ADVERTISEMENT

Womens soccer

2A42B1D900000578-3150427-image-a-30_1436139351810.jpg

Reactions: Bartdog
I have to admit that I may have been wrong about Jill Ellis. I complained about her a lot to start this tournament, that she wasn't developing talent, that she was overplaying older talent, and to some extent that was correct during the group stage. However once we got past the group stage she began to make changes with the roster, formations, etc... and this team just got better and better each game. Last night was this team playing at almost peak performance and showed just how dominating they can be.

Another former Ellis critic here i didnt think she had a clue a month ago, or two weeks ago but she got it done. Impressive turn around.

Lloyd is a fun player that we really havent had before. Zidane like last night, hope she keeps it up now as the younger group takes over next cycle.

Imho On the diving, still a lot of it in womens game, japan was trying all night, just as colombia and others did. Ref did a nice job ignoring modt of it which is all that will decrease it.,

Julie Johnston had an amazing cup minus 3 mistakes that created two goals and a pk. Bad luck and glad it didnt cost us. Johnston, lloyd , morgan and Brian should be the stars next cycle.
Didnt realize lloyd was 32 but she has way more in the tank than Rapinoe or Wambach. Hope she sticks around

Last edited:
I really think that FIFA needs to enact a rule that any penalties that are awarded a card, PK, or a long amount of time on the ground stalling play should have at least a video review after the game with a yellow card awarded as well as a fine for any flops. Certain countries are terrible about it. The MLS to its credit has awarded cards this year for flopping in the box.

Another former Ellis critic here i didnt think she had a clue a month ago, or two weeks ago but she got it done. Impressive turn around.

Lloyd is a fun player that we really havent had before. Zidane like last night, hope she keeps it up now as the younger group takes over next cycle.

1. On Ellis, the criticism was fair. Kudos to her for making the right changes, but really these should have been made in qualifying.

2. Lloyd is not an overnight success. This is her third WC. The 4-2-3-1 formation really benefited her.

usa-wins-world-cup-in-record-match-24-photos-1.gif

I have to admit that I may have been wrong about Jill Ellis. I complained about her a lot to start this tournament, that she wasn't developing talent, that she was overplaying older talent, and to some extent that was correct during the group stage. However once we got past the group stage she began to make changes with the roster, formations, etc... and this team just got better and better each game. Last night was this team playing at almost peak performance and showed just how dominating they can be.

I thought they looked like the worst Women's team we have had from their play in group play. Their last 3 games they looked like one of the best teams we have had. Awesome performance last night on the biggest stage. Well done Ladies!!!!

So much less flopping and acting like they had been shot then in the men's game.

I agree. Much better game to watch without all the flopping and complaining. There are still some women's national teams that flop...Brazil and some of the other South American teams.

Where's all the outrage over Solo's participation on the team?

Domestic violence is a real crime, bullying and abusing a minor is inexcusable.

That person is a sociopath and it's disgusting that she was allowed this honor that she does not deserve.

The Solo complaining happened before the Cup, it was a big story but certainly not on the level of an nfl domestic case.

Solo keeping quiet during Cup decreased some criticism on her selection.

The Solo complaining happened before the Cup, it was a big story but certainly not on the level of an nfl domestic case.

Solo keeping quiet during Cup decreased some criticism on her selection.

if she were a man, she wouldn't be on the team and the coach would have had to resign.

I thought they looked like the worst Women's team we have had from their play in group play. Their last 3 games they looked like one of the best teams we have had. Awesome performance last night on the biggest stage. Well done Ladies!!!!
I felt the same way. Didn't think they stood a chance of beating Germany or France the way they played in the group stage. Adding Morgan Brian as a defensive midfielder made a huge difference. A complete turn around in the overall play. Just glad she wasn't able to do the same thing to the Lady Noles in College Cup.

Where's all the outrage over Solo's participation on the team?

Domestic violence is a real crime, bullying and abusing a minor is inexcusable.

That person is a sociopath and it's disgusting that she was allowed this honor that she does not deserve.

As others mentioned, there was quite a bit of discussion of it, especially right before the cup when Outside the Lines did an expose on it. With that said, I have been bothered all along that men are raked over the coals for ever indiscretion, but since she was a woman no one really cared. She never even served a suspension until she and her husband/boyfriend/not sure were found driving the US Van drunk. It did show a major double standard. Had it been Tim Howard everyone would have been screaming for him to never play the sport again.

Criminal charges against her were dropped. She got 30-day suspension after her husband's escapade.

As others mentioned, there was quite a bit of discussion of it, especially right before the cup when Outside the Lines did an expose on it.

really was insignificant coverage . . . it wasn't like Heather Cox ambushed her with questions while she was walking to the podium to get her trophy, let alone the coach who played her and didn't suspend her a single game.

What people are missing in the Solo story is that the alleged victims refused to testity or pursue it. She's still innocent until proven guilty--isn't that what we wanted for Winston? Let's be consisitent.
Me personally, I love the thought of a goalie her size with a reputation for beating up men charging out of the goal. Has to be intimidating.

Now, the drunk driving thing is a different story entirely. Whether she should have been suspended for that is up for discussion.

What people are missing in the Solo story is that the alleged victims refused to testity or pursue it. She's still innocent until proven guilty--isn't that what we wanted for Winston? Let's be consisitent.
Me personally, I love the thought of a goalie her size with a reputation for beating up men charging out of the goal. Has to be intimidating.

Now, the drunk driving thing is a different story entirely. Whether she should have been suspended for that is up for discussion.

That has been the same with several NFL players. Doesn't mean they aren't killed for it. I'm actually fine with the coverage she got for it if the same were applied towards men. I'm not actually terribly offended by Solo, I'm just terribly offended by the different requirements for media coverage.

I agree. Much better game to watch without all the flopping and complaining. There are still some women's national teams that flop...Brazil and some of the other South American teams.
It's nice that they don't flop as much, and I'm elated the USA won, but really let's not be silly and pretend the woman's game is even 1/10th as interesting to watch as the men's game.

Reactions: seminoleed
It's nice that they don't flop as much, and I'm elated the USA won, but really let's not be silly and pretend the woman's game is even 1/10th as interesting to watch as the men's game.

It isn't as fast, but sometimes I enjoy that better as long as the technique is the same. It is much easier to see the formations form in the women's game due to the difference in speed. So to someone with my skill level knowledge of soccer its easier to often identify the formation or techniques being in play whereas in Men's soccer, it often moves so fast that the formations don't strike me as easily.

For me, it's all about whether I care about the outcome, regardless of sport or level.

Reactions: BelemNole
just an amazing picture. This will very soon be a demotivational "failure" meme I'm sure.

Japanese coach took the player who was covering Carli Lloyd out of the game after that. she was inconsolable, and was ruining the team's morale. they stopped the bleeding after that one, so it was a good sub.

I felt the same way. Didn't think they stood a chance of beating Germany or France the way they played in the group stage. Adding Morgan Brian as a defensive midfielder made a huge difference. A complete turn around in the overall play. Just glad she wasn't able to do the same thing to the Lady Noles in College Cup.

Most accurate post of the thread! What a difference she made, and it goes mostly unnoticed because she was not on the score sheet. If I had to compare, I think Michael Carrick comes to mind as MUFC was a much better and different team when he was out there. While Brian was controlling the middle of the pitch, Lloyd was able to push up and make a presence for herself in the box (with Alex Morgan often drawing two defenders), instead of sitting back more while Alex was getting doubled up. Of course, while this is all going on, Jrue's wife was able to play box to box, and her volley was perhaps the goal of the competition!. What a strike! Messi, Di Maria, Higuain, Aguero, Sanchez, Vidal and Vargas all just needed to do half of what Lauren did to win that tournament played to the deep south of us.

One thing that did bother me just a little, was the US's coaching staff being out there on the pitch just after the game ended. Maybe I'm more of an older traditionalist, but I feel that, that moment was the player's moment and the coaches should have sat back for a few moments and let the players share the spotlight with themselves instead of celebrating with the players. Again, it was probably absolutely nothing and I am just nitpicking.

The first half of that game was one of the most amazing I've seen. I'm by no means a huge soccer fanatic. I really only got into the game via FIFA on xbox playing a friend of mine who used to be a professional keeper. He taught me some things, and playing that game has genuinely developed my understanding and appreciation.

The shot from midfield in full stride, as well as the volley in full stride off the Japanese defender's terrible clearance, were the kind of shots I see men miss way more often than they make. The U.S. played practically perfect for the first 20-something minutes.

Reactions: LesClaypool
I don't know, but the police report said he was only 17 and had visible injuries, not subject soft tissue injuries.

And it shouldn't matter what the kid looks like, he's a minor and in his own house. Nobody has a pass to come in and start abusing him, verbally or otherwise. If he had those injuries he probably wasn't even trying to defend himself at first.

And it shouldn't matter what the kid looks like, he's a minor and in his own house. Nobody has a pass to come in and start abusing him, verbally or otherwise. If he had those injuries he probably wasn't even trying to defend himself at first.

That wasn't my point, just surprised a kid that big didn't put her on her ass trying to protect his mom. Granted she is used to getting punched by an NFL player.

Ha, no- I just hate people like that and I hate the double standard even more.

Oh, the way you spoke it was as though you were there or knew her. Thank you for clarifying.

Yes, I agree there is a double standard.

Houston Dash, which averages about 1500 per game, may have to open the upper bowl for Sunday's game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT