ADVERTISEMENT

The Official LR College Gameday Drinking Game Thread!

Another three and out. Just garbage play calling again. Honestly, at some point we do have to admit it is not all on the players. This staff has underwhelmed bigly, hate to say it.

I'd still say it's 70% on the players (and Jimmy James Joe Jim Bob and his staff for failing to adequately recruit) and 30% on the new staff.

As far as the 70% on the players and James Jimmy Joe Jim Jimbob it's because:

1) our OLine is irredeemably bad and we will basically be starting from almost zero (Scott might develop in a year or so). I have never seen a team as dreadfully pathetic on the OLine as this one. Every single time we have a good play it's because the coaches had schemed around our terrible OLine. This is singlehandedly at least 40% of the problem.

2) Terrible LB corps. We had one or two FSU quality bodies when Taggart took over which is about 7 under what we need. Our defensive coaches maybe did an even better job than the offensive disguising how miserable this unit is for us other than a couple of guys.

3) Bad QB selection and development by Jimmy Joe James Jim Jim Robert Joe Bob after Jameis (who was number one his year, that's not exactly a hidden gem). How many QBs did we rin through only to end up with Blackman and Frenchy? Malik Henry, Everett Golson, De'andre Johnson, John Franklin the 3rd, Jacob Coker, JJ Cosentino, and probably one or two I've forgotten about. All in and out of the program thanks to the "QB Whisperer". That left us with an only two deep QB roster that has underachieved significantly.

The 30% I blame on the current coaching is because:

1) Continuing to utilize upperclassmen WR when you had far better underclassmen. In particular, Terry was terribly (pun, rimshot) under-utilised. We should have scripted/mandated 12 throws his way every game, starting early and often. The dude is almost unstoppable.

2) Misused Khalan Laborn. Lambo was our scariest offensive threat not named Terry all season but we only barely started using him before his season ending injury.

3) Not recognising early on our special teams coach was desperately out of his element (I don’t think he should be fired, but he needs to be back in a non”on the field” coaching position worried only about eying and securing talent). We should have had some backup geezer ST coaches ready to fill in midyear at the latest.

The rest of the things the coaches got blamed for (allegedly “not scheming around the bad OLine” despite doing a great job doing just that to the best it’s humanly possible and the defensive coaches “not being aggressive” when they are busy protecting a gaping whole in the middle of the defense all year), I don’t think are valid criticisms. I would add Not Starting Blackman as a fourth criticism but I think something else is going on there (deals to keep both Blackman and Howell in the fold for next year when we might be decent).

That is the true $64,000 question. If he lands a great class I am still hopeful. If class falls apart, it will be a long next few years and he will be on the true hot seat.

I don’t think we need (nor will we get) a top 5 recruiting class. If we get Howell, two or three quality frosh LBs, one or two quality Juco LBs, two quality JUCO/grad transfer OTs, one or two quality frosh OTs who can at least not be open gates their frosh year, and a couple of other OLinemen then we will be fine next year. I don’t think playoff quality because THAT will take two or three years of quality recruiting at the LB and OL positions plus maintaining the current quality elsewhere to get back to. But I think we can be a 9-10 win team next year and “Beat the DamnGators” next year if we can secure this for the incoming class.

I'm gonna go rake some leaves...on my birthday. Football sucks.

:D

LOL Thank you for your service in defending the state against devastating and rampant forest fires.

a-man-raking-leaves-stock-illustrations__sps0040.jpg

A true hero of the people.

I don’t think we need (nor will we get) a top 5 recruiting class. If we get Howell, two or three quality frosh LBs, one or two quality Juco LBs, two quality JUCO/grad transfer OTs, one or two quality frosh OTs who can at least not be open gates their frosh year, and a couple of other OLinemen then we will be fine next year. I don’t think playoff quality because THAT will take two or three years of quality recruiting at the LB and OL positions plus maintaining the current quality elsewhere to get back to. But I think we can be a 9-10 win team next year and “Beat the DamnGators” next year if we can secure this for the incoming class.
Geeze....sounds like more than a pipe dream

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe
Geeze....sounds like more than a pipe dream

We’re doing ok so far towards that class. We lost the four star tackle who was “committed” to us but most recruitniks said that was basically a foregone conclusion. We’re still in it for a bunch of others.

Charles Cross the one we lost wouldn’t be able to contribute much if anything his frosh year he was too light. But if we get Neal he could probably start from day one or at least contribute a lot.

The Jucos/grad transfer OTs we are just now getting into hot and heavy recruiting. A couple (or maybe three) will be coming our way soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: NoleFan2U
From the sound of things, sitting on the 405 on the way to LAX instead of watching the game was the better choice.

We’re doing ok so far towards that class. We lost the four star tackle who was “committed” to us but most recruitniks said that was basically a foregone conclusion. We’re still in it for a bunch of others.

Charles Cross the one we lost wouldn’t be able to contribute much if anything his frosh year he was too light. But if we get Neal he could probably start from day one or at least contribute a lot.

The Jucos/grad transfer OTs we are just now getting into hot and heavy recruiting. A couple (or maybe three) will be coming our way soon.
Not that there is anything I can do to help but I know WT is a fabulous recruiter and I hope he finds men that want to play, and keep playing.

"the 405". Heh, you can take the boy out of California, but you can't take the California out of the boy...er..man.
;)

I have faith in WT. I really have no choice.:D

Next year, we will improve and start a new winning season/bowl streak!

I'm not ready to give up on Willie yet. There have been some things I haven't been happy with, but the guy seems committed to turning this team around. Remember his struggles when he first took over USF? I honestly think FSU will be much better next year. Another year in the weight room, another year in this offense/defense, and we're going to lose some players that really seem to be a cancer. I think we'll also be better with Blackman and (hopefully) Howell. Frency can't run the RPO and he just doesn't make quick decisions overall. While I don't think our O-line is incredible, I think he makes them look worse because he holds the ball too long, and I think he does that because he can't throw guys open.

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe
I'm not ready to give up on Willie yet. There have been some things I haven't been happy with, but the guy seems committed to turning this team around. Remember his struggles when he first took over USF? I honestly think FSU will be much better next year. Another year in the weight room, another year in this offense/defense, and we're going to lose some players that really seem to be a cancer. I think we'll also be better with Blackman and (hopefully) Howell. Frency can't run the RPO and he just doesn't make quick decisions overall. While I don't think our O-line is incredible, I think he makes them look worse because he holds the ball too long, and I think he does that because he can't throw guys open.
Who do think will leave? I will give my list to Santa this year.

Reactions: NoleSoup4U
Not that there is anything I can do to help but I know WT is a fabulous recruiter and I hope he finds men that want to play, and keep playing.
It's not a difficult sell. Anyone visiting here can clearly see our beautiful...campus. Anyone watching us play this year can see there's plenty of opportunity to play immediately for a prestigious program.

Reactions: NoleFan2U
Aside from the Miami game, every loss was by 19 points or more. That’s just astounding. Not only did we get handed loss after loss we were not even competitive. That’s so disheartening.

He's been here four years, so he should have it already. If he graduates, he could choose to move on as a graduate transfer.

Honestly, I don’t think he would be bad at all if he was behind a solid OLine, didn’t have to run RPOs and can pick his targets. Heck at Bama he’d probably be up for a Heisman. But he clearly cannot function properly behind a leaky OLine. He needs to go somewhere like Wisconsin or Iowa where he can do normal designed handoffs and occasionally toss the ball to wide open WRs behind his cushion of giant corn fed and cornbred O Linemen.

And to think, when I showed up at FSU, we were more a basketball school than a football school.

Aside from the Miami game, every loss was by 19 points or more. That’s just astounding. Not only did we get handed loss after loss we were not even competitive. That’s so disheartening.
Agree but also some of this was ridiculous schedule too. Would have been similar results last year. But it was a perfect storm of a bad FSU team and really tough schedule. Clemson and Notre Dame are likely undefeated playoff teams. The Syracuse team we played ion the road was their best in decades. Sad to say, clearly UF was way better than last yea’s team and a legit top 15 team. NC State has one of their best teams since Philip Rivers years and we always struggle up there. Still, if not for bogus lateral call against Miami we would be bowling. But yeah, it was ridiculous the number of blowouts.

Highlights of my day. Watching someone get whitegirl wasted by Noon. She had to be getting over a breakup or something because they weren't there for football. I'm glad her girlfriends had her back and helped her.

Spending the 4th quarter talking baseball with former FSU pitcher Chuck Howell.

I'm ready for 1st pitch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT