ADVERTISEMENT

Ryder Cup 2018

If you stand anywhere near the fairway where teeshots are going to be landing, that’s on you. God blessed me with something called common sense. If you’re at a tournament right up against the ropes in a landing area, guess what? You have a much higher chance of getting hit by a golf ball with a ball speed of almost 180mph & being someone who gets a glove signed with ice bag on your coconut.

If you stand anywhere near the fairway where teeshots are going to be landing, that’s on you. God blessed me with something called common sense. If you’re at a tournament right up against the ropes in a landing area, guess what? You have a much higher chance of getting hit by a golf ball with a ball speed of almost 180mph & being someone who gets a glove signed with ice bag on your coconut.
However, God doesnt bless all of us equally.

I'm sure there must be some type of liability release.

After I thought more on it, she will have a tough time to prove negligence per se

giphy.gif

Reactions: jawjawemmy
However, God doesnt bless all of us equally.

I'm sure there must be some type of liability release.

After I thought more on it, she will have a tough time to prove negligence per se

I hope no one takes my posts as lack of sympathy. I hope she recovers fully. The tour does have warnings on the back of the tickets, & you’d have to prove negligence on the player, which she won’t be able to do. Much like a house built on the golf course, that person assumes responsibility if their house gets hit. You buy a house, or build a house on a fairway, you better expect your house may get hit. The home owner has no way to sue the golfer.

Reactions: FSU1096
Reed
Patrick Reed is not into winning friends and influencing people.

Patrick Reed rips into Jordan Spieth, Jim Furyk in NYT interview: "I was looking at (Jordan) like I was about to light the room up like Phil in ’14"

Patrick Reed has often said he doesn't care what people think about him. Judging by this New York Times interview, that includes his fellow teammates as well.

Speaking with Karen Crouse an hour after departing Le Golf National, where the Americans suffered a seven-point Ryder Cup loss, Reed ripped into Jordan Spieth and American captain Jim Furyk.

Reed, the reigning Masters champion, said he expected to be paired with Spieth in Paris, and communicated that desire to Furyk. With reason: the two proved to be a dynamic duo for the United States the last four team events. However, Spieth and Reed were split, Spieth joining forces with Justin Thomas, Reed tagged with Tiger Woods. A move, according to Reed, that was Spieth's call.

"The issue’s obviously with Jordan not wanting to play with me,” Reed said. “I don’t have any issue with Jordan. When it comes right down to it, I don’t care if I like the person I’m paired with or if the person likes me as long as it works and it sets up the team for success. He and I know how to make each other better. We know how to get the job done.”

Yet, when the Americans were asked about the split at the post-event press conference, Spieth was diplomatic, saying it was a group decision that all were involved in. Furyk also jumped in, saying "Jordan and Patrick have been great in the past. Whether that’s a point of contention or not I felt we had two great pairings out of it. So it was totally my decision and my call.”

A moment which Reed called B.S.

"I was looking at (Jordan) like I was about to light the room up like Phil in ’14,” Reed said. He added, “Every day, I saw ‘Leave your egos at the door. They (the Europeans) do that better than us.”

Reed was also unhappy that Furyk sat him out for two sessions. "For somebody as successful in the Ryder Cup as I am, I don’t think it’s smart to sit me twice,” Reed said.

In his Saturday morning session with Woods, Reed, by an observer's tally, shot 85. Over the weekend Reed's wife Justine was angry about a GolfChannel.com editor's comment on Reed's less-than-steller play, and also made mention it was Spieth that wanted to break-up the pairing.

This is not the first time Reed has jabbed Spieth. Earlier in the season, Reed, in a spat with a rules official at Bay Hill, made a comment that Spieth would have received a more favorable ruling.

Reed went 0-2 with Woods as partner, winning his lone point of the weekend after the cup had already been decided. For his part, Spieth went 3-1 with Thomas.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/pa...as-about-to-light-the-room-up-like-phil-in-14

Reed is the kind of guy who just doesnt get it. You cant go around bad mouthing someone and then think everything will be ok because you think it should be ok.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
I recently sat on a civil case involving personal injury. To say "just another person seeking money" only really scratches the surface of the real issue here.

Seriously, would you make the same statement if it happened to you or your wife or sibling or parent?

There are factual real cases where someone or some company is negligent and due to that negligence, some injuries are quite real, and damages suffered , physically and monetarily, are quite sad

I'll bet you this woman (and millions of others) didnt wake up in the morning, and say "well, I'm going to a golf tournament, its possible i might lose my eye in the process, so its worth the risk of watching"

If she sues, she'll have a good case if somehow its determined the tournament is negligent.

She lost the sight in an eye, it sounds like she has a serious debilitating injury, and I dont blame her.

They'll have to change their policy about attending these events in person.
If it's determined the tournament is negligent? Mother of God. The "tournament " didn't make the guy shank the ball, it happens in every golf match since the beginning of time. Caveat emptor, if you attend the event you may get hit. This is a good teaching moment, I'm going upstairs to let my son read your post.

Who cares? Bad things happen to good people every day. You musta wanted clicks.

I mean people stand along rally car tracks and get runover, response is "duh", not pity.

I recently sat on a civil case involving personal injury. To say "just another person seeking money" only really scratches the surface of the real issue here.

Seriously, would you make the same statement if it happened to you or your wife or sibling or parent?

There are factual real cases where someone or some company is negligent and due to that negligence, some injuries are quite real, and damages suffered , physically and monetarily, are quite sad

I'll bet you this woman (and millions of others) didnt wake up in the morning, and say "well, I'm going to a golf tournament, its possible i might lose my eye in the process, so its worth the risk of watching"

If she sues, she'll have a good case if somehow its determined the tournament is negligent.

She lost the sight in an eye, it sounds like she has a serious debilitating injury, and I dont blame her.

If it happened to my wife or daughter it would not change the facts would it? So a loved one changes the negligent question?

Reactions: FSU1096

Views like yours make our legal system a joke my friend

I would assume there is liability coverage.

I would also guess, that by purchasing her ticket, she gave up certian rights and consents. So, I'm sure the PGA nor Koepka are liable for or to her for anything.

It's that way at all sporting events, you give up a ton of rights, by agreeing to purchase and attend the event.

Still sux for her and I feel bad. I hope there is something doctors can do.

Great.....another lawsuit will bring much need change to society.

Ever wonder why kids don’t have fun playgrounds to play on anymore?!?! Freaking money grubbing attorneys and frivolous lawsuits!

This is an outlier situation. You assume the risk of getting hit by a ball when you go to a game, match, etc. ugh!

See would get more money if she just set up a Go Fund Me account and not give the lawyer 50% or more.

In relation to FSU the lack of netting to protect the bleachers at Howser is not what I would consider reasonable care by the university. A disclosure on a ticket does not overcome neglecting a known hazard.

Reactions: Noles61
In relation to FSU the lack of netting to protect the bleachers at Howser is not what I would consider reasonable care by the university. A disclosure on a ticket does not overcome neglecting a known hazard.
What lack of netting? Are you talking about the past?

How many people get his with golf balls every year?

Reactions: squiffynole
The difference here is that the tournament was in Europe which has different liability laws. This will be more of a shared liability for the accident. If it was the US she would be suing everyone from the golfer to the parking attendant.

Wow. So between a low energy Tiger, Reed being loathed by Jordan causing us to break up a good combo, and a near fight between our two best, I think we now can see why we lost so bad. These guys were a golf bag of head cases. Playing with too much emotion or too little is not often a recipe for Ryder Cup success. Unless you're Spanish.

I have zero problem with Reed airing that out either. They had a good thing going and it was stupid to break it up if Jordan simply did not like him. Probably why they played better together, honestly. Bad position to put Jim Furyk in as well.

Wow. So between a low energy Tiger, Reed being loathed by Jordan causing us to break up a good combo, and a near fight between our two best, I think we now can see why we lost so bad. These guys were a golf bag of head cases. Playing with too much emotion or too little is not often a recipe for Ryder Cup success. Unless you're Spanish.

To be fair, we didn't have a shot to win this no matter what condition our players were in. US golfers simply don't play European courses which require precision, layup shots, and patience. We're really, really good on courses that reward power and length and are ok if you miss a shot here and there.

Add in the fact that we really gave our team no chance to adjust to the time change, we had a ton of infighting, and also a number of players who really just aren't great there as well such as Lefty and Tiger still not being consistent and you're bound to have this.

Also, why is Bubba Watson ever on a european ryder cup? He's absolutely the worst in those conditions. Sure, I want him when it's in the US. But for God's sake, don't send him to europe.

Reactions: noleclone2
To be fair, we didn't have a shot to win this no matter what condition our players were in. US golfers simply don't play European courses which require precision, layup shots, and patience. We're really, really good on courses that reward power and length and are ok if you miss a shot here and there.

Add in the fact that we really gave our team no chance to adjust to the time change, we had a ton of infighting, and also a number of players who really just aren't great there as well such as Lefty and Tiger still not being consistent and you're bound to have this.

Also, why is Bubba Watson ever on a european ryder cup? He's absolutely the worst in those conditions. Sure, I want him when it's in the US. But for God's sake, don't send him to europe.

"Didn't have a shot" is hyperbole. The team arrived on Monday -- three days to adjust to time seems plenty to me.

Europe did a great job setting up a course to exploit both their strengths and the US weaknesses, and the US team chemistry was atrocious.

Wow. So between a low energy Tiger, Reed being loathed by Jordan causing us to break up a good combo, and a near fight between our two best, I think we now can see why we lost so bad. These guys were a golf bag of head cases.

These are athletes that rarely compete in a team environment. All these guys (in order to perform at that level) are self-centered egomaniacs. They don’t know how to be on a team.

These are athletes that rarely compete in a team environment. All these guys (in order to perform at that level) are self-centered egomaniacs. They don’t know how to be on a team.
I'd prefer a format where the coach has complete control over who is on the team rather than people automatically making it due to ranking. Then we could find players who actually do play together well, who's skills match the course we're playing at, etc...

Reactions: OsceolaNole
What lack of netting? Are you talking about the past?

How many people get his with golf balls every year?
The right field bleachers with the late afternoon sun in the eyes is the worst about every game there is a foul ball line drive that slams into the metal with a bang.

While I'm complaining the team dugouts could use a higher fence to keep everyone safe. They went to that at the softball field a couple of years ago but baseball is slow to modernize (to say the least).

Sorry for the digressions from golf its a pet peave.

Reactions: Noledog92
I read today that Koepka hit a tee shot off track into the gallery and exploded a lady’s eye.
That sucks.

God blessed me with something called common sense........

Most now days have either lost it or never had it, I swear it gets worse by the month.

Reactions: -OB1-
Personally, all events like this should be forced to have insurance to cover the medical costs as well as any disability insurance for any one injured. I don't think they should be forced to pay her directly, but insurance to cover instances like this should be mandatory.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT