ADVERTISEMENT

True Detective starts tonight

Who was the guy that shot the dude in the last scene?

He looked familiar but I can't recall
Lt Burris.

Go back and read some of the theories above. Looks like no tricks with him, seems like he was indeed the skinny "El jefe" copy Irina refered to.

So the one question I am still waiting to be answered is why did the birdman wait until Ray discovered the tape in the s&m house. Hopefully they cover all that in the finale.

Was thinking after last night's show that a lot of elements were taken from the movie LA CONFIDENTIAL.

• Prostitution ring where girls receive surgery to look a certain way (in LAC it's to look like movie stars)
  • The cops and city officialsare involved in a deep ring of corruption, including the Prostitution ring.
  • A character is blackmailed by using photos of him and his gay lover.
  • There's an interrogation house used for torturing suspects, not unlike the cabin in Guerneville.
  • Paparazzi follow around one of the policemen, who is somewhat of a celebrity (in TD2, it's not a positive thing though).
  • Both take place in and around LA.

It's been a while since I've seen LA CONFIDENTIAL, there may be even more similarities.

Last edited:
Reactions: HulaNole
Anyone notice the list that Frank gave the turkish mobsters? Machine guns, shotguns, grenades, tear gas, gas masks, and also asks for 2 getaway cars. Hum and Nails about to have them some fun.

Reactions: HulaNole
Anyone notice the list that Frank gave the turkish mobsters? Machine guns, shotguns, grenades, tear gas, gas masks, and also asks for 2 getaway cars. Hum and Nails about to have them some fun.

Had they ever mentioned that Frank's driver's name is Nails? When Blake was talking about everyone that was bought, "except nails", I thought that was weird. I also thought it was odd because that was the first time I'd heard the name. Thought at first it was a nail salon business (Breaking Bad), but then recalled the driver. Just like Stan (a guy we'd never even met), we're supposed to know all this stuff? Odd.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TrueDetective/comments/3bxtqb/season_2_rays_driver_nails/

From the link above:

Also I looked up the actor on imdb and saw this: "Chris Kerson appears next as a series regular in the season two cast of the acclaimed HBO crime drama television series True Detective. He portrays the mesmerizing character "Nails," a survivor of a brutal nail gun attack and loyal company man, to "Frank Semyon" played by Vince Vaughn"

I've seen each episode 4 times and I don't ever remember hearing any of that. Also "mesmerizing character"... Not yet.

I was glad to see others were wondering what the deal was with Nails as well. Seems like they've spent very little time exploring his character (even less than Stan's). Could he be a double cross character?

Nails is Frank's new #2. He's the quiet guy that is always in the background. I think he was the one that was using the nail gun on the mexican cartel guy during his interrogation. I just figured that was his form of torture, hence the nickname.

Nails is Frank's new #2. He's the quiet guy that is always in the background. I think he was the one that was using the nail gun on the mexican cartel guy during his interrogation. I just figured that was his form of torture, hence the nickname.

Did you read his mini bio on IMDB? Said he survived a brutal nail gun attack in the series True Detective. Then again, that entry could be incorrect as it's not "official". I don't recall hearing anything of the sort in the show.

I'd brought him up earlier in the series as being odd that he never spoke. When he finally did, it was to utter than horrible and cheesy line "half anaconda, half great white".

Hmmm, I don't remember him attacked by a nail gun, maybe they got that part confused with him actually being the guy using the nail gun. Or maybe it's just part of his backstory?

It also sucked to see Woodrough get wacked, he kicked some serious ass there in the tunnels only to get shot in the back after escaping.

One thing that they did figure out is that Caspere's secretary was the little girl from the diamond shop, so who is the brother? I read that he might be the movie set photographer.

thought the same thing - dude fights his way out only to get murdered. Also, they finally move Rachel McAdams into a scene that looks good and its a love scene rather than a sex scene...boooo!

Hmmm, I don't remember him attacked by a nail gun, maybe they got that part confused with him actually being the guy using the nail gun. Or maybe it's just part of his backstory?

It also sucked to see Woodrough get wacked, he kicked some serious ass there in the tunnels only to get shot in the back after escaping.

One thing that they did figure out is that Caspere's secretary was the little girl from the diamond shop, so who is the brother? I read that he might be the movie set photographer.

Yeah, thinking it's back story that we didn't get explicitly told about. "Nails" could refer to his preferred method of torture, but they didn't do a good job of establishing Stan or Nails.

As for Woodrugh, I was glad he got waxed. Went out in a noble way. Dude was mentally out of it, best way for him was to just get nixed. I was kinda hoping they would have taking some chances in offing their bigger characters earlier in the series (kinda like what they teased with Ray earlier in the series).

Meh. There better be a big %*^ twist ending for me to Rec this season to anyone. It's a been a by the numbers, dumbed down and straightline no twists or turns cops and gangsters storyline. And the Chips storyline?....what a waste of our times. That entire story could have been trimmed and meant nothing to the overall plot. Maybe if I was gay or if they'd made it more integral to the plot somehow I would have found it interesting, instead it was "let's throw this meaningless story about a closeted gay Chips cop onto a formulaic cops and gangsters story" and then come back for season 3.

Reactions: dmm5157
Meh. There better be a big %*^ twist ending for me to Rec this season to anyone. It's a been a by the numbers, dumbed down and straightline no twists or turns cops and gangsters storyline. And the Chips storyline?....what a waste of our times. That entire story could have been trimmed and meant nothing to the overall plot. Maybe if I was gay or if they'd made it more integral to the plot somehow I would have found it interesting, instead it was "let's throw this meaningless story about a closeted gay Chips cop onto a formulaic cops and gangsters story" and then come back for season 3.

I agree 100% on CHP cop. And the whole BS about the actress accusing him, with paparazzi tailing him and all this "heat". Seemed like a complete waste of time, none of that really was very convincing. So he had a messed up childhood and a knocked up girlfriend. Not sure why the blackmail material mattered at all. Ditto with the accusation of him soliciting sex from that actress. Also seemed like all his co-workers at CHP knew about his past, hence them laughing and making fun of him as he walked out of his meeting with his supervisor.

Season 2 overall suffered from too many characters, not enough time and not enough background info to understand what their motivations were.

Being confusing or vague just for the sake of it doesn't make the show great and that's one of my biggest gripe. The show so far as felt like Lorenzo Booker running a dozen jukes trying to fake out a LB, who just sat back and tackled him for no-gain. The story has had lots of intentional ambiguity in an effort to create mystery and suspense, only to come off feeling bumbling and contrived.

Definitely have not enjoyed this season as much last. The whole storyline has been sort of convoluted. Hopefully they will learn some lessons and come back strong next year.

I still don't know what the hell is going on

LOL> some guy stole a bunch of money and then got killed. Some people are trying to find it. Others are hoping they don't. Some dude's hot wife got raped when he was a young cop. The cop went and killed the guy who did it, but it was actually not the right guy. The cop feels bad about that and apparently can do epic amounts of drugs and booze and then bounce right back in about 30 minutes. He has a son who looks like Angus. Some chips cop hasn't gotten the message that being gay is pretty much completely accepted nowadays. He may have also been jamming his mom. He got whacked, but in a bad way.

Rachel McAdams looks really good with dark hair again, but apparently will not be getting naked. Her character was molested as a kid and now has a coping mechanism that involves some non traditional sexual behavior.

Reactions: ericram and dmm5157
LOL> some guy stole a bunch of money and then got killed. Some people are trying to find it. Others are hoping they don't. Some dude's hot wife got raped when he was a young cop. The cop went and killed the guy who did it, but it was actually not the right guy. The cop feels bad about that and apparently can do epic amounts of drugs and booze and then bounce right back in about 30 minutes. He has a son who looks like Angus. Some chips cop hasn't gotten the message that being gay is pretty much completely accepted nowadays. He may have also been jamming his mom. He got whacked, but in a bad way.

Rachel McAdams looks really good with dark hair again, but apparently will not be getting naked. Her character was molested as a kid and now has a coping mechanism that involves some non traditional sexual behavior.

SPOILER ALERT

GIF-Jaw-drop-Amazed-Amazing-Shocked-WTF-GIF.gif

I was thinking about Season 1 yesterday in comparison with season 2, and thought of one thing S1 has that S2 just can't emulate. That moment when they get back together ("current" timeline or whatever) to try to put the case to bed once and for all...that's pretty exhilarating. I think a lot of S1 kind of pales in retrospect, but that's great stuff. They just weren't able to right into anything like that in S2. I wonder if they thought that we'd all be hanging on whether Ray and Ani hooked up, and that was supposed to be that moment, but no way. The way it was written, with them almost hooking up, and then getting together, makes me think that they seriously miscalculated and thought we would care about that. I would have rather seen Ray hook up with the scarface waitress.

I don't care what anyone says, I like Vince Vaughn's character and performance a lot. It's silly and bonkers, and I've enjoyed it thoroughly.

I do agree that the time spent on the CHiPs angle was pretty extensive...I don't think the writer knows how to write tightly enough, and you can get away with that with McConahey and Harrelson. I powered through the first several episodes pretty quickly, so I didn't notice it as much, but agree that it was excessive. However, I don't have a problem with the actual storyline itself...I thought it was a pretty good way to show how a guy who was doing everything right, taking great pains to do everything by the book, nevertheless got himself bound up anyway. You've got a basically crooked cop, and you've got a cop that's basically emotionally and socially broken. So you come up with a way to tie in a straight (not so much) arrow in with them. I dig that angle.

But damn...what a backstory...
1) closeted gay
2) participated in war crimes in Iraq
3) knocked up girlfriend
4) crazy weirdo mother/upbringing

That's enough backstory for 2-3 characters at least. Somebody needed to edit.

I'll stick with my position that season 2 is decent and better than some give it credit for. I will agree though, that ultimately it doesn't really make me care much about what's going to happen and to whom. Maybe I'd like to see Frank come out ok. I think I did care about the characters in Season 1 quite a bit more.

Ok all you TV sleuths it is time to put all the cards on the table. Who killed Caspere and why? I have a theory working but want to watch the series again before the last episode to see if it makes sense.

Ok all you TV sleuths it is time to put all the cards on the table. Who killed Caspere and why? I have a theory working but want to watch the series again before the last episode to see if it makes sense.

Originally was thinking Burris was the trigger man and working some angle aside the rest of the working circle. Guessing he and Dixon were in cahoots without PD Captain knowing, since he mentioned they found the photos of Woodrugh after searching his apartment.

I think Laura (orphan girl from 1992 robbery) has to have some part in it, too, right? Not sure how she ties into the story.

Edited: Googled "True Detective Laura" and this came back. Possible spoilers,but they are just theories. Seems plausible, I guess. The timeliness and lack of additional progression after Caspere was killed and the hard drive recovered leaves much to be explained. For the life of me I cannot find rational for why they'd kill Caspere and get that hard drive then sit idle for 60 days with no additional movement. Caspere couldn't have been their only target. Why is it nothing has cropped up since 2 months has passed?

2nd edit: I see the actress that plays Erica Johnson (Caspere's assist) is only credited with 2 episodes according to IMDB. Her character is not slated to appear in finale.

Last edited:
I was thinking about Season 1 yesterday in comparison with season 2, and thought of one thing S1 has that S2 just can't emulate. That moment when they get back together ("current" timeline or whatever) to try to put the case to bed once and for all...that's pretty exhilarating. I think a lot of S1 kind of pales in retrospect, but that's great stuff. They just weren't able to right into anything like that in S2. I wonder if they thought that we'd all be hanging on whether Ray and Ani hooked up, and that was supposed to be that moment, but no way. The way it was written, with them almost hooking up, and then getting together, makes me think that they seriously miscalculated and thought we would care about that. I would have rather seen Ray hook up with the scarface waitress.

I don't care what anyone says, I like Vince Vaughn's character and performance a lot. It's silly and bonkers, and I've enjoyed it thoroughly.

I do agree that the time spent on the CHiPs angle was pretty extensive...I don't think the writer knows how to write tightly enough, and you can get away with that with McConahey and Harrelson. I powered through the first several episodes pretty quickly, so I didn't notice it as much, but agree that it was excessive. However, I don't have a problem with the actual storyline itself...I thought it was a pretty good way to show how a guy who was doing everything right, taking great pains to do everything by the book, nevertheless got himself bound up anyway. You've got a basically crooked cop, and you've got a cop that's basically emotionally and socially broken. So you come up with a way to tie in a straight (not so much) arrow in with them. I dig that angle.

But damn...what a backstory...
1) closeted gay
2) participated in war crimes in Iraq
3) knocked up girlfriend
4) crazy weirdo mother/upbringing

That's enough backstory for 2-3 characters at least. Somebody needed to edit.

I'll stick with my position that season 2 is decent and better than some give it credit for. I will agree though, that ultimately it doesn't really make me care much about what's going to happen and to whom. Maybe I'd like to see Frank come out ok. I think I did care about the characters in Season 1 quite a bit more.

I think you're 100% on point with the lack of editing. Basically, the first season was a huge hit so they gave the writer/producer 100% free reign...and he failed miserably to edit back his own ideas. Kind of like how GRRM Game of Thrones books keep getting more and more bloated each time one comes out. Sometimes you actually need one to say...that's a dumb idea. There were way too many plot threads to balance (especially in the useless Chips character, think about all 4 of the backstories you wrote out and basically his character is meaningless in the grand scheme of things) and tons of useless threads that are pure violations of Writing 101. Sure a couple of red herrings in dramas are a fine old convention, but don't add in a BUNCH of meaningless storylines that all come to basically nothing (unless there's some amazing twists in the finale, I'm holding out a little hope that I have to come back and eat crow, but I'm afraid the ending will either suck outright or else just show us that 90% of the season was a waste of time.

I do think this season's acting has been on par with season one (Chips excluded), so I don't blame the actors AT ALL. In fact, it's probably even more impressive of a performance to muck through this stupid plot. 100% of the blame for the poor season falls on the writer/producer and his failure to have No Ladies in addition to his Yes Men.

I am currently thinking it may be Elliot Bezzerides. It would not surprise me if Caspere is the man in the trailer that lured Ani in. Out of 5 of Elliot's children from that commune 2 committed suicide, 1 in jail the other in prostitution and Ani was severely scarred as well. Elliot's wife ended up committing suicide as well. We know there is a connection at Chessani lodge with the Doc who was studying communal living at that time and the mayor's father. The doc could have tipped off Elliot that Caspere was the same person in Ani's past. To me it seems they are focusing a lot on her past this late in the season, why?

The burning out of the eyes doesn't seem like something a mobster would fool with. It is personal, vindictive and possibly symbolic. The nagging question is what about Stan, one of Frank's henchmen, that ended up murdered in the same fashion as Caspere? Was he from the lodge too? Could Elliot be the birdman? Ray mentioned in the beginning that they were picked not to solve this case due to their baggage. Was Elliot leading Ray and the rest in an attempt to expose the entire town and state's corruption? Or is the corruption story line a smoke screen to throw us off track of who killed Caspere?

I am currently thinking it may be Elliot Bezzerides. It would not surprise me if Caspere is the man in the trailer that lured Ani in. Out of 5 of Elliot's children from that commune 2 committed suicide, 1 in jail the other in prostitution and Ani was severely scarred as well. Elliot's wife ended up committing suicide as well. We know there is a connection at Chessani lodge with the Doc who was studying communal living at that time and the mayor's father. The doc could have tipped off Elliot that Caspere was the same person in Ani's past. To me it seems they are focusing a lot on her past this late in the season, why?

The burning out of the eyes doesn't seem like something a mobster would fool with. It is personal, vindictive and possibly symbolic. The nagging question is what about Stan, one of Frank's henchmen, that ended up murdered in the same fashion as Caspere? Was he from the lodge too? Could Elliot be the birdman? Ray mentioned in the beginning that they were picked not to solve this case due to their baggage. Was Elliot leading Ray and the rest in an attempt to expose the entire town and state's corruption? Or is the corruption story line a smoke screen to throw us off track of who killed Caspere?

Interesting theory, as that guy is really tall (6'4").

For comparison's sake, I made a little side by side as best I could given the similar location from the scene where Ray gets shot.

Notice that doorway. I know they're not standing in the same spot, but the guy that shot Ray was huge. That was one reason why, early on, @Rhino_nole and I were remarking how tall Blake was, as he was nearly eye to eye with Frank (VV is 6'5"). Lt. Burris is played by James Frain, who is only around 6' tall. Farrell is 5'10". I could buy that the Birdman is around 6'4 to 6'6". Blake (Christopher Baker) is 6'2". Still not quite tall enough.

Interesting theory about Eliot Bezzerides, though.

rum9eq.jpg

I still don't know what the hell is going on

That's because 80% of the backstory is whispered once and relates to characters you never even see. If this happens during the many times you doze off during the show, you get lost.

If anyone else is like me, and only watches this show with like half their brain, this link was helpful in getting on track for the finale...

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat...ide_to_the_plot_of_this_confusing_season.html

It's a pretty good read, and just reading through it you realize how insane this whole thing is. It's a crazy amount of information to have supposedly gone through in just seven episodes, especially when it seemed like there was interminable amounts of time spent with Woodrugh and his girlfriend/mom/starlet accuser, Ray and his wife/dumb kid, Ani and her sister, Ray and his wife and not yet existent kids, etc. How could you have such stretches of "slow and boring", and then read through that massive data dump.

I don't doubt that Pizzolato is a kind of genius, reading through that gives me a fresh appreciation for simply creating and keeping straight an even semi-coherent story in all this. I just don't know that he's the artistic genius he thinks he is, but there is something impressive in all that.

He reminds me a bit of M. Night Shyamalan a bit. Someone of considerable talent that unfortunately isn't have the "once in a generation" auteur that they think they are based on everything coming together just right on their first project.

The father, leader of the hippie commune, secretly owns the right parcel of land to tie it altogether. Think about it...big guy who shoots someone with bean bags rather than bullets...just crazy enough to be true.

Last edited:
If anyone else is like me, and only watches this show with like half their brain, this link was helpful in getting on track for the finale...

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat...ide_to_the_plot_of_this_confusing_season.html

It's a pretty good read, and just reading through it you realize how insane this whole thing is. It's a crazy amount of information to have supposedly gone through in just seven episodes, especially when it seemed like there was interminable amounts of time spent with Woodrugh and his girlfriend/mom/starlet accuser, Ray and his wife/dumb kid, Ani and her sister, Ray and his wife and not yet existent kids, etc. How could you have such stretches of "slow and boring", and then read through that massive data dump.

Very good recap.

Already noticed one error, though. Katherine Davis (black lady that turned up dead from gunshot wound to check in the last episode) is not Bezzarides boss, but a state attorney. She worked for the Attorney General's office.

Bezzarides boss is the guy that came down on her after the sexual harrassment charges. If you recall, they were all in an office together when the special task force was being assembled and Katherine Davis suggested that Ani use being a woman and possibility of having sex with Ray to get close to him for dirt on Vinci.

Last edited:
images
This year's version is not nearly as interesting as S1, but its not bad either. Not sure who the killer may be but I think this guy is definitely in on it.[/QUOTE]

I thought Burris was involved early on since episode 3. Could he be the orphan brother from the 1992 jewel heist?

I thought Burris was involved early on since episode 3. Could he be the orphan brother from the 1992 jewel heist?

Burris was one of the officers listed for the LAPD police report from the robbery in 1992. Burris and Dixon both worked the case under Holloway, and Caspere was an auditor for LAPD at that time, I believe. That's how Burris is connected to the diamonds.

Taken from the link @Nole Lou posted above:

What does it mean that he was looking for them before they had known they were missing?

It means members of the Vinci police force knew Caspere had the diamonds all along.

How would they know that?

Because they were the ones that stole them, back in 1992. Woodrugh talked to the cop who had worked the initial blue diamond case and he explained that $2.5 million in blue diamonds were stolen by two masked men from a jewelry store in Hollywood in ’92, which coincided with the LA Riots. In Sunday night’s episode, Woodrugh confirmed, first by research and then by getting murdered, that the thieves were then LAPD officers Dixon and Kevin Burris (James Frain), who committed the crime with the knowledge of their then Chief, Chief Holloway, and their then precinct accountant Ben Caspere. After the robbery and the riots, all four men migrated from the LAPD to the Vinci PD, where they could continue to be corrupt, with much greater ease.

This season reminds me of season two of The Wire. The creator tried to go a different route, and while interesting, ends up not being as good as the first. Hopefully they recover in the third season and afterwards.

Originally was thinking Burris was the trigger man and working some angle aside the rest of the working circle. Guessing he and Dixon were in cahoots without PD Captain knowing, since he mentioned they found the photos of Woodrugh after searching his apartment.

I think Laura (orphan girl from 1992 robbery) has to have some part in it, too, right? Not sure how she ties into the story.

Edited: Googled "True Detective Laura" and this came back. Possible spoilers,but they are just theories. Seems plausible, I guess. The timeliness and lack of additional progression after Caspere was killed and the hard drive recovered leaves much to be explained. For the life of me I cannot find rational for why they'd kill Caspere and get that hard drive then sit idle for 60 days with no additional movement. Caspere couldn't have been their only target. Why is it nothing has cropped up since 2 months has passed?

2nd edit: I see the actress that plays Erica Johnson (Caspere's assist) is only credited with 2 episodes according to IMDB. Her character is not slated to appear in finale.

I agree that I believe Laura (or Erica) and/or her brother killed Caspere. I just rewatched the series last night. If we have seen the brother and using Season 1 as a template then the brother is most likely the kid from Little Big League. I'm guessing that maybe they were wanting the people involved with the coverup to suffer. Keep the harddrive so that those involved wouldnt go to prison. Eventually pick them off one by one like Caspere. Used the second house to lure Dixon or Burris. Realized it was Ray and not their target so they let him live and took the harddrive. It is weird that they would make a statement with Caspere then nothing for several months. Although, it has been years without doing anything before dropping Caspere.

Ty

I don't doubt that Pizzolato is a kind of genius, reading through that gives me a fresh appreciation for simply creating and keeping straight an even semi-coherent story in all this. I just don't know that he's the artistic genius he thinks he is, but there is something impressive in all that.

He reminds me a bit of M. Night Shyamalan a bit. Someone of considerable talent that unfortunately isn't have the "once in a generation" auteur that they think they are based on everything coming together just right on their first project.
Great link. Thanks for posting.

Haven't read the link, but does anyone think that VV's wife has a role in this, in any way? That would be a twist that no one has thought of.

Haven't read the link, but does anyone think that VV's wife has a role in this, in any way? That would be a twist that no one has thought of.

I think it's possible. She hasn't done anything to look like anything but faithful to him, but there's an awful lot of focus on her for not being relevant to the story. On the other hand, that could just be a ham-fisted attempt to try to counter criticism of S1's marginalization of female characters and Marty's wife in particular.

I'm going to guess she's not going to be player in the conspiracy. It doesn't seem like True Detective likes to throw those kind of twists...I think they put the answers out there, they just include them along with about eleventy billion other pieces of information. S1, and so far this year, the most prosaic explanations tend to be the answers.

Obviously Burris is a key player, and probably the grown daughter, although I'm a little more dubious than many on that one. Obviously, the show is ridiculous...but how exactly is that supposed to have worked...little girl's parents are killed. Somehow, she's able to conduct an investigation that leads to the culprits, and finagles her way into a job working for the AUDITOR of that little escapade, and he's the first (and only) on the hit list, rather than the gunmen?

I suppose they could come up with a scenario that she stumbled onto Caspere's role in her parents death by dumb luck (was she a sex worker that he hired to be his assistant?), and was working for him hoping to get to the trigger men.

In which case, I don't think she'd be the killer. Possibly Burris and/or Caspere's other compatriots in the jewelry store heist figured out what she was doing/investigating and that she was getting closer to them, and figured taking out Caspere was the best way to render that trail cold. All the money they made out of it was a bonus.

Ok, so going through that, maybe I'm tying that up into a theory.

So the Laura girl meets Caspere through the sex trade. She becomes aware of the blue diamonds that tie him to her parents' murder. Either she's already jumped from escort to employee, or she makes that jump on purpose to help figure out how he got the diamonds. She knows by the type of guy he is, he's not a trigger man.

Somehow, Caspere's jewel heist compatriots figure out who she is...maybe through the attempted blackmail by Tasha? Only suggesting that because the photos had a picture of Laura and of the diamonds.

So they decide he needs to go. Rather than killing her, they take him out. He's already causing issues with his sexual habits, and taking him out makes them money, and makes it easy to cut Frank out of the deal.

Maybe at the time they take him out, they don't know about hard drive at all. But once he's out of the picture, they realize they've got a big problem with this missing hard drive that compromises EVERYBODY, including potentially scotching the land deal because all of the players, including the Catalyst folks, are on it. There's personal embarrassment, but the presence of all of them gives way that this entire land deal is a total sham.

I don't fully have a theory for what went down at the house. I want to assume Burris is the Birdman, but then you have to assume he has the hard drive. And if he has it, Catalyst and the conspirators have it. It's possible Burris (maybe with the Mayor's son) is instead making his own play somehow by having the drive. But I tend to think if the conspirators are looking for it, then Burris doesn't have it.

So who has it? Laura and her brother. I'm going to say that the Birdman is the brother. Caspere was killed as Laura was getting closer to the truth about her parents' murder. His death makes him a dead end. But she knows about the house and the hard drive. Maybe there's even some talk about the jewel heist on the drive. So maybe they're staking out the house, figuring whoever shows up there looking for the drive would have to be a Caspere conspirator. Maybe Ray's total unfamiliarity with the house tells them he's not part of that conspiracy, he clearly doesn't know what he's looking for. But the brother has got to do something, because if he doesn't, Ray's going to walk out with the hard drive...and that's their bait. So he gets the non-lethal shot.

What is the brother doing with the riot shot? I don't know...is he a cop or cop adjacent? I'm not 100% sure what his plan was, hanging there with non-lethal ammo. Maybe he had two shotguns loaded. Maybe if Burris or another conspirator showed, they were going to knock him out with that like they did Ray and torture him, for info or otherwise. One way or another they realized Ray wasn't a guy they were looking for.

So the kids have the hard drive, everyone's looking for it, and the detectives are making problems for all the conspirators. I'm going to guess that the detectives get to Laura and the hard drive at the beginning of the episode. The kids are a key part, but not Caspere's murderers. Then it's about Ray and Ani trying to do something with the drive that clears their names, while Frank has the parallel story of trying to rip off the Russians and get the hell out. I'm going to guess that Ray and Ani bargain the drive with Catalyst for being cleared of their accusations, leaving them free, but a corrupt power structure still in place. I'm going to say that the Russians and a lot of the Vinci conspirators are taken out, but Catalyst remains in place, and new corrupt stooges take over in Vinci. So it's all mostly fruitless in the end.

How about the female bartender with the scar on her face. Was she one of the call girls from the past and did she get that from a plastic surgery gone bad from the Doc? Could she be involved in this or even one of the two children in the picture?

Reactions: runkpanole
I agree that I believe Laura (or Erica) and/or her brother killed Caspere. I just rewatched the series last night. If we have seen the brother and using Season 1 as a template then the brother is most likely the kid from Little Big League.

Haha, I thought that camera man looked familiar. Missed that he was the main kid in LITTLE BIG LEAGUE!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT