ADVERTISEMENT

USMNT roster for Mexico and Costa Rica games to start The Hex

fsUTampa

Star Player
May 31, 2003
First of all, screw Friday college football games. FSU plays BC at 7:30pm on Friday (WTF?!) and the USMNT/Mexico game is at 7:45pm. Not cool.

In any case, here's Jurgen's call-ups for by far the most important games of the Hex (vs the top 2 teams in CONCACAF)

Goalkeepers (4): Brad Guzan (Middlesbrough), Ethan Horvath (Molde), Tim Howard (Colorado Rapids), William Yarbrough (Club Leon)

Defenders (9): Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Steve Birnbaum (D.C. United), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Cameron Carter-Vickers (Tottenham Hotspur), Timmy Chandler (Eintracht Frankfurt), Omar Gonzalez (Pachuca),Fabian Johnson (Borussia Monchengladbach), Michael Orozco (Club Tijuana), DeAndre Yedlin (Newcastle United)

Midfielders (9): Alejandro Bedoya (Philadelphia Union), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Lynden Gooch (Sunderland), Julian Green (Bayern Munich), Jermaine Jones (Colorado Rapids), Sacha Kljestan (New York Red Bulls), Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund), Caleb Stanko (FC Vaduz), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

Forwards (4): Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC), Aron Johannsson (Werder Bremen), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC), Bobby Wood (Hamburg)

My guess for the starting 11 against Mexico....

Howard
Johnson/Brooks/Besler/Yedlin
Bedoya/Bradley/Jones/Pulisic
Altidore/Wood

Going by Jurgen's tendencies. I'm surprised Cameron wasn't called up, as he was working very well with Brooks at the CB positions. I'd rather Birnbaum ahead of Besler, but Jurgen doesn't seem to think so. I wouldn't be shocked if we see Yedlin and/or Johnson at the outside mid positions rather than outside back, but given who else is called up, not sure who would play there (and be comfortable against Mexico's speed) otherwise. And why the hell is Timmy Chandler still allowed to be on this team? I hate the idea that he called up Jermaine Jones, because that means he intends to play him, and I think Jones is severely overrated (and too old now). Same with Bedoya. Would rather see Kljestan in the middle and Green on the outside. I like all 4 strikers, just guessing these 2 will be the 2 that start.

My son are going down to Tallahassee for the football game and I'd rather stay home and watch the soccer match. We don't get to go to many FSU football games because of weekend activities and of course one we get to go I'd rather watch the USMNT.

Howard is in the MLS conference finals now. Not sure he'll be available at all.

Next rd of MLS playoff matches aren't until 11/20, so Howard should be available, and should be the starter given his current form and the other 3 keepers on the current roster.

i really like Fabian Johnson. Got to see him play in Chicago this summer. Not sure if it was because Costa Rica's starting left back was about, but Johnson is a defender who could really move the ball up and create and attack. The one thing you can't appreciate on TV is the how the angles open in the transition game, especially when a team like the U.S. is playing for a counterattack.

I agree about which game matters more to me. I'll probably pick the soccer match and follow the FSU game on a second screen.

I agree about which game matters more to me. I'll probably pick the soccer match and follow the FSU game on a second screen.
Yep, I'll probably flip back and forth and will get frustrated by the amount of commercial breaks during the football game.

Yeah, was bummed when I found out the two games were at the same time. I went to the qualifying match in Jacksonville on Sept 6th. Decided I'm going to wear that same USA themed outfit to the FSU game since its military appreciation/veterans day.

I'm super bummed that the games are overlapping. That said, I'll probably watch the soccer match in my bedroom with the volume down while the rest of the family watches the football game in the living room with the volume on, so I can run out and see any big plays that Dalvin or Deondre make.

C'mon Dos a Cero!

Reactions: seminoleed
I'm super bummed that the games are overlapping. That said, I'll probably watch the soccer match in my bedroom with the volume down while the rest of the family watches the football game in the living room with the volume on, so I can run out and see any big plays that Dalvin or Deondre make.

C'mon Dos a Cero!

The benefit of watching FSU is that you can skip the first half and the frustration from watching the team fall 2 TDs behind.

US pretty much dominated the second half of the game, and then plays piss poor D to give up a goal on a corner in the 89th. No excuse for that.

I really love soccer but find it so hard to watch the national team play.
I did the opposite of most, watched FSU and flipped to soccer on commercials.

Michael Bradley's USMNT career should be done. We win that match with even a semi-competent CM. Instead, Bradley gives up a goal, and wastes literally 100% of his passes in the attacking 3rd, not to mention some really bad turnovers on the defensive end.

Pulisic basically made up for Bradley's ineptitude, but it wasn't enough.

And WTF was Timmy Chandler doing all game? Dude shouldn't be on the team much less the field, and sure enough proved that last night. How is he constantly allowed to be a part of the USMNT? Him and Bradley were significantly worse than the other 26 players that saw the field last night.

Yeah I feel like I'm a pretty uneducated fan, but Bradley stands out in a bad way. I assume he must do good things for Toronto FC but last night looked like a continuation of the 2014 World Cup, where he just passes the ball straight to the opponent.

I hear you guys on Bradley but do we have any legitimate options? Youth academies in the US seem to be terrible at teaching mid field or creative forward play. Nobody seems to have a decent first touch.

I hear you guys on Bradley but do we have any legitimate options? Youth academies in the US seem to be terrible at teaching mid field or creative forward play. Nobody seems to have a decent first touch.

We know what we have with Bradley. It can't be any worse with the youngsters, so why not give them the reigns now?

Reactions: Lemon Thrower
I'm 100% on the Fire Jurgen bandwagon now. Of all the people on the field, his first sub (at 2-0) is Pulisic?! Literally one of only two players (Wood being the other) that showed any kind of care/desire/skill/ability? The hell with Jurgen now. This is embarrassing. Bradley...awful. Chandler...awful. Jones...awful. Brooks...is he paying off a bookie? Gonzalez...stoned? Jurgen...hates America.

One of the worst losses in USMNT history.

No way to sugar coat it or explain it away.

Strange too after the excellent 2nd half we put up against Mexico. Doesn't add up that these are the same players from both matches.

I'm not a Jurgen apologist, but I blame the players more than him. These are many of the same players who got out of the group of death at the 2014 WC and heroically (largely due to Tim Howard) took Belgium to the brink of elimination in the Round of 16.

I'm 100% on the Fire Jurgen bandwagon now. Of all the people on the field, his first sub (at 2-0) is Pulisic?! Literally one of only two players (Wood being the other) that showed any kind of care/desire/skill/ability? The hell with Jurgen now. This is embarrassing. Bradley...awful. Chandler...awful. Jones...awful. Brooks...is he paying off a bookie? Gonzalez...stoned? Jurgen...hates America.

This

Is there any chance he will be fired before the matches in March? Sunil Gulati has continued to put his faith in JK.... any thoughts? I'm concerned about not making Russia in '18

Still plenty of time to qualify for 2018. Article I read this morning reminded me that as bad as it looks now, Mexico qualified for 2014 with only 11 points and winning all of two games.

If US Soccer is going to make changes, now is the time to do it. Bring in another coach that will have a few months to evaluate the players and put his system in place prior to those March qualifiers. Curious that if the US does fire JK, who are the best and most realistic candidates they should try to bring in?

some think he will be fired before the end of the week.

the fools at US Soccer also put him in charge of the youth development program, which has been an even greater disaster.

Big Soccer, which is a very large soccer community, is beating the heck out of JK...

we have allowed more goals than any other team in the Hex, and are in last place by goal differential.

the only bright news is 4 games remain and the next matches are not until March.

we have allowed more goals than any other team in the Hex, and are in last place by goal differential.

the only bright news is 4 games remain and the next matches are not until March.

8 games remain and these were two of the three hardest games to start the hex. Nevertheless, Klinsman needs to go. This seems like the time to move on this since they have the long break until the next games.

The bright news is Chandler and Jones can't play in the next match due to cards (shocker...), so that might force Jurgen's hand to not bring them up for the March matches at all, leaving 2 matches with better talent on the field.

Saw a report that USSF has already reached out to Arena as a replacement for the March matches and if it happens, it will be this week to go ahead and begin prep.

Reactions: GwinnettNole
Saw a report that USSF has already reached out to Arena as a replacement for the March matches and if it happens, it will be this week to go ahead and begin prep.

Is this similar to the same reporters that say Jimbo is gone to LSU?

If Klinsmann is fired and Arena, or another coach, is hired then can he make any roster changes or is the current roster locked in? Curious if Donovan would want to come back.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT