ADVERTISEMENT

What I Don’t Get About Vaccine

I think numbers were just under 750k the day before the argument. And that was likely low given how many are doing home tests. Course the fact he cited in light of how many vaccinations have been done actually indicates his position on vaccine efficacy is very very wrong.

Reactions: SteveT1
Sounds to me like Justices Kagan, Breyer, and Sotomayor don't have a clue about Covid.
750,000 infections yesterday?
100,000 children hospitalized, some on ventilators?
Yikes.
There is no way 100,000 children were hospitalized. We are averaging a little over 130 a week in the whole country for the last two weeks. There aren't 100,000 pediatric beds in the whole country, not even close.

Reactions: SteveT1 and GbrNole
yeah i haven't paid close attention to the national stats this week but for florida, the infection number in kids was actually a point below the florida average observed since the pandemic began (12.02% of florida infections reported this week vs 13.1% historic)

kids were doubling up that percentage during the height of delta in florida.

I think numbers were just under 750k the day before the argument. And that was likely low given how many are doing home tests. Course the fact he cited in light of how many vaccinations have been done actually indicates his position on vaccine efficacy is very very wrong.
Sorry, I got the number wrong. He said there were 750 million new cases yesterday.

yeah i haven't paid close attention to the national stats this week but for florida, the infection number in kids was actually a point below the florida average observed since the pandemic began (12.02% of florida infections reported this week vs 13.1% historic)

kids were doubling up that percentage during the height of delta in florida.
I read an article, can't remember where, over the last couple days, that said most of the young children in the hospital are there for other reasons and not for Covid even though they tested positive for Covid. Last full week of reporting was the week ending Dec. 25 and it had 72 under 18 hospitalized. That will go up with the next update, but still not something that is crazy high.

Reactions: GbrNole
I read an article, can't remember where, over the last couple days, that said most of the young children in the hospital are there for other reasons and not for Covid even though they tested positive for Covid. Last full week of reporting was the week ending Dec. 25 and it had 72 under 18 hospitalized. That will go up with the next update, but still not something that is crazy high.
The Biden admin was touting exactly that because they know lots of overstated dead kids is bad. Course the same has been true of all CoVid hospitalizations since day one, but narratives and all.

here's the current covid hospitalization data in FL. must be a crap ton of kid hospitalized in the other 49 states, or is it 56?

covid-dashboard-01-07-2022-page-1_orig.png

There is no way 100,000 children were hospitalized. We are averaging a little over 130 a week in the whole country for the last two weeks. There aren't 100,000 pediatric beds in the whole country, not even close.
The real number is something like 3500 I read. I hope that was a mistake and not an actual mis stating of numbers. Plus they are saying most kids are being hospitalized with covid and not for covid. Glad they are finally making that distinction. I saw where the CDC was asked for the numbers of deaths from covid and with covid. Will be interesting to see that number.

The real number is something like 3500 I read. I hope that was a mistake and not an actual mis stating of numbers. Plus they are saying most kids are being hospitalized with covid and not for covid. Glad they are finally making that distinction. I saw where the CDC was asked for the numbers of deaths from covid and with covid. Will be interesting to see that number.
That 3500 number must include ER admits, most of which are DCd and not admitted to the hospital. Current CDC numbers for week ending Jan. 1 is 140. That will go up on the next data dump, but no where near to 3500.

Reactions: GbrNole and SteveT1
That 3500 number must include ER admits, most of which are DCd and not admitted to the hospital. Current CDC numbers for week ending Jan. 1 is 140. That will go up on the next data dump, but no where near to 3500.
yeah that's the distinction i was making a week or two ago with the observation beds. those beds are mostly in the ED and counted as hospitalizations under HHS covid requirements but an observation bed is never a hospital admittance since an admittance is required to be a minimum stay of two midnights whereas an observation bed is expected to be no more than one midnight but could be more or less time and will still be coded as observation either way.

the observation beds were a huge sore point for medicare users as they were getting crushed by out of pocket costs for being hospitalized under observation whereas they thought they were being admitted.

Reactions: fsufool
yeah that's the distinction i was making a week or two ago with the observation beds. those beds are mostly in the ED and counted as hospitalizations under HHS covid requirements but an observation bed is never a hospital admittance since an admittance is required to be a minimum stay of two midnights whereas an observation bed is expected to be no more than one midnight but could be more or less time and will still be coded as observation either way.

the observation beds were a huge sore point for medicare users as they were getting crushed by out of pocket costs for being hospitalized under observation whereas they thought they were being admitted.
Sorry, but you were wrong when you overstated it before, and you remain wrong here, despite it being so deep in the weeds that it's irrelevant to anything of interest. ALL observation beds are not counted as Covid hospitalizations. It depends who is in them, when and with what symptoms and/or test results/for what purpose, and to some extent who is coding as well. But every observation bed counted as a Covid hospitalization? that remains NO, and that's not what the form earlier posted says (note the delineation between in-patient observation beds and total observation beds when the topic is occupancy, as opposed to mere bed counts for facilities/resources inventory purposes.)

Sorry, but you were wrong when you overstated it before, and you remain wrong here, despite it being so deep in the weeds that it's irrelevant to anything of interest. ALL observation beds are not counted as Covid hospitalizations. It depends who is in them, when and with what symptoms and/or test results/for what purpose, and to some extent who is coding as well. But every observation bed counted as a Covid hospitalization? that remains NO, and that's not what the form earlier posted says (note the delineation between in-patient observation beds and total observation beds when the topic is occupancy, as opposed to mere bed counts for facilities/resources inventory purposes.)
ok so i will expand to say exactly as the HHS document says - observation beds where a patient is lab confirmed covid positive or suspected to have covid. in my post immediately above though i never said "all".

sections 9 and 10 of the HHS document are clear that observation beds are to be counted for daily reporting in addition to adult and pediatric inpatient beds. it's unambiguous.

ok so i will expand to say exactly as the HHS document says - observation beds where a patient is lab confirmed covid positive or suspected to have covid. in my post immediately above though i never said "all".

sections 9 and 10 of the HHS document are clear that observation beds are to be counted for daily reporting in addition to adult and pediatric inpatient beds. it's unambiguous.
Since you didn’t specify I was referring back to your original hyperbole in the other thread about anybody who arrives at an ER with any Covid symptom no matter how quickly they’re seen and sent home allegedly being counted as a hospitalization. Anyway, not worth rehashing here since I already confirmed with my HHS relative that my interpretation was correct.
Carry on.

Per the CDC director, >75% of deaths classified as covid deaths had *at least* 4 comorbidities. Read that 66% had at least 6 comorbidities. The public health community are moving into the reality phase. Until/unless better data comes out, early variants still appear to be far more dangerous than the flu, but policies have been driver by inflated numbers. Hopefully omicron is like the cold and poses very little risk.

Per the CDC director, >75% of deaths classified as covid deaths had *at least* 4 comorbidities. Read that 66% had at least 6 comorbidities. The public health community are moving into the reality phase. Until/unless better data comes out, early variants still appear to be far more dangerous than the flu, but policies have been driver by inflated numbers. Hopefully omicron is like the cold and poses very little risk.
Do you think it might be more complete and helpful to the conversation to include the context of the question she was responding to and the clarification that she was referring only to deaths among vaccinated Covid patients?

Reactions: Dhersh
the overall data for all US covid deaths as of 1/2/22 is greater than 94% had at least 4 or more comorbidities - or as written by the CDC:

For over 5% of these deaths, COVID-19 was the only cause mentioned on the death certificate. For deaths with conditions or causes in addition to COVID-19, on average, there were 4.0 additional conditions or causes per death.

Reactions: SteveT1 and Dhersh
Do you think it might be more complete and helpful to the conversation to include the context of the question she was responding to and the clarification that she was referring only to deaths among vaccinated Covid patients?
I wonder what the number is for all cases shot or no shot. That question is being asked quite a bit lately.

the Big Lie:

LOL:

KEY POINTS
  • “The two doses, they’re not enough for omicron,” Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla said.
  • Bourla said the two-dose vaccine does not provide robust protection against infection and its ability to prevent hospitalization has also declined.
  • He said third shots are providing good protection against death, and “decent” protection against hospitalization.

LOL:

Now even the Trusted CNN has to admit In Hospital with Covid vs from Covid numbers are wrong

Hummmmm maybe Elon Musk and others were right all along

Guess Elon Musk was right all along:

Reactions: wilynole
the Big Lie:

LOL:

KEY POINTS
  • “The two doses, they’re not enough for omicron,” Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla said.
  • Bourla said the two-dose vaccine does not provide robust protection against infection and its ability to prevent hospitalization has also declined.
  • He said third shots are providing good protection against death, and “decent” protection against hospitalization.

LOL:

Now even the Trusted CNN has to admit In Hospital with Covid vs from Covid numbers are wrong

Hummmmm maybe Elon Musk and others were right all along

Guess Elon Musk was right all along:
This should go well.

How is it a lie if we've been talking about it as a possibility from day 1?
You keep saying this as if it was a FACT that they told us from day 1

that getting vaxed would not stop you from getting covid

they all ...the white house and the main stream media sold it as "get the shot and you were good to go"

not what she said :

and not what joe said

Yet

there is Joe saying in JULY 2021 get vaxed and you would be go to go

As i have said many, many times I will never change the minds of those who think 1 , 2 , 3 ,4 , 5 , 10 vaxs is the only way to go to treat covid and you have every right to that thought.

You are ignoring the things you don't want to believe. Variants can evade vaccinations. It happened before SARS-CoV-2 existed. It comes down to basic viral evolution. This is elementary stuff brother.
But wait… “they” never told us seat belts wouldn’t protect us against injury in all accidents and condoms wouldn’t prevent all bugs and all pregnancies and flu vaccine doesn’t stop all flu and …!!!!
They are just trying to control us with their lies and mind games! Screw all protective measures! I ain’t no sheep.

Reactions: itsjustme0770
You are ignoring the things you don't want to believe. Variants can evade vaccinations. It happened before SARS-CoV-2 existed. It comes down to basic viral evolution. This is elementary stuff brother.
But wait… “they” never told us seat belts wouldn’t protect us against injury in all accidents and condoms wouldn’t prevent all bugs and all pregnancies and flu vaccine doesn’t stop all flu and …!!!!
They are just trying to control us with their lies and mind games! Screw all protective measures! I ain’t no sheep.
All good!!! once again never will change your mind still doesnt change what your president or favorite news anchor said or sold to the american people

Maybe you will get lucky and they well tell you to get a 4th and 5th vax and then one every 6 months

• Haha
I'm sure the covid death count is accurate... thoughts on this paragraph from USA Today?

A couple hundred flags [representing those lost to covid] were missing. Those people almost certainly died from COVID, according to an examination of newly released data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, but their death certificates don’t mention it. Instead, they list conditions with symptoms that look a lot like COVID-19, such as Alzheimer’s disease, hypertension and diabetes.

We've been inflating covid death numbers under the CDC guidance. Not by an insignificant number, either.

Some false equivalence stupidity is just so stupid it merits no response. I’m guessing (hoping) that’s what we’ll see here.
This stuff with the COVID deaths and hospitalizations won’t go down well. Add to that they are going in on Fauci again about the lab leak theory and GOF research.

People are already skeptical and this won’t help at all. Poor messaging and worse optics regardless of what’s going on.

All good!!! once again never will change your mind still doesnt change what your president or favorite news anchor said or sold to the american people

Maybe you will get lucky and they well tell you to get a 4th and 5th vax and then one every 6 months
Not sure why you are assuming I voted for Biden or that I watch certain news coverage, or more importantly why you think any of that has to do with science. Stay on topic man.

You could have just said "I don't quite understand this point and would like to know more about how it works." and I know people on this board who could point you in the right direction, but you chose to take a much less mature route.

I'm sure the covid death count is accurate... thoughts on this paragraph from USA Today?

A couple hundred flags [representing those lost to covid] were missing. Those people almost certainly died from COVID, according to an examination of newly released data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, but their death certificates don’t mention it. Instead, they list conditions with symptoms that look a lot like COVID-19, such as Alzheimer’s disease, hypertension and diabetes.

We've been inflating covid death numbers under the CDC guidance. Not by an insignificant number, either.
Sorry but I don’t understand your last sentence or what you’re driving at here.
The USA Today article that you linked is all about how Covid death counts have been underreported, yet your last sentence says they’re way inflated. If they’re way inflated as you claim, what exactly accounts for the extreme number of “excess deaths” in the US during the Covid pandemic (a total that is higher than the CDC Covid death counts)?
I have no doubt that Covid deaths have been undercounted in some jurisdictions and overcounted in others. Short of better, more uniform standards for how all deaths should be screened for cause, I’m not sure how to reform the system of death cause accounting, but to date I’ve seen no compelling evidence that we can assume the net of Covid overcounts vs undercounts pushes the real total in one direction vs the other.
You?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT