ADVERTISEMENT

What's going to happen with Sam Childers?

Well, I wasn’t a grown man in my 50s dressed up in blackface and relying on business from a public university. Again, I don’t have all the facts and not sure if I would’ve made the same decision. I respect Thrasher’s decision as he has consistently demonstrated Throughout his career that he evaluates the full picture before making a decision. This isn’t hard guys.
It wasn’t black face, it was Bob Marley. Do you even know the difference? Should I google pics of actual blackface for you?

The fact that you don’t understand the difference, the insensitivity and poor judgement Here is more telling. It is a no - no and Childers will face repercussions. Are they required, again, I’ve provided my perspective and will not be punitive to JT and FSU. Time for me to move on from this thread. Go Noles!

A mentor of mine once told me to “learn on someone else’s dime”. If you didn’t know that as a white make you shouldn’t dress up in Blackface, consider this lesson a gift to you.
You clearly don't know what the history of Blackface entails and the rewriting of said history. Dressing up as a football player, basketball player, or other african american celebrity is not mocking or demeaning them in the way that the Minstrel Comedic Shows portrayed African Americans. There is no stereotyping done by dressing up as celebrity or sports figure.

Blackface was mocking any African American male or female. It wasn't dressing up as a celebrity or historic figure.

If the Sarah Howard was so offended for African-Americans by the picture then she shouldn't have sat on the picture for a year before sending to the Thrasher.

You clearly don't know what the history of Blackface entails and the rewriting of said history. Dressing up as a football player, basketball player, or other african american celebrity is not mocking or demeaning them in the way that the Minstrel Comedic Shows portrayed African Americans. There is no stereotyping done by dressing up as celebrity or sports figure.

Blackface was mocking any African American male or female. It wasn't dressing up as a celebrity or historic figure.

If the Sarah Howard was so offended for African-Americans by the picture then she shouldn't have sat on the picture for a year before sending to the Thrasher.
Her timing is interesting. It's been reported that she first approached the Childers family and said the issue could go away if a nice donation was made to BLM.

Reactions: Hogpynn
Her timing is interesting. It's been reported that she first approached the Childers family and said the issue could go away if a nice donation was made to BLM.
I wish that was documented with Childers so he could go after her for blackmail.

Reactions: Hogpynn
I wish that was documented with Childers so he could go after her for blackmail.
As I’ve said in another thread, if Sam was so inclined he could probably lawyer up and do pretty well with this. I know lawyers here in Atlanta that would run with it. If the woman actually said that a donation would make it go away it might be a slam dunk.

Is this thread serious??? We are worried about a person that has done very well in business and will be just fine. You are all acting like the man had his house burn down and Thrasher shot his dog.

FSU is a public institution. Contracts are awarded politically. I would imagine FSU President had people in his ear about this and that no further contract would be awarded. He can still attend FSU games and wear FSU gear and still has his diploma.

People feeling worried about this should have more important things to concern themselves with. I am certain that Mr. Childers will be ok.

Reactions: rpcfsu
Is this thread serious??? We are worried about a person that has done very well in business and will be just fine. You are all acting like the man had his house burn down and Thrasher shot his dog.

FSU is a public institution. Contracts are awarded politically. I would imagine FSU President had people in his ear about this and that no further contract would be awarded. He can still attend FSU games and wear FSU gear and still has his diploma.

People feeling worried about this should have more important things to concern themselves with. I am certain that Mr. Childers will be ok.
He will. BTW, Childers Construction was not permanently barred from bidding on future contracts.

His reputation has been ruined and his business severely damaged and possibly destroyed. But hey, he can still wear an FSU hat, so he has that going for him.

His reputation has been ruined and his business severely damaged and possibly destroyed. But hey, he can still wear an FSU hat, so he has that going for him.
At the very least an investigation should be launched to see to what extent Sarah Howard allegedly pressured Sam Childers or any of his family or employees to make contributions to anyone including FSU and/or the BLM or any other institution in order to "make the problem go away". That is wrong and illegal.

This is a time when witnesses should be deposed prior to the beginning of the trial.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChiefWB

It sounds like you work for someone, or don't really know how it feels to own your own business.

You are completely missing the point. I would imagine with all the powerful boosters people are referencing on here, not to mention some will give him business just because he wore blackface, he should be fine.

This is an FSU board, so the focus is on the relationship with FSU. All that was done was not award him any more contracts. If he built his business just on getting FSU projects, well he is not a very good business man. Those that diversify excel.

Reactions: rpcfsu
At the very least an investigation should be launched to see to what extent Sarah Howard allegedly pressured Sam Childers or any of his family or employees to make contributions to anyone including FSU and/or the BLM or any other institution in order to "make the problem go away". That is wrong and illegal.

This is a time when witnesses should be deposed prior to the beginning of the trial.

Hahahahahahaha... what a waste of time and money not only for the courts but anyone involved. FSU can give out the contracts to anyone that is approved to provide government services. Should we also investigate why he received so many? Should those that didn't win a contract also sue and investigate?

Obviously you do not know how local government works...

You are completely missing the point. I would imagine with all the powerful boosters people are referencing on here, not to mention some will give him business just because he wore blackface, he should be fine.

This is an FSU board, so the focus is on the relationship with FSU. All that was done was not award him any more contracts. If he built his business just on getting FSU projects, well he is not a very good business man. Those that diversify excel.
You must of missed the Democrat article where he was outed as a racist by the current President of FSU. His relationship with FSU is anything but fine at this point.

Hahahahahahaha... what a waste of time and money not only for the courts but anyone involved. FSU can give out the contracts to anyone that is approved to provide government services. Should we also investigate why he received so many? Should those that didn't win a contract also sue and investigate?

Obviously you do not know how local government works...
So, what do you do for a living? Do you have employees that you sign their paycheck? Or do you work for someone that you are an employee for? Your perspective seems to be very narrow

You are completely missing the point. I would imagine with all the powerful boosters people are referencing on here not to mention some will give him business just because he wore blackface, he should be fine.

In all my years on WC I have read a lot of dumb-ass comments, but I think this has moved to the top of the list!!! You said if he built his business on getting FSU projects alone he was not a very good business man, likewise anyone who would award a contract based on SC wearing black face would be an even worse business person.

Reactions: BriSape23
Possible extortion aside… what concerns me the most about this [perceived by some] faux pas is that it actually helps take away from REAL issues. Yes, there are real issues that DO need to be addressed. They do exist. I’m not blind to them. And I believe that other people aren’t either. The problem is that making a mountain out of a molehill over a person being Bob Marley—at Halloween party—desensitizes many people to the real plight that others ARE facing. It fuels apathy. It doesn’t engender support. It does the very opposite. And maybe that’s exactly what she wanted when she purposefully slung the hand grenade into the room.

Possible extortion aside… what concerns me the most about this [perceived by some] faux pas is that it actually helps take away from REAL issues. Yes, there are real issues that DO need to be addressed. They do exist. I’m not blind to them. And I believe that other people aren’t either. The problem is that making a mountain out of a molehill over a person being Bob Marley—at Halloween party—desensitizes many people to the real plight that others ARE facing. It fuels apathy. It doesn’t engender support. It does the very opposite. And maybe that’s exactly what she wanted when she purposefully slung the hand grenade into the room.
This. And it completely ignores the need for conversation about these issues. Blow someone up, cancel them and move on to the next one. That is the road map to nowhere.

Reactions: RONole and goldmom
So, what do you do for a living? Do you have employees that you sign their paycheck? Or do you work for someone that you are an employee for? Your perspective seems to be very narrow

I have done both... running a business is a big responsibility for sure. My perspective I am sure is much wider than yours based on most of your previous posts. How many places in the country have you called your office or really interacted with regarding a workforce? Any places outside the country? Please enlighten me on your "wide" focus.

I have done both... running a business is a big responsibility for sure. My perspective I am sure is much wider than yours based on most of your previous posts. How many places in the country have you called your office or really interacted with regarding a workforce? Any places outside the country? Please enlighten me on your "wide" focus.
Just what I suspected. You don't really know what owning your own business is like. That's not a bad thing, just it explains a part of your opinion

Just what I suspected. You don't really know what owning your own business is like. That's not a bad thing, just it explains a part of your opinion

I have actually run my own business... I knew how my decisions reflected on my company and impacted any employees I had. I conducted myself accordingly.

But I would say some of your opinions are based on locality, it is not a bad thing if you have not experienced many other cultures or places, but definitely informs your opinion.

Respectfully, the way I used “dying on a hill” was as an idiom. An idiom is a metaphorical figure of speech. It is understood that it is not a use of literal language. This has nothing to do with the military and I think you knew that.

The point is that there are a lot of folks who appear to have lost their $&?@ over a guy (who has made millions off FSU for good work BTW) that lost future construction contracts. They are acting like snowflakes. Again, I’m not sure I would’ve made the same decision as JT (bc I don’t know all the facts) But I accept it and won’t act punitively towards FSU.
Agree with your conclusion and will be surprised if Childers does not lead that charge. Sam is likely very angry but will take the high road at the end of the day IMO. Everyone should consider motive and response carefully and chose the correct target(s) before shooting......

Reactions: goldmom
Agree with your conclusion and will be surprised if Childers does not lead that charge. Sam is likely very angry but will take the high road at the end of the day IMO. Everyone should consider motive and response carefully and chose the correct target(s) before shooting......
What? No shoot...ready...aim? :confused:

I have certainly had lapses in judgement, have atoned and continue to learn from my many mistakes. That being said, dressing up in blackface is something straight out of the “Only an idiot would do this” file. You can’t be from planet earth and not know that as a white person this is a no no.
Look in a mirror quickly. Your critical but positive judgement here will either identify your charge or perhaps confirm you're not from planet earth.......

Contrair, I am concerned that FSU's wounded duck Prez made a seemingly debatable call that disrespected a long term, well respected Tally family and a former very popular Nole FB player. If as careless as it appears it could easily trickle down adversely to our athletic program. Tally once passionately supported FSU and the athletic programs, particularly FB. The decision by John Thrasher absolutely does not accommodate reclaiming consensus community loyalty to the Noles. Our university and our Noles desperately need Tallahassee........!

Contrair, I am concerned that FSU's wounded duck Prez made a seemingly debatable call that disrespected a long term, well respected Tally family and a former very popular Nole FB player. If as careless as it appears it could easily trickle down adversely to our athletic program. Tally once passionately supported FSU and the athletic programs, particularly FB. The decision by John Thrasher absolutely does not accommodate reclaiming consensus community loyalty to the Noles. Our university and our Noles desperately need Tallahassee........!

I certainly hope our school is bigger than Leon county. While I am sure during the 70’s and 80’s, local support mattered greatly, the school has evolved and now we are a national brand.

I am glad it is not the good ole boys network anymore and we should operate accordingly. If you think a President that lead a school to a top 20 rating is on thin ice or lame duck, it is obvious your only interactions with Florida State occur through the TV on Saturdays in the fall.

I certainly hope our school is bigger than Leon county. While I am sure during the 70’s and 80’s, local support mattered greatly, the school has evolved and now we are a national brand.

I am glad it is not the good ole boys network anymore and we should operate accordingly. If you think a President that lead a school to a top 20 rating is on thin ice or lame duck, it is obvious your only interactions with Florida State occur through the TV on Saturdays in the fall.
Local support mattered then and it matters now, national brand notwithstanding. FSU's academic achievements during JT's tenure are impressive but his lame duck status is not conjecture. Three FSU degrees, 40+ booster and season tix years does not give me special standing but it does mean you have no right to insult my FSU connection or 'interaction.' In question here is JT's oversight of the athletic arm of the university and an unfortunate decision he made related directly to an alumni/former player whom is well known and respected by thousands of locals (including 'good ole boys' and girls) and many fans outside of Tally. It matters to them and should matter to you........

Reactions: Deerfuel2
In question here is JT's oversight of the athletic arm of the university and an unfortunate decision he made related directly to an alumni/former player whom is well known and respected by thousands of locals (including 'good ole boys' and girls) and many fans outside of Tally. It matters to them and should matter to you........

It doesn’t and your reply proves my point. Thank you for your support but step aside, you’re in the way of progress.

It doesn’t and your reply proves my point. Thank you for your support but step aside, you’re in the way of progress.
My reply likely reflects my Nole bias first, then Tallahassee in that order, not my brand awareness. Your closing remarks are relatively condescending so please explain wherein I erred. I understand and accept that you oppose my opinion of President Thrasher, more thread specific, his actions with regard to Childers. Moving on, why do you tout our national brand while poo pooing local support with specific reference to 'good ole boys?' Big City, just 'boomer' bias? You should query admin leaders of our conference rival that has directly impacted our national brand standing as to what they think of local support. All support matters (ASM) and if you're losing ground on the home front, addressing it while we're in recovery mode likely needs to be someone's priority........

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT