ADVERTISEMENT

Westworld

The only thing that doesn't make sense to me about Bernard being a replica of Arnold is that nobody recognizes him as Arnold. I understand that Bernard wouldn't recognize himself as Arnold because of the rules with hosts. However, you would think someone as well known as Arnold would be recognized by other people working for the same company. Maybe Arnold uploaded his consciousness into a host or even Bernard, but I find it hard to believe that Bernard looks just like Arnold and nobody is aware.

Totally get the recognition thing, but Arnold "died" over 30 years ago. My recollection is that the MIB would be the only guest that would recognize him - possibly. Ford is the only other non-AI that has been around the park for that long, no?

Reactions: dmm5157
Totally get the recognition thing, but Arnold "died" over 30 years ago. My recollection is that the MIB would be the only guest that would recognize him - possibly. Ford is the only other non-AI that has been around the park for that long, no?

Yeah, it's been painfully reiterated in the show that no one has seen Arnold and there aren't even photos available of him. Logan mentions that his firm has been trying to find info and they can't even find a photo.

It doesn't mean Bernard is Arnold, but it appears that all those original hosts were clones of someone (Ford, his father, possibly Delores and Bernard). Maybe everyone in the park is a clone of someone.

Yeah, it's been painfully reiterated in the show that no one has seen Arnold and there aren't even photos available of him. Logan mentions that his firm has been trying to find info and they can't even find a photo.

It doesn't mean Bernard is Arnold, but it appears that all those original hosts were clones of someone (Ford, his father, possibly Delores and Bernard). Maybe everyone in the park is a clone of someone.

Wonder if maybe the characters we're following are those that initially had DNA used from prior guests or folks from Ford and Arnold's past and that's why they have their own storylines?

What if that's the basis for future seasons - whose DNA has been replicated from over the years and a potential "Hey, you look like my Aunt Maeve!!"

As someone already posted, I wonder if the maze isn't just one of the narratives.

I imagined Ford creating a fake resume and submitting it into the pile and then looking over HR's shoulder, "Hey, what about this Bernard guy? Lets interview him." Meanwhile in the backroom wrapping up building the guy. Clearly with the rotation of people and who knows how long Bernard has been there, he just got assimilated as a lifer. How many of th security guys are hosts? And how many different

Also hasn't been discussed much, but where exactly does Maeve think she is going to go? Now that she has become self aware, I understand "anywhere but here", it sure seems that she is ready to move on. It re-introduces the discussion of where are they? If its Nevada, she just wanders away, if they are on some foreign planet, then it should get interesting.

Also hasn't been discussed much, but where exactly does Maeve think she is going to go? Now that she has become self aware, I understand "anywhere but here", it sure seems that she is ready to move on. It re-introduces the discussion of where are they? If its Nevada, she just wanders away, if they are on some foreign planet, then it should get interesting.

Kinda thought on this lately. Yeah, WW is a place for interaction with AI, but what is the outside world like? Are there less lifelike 'droids running around or is it strictly human populace? Would she run out of "battery" or would she be able to self-sustain?

How are you feeling about who is who at this point?

No clue as I haven't been able to see the last two episodes as I've been in Paris since early November (back tomorrow) but pretty sure if being asked this question that at least one if not more of my assumptions are wrong. All good with being off track too. Tried to not read this page of the thread while responding but I did see a name and if so then I definitely was wrong.

Kinda thought on this lately. Yeah, WW is a place for interaction with AI, but what is the outside world like? Are there less lifelike 'droids running around or is it strictly human populace? Would she run out of "battery" or would she be able to self-sustain?

This goes back to why everyone "needs" their job. What is life like outside of WestWorld?
I also wonder if Arnold is real or just a narrative for the park itself.

I also wonder if the ending of the season will be very meta in that everyone in their search for an answer finds that the park never had a meaning and that there isn't much outside of westworld.

The whole Ford is the God of the place and Maeve being able to do what she's doing throws me off. Why is he allowing it. Also, who is the person, that Sylvester and Felix, said was messing with her code before they were?

Sorry if this has been discussed a few pages back.

But what's the plan with the dead corpse in the basement? I'm assuming Ford will now turn her into a host and send her back to work. He can't just leave her down there. Some one would have to know she is missing, right??

But what's the plan with the dead corpse in the basement? I'm assuming Ford will now turn her into a host and send her back to work. He can't just leave her down there. Some one would have to know she is missing, right??

Fairly certain the animation that's going on with the "old" machine is him creating an AI form of Theresa. As for the corpse... incinerate is the only logical thing I can think of. But this show has demonstrated that our logic isn't quite the same as futuristic logic.

He creates a double and replaces the human. Rolls the new in and no one is the wiser. I still wonder where Bernard's main assistant is, dead, disappeared, etc. He couldn't see her on the scan, but he also couldn't see the door in front of him as it was hidden.

He creates a double and replaces the human. Rolls the new in and no one is the wiser. I still wonder where Bernard's main assistant is, dead, disappeared, etc. He couldn't see her on the scan, but he also couldn't see the door in front of him as it was hidden.

SWAG... it was Ford's fake-dad... OR Bernard. Since Bernard went to "sleep" after she went missing, he'd have had his event log wiped - hence no recollection of her starting a leave (that I'm sure Ford put in the system.)

I am thinking someone grabbed her to protect her. Someone hidden or off grid, possibly Arnold.

I've noticed smoking being commonly showcased in the show. We know Teresa was not a host and she was in many scenes smoking. The Man in Black had cigars and he was not a host. The new corporate lady was smoking in her room when talking to Teresa. I will have to go back and see if they show any other hosts smoking. Could be nothing. Just a random observation.

Noticed the guys working on Maeve said the park is built to keep their IP. Even her skin. Wonder if Maeve escapes, but just dissolves in the "real world"- space, nuclear wasteland, Detroit, etc

Noticed the guys working on Maeve said the park is built to keep their IP. Even her skin. Wonder if Maeve escapes, but just dissolves in the "real world"- space, nuclear wasteland, Detroit, etc

I was thinking about that earlier. Ultimately, I figured the risk here is if the hosts escaped and were able to infiltrate the human world.

There are a lot of question marks, though.

1. Do their minds work independently, or are they part of a larger grid computer system? The show would have you believe that each host is disconnected, hence why they have to bring them physically back to the lab to diagnose them, etc. Keeping them tethered to the main system would mean if they got too far away from the park, they would cease to function. From logistics perspective, that would seem to make sense. That would keep people from trying to steal hosts as well.

2. Putting them on another planet, while a nice twist and seems plausible, cuts down on the risk of the hosts against humans. Although that may not be the final intent of the show.

3. What is the human world like at this point? In ways, it seems like things may be bad out there that people are looking to escape the regular world and get to Westworld.

No clue as I haven't been able to see the last two episodes as I've been in Paris since early November (back tomorrow) but pretty sure if being asked this question that at least one if not more of my assumptions are wrong. All good with being off track too. Tried to not read this page of the thread while responding but I did see a name and if so then I definitely was wrong.

I won't spoil it for you. Nice twist coming. Enjoy.

Reactions: HulaNole
Not only that, he could easily have Bernard collect anyone's DNA (or any other hosts for that matter).

They showed her, Theresa, being zipped up in a body bag in front of others, in the preview for next week. So, while an awesome idea, not sure it is true.

The only thing that doesn't make sense to me about Bernard being a replica of Arnold is that nobody recognizes him as Arnold. I understand that Bernard wouldn't recognize himself as Arnold because of the rules with hosts. However, you would think someone as well known as Arnold would be recognized by other people working for the same company. Maybe Arnold uploaded his consciousness into a host or even Bernard, but I find it hard to believe that Bernard looks just like Arnold and nobody is aware.

It has been 30 or more years since, whatever, happened to Arnold happened.SO, it is possible all new employees, board member, and so on have come since the "accident".

It has been 30 or more years since, whatever, happened to Arnold happened.SO, it is possible all new employees, board member, and so on have come since the "accident".

my theory is that you have 2 different timelines going. The young guy who is trying to be good is going to evolve into The Man in Black in current time. I also theorize that the character who Thandie Newton plays has evolved and is (if there is one) the robot leading the rebellion in current time.

my theory is that you have 2 different timelines going. The young guy who is trying to be good is going to evolve into The Man in Black in current time. I also theorize that the character who Thandie Newton plays has evolved and is (if there is one) the robot leading the rebellion in current time.
If William becomes MIB that is the worst casting in known history for that nerd to become Ed Freaking Harris

They showed her, Theresa, being zipped up in a body bag in front of others, in the preview for next week. So, while an awesome idea, not sure it is true.

Good call, my DVR cut off the previews for next week. Just watched the preview and sure enough they show someone getting zipped up in a body bag. Looks like Teresa. And there's Bernard asking Ford about why he forced him to kill Teresa.

Reactions: Wizzle_23

I think there have been 3 timelines, Arnold/Bernard interviewing Delores (35ish years ago), William/Delores (30ish years ago), and tMiB (present).

My theory on Maeve is... she is a pawn to throw the ultimate monkey wrench in Ford's plans.

Reactions: Cubman777
If William becomes MIB that is the worst casting in known history for that nerd to become Ed Freaking Harris

I think that is the point, the park changes the good guy nerd (white hat) into this bad ass MiB. That whole speech to her on the train, about the park showing him he doesn't have to pretend, aka tMiB is born.

I just can't get with the premise that Ford doesn't know about Maeve. He's casted as knowing everything about the park, what is going on at all times, etc. Maybe he does know about her but doesn't view her as a threat at this moment? I guess I could see Ford eventually having one of those "I should have seen what was happening, everything was right in front of me" type moments in regards to Maeve.

Reactions: Cubman777
Ford with Maeve and the boy killing the dog is what throws me for a loop. Ford is the god of that place. He is the creator, the story teller, he can destroy who he wants and build up who he wants at any given point. He can be old testament and new testament and everything in between.

For him to not know is comical unless there is a god/satan bet a-la the Job story happening that we do not know about.

Ford with Maeve and the boy killing the dog is what throws me for a loop. Ford is the god of that place. He is the creator, the story teller, he can destroy who he wants and build up who he wants at any given point. He can be old testament and new testament and everything in between.

For him to not know is comical unless there is a god/satan bet a-la the Job story happening that we do not know about.

The interaction with Ford and his younger clone (little boy) brings up the voice of Arnold. Same thing happened with Delores, she heard a voice telling her to shoot her attacker. It would seem Ford is battling Arnold.

I just can't get with the premise that Ford doesn't know about Maeve. He's casted as knowing everything about the park, what is going on at all times, etc. Maybe he does know about her but doesn't view her as a threat at this moment? I guess I could see Ford eventually having one of those "I should have seen what was happening, everything was right in front of me" type moments in regards to Maeve.

I could see a scenario where Ford is letting it happen just to see where the "game" is going... Let the plan start to unfold, type of thing.

He did say at one point that, "From time to time, the Board likes to test me." or something to that affect (effect? I can never remember the proper context)

The interaction with Ford and his younger clone (little boy) brings up the voice of Arnold. Same thing happened with Delores, she heard a voice telling her to shoot her attacker. It would seem Ford is battling Arnold.

would be kewl if next season they have like a host civil war, Arnold's host, if he's alive v. Ford's host.

I think that is the point, the park changes the good guy nerd (white hat) into this bad ass MiB. That whole speech to her on the train, about the park showing him he doesn't have to pretend, aka tMiB is born.

I think this would help explain how MIB can just hang out for (what seems like) months at a time. If he was to marry in to the family that invested in the park, there would easily be ways of ducking the system on payment or whatnot.

BTW, I saw that there was a revised post about how long guests could stay in the park (not that it matters that much). In the earlier portion, it was said in the show 14 days. But on Delos's Westworld booking website for the show, it says 28 days.

Maybe original info I got from Vulture.com Article was wrong. Or the amount of time they were allowed to stay changed over time (different timelines).

http://www.vulture.com/2016/10/westworld-rules-of-the-park.html

Reactions: GoNolesTX
BTW, I saw that there was a revised post about how long guests could stay in the park (not that it matters that much). In the earlier portion, it was said in the show 14 days. But on Delos's Westworld booking website for the show, it says 28 days.

Maybe original info I got from Vulture.com Article was wrong. Or the amount of time they were allowed to stay changed over time (different timelines).

http://www.vulture.com/2016/10/westworld-rules-of-the-park.html

So would this be the ultimate troll job? "Season 1, which was a 28 day vacation for certain guests, was an elaborate narrative..."

3 more episodes, do we think that they will carry on with this story line (or multiple time lines as is theorized) or go a completely different direction? Interesting that Ed Harris only signed on for this season, that certainly can be addressed, but Hopkins agreed to more than one season in his contract. Also surprisingly, Harris is making more per episode than Hopkins.

Last edited:

This is the most popular prevailing theory (2 timelines).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT