ADVERTISEMENT

The Official LR College Bowl Season Thread!

FSUSarah

Veteran Seminole Insider
May 21, 2003
Decatur, AL
So many bowls. Opens up today. And what a difference a year makes. Houston went from playing in a NY6 bowl game to playing on the first day of bowls. And they lost their coach.

Air Force Reserve Celebration Bowl
North Carolina Central vs. Grambling
12 p.m., ABC
Georgia Dome, Atlanta

Gildan New Mexico Bowl
New Mexico vs. UTSA
2 p.m., ESPN
University Stadium, Albuquerque, N.M.

Las Vegas Bowl Presented by Geico
Houston vs. San Diego State
3:30 p.m., ABC
Sam Boyd Stadium, Las Vegas

Raycom Media Camellia Bowl
Appalachian State vs. Toledo
5:30 p.m., ESPN
Cramton Bowl, Montgomery, Ala.

AutoNation Cure Bowl
UCF vs. Arkansas State
5:30 p.m., CBS Sports Network
Camping World Stadium, Orlando, Fla.

R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl
Southern Mississippi vs. Louisiana-Lafayette
9 p.m., ESPN
Mercedes-Benz Superdome, New Orleans

These games are crap, for the most part. But don't overlook the FCS championships. Last night's game between James Madison and NorthDakota State was exciting not only for its ebb and flow but also because these guys were playing for the right to play in the national championship game.

These games are crap, for the most part. But don't overlook the FCS championships. Last night's game between James Madison and NorthDakota State was exciting not only for its ebb and flow but also because these guys were playing for the right to play in the national championship game.
I was glad to see the Bye-zzzun go down.

So McCaffrey is skipping Stanford's bowl game (Fournette is doing the same with LSUs bowl). I'd guess this will become a common trend, but it's one I already hate. McCaffrey's announcement included some crapola thanking his teammates for their support, which "really meant a lot to him."

I'd imagine most of them are thinking "eff you"

So McCaffrey is skipping Stanford's bowl game (Fournette is doing the same with LSUs bowl). I'd guess this will become a common trend, but it's one I already hate. McCaffrey's announcement included some crapola thanking his teammates for their support, which "really meant a lot to him."

I'd imagine most of them are thinking "eff you"

I feel like if a player skips the bowl game they should have to pay back their scholarship for that semester

I feel like if a player skips the bowl game they should have to pay back their scholarship for that semester

I don't ever see that gaining any traction, plus, I think Stanford has more than gotten their moneys' worth out of McCaffrey over the last couple of years.

The only way this type of move is stopped is if the NFL views it unfavorably and it's reflected in the player's eventual draft position. That would be hard to quantify.

Reactions: BelemNole
C0EB1kRUQAAix4I.jpg

Yesterday's Miami Beach Bowl. I'd laugh if this wasn't just plain sad. Bowls like this just need to go. One of the largest groups of people in attendance are the vendors who are supposed to work the game.

Last edited:
I don't ever see that gaining any traction, plus, I think Stanford has more than gotten their moneys' worth out of McCaffrey over the last couple of years.

The only way this type of move is stopped is if the NFL views it unfavorably and it's reflected in the player's eventual draft position. That would be hard to quantify.

The only way this gains traction is if front office types come to the stance of "if this player leaves his team and free education to concentrate on working out on his own, what will he do when there are millions of dollars in his bank account and 20 hours of free time a day?"

If that takes Fournette from pick 7 to pick 58 and costs him $28 million... or if it takes McCaffrey from pick 37 to pick 108 and costs him $8 million, is that enough to deter future players from "looking out for #1?"

Boca Raton Bowl... where you get rewarded by playing in a stadium that is smaller than your home field.

There is going to be so much chrome with those helmets though.

C0EB1kRUQAAix4I.jpg

Yesterday's Miami Beach Bowl. I'd laugh if this wasn't just plain sad. Bowls like this just need to go. One of the largest groups of people in attendance are the vendors who are supposed to work the game.
What a terrible venue for a football game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT