ADVERTISEMENT

True Detective starts tonight

Another finale theory I found

So this is my theory. I am just curious if anybody would be satisfied if this turned out to be the finale :

Ray & Ani hear about the death of Woodrugh. They decide their only shot is to chase down their one lead: Erica/Laura.

Frank & Nails sack up for the big McCandles heist at Crystal Ranch that evening, collecting their new hardware.

Ray & Ani meet Erica. She reveals that she and her brother killed Caspere as revenge for their orphan status, and they still have the hard drive with the corruption evidence on all the Vinci officials as a safeguard.

Together with the contracts, Ani & Ray now have enough evidence to bring down the Vinci power structure by taking it to the FBI. As they set out for a trip to the feds, Ani receives a text photo from Athena. It's a photo of her partner, Elvis, dead - with Athena & her Dad nearby, about to be executed. They are ordered to a meeting point deep within the contaminated land, & to bring the contracts with them. Ani feels they have no choice, and they set off.

In an action-heavy set-piece, Frank & Nails' heist is successful. Frank kills Osip, and takes the £12m. He successfully converts the money into £7m worth of diamonds, & they race to meet Jordan at the safehouse to leave for Venezuela.

Ani & Velcoro arrive deep in the contaminated land, among giant trees, and come to Chessani's lodge, the HQ of the family cult. In another action-heavy scene, Ani & Velcoro manage to evade their execution. Split up, Ani encounters the 90 year old Chessani Sr, who she recognised as her molesterer, and stabs him to death. Ray executes Lt Burris, drawing fire, & sets a decoy to allow Ani to escape with her family, the contracts, & the hard drive. Ray is not so lucky though, and is shot to pieces when he steps out the trees, just as his father prophesized in purgatory.

Nails and Frank meet with Jordon at the safehouse to leave for Venezuela. It is revealed that the second fake passport is not in Jordon's name, but in Nails'. It is revealed that Frank knows Jordon assisted Osip & Blake in their takeover, constantly advising him to back out of the game, & that she purposefully sabotaged their pregnancy attempts. He executes her, and he & Nails leave for the airport.

Ani meets with the FBI, tells them her story, complete with the contracts and the hard drive. The FBI arrest the surviving members of the Vinci power structure.

Ani meets with Velcoro's family at Ray's funeral, and tells his son his father saved her life, & that he is a hero. It is also revealed that Ray's paternity test was positive, and he is Chad's father. Velcoro Senior attends Ray's funeral wearing full police regalia (just as he does in the purgatory sequence), ending his own life soon after, meeting his son in purgatory; both wearing the clothes they died in.

Chad cherishes his father's memory through his grandfather's badge. Which he uses as a bookend for his Friends dvds. And Cheetos. And pizza boxes. K.

Chad walks to school, clutching the badge. Head up. Strong.

Fade out.

Another finale theory I found

So this is my theory. I am just curious if anybody would be satisfied if this turned out to be the finale :

Ray & Ani hear about the death of Woodrugh. They decide their only shot is to chase down their one lead: Erica/Laura.

Frank & Nails sack up for the big McCandles heist at Crystal Ranch that evening, collecting their new hardware.

Ray & Ani meet Erica. She reveals that she and her brother killed Caspere as revenge for their orphan status, and they still have the hard drive with the corruption evidence on all the Vinci officials as a safeguard.

Together with the contracts, Ani & Ray now have enough evidence to bring down the Vinci power structure by taking it to the FBI. As they set out for a trip to the feds, Ani receives a text photo from Athena. It's a photo of her partner, Elvis, dead - with Athena & her Dad nearby, about to be executed. They are ordered to a meeting point deep within the contaminated land, & to bring the contracts with them. Ani feels they have no choice, and they set off.

In an action-heavy set-piece, Frank & Nails' heist is successful. Frank kills Osip, and takes the £12m. He successfully converts the money into £7m worth of diamonds, & they race to meet Jordan at the safehouse to leave for Venezuela.

Ani & Velcoro arrive deep in the contaminated land, among giant trees, and come to Chessani's lodge, the HQ of the family cult. In another action-heavy scene, Ani & Velcoro manage to evade their execution. Split up, Ani encounters the 90 year old Chessani Sr, who she recognised as her molesterer, and stabs him to death. Ray executes Lt Burris, drawing fire, & sets a decoy to allow Ani to escape with her family, the contracts, & the hard drive. Ray is not so lucky though, and is shot to pieces when he steps out the trees, just as his father prophesized in purgatory.

Nails and Frank meet with Jordon at the safehouse to leave for Venezuela. It is revealed that the second fake passport is not in Jordon's name, but in Nails'. It is revealed that Frank knows Jordon assisted Osip & Blake in their takeover, constantly advising him to back out of the game, & that she purposefully sabotaged their pregnancy attempts. He executes her, and he & Nails leave for the airport.

Ani meets with the FBI, tells them her story, complete with the contracts and the hard drive. The FBI arrest the surviving members of the Vinci power structure.

Ani meets with Velcoro's family at Ray's funeral, and tells his son his father saved her life, & that he is a hero. It is also revealed that Ray's paternity test was positive, and he is Chad's father. Velcoro Senior attends Ray's funeral wearing full police regalia (just as he does in the purgatory sequence), ending his own life soon after, meeting his son in purgatory; both wearing the clothes they died in.

Chad cherishes his father's memory through his grandfather's badge. Which he uses as a bookend for his Friends dvds. And Cheetos. And pizza boxes. K.

Chad walks to school, clutching the badge. Head up. Strong.

Fade out.

That's probably a better theory than what will actually unfold.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
That's probably a better theory than what will actually unfold.

Yup.

I'm afraid it's going to suck. Hopefully I can eat some crow as the end will be good and that I didn't waste my time watching this season. (Although again, no issue with the acting, it's as well acted and directed as you can get given the by the numbers and uninteresting plot.)

Last edited:
Reactions: dmm5157
Yup.

I'm afraid it's going to suck. Hopefully I can eat some crow and it's end that I didn't waste my time watching this season. (Although again, no issue with the acting, it's as well acted and directed as you can get given the by the numbers and uninteresting plot.)

Knock on wood...hopefully the upcoming season of Fargo will be amazing and not a Waste of time like this season of TD was. Both were my favorite shows last year and now...I'm nervous for Fargo.

So far it's following the expected storyline, but nails isn't the other guy helping Frank with the Osip job.

I'll have to rewatch the first half again, as CC wasn't working for me tonight.

Did they still not answer why things stagnated for 66 days after Caspere was killed? Or why Leonard waiting for Ray to go into Caspere's sex house when they obviously already knew about that place

Those are two glaring issues I had with the finale and overall story. But not a terrible finale. Give it a B for overall effectiveness and tension.

Guess at this point spoiler alert is moot.

Most of the "surprise" moments were not that surprising.

I asked my wife why Frank blew up the clubs during last week's episodes, as the Mexicans in the show seemed hell bent on deals.

As for the paternity test, that seemed like a pointless ending with that. They played up the whole season that Ray (edited) would actually be the true father since they kept harping on his fear of the paternity test.

The story was still very loose and careless towards the end, but the finale was effective in Frank and Ray's endings. I know I hated seeing them both go.

Almost forgot about the twisted ending of Caspere being Leonard and Laura's biological father. Pretty effed up considering what he did with Laura.

Last edited:
I haven't yelled at a tv since last year's Rose Bowl game, but when Ray got into the car I was yelling "don't get in the car just walk away you friggin dumbass!"

"Oh baby this is beautiful. We got a chandelier hanging up here, kids outside playing. It's a beautiful neighborhood. We ain't got nothing to worry, I really love it this is really nice."

"GET OUT!"

"Too bad we can't stay, baby."

Very frustrating season and very as expected finale. I want my money back, maybe HBO will send it to me if I ask politely. ;P

I didn't think it was a bad season at all. Not as good as Season 1, but I also think some people overrate Season 1 because of how different it was and how good MM and WH were.

The part I have a problem is I want to know what happened after Ani gave all the information to the newspaper. Because I don't know it feels like Ray, Frank, and Woodrough's deaths were for nothing.

Did the two cake shop guys tip off the Mexicans and the Vinci guys about the cars and that's how trackers were put on them?

Also, why even go to the cars that were provided? Why not use them as a Decoy and have Nails buy some cars off of Craigslist for straight up cash?

I also didn't like the fact that Pizzolato just couldn't let the message from Velcoro get through to his son. I get the sense that Pizzolato just hates his characters at all times.

The part I have a problem is I want to know what happened after Ani gave all the information to the newspaper. Because I don't know it feels like Ray, Frank, and Woodrough's deaths were for nothing.

Did the two cake shop guys tip off the Mexicans and the Vinci guys about the cars and that's how trackers were put on them?

Also, why even go to the cars that were provided? Why not use them as a Decoy and have Nails buy some cars off of Craigslist for straight up cash?

I also didn't like the fact that Pizzolato just couldn't let the message from Velcoro get through to his son. I get the sense that Pizzolato just hates his characters at all times.

I agree with all this. It was carelessness and a plot mechanism that each character would be so careless and trusting.

I also didn't like that they just exposed Nails' back story. I previously posted it from his bio, would have been better to have spent a little time explaining that sooner.

Wasn't expecting much from the finale but even I was disappointed in that ending. My feeling about the episode was that the creator of the show was playing a game with us. Like he said to himself in the first 45 mins the characters are only allowed to speak in bad cliches/short declarative sentences and in the second 45 mins let just come up with every bad outcome and make it happen. I really think it would have been better to have condensed the story into 4 episodes and then follow the girls and the baby working together in the next 4 episodes. Their "adventures" abroad seems like a show I'd watch.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
I didn't think it was a bad season at all. Not as good as Season 1, but I also think some people overrate Season 1 because of how different it was and how good MM and WH were.

Why do you keep saying this?

Season 1 wasn't overrated, it was just great TV. Literally every aspect of cinema was top tier on S1.

Reactions: NolaNole9
Why do you keep saying this?

Season 1 wasn't overrated, it was just great TV. Literally every aspect of cinema was top tier on S1.

That's really not that much of a uniquely held position. A lot of people felt it was at least a little overrated. Not that it wasn't good...but that it wasn't GREAT. Your position that every aspect of it was top tier is very far from universal.

As for this finale...meh. It's one thing for the main characters to die...but the way it went down, was kind of stupid to me. Frank was killed by almost a reverse deux ex machina...not totally random, but also kind of out of left field. Not that much different than just having him get hit by a bus, or have a heart attack.

And for Ray to go down going to see his son, and just basically suicide it...ridiculously melodramatic.

Overall, it didn't really deliver on the promise of the last couple episodes that kind of pulled it out of the mess that it was.

I'd say it was just good enough for me to give a Season 3 a try...but it was not good enough that I'll stick through a Season 3 if, like this season, I'm not really feeling it after a couple episodes. With so much great TV, while I don't think it was terrible, it probably wasn't worth my time ultimately. Season 1, if you think it was great or if you think it was just pretty decent, was definitely worth having watched.

That's really not that much of a uniquely held position. A lot of people felt it was at least a little overrated. Not that it wasn't good...but that it wasn't GREAT. Your position that every aspect of it was top tier is very far from universal.

As for this finale...meh. It's one thing for the main characters to die...but the way it went down, was kind of stupid to me. Frank was killed by almost a reverse deux ex machina...not totally random, but also kind of out of left field. Not that much different than just having him get hit by a bus, or have a heart attack.

And for Ray to go down going to see his son, and just basically suicide it...ridiculously melodramatic.

Overall, it didn't really deliver on the promise of the last couple episodes that kind of pulled it out of the mess that it was.

I'd say it was just good enough for me to give a Season 3 a try...but it was not good enough that I'll stick through a Season 3 if, like this season, I'm not really feeling it after a couple episodes. With so much great TV, while I don't think it was terrible, it probably wasn't worth my time ultimately. Season 1, if you think it was great or if you think it was just pretty decent, was definitely worth having watched.

It's more universally held that S1 was top tier than it is somehow overrated.

The only people I hear say it's overrated are contrarians and hipsters who in one breath say "S1 or True Detectives is overrated and S2 isn't that bad, it's actually pretty good."

I think Season1 was overrated and season 2 underrated. S1 was still great tv, but not top tier, their were some eye rolling moments for sure. Season 2 had some great action scenes and tense moments, but a lot of fluff and plodding intricacies, that lost or bored some viewers, but to say it sucked or was garbage is far from the truth. . They were both better than most of what's on tv and one of the few tv shows I watch. Will watch season 3.

The only people I hear say it's overrated are contrarians and hipsters who in one breath say "S1 or True Detectives is overrated and S2 isn't that bad, it's actually pretty good."

Well that's exactly how I feel. To me top tier, in relation to HBO/Showtime, is along the lines of Band of Brothers, Sopranos, The Wire, and Game of Thrones. The next tier absolutely kicks ass and is great tv, but should not be held in the same regard, ie, True Detective, Homeland, Deadwood, Dexter etc.

Well that's exactly how I feel. To me top tier, in relation to HBO/Showtime, is along the lines of Band of Brothers, Sopranos, The Wire, and Game of Thrones. The next tier absolutely kicks ass and is great tv, but should not be held in the same regard, ie, True Detective, Homeland, Deadwood, Dexter etc.

Game of Thrones is alright but I don't think it's on the same level as True Detectives S1 but then again, I'm a book reader of GoT. I put True Detectives in that top tier w/ Band of Brothers and The Wire.

I also find S2 of TD to be good but the two comments don't need to go hand and hand. S1 is so much better than S2 but S2 is solid TV (in comparison to other TV out there).

I think Season1 was overrated and season 2 underrated. S1 was still great tv, but not top tier, their were some eye rolling moments for sure. Season 2 had some great action scenes and tense moments, but a lot of fluff and plodding intricacies, that lost or bored some viewers, but to say it sucked or was garbage is far from the truth. . They were both better than most of what's on tv and one of the few tv shows I watch. Will watch season 3.

There were two moments in TV that made my jaw drop - Band of Brothers when Major Winters (not a Major yet) ran through the trenches and takes out the German weapon emplacements (I don't recall but it appeared to be a long sustained single shot) and in True Detectives S1 during the assault on the projects w/ Rust undercover and having to shoot his way out (that doesn't even include the other fantastic moments in the show).

There were two moments in TV that made my jaw drop - Band of Brothers when Major Winters (not a Major yet) ran through the trenches and takes out the German weapon emplacements (I don't recall but it appeared to be a long sustained single shot) and in True Detectives S1 during the assault on the projects w/ Rust undercover and having to shoot his way out (that doesn't even include the other fantastic moments in the show).

That episode (where Rust and the bikers rob that house in the projects) was incredible. Fantastic editing, truly underappreciated.

The thing that I get hung up on in Season 2 is that Complicated =/= Great story telling. Being complicated just for the sake of it is lazy writing. Even worse, a lot of effort wasn't given to explaining things in an organic matter. Instead, it felt like your typical action movie where characters spell things out to explain the plot.

I gave some thought of making a fan re-cut of Season 2, cutting out the extraneous crap about CHiP and the extra stuff about Ray's kid. I truly wish the show had started with less characters and spent more time exploring those existing characters.

Would have also been nice if the female characters were not cliched, but this season was definitely better in that regard than last season.

Meh, could have done the whole season in just a couple of hours. 8.5 hours over the top.

Yep, could have been done much less than 8 episodes. Would have been nice to have a more focused effort with less characters and more time given to each character. Such a waste, really.

Sounds like you need to watch Daredevil and ESPECIALLY Banshee. There are a TON of great fight sequences in both but especially Banshee that puts the action in Season Two of True Detective to shame. Seriously, pick any random three episodes of Banshee that are connected and you would have a five star action movie. Plus, there were some great scenes in Spartacus after the first couple of episodes (apparently the owners of Starz watched the first couple of episodes, said wow that was good but it could be GREAT and threw in a ton of extra money for FX later in the season). But the prequel season and the first season after the first two or three episodes were some of the best movie quality action pieces ever shown on television.

But seriously...watch Banshee.

I know you can be overwhelmed, and I know you can be underwhelmed, but can you ever just be whelmed? If so that is about how I feel about the finale. I thought that the season built up well enough, considering its a separate universe from TD S1. Divorcing those two in my mind makes it easier to stick with and swallow S2. Some seriously WTF moments in this season and while I would have liked to see either of Frank or Ray make it, I understand the "drama" it creates by their ending. Really though, was Frank's ego that big that his suit cost him his life?

Yep, could have been done much less than 8 episodes. Would have been nice to have a more focused effort with less characters and more time given to each character. Such a waste, really.

There were entire plot threads that meant nothing in the grand scheme. The whole CHiPS character and threadline? Useless. The backstory about Ani with her crazy hippie dippie father, crackwhore sister and own sex fetishes destroying her personal life? Dropped to turn her into a typical "modern" damsel in distress but one who secretly kicks butt....then in the end needs to be saved by a dude. The backstory about how Velcoro got involved with the mob because he accidentally killed the wrong person and then promises to come back to kill the original rapist AND the person who made him kill the wrong person? Immediately dropped and forgotten about entirely except for the alleged improper snitch where it was resolved via an offhand remark by Frank that took 10 seconds "Oh yeah, I took care of that for you." Tada, hours of story resolved, "I took care of that for you". Well okay then, why did we watch Velcoro spend the whole (*&)% season whining about it with his wife?

Like I said early, talk about a poorly written plot with unfulfilling resolutions.

Reactions: ericram and dmm5157
If people are complaining that it wasn't top tier TV (The Wire, The Sopranos, etc.) then what currently on right now is top tier TV?

Season 2 of Power has been good. Mr. Robot has been good. Not The Wire/Sopranos level though. That is why they were top tier. Can't think of anything else off the top of my head really.

I don't care for the "reality" products and we're not talking about sports or news. The "waste my time" comment just peeked my curiosity as I can't think of any must watch programming this summer.

I know you can be overwhelmed, and I know you can be underwhelmed, but can you ever just be whelmed? If so that is about how I feel about the finale. I thought that the season built up well enough, considering its a separate universe from TD S1. Divorcing those two in my mind makes it easier to stick with and swallow S2. Some seriously WTF moments in this season and while I would have liked to see either of Frank or Ray make it, I understand the "drama" it creates by their ending. Really though, was Frank's ego that big that his suit cost him his life?

My thought about Frank's suit was that the Mexicans had dug his grave and were planning on killing him but the guy wanted it before it got bloodied. When Frank punched him, things changed and it didn't matter anymore.

Then again, it did appear they were going to just leave him in the desert stranded until Frank made the comment about a ride back into town.

Kinda stupid that they wouldn't have just shot him as soon as they had his money. he didn't have to "give it to them", it was already theirs the minute they kidnapped him.

I think it was implied he had the $3.5 million nest egg of diamonds hidden in the suit, but I could be wrong. Trust me, I hated the ending and the whole season really, but that wasn't botched unless it wasn't more noticeable to other people. Basically, he MIGHT have gotten out alive but his pride AND nest egg aka everything he had worked decades for would be taken from him. Should have hidden the diamonds in his socks.

If people are complaining that it wasn't top tier TV (The Wire, The Sopranos, etc.) then what currently on right now is top tier TV?

Season 2 of Power has been good. Mr. Robot has been good. Not The Wire/Sopranos level though. That is why they were top tier. Can't think of anything else off the top of my head really.

I don't care for the "reality" products and we're not talking about sports or news. The "waste my time" comment just peeked my curiosity as I can't think of any must watch programming this summer.

For Dramas it's Bashee, last season of Fargo (I hope there's not a curse of Season Two afflicting my shows ala TD), Daredevil, Game of Thrones, the Strain, Walking Dead, the Americans, Hannibal (even though it's been cancelled as too artistic for the gore hounds and too gory for the hipsters), Vikings, and Tyrant (kind of a reverse TD, with the first season underwhelming and the second really great). There's a lot of shows I liked better than True Detective Season 2 that aren't quite up to the quality of those I mentioned (like Turn, Outlander, Orphan Black, Agents of Shield, Black Sails, Penny Dreadful, etc...).

Sounds like you need to watch Daredevil and ESPECIALLY Banshee. There are a TON of great fight sequences in both but especially Banshee that puts the action in Season Two of True Detective to shame. Seriously, pick any random three episodes of Banshee that are connected and you would have a five star action movie. Plus, there were some great scenes in Spartacus after the first couple of episodes (apparently the owners of Starz watched the first couple of episodes, said wow that was good but it could be GREAT and threw in a ton of extra money for FX later in the season). But the prequel season and the first season after the first two or three episodes were some of the best movie quality action pieces ever shown on television.

But seriously...watch Banshee.

I've seen Daredevil, great show but it's not up there w/ The Wire and True Detectives S1 or Band of Brothers.

I've seen Daredevil, great show but it's not up there w/ The Wire and True Detectives S1 or Band of Brothers.

Depends on your tastes. It's hands down the best comic book show that has ever aired. So right now it's the gold standard for that genre. Band of Brothers was apparently a very lucky one off as the Pacific was nowhere near as good. Seriously, try Banshee. Critics sometimes give it heat because it has full nudity and sex scenes, but the acting is WAY up there, the plots actually make sense and are very tightly followed and more importantly...the best action sequences you will see anywhere. Just this past season there were at least four jawdropping wow action sequences that had my wife and I pumped.

I looked around trying to find a Banshee action sequence to post to show the people who know nothing about it, but almost all are integral to the plot. This is pretty much the only sequence I could show that would NOT spoil it as while both of these were great characters they were only side characters not in the main plot directly. Having said that if squeamish or wanting to avoid all spoilers don't click on it.

Cut here and add www. to it (it won't embed as the owner doesn't give "permission" for embeds).

youtube.com/watch?v=p1veh-SGma0

Last edited:
Besides, I wasn't necessarily saying Daredevil was the best thing that ever existed merely MUCH better than TD Season 2.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT