ADVERTISEMENT

Golf Metraux in contention after first round of Olympics

FSU sports information:

Florida State’s Morgane Metraux, who is playing for her home country of Switzerland, is in a tie for third place with a 2 under par score of 70 after the first round of the 2024 Olympic Women’s Golf Championship at Le Golf National. Metraux trails only the first round leader (Celine Boutier of France, 1, -7) and the second place golfer (Ashleigh Buhai of South Africa, 2, -4) in the race for a gold, silver, or bronze medal after the first 18 holes of play.

Metraux is tied for third place with Gaby Lopez of Mexico, Uribe Mariajo of Columbia, and Vu Lilia of the United States for third place.

Metraux birdied her final two holes of her first round to put herself in contention for a medal with her first-round score of 70. She was three strokes under par on her final six holes of the round with three birdies. Metraux birdied four holes during the round.

Metraux finished the round as one of four golfers under par for the round. The top 11 golfers after the first round all within six strokes of the individual lead, with a group of five golfers just one stroke outside currently outside of medal contention.

Metraux begins play at 3:11 a.m. (local time) and will play with Azahara Munoz (Spain) and Bianca Pagdanganan (Philippines) in the second round. The group of Metraux, Munoz, and Pagdanganan will play as the second group off hole the starting tee in the second round.

Metraux, a two-time American at Florida State, is making her Olympic debut.

Golf Channel will air the 2024 Women’s Olympic Golf event on TV.

Olympic Women’s Golf TV schedule

Thursday, August 8: 3 a.m.-end of round (Golf Channel)
Friday, August 9: 3 a.m.-end of round (Golf Channel)
Saturday, August 10: 3 a.m.-end of round (Golf Channel)
Reactions: NoleLizards

Golf PGSF FedEx Cup Week 32 The Wyndham Championship

I needed those about 20 years ago, when playing in a local amateur tournament. I was one of the better players in the field, very near scratch (think at the time my index was around .5 or .6). Three day tournament on a course I played often. On the first day, I was even through 7 holes. Eight was a short par 4, normally a good birdie chance but with OB on both sides. I pushed my tee shot & knew it would be close, so teed up a provisional & hit an identical shot. Go down the fairway, they are right beside each other (could've covered both with a baseball cap)...and both out of bounds by, at most, a couple of inches. Back to the tee, pull-hook one OB left, reload, hit another OB to the right, then another OB to the left. Five OB, finally hit the fairway, and make a smooth 14. Played the rest of the way even - so was even for 17 holes, and +10 on the other one.

Offense in perspective. . .

The defense continues to appear to be winning most of the battles in practice, but in each report we hear about long drives being sustained, from what sounds like the starting offense at times. It continues to "feel" like the offense is making strides when placed in real football situations. The last practice the starters drove the field to kick a field goal in a two minute drill. Hearing sporadic success like that gets me excited about this offense. I just think in actual games, when the coaching staff really settles into what this offense has success with, and isn't worried about installing more or basically "practicing" they will find steady and consistent success against a defense that most of the time is going to be not quite as good as our second stringers, and definitely not as good as our starting 11 on defense.

Ask yourself how many points teams are going to score against us. . . Will this defense give up an average of 17 points per game? Will they win the turnover margin most games? Will there be enough big plays on offense to make up for the occasional errant throw or dropped pass? I think yes to all these questions.

I feel we will be shocked at how effective this offense is during the season even though they are not consistent in practice now. I also feel they will be able to play loose and aggressive because they will be able to trust that the defense will generally keep teams off the scoreboard most drives.

When the installation is finished, and the coaches have settled on the starting 11 on offense, I am super confident they will be a bear for defenses to contain on a consistent basis.

Drink up, Noles.

Football Notes, observations from FSU's first Jacksonville practice

Notes and observations from Wednesday's FSU practice at the Jaguars' facility:

ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT