful in the Ryder Cup as I am, I don’t think it’s smart to sit me twice,” Reed said.

In his Saturday morning session with Woods, Reed, by an observer's tally, shot 85. Over the weekend Reed's wife Justine was angry about a GolfChannel.com editor's comment on Reed's less-than-steller play, and also made mention it was Spieth that wanted to break-up the pairing.

This is not the first time Reed has jabbed Spieth. Earlier in the season, Reed, in a spat with a rules official at Bay Hill, made a comment that Spieth would have received a more favorable ruling.

Reed went 0-2 with Woods as partner, winning his lone point of the weekend after the cup had already been decided. For his part, Spieth went 3-1 with Thomas.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/pa...as-about-to-light-the-room-up-like-phil-in-14

Absolute clown show.. he’s quickly becoming the biggest Richard cranium on tour. And by all accounts, it sounds like very few tour players like this guy

I think it is fair to question some pairings , but questioning the pick of Bryson is ridiculous. He was 9th in the standings and had just won the first two tournaments in the playoffs, there was no one more deserving of a captains pick.
Agree, plus he's a young guy and likely to learn a lot from this experience. He's gotten better virtually every year since he was 18.

Plenty of things to question, that's not one of them.

Reactions: cmanole
When you are out there at a tournament you gotta keep your head on a swivel. I never stand around the landing areas at tournaments. Either green or teebox areas. I know it was packed, but still...

That’s absurd. When you stand right at the barrier at a golf tournament you take a KNOWN risk that an errant ball flight could hit you. Just like sitting on the the third base line at a baseball game. If he had flung the club in anger or hit the ball oob on purpose, then there is fault. In this case, I’m sorry for her injury but I hope she gets NOTHING.

That’s absurd. When you stand right at the barrier at a golf tournament you take a KNOWN risk that an errant ball flight could hit you. Just like sitting on the the third base line at a baseball game. If he had flung the club in anger or hit the ball oob on purpose, then there is fault. In this case, I’m sorry for her injury but I hope she gets NOTHING.

I agree. She should pay attention. Just another person seeking money. So shocked!

Reactions: FSU1096
I would assume there is liability coverage.

I agree. She should pay attention. Just another person seeking money. So shocked!
I recently sat on a civil case involving personal injury. To say "just another person seeking money" only really scratches the surface of the real issue here.

Seriously, would you make the same statement if it happened to you or your wife or sibling or parent?

There are factual real cases where someone or some company is negligent and due to that negligence, some injuries are quite real, and damages suffered , physically and monetarily, are quite sad

I'll bet you this woman (and millions of others) didnt wake up in the morning, and say "well, I'm going to a golf tournament, its possible i might lose my eye in the process, so its worth the risk of watching"

If she sues, she'll have a good case if somehow its determined the tournament is negligent.

She lost the sight in an eye, it sounds like she has a serious debilitating injury, and I dont blame her.

They'll have to change their policy about attending these events in person.

"Scans on her eye revealed a "fracture of the right socket and the explosion of the eyeball", which, she said, surgeons managed to sew back together." :eek:

Ss1Z.gif

I have often wondered how many people get hit by tshots. They let people stand so close even the slightest angle could cause injury.
Why do they let people get that close? Surely the golfers don't like it. Is it to drive attendance?
If the ropes were angled back more, maybe this could have been avoided.
We dealt with something like this in baseball when we renovated Howser years ago and chose to install the net. Lots of fans didn't like looking through the net but it has probably saved a few severe injuries over the years.
Where does the institution's responsibility end and the patron's begin?

I recently sat on a civil case involving personal injury. To say "just another person seeking money" only really scratches the surface of the real issue here.

Seriously, would you make the same statement if it happened to you or your wife or sibling or parent?

There are factual real cases where someone or some company is negligent and due to that negligence, some injuries are quite real, and damages suffered , physically and monetarily, are quite sad

I'll bet you this woman (and millions of others) didnt wake up in the morning, and say "well, I'm going to a golf tournament, its possible i might lose my eye in the process, so its worth the risk of watching"

If she sues, she'll have a good case if somehow its determined the tournament is negligent.

She lost the sight in an eye, it sounds like she has a serious debilitating injury, and I dont blame her.

They'll have to change their policy about attending these events in person.

So her defense is going to be that officials should have warned her a ball was coming in her vicinity.

Feel bad for lady, but that is pathetic.

I’m sure her ticket stated she is attending at her own risk, and it appeared she was behind the ropes that were placed by organizers. It is shameful she is trying to pin the accident on someone.

So her defense is going to be that officials should have warned her a ball was coming in her vicinity.

Feel bad for lady, but that is pathetic.

I’m sure her ticket stated she is attending at her own risk, and it appeared she was behind the ropes that were placed by organizers. It is shameful she is trying to pin the accident on someone.
i actually have zero clue what stated risks (if any) are known to people that go to these tournaments.

Somehow, she would have to demonstrate negligence.

FWIW, If they have some type of liability release printed on the ticket itself, she probably will not have a case.

if they dont have one, she will have a case, and they will change their policy of putting that text on the ticket and on the grounds.

Just my guess.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT