ADVERTISEMENT

The Night Of - FINALE...The Call of the Wild (Spoilers)

I still think one of the first two guys in the cab and Trevor are going to play a big role in the conclusion.

I don't think anyone has touched on this yet but what did Naz say to the two guys outside the house before he went in with Andrea? And where was the initial party supposed to be located? I haven't rewatched but it seemed to me like Naz looked like he thought he knew them. I could be wrong though.

Trevor tells Duane "Look, Mustafa left his bombs at home" to which Nas asks him what he said. Trevor repeats "I said Did you leave your bombs at home Mustafa?"

He didn't know them and later says it was just two guys and didn't know who they were when talking to Stone and Chandra in jail.

I thought I recalled him saying something else to Trevor. Maybe not though.

Not really, Andrea says "Give it a rest, ok" and Trevor says "no, no, I was just talking to him, I wasn't talking to you. What, you see homeland security or something?" to which Nas laughs as they walk inside.

I still think one of the first two guys in the cab and Trevor are going to play a big role in the conclusion.

I hope they don't bring the two guys from the cab back in to this story in the last episode as the killers. It would be cool if they did have some tie in with the story like possibly running from or having an encounter with a suspect from this story. But they have a lot to bring together in the last episode so not sure these two will be involved in the story beyond what we already know.

I don't think that the ending is going to conclude that the real murderer was a longshot guess (like the two guys who got into the cab first) . The writers are taunting us. And their real purpose is to create a "who did it" where they lay out little clues to see what we will do. That is why some of the dramatic scenes don't make sense such as: She coincidentally lives on a street where the camera doesn't work. Naz never gives a complete statement of everything he knows. The interaction between the defense attorneys and Box seems weak. Naz has no one to talk to where he talks about what happened.

The writers probably think that they have left us all the clues to figure it out. The cat. Two people allergic to cats. The inhaler - it's not on the bed, then it's on the bed, then it's in the evidence bag, then it's taken out of the evidence bad in violation of police procedures. Duane, The trainer. The drugs. The knife set. The missing knife. The open refrigerator door. The broken gate to the lower level front door. The inability to see the kitchen from the lower level entrance. The crazy hearse driver that seemingly follows them from the gas station.

The CPA is an odd character. It is not clear who he is representing, andI hate to make conclusions based on this writing team. He is not allowed to represent both Andrea and the trainer in any dispute. I assume he is not representing the trainer, but it's not clear that he is working for Andrea either (I need to check). I assume he was the Mother's CPA and therefore is working for the estate itself. I am going to watch that scene again with Stone. Any estate can go into probate whether there is a will or not or whether or not it's contested. Since he has no money, there must be a will where she gets everything and he is contesting it. I am not sure how the CPA got hold of the trainer's credit records and why Stone needed the CPA to do that. Obviously what Stone needs is the will. Oh well - can't speculate anymore until I watch again.

I hope they don't bring the two guys from the cab back in to this story in the last episode as the killers. It would be cool if they did have some tie in with the story like possibly running from or having an encounter with a suspect from this story. But they have a lot to bring together in the last episode so not sure these two will be involved in the story beyond what we already know.

That would be a ridiculous stretch to go back to the original 2 people who got into the cab. Nas drove Andrea all over the damn city at that point. Note that Nas picked up Andrea down in the East Village.

21 mile total trip. And the cab pick-up is no where near Andrea's apartment.

Capture.jpg

I don't think it's the two guys who jumped into the cab, either. It is intriguing, though, to wonder where they came from. Within a minute of the cops tossing them out of the cab, Andrea slides in. Had all three of them been at the same place before looking for a cab?

I'm less interested in them in that context than wondering just what Andrea had been up to that night. Hope we'll get something on that, but it could just be an end that will remain loose.

I am bumping this up as we are a little more than 24 hours away from the conclusion of a fascinating show. It has been frustrating as the writers toy with us. But it has been definitely worth it

This is it....put your cards on the table, whatcha got?

Final Verdict: Innocent or guilty?

Who really did it: Naz or the field (tell who)?

I think we don't get to find out who the killer actually is. But I think there is enough doubt introduced by the defense to get Nas a "not guilty" verdict. I have a feeling the show is going to end abruptly, not really exploring much beyond the end of the trial.

There's a whole bunch to cover in finale and the final episode is long, so I could be wrong about all that.

I think we don't get to find out who the killer actually is. But I think there is enough doubt introduced by the defense to get Nas a "not guilty" verdict. I have a feeling the show is going to end abruptly, not really exploring much beyond the end of the trial.

There's a whole bunch to cover in finale and the final episode is long, so I could be wrong about all that.

Not guilty

Who is the guilt party?

And I agree, so many things to explore and only one episode left. Seems impossible to get through without it feeling abrupt.

Not guilty.

Step dad did it.

Something bad happens to Naz anyway

I think Naz gets killed in prison. I hope the entire story is revealed with most of the characters connected or witnesses in some way. In the final scene a girl gets into a cab and when asked where does she want to go she looks up and says, "I want to go to the beach".

My vote is that Naz is not guilty. As far as the real killer, only the trainer step-dad has a pre-determined motive. But he didn't kill her. Only the hearse driver was monster enough to stab her 22 times.

My prediction

Not guilty

Stepdad is the new person of interest

Naz does something in prison to be arrested for and doesn't leave prison.

If Naz is innocent but remains in prison, I would guess that Freddie frames him. I never understood Freddie's interest in Naz, but now I believe that Freddie needs someone of Naz's innocent background to keep getting the drugs from the supplier. On the other hand, I believe that Naz has figured this out. So the race is on. As he gets closer to being found innocent, the more at risk he becomes to whatever Freddie's plans are.

If Naz is innocent but remains in prison, I would guess that Freddie frames him. I never understood Freddie's interest in Naz, but now I believe that Freddie needs someone of Naz's innocent background to keep getting the drugs from the supplier. On the other hand, I believe that Naz has figured this out. So the race is on. As he gets closer to being found innocent, the more at risk he becomes to whatever Freddie's plans are.

I thought about that too...Freddie is down 2 guys now.

Really, I think Nas is more useful to him outside than inside. With Petey dead, he needs someone to bring him drugs from outside into prison. Unless Nas becomes the new Petey.

With as much connections as he has with the guards, I still don't understand why Freddy can't just have the guards look other way

Reactions: DanC78
Really, I think Nas is more useful to him outside than inside. With Petey dead, he needs someone to bring him drugs from outside into prison. Unless Nas becomes the new Petey.

With as much connections as he has with the guards, I still don't understand why Freddy can't just have the guards look other way

Hopefully he seperates himself from Freddy in the outside. I don't know why he wouldn't, unless he just likes the thrill. But he has family and is in college etc.

Who knows

Hopefully he seperates himself from Freddy in the outside. I don't know why he wouldn't, unless he just likes the thrill. But he has family and is in college etc.

Who knows

Nothing is free. I don't think Nas getting out changes his obligation to Freddy whenever Freddy wants. He has connections on the outside, so Nas getting out probably wouldn't change much.

I can't wait to find out how this thing ends. Hopefully delivers with the finale.

My prediction

Not guilty

Stepdad is the new person of interest

Naz does something in prison to be arrested for and doesn't leave prison.

This is my feeling as well. The family ends up completely torn apart, the case isn't officially solved but another girl turns up dead in similar fashion right at the end with another suspect being caught at or near the scene who looks guilty.

This is my feeling as well. The family ends up completely torn apart, the case isn't officially solved but another girl turns up dead in similar fashion right at the end with another suspect being caught at or near the scene who looks guilty.

The step dad is not a mass murderer and I don't think he would stab Andrea 22 times. I think he may have planned something and perhaps Duane was in on it. But someone else intervened - coincidentally - and killed her. I am guessing the hearse driver. All I have to go on is the fact that the driver is crazy, the murder had the look of a ritual around it, and the step dad initially said that the murdered girl in the picture was not Andrea. He changed his mind when the police wanted to show him the body.

Technically, Andrea was never ID'd by a live person. I am not saying that that wasn't her. I just think it's another deviation from police procedures that was intentionally put in by the writers to leave clues, or confuse us. The step dad freaked out (I am guessing) because he could be implicated in a crime he did not commit, because the crime he intended to commit never happened.

Went to record show and the in the title it says:

"Stone is thrust into the spotlight as a controversy involving the defense emerges"

Interesting.

Stone is going to My Cusin Vinny this thing!

Reactions: DFSNOLE
So I think a few people nailed different aspects of the finale.

At least person honed in on the financial advisor.

Several people figured Chandra would get caught kissing Nas, leading to Stone taking over.

Most people figured Box would be Box and keep investigating going off his hunch.

And the conclusion wasn't really entirely wrapped up. We figure the financial advisor was the one, sure seems that way. But we don't get to actually see it all unfold.

I honestly thought a better ending would have been for the judge to ask the prosecutor, after discussing the hung jury, what she wanted to do. Camera lingers on her, then we don't get to hear what happens after that.

Pretty disappointed they went with the financial advisor. If he were guilty, why tell stone anything? They already had Nas arrested, trial was already set and he looked dead to rights. Why say anything? He was free and clear, with no obligation or need for a patsy. Why try to paint step-dad as guilty? What if step dad had an iron clad alibi? Wouldn't Financial Advisor just bring more attention to himself?

That part pissed me off the most. Followed by Chandra giving Nas drugs. Lost all compassion for Nas. Turturro owned that episode, he and the prosecutor were awesome, as was Box. The rest, meh.

Not a bad finale, but not great. Entertaining, gripping, but not a great final 15 min.

What made Stone's skin disease flare up, the stress or the cat? At first it was obvious that it was the stress but then we see the cat roaming freely in his apartment.

Went to record show and the in the title it says:

"Stone is thrust into the spotlight as a controversy involving the defense emerges"

Interesting.

Stone is going to My Cusin Vinny this thing!

LOL I posted this twice, albeit with a Spoiler tag. Once after episode 6, and once last week. TV guide put out the episode descriptions all at once, apparently.

Also, I learned today that if you watch a show live HBO GO that you can skip to the end. I had to watch from my phone and accidentally skipped ahead by an hour. Guess if you wanted to, you could do that with every episode on there.

Reactions: DanC78
Anyone call hung jury?

I hit on nothing!

I kept thinking Freddy was going to come and stab Naz on the way out of prison...he or one of his goons.

And Im thinking once your trial is over and you're free to go home you would not be allowed back in prison to say your good byes. Im sure the guards would collect his things and bring to front of prison etc, something like that. Having a guy just prounced innocent prancing around the cell floor is a little far fetched imo.

I also thought freddy and Naz were going to go all HBO on us and make out over their crack pipe there for a second.

And was it the cat that made Stone break out at the end?

And why didn't Box just take the new evidence to the defense if the prosecutor wasn't interested?

Last edited:
That was about what j expected-- a mediocre finale. I think a lot of shows are like that--so great along the way and then the ending is inevitably a let down.

I think we were all waiting for a gotcha moment or to see something from that night we hadn't seen. And we did a little of that I guess.

I agree w the post above that some of the aspects of this ep were downright hokey

That was about what j expected-- a mediocre finale. I think a lot of shows are like that--so great along the way and then the ending is inevitably a let down.

I think we were all waiting for a gotcha moment or to see something from that night we hadn't seen. And we did a little of that I guess.

I agree w the post above that some of the aspects of this ep were downright hokey

I was the one that pointed out the financial advisor as being "odd". It was very unclear as to who was his client, but I assumed it was the mother, and therefore the client became the estate. He was the only one besides the step dad who know about the estate issues, but only he knew all the details. It was cheap of the show to bring up facts in the last episode. It did show however how the DA was willing to keep going in spite of it. As far as why was he offering Stone the evidence, he knew that Naz was the accused, but he also knew that Naz was innocent. The CPA was always at risk so he threw Stone onto the scent of the step Dad. But the CPA would not have done that unless there was a way that the step Dad could be implicated. So, still an odd set of facts.

But did the CPA do it? Guess so. He was fighting with the step Dad at the funeral, which we now know was two days after the step Dad filed to get the claim on the estate. That would have cut off the CPA's access to the estate accounts.

We could probably go on and on about how the series was somewhat unsatisfying because the writers (in my view) broke the golden rule of a who done it - the clues that led to the real killer were not evident in the prior 7 episodes. Yeah the CPA was odd as I pointed out, but so was the undertaker and the step dad. The evidence that led Box to Halle was the security footage that was taken before she got in the cab. We obviously had no clue. But Box figured out that when she turned her head backwards before entering the cab, that she was leaving a bad scene. Just not sure why the defense could not have done the same digging.

In the end, it's a show about how in innocent person can get caught into the web of a police investigation, where the goal is to get a conviction as opposed to the truth. The police and the DA took the easy way out and followed the evidence in one path. Only a seasoned veteran with a conscience was able to somewhat right the ship. But Naz is now a drug addict, a pariah in his neighborhood, and will be forever estranged from his mother. The public will never accept him until the real killer is found. Season 2?

In the end, it's a show about how in innocent person can get caught into the web of a police investigation, where the goal is to get a conviction as opposed to the truth. The police and the DA took the easy way out and followed the evidence in one path. Only a seasoned veteran with a conscience was able to somewhat right the ship. But Naz is now a drug addict, a pariah in his neighborhood, and will be forever estranged from his mother. The public will never accept him until the real killer is found. Season 2?
I think this is exactly it. A good young man is now not because of the system.

What made Stone's skin disease flare up, the stress or the cat? At first it was obvious that it was the stress but then we see the cat roaming freely in his apartment.
It was the extreme stress of having to give the final argument. The cat was just his true heart/goodness being reflected through the paralells of the case.

Reactions: HulaNole
I think this is exactly it. A good young man is now not because of the system.
If that's the case (and I think you're correct), the story should have focused more on Nas' transition. Instead, he went from a scared kid to prison tough guy in one episode.

The ending felt like a CSI/Criminal Minds episode to me. Not worthy of a six-week investment.

I was disappointed with the finale but the jury felt the way most during this story which is some thought he did it while others did not. I feel like a lot of holes were still left like why he go downstairs? Where was the murder weapon? What was the reason the prosecutor changed her shoes at the stand? Was that to signify that she changed her opinion?

I think the good part was the development of box not being able to let the situation go and found the killer. Also the way they represented the prosecutor who lost her place when Box got up to leave the court. It also looked like she was questioning herself during her closing arguments while holding the knife. The series should how tired the justice system is that try to go with whatever gets a conviction over truth. The fact that's at play in the legal system is scary.

What sad is no one came out the better in the end. Stone didn't get more good publicity, Naz is black-balled, Chandra lost her job, and Naz's family has a rift.

Reactions: dmm5157
- Write in a character with very little development as the killer (we are to assume) is exactly what I did not want to see.

-Naz is left to suffer in his community reputation and new drug addiction. It was pointed out that his transformation was based on surviving prison. That claim was never substantiated in the show. Tattoos and using drugs where never encouraged or demanded from what we see..

-After Stone kicks ass in court he is no better for it and back to doing the $250.00 cases with very itchy skin.

-After a career of detective work, Box conscious is the driving force to write this wrong.

-After a career of DA work, the DA decides not to continue with another trial and go directly after another target instead of investigating the murder further.

-The young lawyer who was put in this case as a prop will probably get disbarred and was fired. You may have heard my groans with the smuggling drugs scene. That and the kiss scene was very hard/impossible for me to get passed.

-The "who done it" is was made this show interesting. Discussing and coming up with various theories while following the clues and reading between lines made this show a lot of fun. I just wished they could have written in the killer with the clues we had. A murder investigation that does not question the boyfriend. Box with Stone witnessed the investor getting yelled after the funeral while having a picture of him and victim at the beach and this doesn't peak Box's interest.

-I understand the shows focus was on the characters and their lives but they did not have to throw the investigation which kept our attention into the trash can.

-The ending was not all bad though. The cat lives!

giphy.gif

The whole ending made at least 5 episodes irrelevant. The inhaler - the investigator (Katz) who knew that you couldn't see the kitchen from the front door or staircase - the open refrigerator door - the number of knives - the gap of time where Naz does not know how he got from the bedroom to the kitchen - the long silent stare between Naz and Duane - why Trevor really lied about being alone - the broken gate - the sample taken from the deer head -

All these facts led us on to a wild goose chase. And that would have been ok had Halle played a bigger role and we had seen more hints about him.

But did he really stab her 22 times? Are we being set up for another season?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT