ADVERTISEMENT

We are headed for one hell of a crash

I listen to a lot of Dave Ramsey. And I’ve heard that same stat. But I believe it’s actually 1k that can’t come up with!

that’s insane that you don’t have an extra 1K just laying around in case of an emergency.

but like you said. Everyone is so maxed out on everything. Huge mortgages. His and hers new cars with outrageous payments. Credit card debt. Maybe a boat or motorcycle. Country club memberships, gym memberships.. etc etc.
People will eventually pay the piper.

That is largely to do with the renter eviction ban policy. It’s set to expire at the end of June but no doubt the manic money printer will come to the rescue.

yeah but you can only kick the can so far down the street before it’s time to pay the piper, right?

at some point, no pun intended, but rent is gonna be due..

Unless they are kicking it far enough down the street that people are all back to work and mostly caught up on bills

Reactions: goldmom
That is largely to do with the renter eviction ban policy. It’s set to expire at the end of June but no doubt the manic money printer will come to the rescue.
It's also true for utility payments. They have been delayed, not forgiven. Yet.

In the SE, it's not a supply issue for wood. It's a production issue. Can't manufacture the wood because many sawmills shut down. You can't just restart them in minutes. Demand caught everyone by surprise and now we're dealing with the effects of the closings. Plenty of supply in our region. Hence why the logger isn't gaining and the mfg is.

yeah but you can only kick the can so far down the street before it’s time to pay the piper, right?

Unless they are kicking it far enough down the street that people are all back to work and mostly caught up on bills
Yeah, but unfortunately, when they have to pay rent again they will just move out and all the landlord is left the security deposit. Been there.
All this policy has done is screw folks that have a rental home.

My son has a new neighbor who is two years from retirement as an NYC detective. He sold his house in (I think) Queens and bought a home in my sons neighborhood and moved his family down. He's renting a room from his brother in NY for the next 18 months but his wife and kids are already in FL and in school. Sold his house for $600K and bought in St. John's County for $425K. He commutes down to Fl every other weekend.
I think NY has lots of folks either doing something similar or at least thinking about it.
Swell. More retired New Yorkers in Florida. They bring here the same insanity they claim they are trying to get away from. 😀

Yeah, but unfortunately, when they have to pay rent again they will just move out and all the landlord is left the security deposit. Been there.
All this policy has done is screw folks that have a rental home.
This is the nightmare no one realizes... the trickle down this causes is unreal. It's similar to debt forgiveness of all kind. Who's going to pay for it? The middle class which is not going to see a pay raise from a $15 minimum wage or any kind of progressive ideology.

We're heading to weird times and the lunatics want to tax people to a point where half if not more of the country will gross the same income after taxes. What's the point of making $120k a year when the final amount earned is that of a cashier at Wal-Mart?

Last edited:
Swell. More retired New Yorkers in Florida. They bring here the same insanity they claim they are trying to get away from. 😀
I wouldn't say that. The new blue state isn't the same it was 20 years ago. Bill Maher is starting to look left of center which is scary. We are in weird time and hopefully we evolve into a true Republic as intended. State rights have been increasingly growing stronger and stronger the past couple years which is how it should have been for a long time.

Ya... it manipulates everything. I'll argue the world is the same as it always has been, we just learn about stuff instantly instead of weeks or months later.
That and certain people are just obsessed with being outraged about anything and everything. That mindset and manipulative media is the perfect storm to infect the masses that are just too lazy to verify anything that they hear for themselves, or just don’t want to diminish the narrative they have attached themselves to.

That and certain people are just obsessed with being outraged about anything and everything. That mindset and manipulative media is the perfect storm to infect the masses that are just too lazy to verify anything that they hear for themselves, or just don’t want to diminish the narrative they have attached themselves to.
Exactly... they want to feel important so they scream real loud through their twitter feed

Reactions: evgoodwin
Gold is a good hedge against inflation that is basically here...the US dollar will tank as inflation fears/reality set in.
Not likely. Everyone has been talking about inflation risk all year. Yet, the price of gold has fallen. Think about that....
Further, it would be hard for the dollar to "tank" if the fed is raising rates to fight inflation.

I like treated and distinctive lumber. It really stands out.
My point earlier was that there is nothing special or unique about the lumber under the brand Yella Wood.
Almost every lumber yard sells pressure treated wood. Not a knock on Yella, just a fact

Anyone that wants to work, is already working. There are help wanted signs everywhere. Only bums aren't working right now

Timber growers in Georgia and all over the South are being PAID not to harvest their trees by groups who want them in ground for their supposed ability to "offset carbon".
Nutty? Yes it is.
Do you know how trees work within the context of the environment? Do you know what a Carbon Sink is?

Sure, might be nutty in a vacuum-context, but on the whole, Carbon Sinks are good. They use Carbon and convert it into Oxygen, thus cooling the immediate atmosphere whilst increasing the chances of the ecosystem to survive.

I'm a hippie by heart, and a Centrist (try to be) by politics, but I hope you have enjoyed this discussion in Biology 101.

Do you know how trees work within the context of the environment? Do you know what a Carbon Sink is?

Sure, might be nutty in a vacuum-context, but on the whole, Carbon Sinks are good. They use Carbon and convert it into Oxygen, thus cooling the immediate atmosphere whilst increasing the chances of the ecosystem to survive.

I'm a hippie by heart, and a Centrist (try to be) by politics, but I hope you have enjoyed this discussion in Biology 101.

Carbon dioxide has a negligible effect on local temperature as compared to something like water vapor.

I'm not poopooing global warming or anything, as that's a global macro issue, but carbon sinks are not helping your local temperatures compared to other factors.

Last edited:
Anyone that wants to work, is already working. There are help wanted signs everywhere. Only bums aren't working right now
Received a weird and carefully-worded "warning" from my marina that the staff in the bar/restaurant on Mother's Day might be "limited." TRANSLATION: "we can't guarantee that we can find enough people to work on a busy Sunday....some of our usual staffers have not yet blown through their stimulus checks, so please be patient with us as we work through a delicate situation." LOL.

Reactions: Deerfuel2
Timber growers in Georgia and all over the South are being PAID not to harvest their trees by groups who want them in ground for their supposed ability to "offset carbon".
Nutty? Yes it is.
I guess there are those that want to turn GA into something similar to the republic of California. Lot of thick underbrush and trees and a potential fire hazard. And as always, let the consumers pay.

And if they do harvest their timber they are getting very low prices while their customers, the lumber mills, have tripled their sales prices. It’s outrageous
Lots of people taking advantage of the supply and demand situation. Price gouging. Many items are 6x times normal prices. I reload cartridges for my rifle and handguns. In the past, you could get primers for 45 dollars for 1000 primers. If you can even find primers, they are now typically 250 dollars for 1000 primers. Just an example. WE really need to have consumer protection laws back in place. Corporate America is taking over the country nowadays.

Last edited:
My son has a new neighbor who is two years from retirement as an NYC detective. He sold his house in (I think) Queens and bought a home in my sons neighborhood and moved his family down. He's renting a room from his brother in NY for the next 18 months but his wife and kids are already in FL and in school. Sold his house for $600K and bought in St. John's County for $425K. He commutes down to Fl every other weekend.
I think NY has lots of folks either doing something similar or at least thinking about it.
Come on down, just please leave NY style politics in NY : )

If you have bought anything lately dealing with building materials then you know what I am talking about. The price increases are absolutely crazy, with many items having increased 200% since Jan.
I have to buy steel pipe for my welding class and have seen the price for a piece of 6" pipe, which is one of the sizes welders are tested on for employment, jump from $590/21' length to $1222.00 since Jan.
Lumber has seen even more dramatic increases. A new 2000sq. ft. home in Bay Co will now cost over $350K and projected to be over 400K by June. I deal with a lot shipyards and major construction companies. All are saying they are seeing new projects on the books come to a screeching halt. Prices are jumping so fast they can't get locked in on prices to be able to bid projects. At some point we are going to reach a point and it is all going to come crashing down. We have all seen major market corrections when things have gotten out proportion before but I have never seen things like they are now. I think when it does finally come crashing back down it will be the worse we have seen.
I would like to respectfully disagree....I do not see demand for housing changing for many years....builders have been under building for years and the demand for housing is not going away...unless a lot of commercial and retail space can somehow be repurposed into housing it is just going to take a long time for supply to catch up. Especially the demand for housing is going to be very great in small to medium sized cities in red states with healthy job growth.

Reactions: tnesquire
I have no idea what's going to happen. Everywhere I look there's massive speculation and bubbles.

Stock market? Check.

Real Estate. Smaller check.

Crytpo? Maybe check.

Maybe the massive inflation is going to balance out the stock market and real estate bubbles. I dunno.
Maybe. I do not think the growth in the stock market reflects the reality for normal hard working folks.

IMHO this is another example of our government doing something really dumb by not letting tenants have the normal fear of negative consequences of not paying....who does the government think is going to be willing to rent to these people once they finally get evicted??? I wouldn't.

I live in Westchester county (it borders NYC to the north). Many people who live here are selling to the NYC crowd and moving to the next two counties north of Westchester if they aren't leaving the state entirely.
If we sell now, we will have $500k+ in equity to buy our next house. We could get something for $700-750k (that's the range that fits our needs in a town in NC we are targeting), put down 20% and use the interest from the remaining equity to pay virtually all of our new mortgage with the right investments. I know the investment market won't stay like this and we wouldn't be counting on it to do so, but it's a nice way to think about the math.
Good thinking. Westchester is pretty country though.

Just wait and see what happens in the housing market if the Pres actually gets this new idea to give $15,000 to "first time home buyers" (people who haven't bought a house the last 3 years) that wll be like pouring gasoline on a fire.

I have no idea what's going to happen. Everywhere I look there's massive speculation and bubbles.

Stock market? Check.

Real Estate. Smaller check.

Crytpo? Maybe check.

Maybe the massive inflation is going to balance out the stock market and real estate bubbles. I dunno.
Been there, done that, or at least 2 out of 3. Seen it all before.

Stock Market............yea maybe.
Real Estate.......depends on where, but Florida definitely big check.
Crypto.........greater fool theory.........never ends well for the holders at the end. (the end is unknowable)

not even in the locations I previously mentioned. But I’ll look at places that I have lived in the past like Columbus and Delray Beach. And their markets are crazy too.

I read an article here locally and it mentioned that houses going between 150-350K, are only staying on the market for 2 days before it is selling at or above asking.
I am working for builders in East Tennessee. If a loan for a 250 to 400k house falls through, we could sell the house 50 times over in one day. Crazy.

Last edited:
Reactions: misswebbsilverchief
Homes in my middle class, safe neighborhood in Tallahassee are now selling for $160-180+ per sq ft. I paid less than $107/sf less than 7 years ago. I'm keeping it - paying double the principal.
Very smart. I put 25 % down and doubled my mortgage payments every month and a few times threw 10k at a monthly payment and paid my house off in five years. It was my priority.

Reactions: nynole1
Received a weird and carefully-worded "warning" from my marina that the staff in the bar/restaurant on Mother's Day might be "limited." TRANSLATION: "we can't guarantee that we can find enough people to work on a busy Sunday....some of our usual staffers have not yet blown through their stimulus checks, so please be patient with us as we work through a delicate situation." LOL.
Desantis working on this problem currently.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT