ADVERTISEMENT

Senator Marco Rubio Intentionally Insults FSU Education

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys should not waste your mental energy to think about or respond to a statement that was obviously not
meant to be taken seriously.

Besides, your president put Marco down with a sharp retort .... also not to be taken seriously.

Reactions: nolesincebirth
You guys should not waste your mental energy to think about or respond to a statement that was obviously not
meant to be taken seriously.

Besides, your president put Marco down with a sharp retort .... also not to be taken seriously.

I think most of us are ready to move on and focus on what's important....football :) - at least until it is time to vote.

Reactions: pauldNole
@Sawyer55 do you work for the school? I always look forward to reading your post that cover FSU academics.

What can the alumni base do to push for improvements?

During the debate he said he wanted his secret service code name to be Gator (very original) and made a reference to this incident

His little smart ass quip during the debate was as smug as can be.
SMH, guy is running for prez, shouldn't he be focused on things more important than getting random barbs in at FSU fans?

Rubio just doesn't get it. He still thinks it's about football. I bet you he never even considered that the university system in Florida is anything beyond UF. Basically all these quips have shown that he lacks a bigger vision.

Reactions: Sawyer55
You guys should not waste your mental energy to think about or respond to a statement that was obviously not meant to be taken seriously.

You have a US Senator actively putting down the academics of the University of a state he represents. Sure, you think it's no big deal because it's not your alma mater.

I was thinking he should have said "Dumbo".

For obvious reasons of course....ears and dumb comments.

I thought it was fitting

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
Rubio just doesn't get it. He still thinks it's about football. I bet you he never even considered that the university system in Florida is anything beyond UF. Basically all these quips have shown that he lacks a bigger vision.

The historic UF-centric policy has resulted in Florida having a really crappy university system that is the envy of no one. It has been a complete failure.

Some of you may recall that about 15 years ago non-UF'ers spearheaded the abolition of the old statewide Board of Regents. This was done, in part, because UF alumni have such a sordid history of being horrible stewards of the Florida statewide university system through its stranglehold on the old statewide Board of Regents. The non-UF'ers won. The old system was scrapped. However, U.S. Senator Bob Graham, an ardent UF supporter, in an effort to protect UF's monopoly on research-intensive academic programs, championed the 2002 Florida Constitutional Amendment that formed the current Florida Board of Governors. The constitutional amendment contains the UF "avoiding wasteful duplication of facilities or programs" protectionism language was put into the constitutional amendment.

The historic UF strategy is clear: Give all the resources and important academic programs to UF and then shut the door to any other university under the guise of wasteful duplication of facilities or programs.

Here is an interesting article about the historic power struggles of the Statewide University System:

http://diginole.lib.fsu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=3395&context=etd

From page 79:

"The reason that E.T. York and Bob Graham and all these guys hated what happened [seamless policy articulated in the Education Governance Reorganization Act] was that they were scared to death to think their beloved University of Florida was going to be dissipated in terms of their political power, which they were able to enhance and elongate through the Board of Regents process. If you are based in Gainesville with three Democratic legislators, your political base is suspect. They understood that, and they got that. If you don’t understand that in the context of this struggle, I think you are missing something. The entire opposition to boards of trustees almost…look at Bob Graham and E.T. York. They are all at the University of Florida. Very, very few people from FAU
[Florida Atlantic University] or UNF [University of North Florida] give a hoot about this…It was all emanated out of ‘Gatorville.’"

Anyway, the underlying problems is that our state has never adequately funded any our state universities other than UF. And Florida law prevents the individual universities from setting their own tuition. As a result, each school must go begging each to the state legislature and governorfor a handout.

@Sawyer55 do you work for the school? I always look forward to reading your post that cover FSU academics.

What can the alumni base do to push for improvements?

I don't.

I think a good alumni base always donates to academics (even if a small amount), follow what is happening at the school (any major efforts underway? etc), and contacts the BOT demanding actual answers to what is FSU doing to make improvements....and don't accept weak answers.

Honestly, just watch FSU's BOT meetings (available online) and ask yourself if FSU has ambition beyond just handing out degrees (Community Colleges do this) and are they holding themselves and FSU leadership accountable? I don't believe they are.

For the most part, FSU fan base is always satisfied with no academic ambition, but protecting the football team. This mindset really has hurt FSU and allowed FSU leadership to accept big paychecks with little effort.

FSU has been lapped multiple times in this state by other schools making bigger moves than FSU. FSU rarely even notices, let alone tries to make big moves itself.

I don't.
...................FSU has been lapped multiple times in this state by other schools making bigger moves than FSU. FSU rarely even notices, let alone tries to make big moves itself.

I need to follow academics more. You mentioned in an earlier post that we might soon be behind USF and UCF. What are some examples of moves being made that would put them ahead of us?

I don't.

I think a good alumni base always donates to academics (even if a small amount), follow what is happening at the school (any major efforts underway? etc), and contacts the BOT demanding actual answers to what is FSU doing to make improvements....and don't accept weak answers.

Honestly, just watch FSU's BOT meetings (available online) and ask yourself if FSU has ambition beyond just handing out degrees (Community Colleges do this) and are they holding themselves and FSU leadership accountable? I don't believe they are.

For the most part, FSU fan base is always satisfied with no academic ambition, but protecting the football team. This mindset really has hurt FSU and allowed FSU leadership to accept big paychecks with little effort.

FSU has been lapped multiple times in this state by other schools making bigger moves than FSU. FSU rarely even notices, let alone tries to make big moves itself.

I didn't know the BOT meetings were available online. I'll start paying more attention to those. I've recently decided to start giving money back to the Alumni Association.

Do you know if Thrasher will be coming out with a State of FSU address? Our an outline of his views and goals for FSU's future while he is president?

Seems like FSU needs to put out some clear goals for the future so the alumni base can hold them accountable.

I need to follow academics more. You mentioned in an earlier post that we might soon be behind USF and UCF. What are some examples of moves being made that would put them ahead of us?

USF already has double the research dollars FSU has.....they are already there.

UCF has a FULL MISSION MED SCHOOL (John Thrasher helped get them this while serving on FSU's BOT) and it's OWN COE. These two items alone will put FSU behind, it is only a matter of time. UCF is huge with patents also.

These schools (and others in the state...FIU, etc) are MUCH more ambition and are doing more public/private partnerships, etc.

FSU commissioned a report around 2006 looking at what it needed to do to fix it's situation.....for the most part, FSU has done none of it and just accepts status quo. Our peers are not in status quo mode.

FSU is very comfortable and simply not aggressive. Kind of a good place to coast. FSU BOT and leadership are OK with this.

Sorry, Marco....there is only one Gator...

burt-reynolds-gator.gif

I didn't know the BOT meetings were available online. I'll start paying more attention to those. I've recently decided to start giving money back to the Alumni Association.

Do you know if Thrasher will be coming out with a State of FSU address? Our an outline of his views and goals for FSU's future while he is president?

Seems like FSU needs to put out some clear goals for the future so the alumni base can hold them accountable.

Personally, I donate to endowments directly to the foundation.

My favorite are:

*Any STEM program (Physics, Math, Biology, Med, etc)

*Office of National Fellowship (http://onf.fsu.edu/). This is an AMAZING program.

*Our endowment for your own academic program

I have not seen any CLEAR goals set by FSU......there are general goals ("Top 25"), but without TRUE actionable game plans....it is really just PR.

Reactions: JohnnieHolmesNole
USF already has double the research dollars FSU has.....they are already there.

UCF has a FULL MISSION MED SCHOOL (John Thrasher helped get them this while serving on FSU's BOT) and it's OWN COE. These two items alone will put FSU behind, it is only a matter of time. UCF is huge with patents also.

These schools (and others in the state...FIU, etc) are MUCH more ambition and are doing more public/private partnerships, etc.

FSU commissioned a report around 2006 looking at what it needed to do to fix it's situation.....for the most part, FSU has done none of it and just accepts status quo. Our peers are not in status quo mode.

FSU is very comfortable and simply not aggressive. Kind of a good place to coast. FSU BOT and leadership are OK with this.

The solutions to these problems are political. In order to progress in a significant way, FSU needs (1) a medical school with a full research mission, and (2) a solid engineering school.

FSU has a small medical school with a limited mission by state statute. (Say "thank you" to the UF lobby.)
FSU has a bad engineering school that it shares with FAMU by state statute. (Say "thank you" to the UF and FAMU lobby, including Sean Pittman, a FSU graduate turned FAMU lobbyist.)

These are political impediments that prevent FSU from becoming a world-class university. FSU is operating with one hand tied behind its back.

Advocate for FSU when you get the opportunity.

Reactions: 12Nole
I have a degree in Business Management.

I don't see how any of the things listed above will help the prestige of the business school or increase enrollment...and I'm not saying that as a University we shouldn't be trying to get better, but I just don't understand what one has to do with the other.

I'm a common sense guy. I feel like that if we hire the best and most qualified professors, set the highest standards for acceptance while filling seats, and then producing quality individuals in to the business sector, that we would THEN be considered the best.

Again, not seeing where research grants and other crap has anything to do with anything.

You have a US Senator actively putting down the academics of the University of a state he represents. Sure, you think it's no big deal because it's not your alma mater.
FSU's president put down the academics of my alma mater. Not only did I not take it seriously, I found it funny ..... a clever
zinger.

Having gone to both FSU (finished my BA) and UF (was dually enrolled in HS almost getting my AA just short two classes by the time I graduated HS and was forced to go back to get a post grad certification/prelicensure program)...they both blow academically. Florida doesn't really have a quality high end university period, private OR state. Education...is not what we do.

It's funny to me that on a board where everyone is a fan who loves to take shots at rivals, so many take something like this personally. Dudes a Gator. Let him take his shots. Who cares.

Reactions: F4Gary
Having gone to both FSU (finished my BA) and UF (was dually enrolled in HS almost getting my AA just short two classes by the time I graduated HS and was forced to go back to get a post grad certification/prelicensure program)...they both blow academically. Florida doesn't really have a quality high end university period, private OR state. Education...is not what we do.

But...eff that guy. If you're trying to improve the education system in the state he did it WRONG basically impugning one and making the other look petty and stupid.

Sucks to say this, but in terms of national reputation, you're totally right.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
FSU's president put down the academics of my alma mater. Not only did I not take it seriously, I found it funny ..... a clever
zinger.

Good for you.
A. Thrasher does not represent the entire state of FL, Rubio does
B. While a clever zinger, he could've also asked Rubio for help obtaining money to help improve FSU's academics, since in Rubio's opinion it's crap.

Reactions: Sawyer55
Perhaps this is a question for the Academics forum (that still exists right?), but over the last 2-3 years, which companies hired the most undergrads out of FSU?
Does anyone have the stats on this?

Plus Rubio's just flat wrong anyways. He apparently had to go to CC to "sneak" into Hogtown meanwhile I went there in lieu of HS classes and left as quickly as I could. I chose FSU over UF purposefully so I'm hardly a UF "reject", in fact I rejected UF as most of my HS dumbdumbs stayed there while the talented individuals went out of state. While I was "forced back" (it was UF or USF I had no other choice) because they were basically my only choice, there was nothing about sitting in a classroom with hundreds of dumbdumbs being taught by PhD candidate not even real professors that I enjoyed. Plus Gainesville....blech.

Plus Rubio's just flat wrong anyways. He apparently had to go to CC to "sneak" into Hogtown meanwhile I went there in lieu of HS classes and left as quickly as I could. I chose FSU over UF purposefully so I'm hardly a UF "reject", in fact I rejected UF as most of my HS dumbdumbs stayed there while the talented individuals went out of state. While I was "forced back" (it was UF or USF I had no other choice) because they were basically my only choice, there was nothing about sitting in a classroom with hundreds of dumbdumbs being taught by PhD candidate not even real professors that I enjoyed. Plus Gainesville....blech.

Anyway. Singular.

I'm curious what the total number of FSU alumni in Florida is? Anyone have an estimate. I conservatively assume he offended at least half of them enough to question his character. As close as the last elections have been in Florida, I assume this number will be statistically significant.

I'm curious what the total number of FSU alumni in Florida is? Anyone have an estimate. I conservatively assume he offended at least half of them enough to question his character. As close as the last elections have been in Florida, I assume this number will be statistically significant.

It would have to be huge. Even when I was going there it was something like 28,000 now it's what...some ridiculous number in the 40ks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT