ADVERTISEMENT

My take away from day 1 practice reports.

Not much to take away from RB's, OL, DL as mentioned in the reports so, we can get a small look at QB's, DB's, WR's, and TE's.

I saw a quite a few phrases like "made some contested catches" or "allowed some catches but made life hard for WR's"

I feel like this is exactly what we would hope to see, and far ahead of what we could hope for in day 1. In my opinion it sounds like we didn't see a ton of balls in the dirt, sailed passes, wide open receivers due to blown coverage, dropped balls, missed routes. . .etc.

If day one is a lot of defenders just missing int's, but the pass going for a completion, or a DB right in a WR's hip pocket, but he is able to make the catch, or a DB making a great play on a nicely thrown ball to bat it away at the last second, then I feel like it was (as Borat might put it) "Great Success."

If practices look like that early on, then the competitive spirit will really allow them to help each other improve, and hopefully when they play a team with lesser ability, they should be able to really take advantage of the growth they were able to achieve by going against top talent.

I know, I am always pretty optimistic, but I was very encouraged by the initial practice reports and was happy we didn't read a ton of errant passes and dropped balls. . .

Football Offensive observations from Florida State's first preseason practice

From the quarterbacks heating up to a number of WR/TE standouts, there was a lot to like about FSU's offense at this morning's first preseason practice.

In this story, you'll find extensive observations from the Osceola staff on the offensive side of the ball at this morning's practice.

Reactions: NoleJCIII

Commissioners approve expanding scholarship limit in football to 105 plus baseball (34) and softball (25)

Pretty big news, really

Via Yahoo Sports' Ross Dellenger:

Dozens more scholarship spots are coming to NCAA sports.

During a meeting Tuesday, power conference commissioners finalized new roster-size limits that pave the way for athletic departments to distribute millions of dollars in new scholarships to athletes in, most notably, football, baseball and softball. Conference officials with knowledge of the figures spoke to Yahoo Sports under condition of anonymity.

As part of the new revenue-sharing model — beginning in 2025-26 academic year — by-sport scholarship restrictions are eliminated, and schools are permitted to offer scholarships to the entirety of their rosters. The new roster limit figures are not final until the approval of House settlement terms.

Football, with a current scholarship restriction of 85, will now have a roster limit of 105 — a 20-scholarship increase for those schools willing to give the maximum. In an important note for football, the 105 may not be a requirement until the start of the competitive season, giving coaches flexibility to go beyond that figure during preseason camp, for instance.

Baseball, with a current scholarship restriction of 11.7, is expected to have a roster of 34. Scholarship spots for softball and volleyball, each currently at 12, will increase to 25 and 18, respectively.

In all, more than 60 additional scholarships are available for distribution in those five sports. As they do now, schools are not required to distribute scholarships to each player. For instance, many schools are unlikely to use a full 34 scholarships for baseball, choosing instead to offer grants to only a portion of its roster and leave walk-on opportunities.

Basketball FSU announces addition of Greek forward

FSU sports information:

Anastasios Rozakeas (6-7, 225), who will play for Greece in the FIBA U18 EuroBasket Championship in Finland beginning July 27, 2024, has signed a Grant in Aid to play basketball at Florida State for Head Coach Leonard Hamilton and his staff. He is one of Europe’s top young players who was named to the All-Tournament team at the Greek Rising Stars U18 tournament in 2024, and who led the Greek Olympiacos U18 team to go undefeated and win the 2024 Greek U18 Championship.

Rozakeas is a tall, lengthy player who moves effectively off-ball, navigates through screens and is an extremely good creator. He plays and executes pick and roll plays as well as any young player in Europe.

Rozakeas (Athens, Greece) played for the U18 Olympiacos Piraeus team in the 2024 ADIDAS Next Generation Tournament. He helped lead Olympiacos to a 2-2 record in the tournament. Rozakeas scored 19 points in a 92-65 victory over U18 Paris Basketball, 17 points against U18 Panathinaikos Athens, and 16 points against U18 Juventus.

“Anastasios brings a very mature mindset to our program,” said Hamilton. “He has the ability to play multiple positions – he can bring the ball up the court as well as rebound. He brings a complete skill set to our team – he is a good decision maker, a strong ball handler, can pass and shoot, and is well-schooled in the fundamentals of basketball. He’s going to fit in very well immediately with the players on our roster.”

Rozakeas played in the 2022 U16 Fiba European Championship. He currently plays on the Olympiacos S.F.P. Piraeus team with Americans Nigel Williams-Goss (Gonzaga), Moses Wright (Georgia Tech), Alec Peters (Valparaiso and the Phoenix Suns).

"I can’t wait to put all my passion on the court so I can make Florida State and our fans proud,” said Rozakeas. “The hard work, dedication and discipline that have brought me to FSU will continue to drive my efforts. I am confident that Coach Hamilton and Coach (Stan) Jones will elevate my performance to new heights. I am excited and honored to be a Seminole.”

Rozakeas will have the complete support of his family from around the world when he arrives at Florida State.

“We are delighted and honored that Anastasios has joined the Florida State program.” said his mom, Maria. “Florida State is an institution that will help Anastasios grow academically and athletically. We are confident that he is blessed with an experienced and enthusiastic coaching staff, and we are ready to support him all the way.”
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT