ADVERTISEMENT

What's going to happen with Sam Childers?

Duo

Veteran Seminole Insider
Jul 23, 2006
Feel sorry for the poor guy. Seems like he was held up and got a raw deal?

Next president and new Boosters CEO will need to fix this. It is fixable with the right leadership and needs to get done sooner than later. This kind of social PC crap has to end. All of us in all races have done and said things we regret or had no malice when happening and as adults we need to move on or be paralyzed by expecting perfect people in an imperfect world.

Maybe we give those contracts to minority owned businesses instead. You know act like we are part of the solution and not the problem....

thread locking down in
pessimisticfixedcrow-small.gif

Maybe we give these contracts to the most deserving firm thru a competitive biding process.

Maybe, but that's probably how we ended up here.
Some people like to he agents of change and learn from mistakes. Some people want to be part of the solution and know that the same free market which hasn't developed a cure for covid hasn't created a cure for your passive racism either.

Reactions: speechteach
Although I have no personal knowledge it was written that Sam was being pressured to come up with some money (donation) and all would be forgiven. Humm, sounds like a shake down........aka extortion. Anyone know about that?

Also, what about his First Amendment Rights?

And it seems like the opportunity to sit down with Sam and talk about things that could be done to rectify the matter were completely blown. That looks like a huge error in judgement.......very unfair. It could have ended up in a Win/Win/Win but instead it may very well end up in a law suit. And in that case I would be on Sam's side. Very sad situation for everyone connected to FSU in any way.

Sad situation when a tattooed lady with vengeance laying in wait can ruin a man's company and career over his Halloween costume 6 years ago! :( :mad:

Last edited:
Some people like to he agents of change and learn from mistakes. Some people want to be part of the solution and know that the same free market which hasn't developed a cure for covid hasn't created a cure for your passive racism either.

So if someone believes in the free market they are a racist?
It’s idiotic labeling like this that prevents any rational discussion.

And some (all) people make mistakes. The good ones apologize and learn from it.

Poor guy? He and his firm have made millions of dollars from FSU contracts. He made a mistake and will pay the consequence of poor judgment. I’m not sure I would have made the same decision as JT but I respect it and understand. Bunch of snowflakes dying on a hill for a guy that dressed in blackface. I’m sure with demonstrated growth And time Childers can earn future contracts.

Poor guy? He and his firm have made millions of dollars from FSU contracts. He made a mistake and will pay the consequence of poor judgment. I’m not sure I would have made the same decision as JT but I respect it and understand. Bunch of snowflakes dying on a hill for a guy that dressed in blackface. I’m sure with demonstrated growth And time Childers can earn future contracts.
Snowflakes? You better make sure your closet is clean Sir. Because they are coming for you at some point. Don’t fool yourself.

Reactions: RHT 3 and gwgwi
"dying on a hill". Lol. Unless you were in the military maybe you should stick to cliches you can relate to.

"dying on a hill". Lol. Unless you were in the military maybe you should stick to cliches you can relate to.
Respectfully, the way I used “dying on a hill” was as an idiom. An idiom is a metaphorical figure of speech. It is understood that it is not a use of literal language. This has nothing to do with the military and I think you knew that.

The point is that there are a lot of folks who appear to have lost their $&?@ over a guy (who has made millions off FSU for good work BTW) that lost future construction contracts. They are acting like snowflakes. Again, I’m not sure I would’ve made the same decision as JT (bc I don’t know all the facts) But I accept it and won’t act punitively towards FSU.

Snowflakes? You better make sure your closet is clean Sir. Because they are coming for you at some point. Don’t fool yourself.
I have certainly had lapses in judgement, have atoned and continue to learn from my many mistakes. That being said, dressing up in blackface is something straight out of the “Only an idiot would do this” file. You can’t be from planet earth and not know that as a white person this is a no no.

Reactions: 89nole
I have certainly had lapses in judgement, have atoned and continue to learn from my many mistakes. That being said, dressing up in blackface is something straight out of the “Only an idiot would do this” file. You can’t be from planet earth and not know that as a white person this is a no no.
Do you support Indian face or do you think FSU should change our mascot?

Reactions: Longtime Nole
I don’t think fans should dress up in Native American garb. Neither does FSU which is why the Seminoles are the university’s symbol (and not a mascot).

Reactions: BraveSeminole10
Sounds familiar. Hope those who you were offending were more forgiving than you appear willing to be.
Well, I wasn’t a grown man in my 50s dressed up in blackface and relying on business from a public university. Again, I don’t have all the facts and not sure if I would’ve made the same decision. I respect Thrasher’s decision as he has consistently demonstrated Throughout his career that he evaluates the full picture before making a decision. This isn’t hard guys.

Well, I wasn’t a grown man in my 50s dressed up in blackface and relying on business from a public university. Again, I don’t have all the facts and not sure if I would’ve made the same decision. I respect Thrasher’s decision as he has consistently demonstrated Throughout his career that he evaluates the full picture before making a decision. This isn’t hard guys.
The same Thrasher that has been accused of racial insensitivity himself?
This was nothing more than feeding the mob. And perhaps because of his own past transgression(s), covering his own ass.
And I know Sam. I know people the work/worked for Childers. So maybe that’s why I am not as flippant about the hammer being laid down on them.

About 9 or 10 years ago a white friend of mine decided to accept a job with a government contractor by going to Sudan in Africa to an area where there was a lot of violence and killing. He was to go to the scenes of violence, take pictures and count bodies. Before he left there was a BIG "Going to Africa costume party" for him. The party was attended by all kinds of people as I recall: whites, blacks, in betweens, Hispanics, Asian or Chinese. Everybody dressed up like African natives wearing black faces using makeup from a costume store specifically for black faces, all except the black folks there of course. And people dressed in wild colors, native like costumes with leopard prints, spears, bones in their hair, etc. and that includes the blacks that were there as well. The vote for the best costume went to a white girl with black face wearing a fake leopard skin and a big bone tied in her hair on the top of her head. Everybody had lots of laughs and there was great comradery with the black folks there that were also dressed as jungle natives and all of us drinking and singing silly songs. It was all in good fun, teasing and joke telling and well wishing for the guy that was leaving. All wearing black faces and all having fun together.

Never would have dreamt it would have evolved into the mess of today. :eek:

Maybe we give those contracts to minority owned businesses instead. You know act like we are part of the solution and not the problem....
So, letting race be the initial determining factor, to hire someone? That seems pretty racist to me. It certainly didn't seem to work in hiring a football coach.
Will we ever be able to move past what the color of someone's skin color is, if it is conveniently used as some type of disqualifying (or qualifying) factor? At what point does it fall back on the individual's own merits, and not skin color? I always thought it was to try and get to a point where race doesn't matter.

Respectfully, the way I used “dying on a hill” was as an idiom. An idiom is a metaphorical figure of speech. It is understood that it is not a use of literal language. This has nothing to do with the military and I think you knew that.

The point is that there are a lot of folks who appear to have lost their $&?@ over a guy (who has made millions off FSU for good work BTW) that lost future construction contracts. They are acting like snowflakes. Again, I’m not sure I would’ve made the same decision as JT (bc I don’t know all the facts) But I accept it and won’t act punitively towards FSU.
Do you honestly think that his costume was offensive?
If you were genuinely offended, do you think the punishment was equal to the"crime"?

I have an extremely diversified past, and have navigated my way to a pretty successful life on "planet earth". I doubt many if any of the people that know me, would characterize me as an idiot; probably not even in the dumb or dense category.
I have never heard of it being a no go , to darken your skin as part of a costume, to emulate someone that you look up to and respect. That being offensive, seems really simple minded to be offended by it. I don't see a problem with it, even after this "enlightening" reaction by the fragile, anti Bob Marley folks

BTW, along with this whole anti-statue thing I was wondering if the old graveyard in Tallahassee with quite a few grave markers for Confederate soldiers that died in the Civil War is in tact and still exists? Wondering if Confederate soldier's graves are being desecrated or the stones removed or the graves dug up? I can't imagine it but then I couldn't imagine people's livelihoods being taken away because of Halloween costumes either! :eek:

About 9 or 10 years ago a white friend of mine decided to accept a job with a government contractor by going to Sudan in Africa to an area where there was a lot of violence and killing. He was to go to the scenes of violence, take pictures and count bodies. Before he left there was a BIG "Going to Africa costume party" for him. The party was attended by all kinds of people as I recall: whites, blacks, in betweens, Hispanics, Asian or Chinese. Everybody dressed up like African natives wearing black faces using makeup from a costume store specifically for black faces, all except the black folks there of course. And people dressed in wild colors, native like costumes with leopard prints, spears, bones in their hair, etc. and that includes the blacks that were there as well. The vote for the best costume went to a white girl with black face wearing a fake leopard skin and a big bone tied in her hair on the top of her head. Everybody had lots of laughs and there was great comradery with the black folks there that were also dressed as jungle natives and all of us drinking and singing silly songs. It was all in good fun, teasing and joke telling and well wishing for the guy that was leaving. All wearing black faces and all having fun together.

Never would have dreamt it would have evolved into the mess of today. :eek:
Totally the same context my man. Good grief.
Do you honestly think that his costume was offensive?
If you were genuinely offended, do you think the punishment was equal to the"crime"?
Do I know and think it is insensitive and show a profound lack of judgement? Yes. As I said earlier, I’m not sure if I would’ve made the same decision as JT bc I don’t have all the facts like he does. That being said, I accept it and will not act punitively towards my alma mater. My Booster contributions and donations to the COB are not contingent on me agreeing with every decision of the FSU prez.

I have an extremely diversified past, and have navigated my way to a pretty successful life on "planet earth". I doubt many if any of the people that know me, would characterize me as an idiot; probably not even in the dumb or dense category.
I have never heard of it being a no go , to darken your skin as part of a costume, to emulate someone that you look up to and respect. That being offensive, seems really simple minded to be offended by it. I don't see a problem with it, even after this "enlightening" reaction by the fragile, anti Bob Marley folks
A mentor of mine once told me to “learn on someone else’s dime”. If you didn’t know that as a white make you shouldn’t dress up in Blackface, consider this lesson a gift to you.

That's a pretty weak deflection. I hope you are ready to double up on your donation
How is that a weak deflection? I’m suggesting that if you Or someone else didn’t know that, then you just got a gift. JT’s decision is already paying dividends!
I don’t think we are going to agree here. I wish you well and hope you don’t act punitively to our shared alma mater.

A mentor of mine once told me to “learn on someone else’s dime”. If you didn’t know that as a white make you shouldn’t dress up in Blackface, consider this lesson a gift to you.
Lol... Just because someone considers something offensive, that doesn't mean everyone else has to agree with the offended. This whole "blackface" thing is created by people looking for a reason to be offended. It doesn't make sense to people that are actually thinking for themselves.
If you show me someone dressing up in blackface as a way to ridicule or demean people of color, I will be in front of you in my condemnation of them. That is not what this was, and it is mentally and emotionally lazy and manipulative, to lump it all together

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT