ADVERTISEMENT

2013/14 EPL thread

Gonna be a long year if things don't get turned around soon. I don't understand the lineup at all today, the league has balanced out and Moyes plays a soft team today, there are no more gimme's.

Ed, hats off. I think Arse and Tot have done well with their signings, I am still pissed that Ozil is at Arse and not United.

Ozil has shown great flair passing, but has been timid about shooting, and even today had a great chance that he blew. Still, he's better than anything else we have or had, so he's a plus. Just enjoying this early season success. This ties The Arsenal's club record of 8 straight EPL road wins.

Damn! Ozil opens his account for The Arsenal and they dispatch Napoli 2-0. Napoli who is second in the current Serie A table.

How long can this last? I feel like I'm dreaming; the first half they looked as good as any team I've ever seen.

And kudos to Celtic, who continue to torment Barca, even when they lose to them.

That was a bullshit red on Celtic.

I was hoping for a Celtic score, Celtic Park would have blown up.

Originally posted by Manch.:
That was a bullshit red on Celtic.

I was hoping for a Celtic score, Celtic Park would have blown up.
I disagree, kicking Neymar when down will draw the red every time.

Moyes needed something positive from the Ukraine today and didn't get it. Well, maybe he did..they didn't LOSE, at least, and that's positive.

And seeing the Noisy Neighbors get shellacked at HOME will help buoy spirits on the flight home, I'm sure.

Well, who would have thought going into this international break that The Arsenal and the Peasants would be tied at the top of the table (though Arse is nominally in first based on goals scored)? Certainly not this Gooner.

Nor did I see Southampton with the start they're having. Hope all this can continue.

Putting what they were calling their best possible side on the pitch at St. James, the best the Peasants could come up with was a draw against 10-man Newcastle? Wow.

Speaking of wow, Arsenals' first goal today was a thing of beauty. And Southampton is starting to look like a really good side that will give others fits.

It was going to be our strongest side before Lucas pulled out the birth of his child and Enrique picked up a knock in training. To be honest the whole team looked lethargic from the international break.

Congrats to the Liverpool boys, they are playing some good ball this year.

As for United, bleh. Does today's comeback count as a road win seeing that they came back while playing away from the Streford end?

Ronaldo just got jobbed on a PK, hip checked from behind while being one touch away from equalizing against Barca. Barca has gotten away with 3 or 4 calls in the last 5-10 minutes. Benzema just destroyed the crossbar from 25 yards out.

Peasants ARE looking good...damnit!
furious.r191677.gif
But gotta give credit where it's due.

Rooney's goal was sweet, as was the cross to Chicharito to win it. Buildup to Arsenal's second goal was beautiful.

Anyone see the controversy at the end of the Norwich game?

Wow! What a derby at the Stadium of Light. Outstanding goals, tough defense...and "Lambeau Leaps" to boot! Sunderland fans went bonkers; never seen an EPL match where fans pour onto the pitch after a goal like that. Good lead-in to Chelsea/Citeh.

Originally posted by minernole:
Our midfield was simply outclassed today
Yeah, they were, but I was a bit confused as to what Liverpool were trying to do in midfield.

I tell you what, though, Suarez is probably the best player in the Premier League. He is scary good every time he gets the ball. He's probably the most intelligent player I've seen in the way he uses dummies and the ball's momentum to his advantage. I think I've read somewhere that defenders say he is the hardest player to defend because he's a constant terror for 90 minutes.

Who would have bet money that at this point of the season The Arsenal would be five points clear? Not this supporter, that's for sure.

And did you see the goal scored by the keeper in the Sunderland game? Howler City!!

Originally posted by seminoleed:
Who would have bet money that at this point of the season The Arsenal would be five points clear? Not this supporter, that's for sure.

And did you see the goal scored by the keeper in the Sunderland game? Howler City!!
Who would've thought that United would have sucked it like they have, hopefully they've turned that corner. Other than Arse, the top 8 teams are all cluster f*cked together. This is a huge match for United on Sunday, they can't drop 11 points down and expect to over come that with so many teams within that 5-8 point difference from the top.

Ed, I gave Liverpool a thumbs up, so it's only more than fair to give Arse a pat on the back. Ozil has really made a huge difference for the Gunners! I watched old Arse friend, Manuel Almunia (Watford) play against Brighton a few weeks ago. Michael Schmeichel's kid, Kasper is tearing it up for Leicester.

That was one hell of a goal from Begovic. Heck, he has more goals than Nani, Carrick, Cleverley, Young, Rio, Vidic, Anderson, Evans, Fabio, Rafael, Lindegaard, De Gea, Zaha, Jones, Smalling, Buttner, Fellaini, Giggs, Kagawa, and Evra... COMBINED!

I love the ON DEMAND replays of the matches on Comcast. The only thing that sucks, is that if the game is televised live, they do not offer that game on ON DEMAND. I tried catching the end of that Sunderland match last week and it wasn't offered.

I see that Joe Hart will sit against CSKA this week. His 2nd straight benching, and he's the top 3 Lions keeper, time to get Ben Amos out there.

How did United, City, Chelsea and Tottenham all avoid each other in the League Cup draw? Tottenham will be at home vs the Hammers, while United travels to Stoke, City goes to Kasper's Leicester and Chelsea will go to the winner of Sunderland/Southampton. It could be one hell of a semi-final group.

I really miss the Golden Goal! The Spurs would have lost to Hull (although the 8-7 PK's was awesome).

Damned if The Arsenal, not playing their best, drop Dortmund on the road 1-0. This series is one of the better team losing. This win is the kind United used to pull off regularly. Like our Noles, I've become a true believer. Bring on the Red Devils!

Your serve, Manch.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Ed, after all these years, it appears you mostly post when Arse wins, how the hell do you have 7,500 post?
laugh.r191677.gif

The thing I really hate, is that when the top 6-7 teams play each other, the game ends up on Sunday. I hate waiting until Sunday.

Ed, after all these years, it appears you mostly post when Arse wins, how the hell do you have 7,500 post?
laugh.r191677.gif

The thing I really hate, is that when the top 6-7 teams play each other, the game ends up on Sunday. I hate waiting until Sunday.
It's simple, really. See Caucus, Raucus. That and the American Rules Football boards are where I accumulate most of mine.

Bastage.
wink.r191677.gif

I might return to the RC seeing that the San Fran, choir boy, c*cksucker has taken his ball gag and went home. I stayed away from there so that I didn't get banned for good. I was on triple secret probation.

I might return to the RC seeing that the San Fran, choir boy, c*cksucker has taken his ball gag and went home. I stayed away from there so that I didn't get banned for good. I was on triple secret probation.
Well said.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Damned if The Arsenal, not playing their best, drop Dortmund on the road 1-0. This series is one of the better team losing. This win is the kind United used to pull off regularly. Like our Noles, I've become a true believer. Bring on the Red Devils!

Your serve, Manch.
3dgrin.r191677.gif
I'm with you and have noticed how good it feels. As a Gooner and a Nole, it's crazy that both are having great seasons, so far, after both going through such long droughts. It's a nice ride to be on right now....
This post was edited on 11/7 6:31 PM by TexasGooner

Originally posted by TexasGooner:

Your serve, Manch.
3dgrin.r191677.gif
I'm with you and have noticed how good it feels. As a Gooner and a Nole, it's crazy that both are having great seasons, so far, after both going through such long droughts. It's a nice ride to be on right now....
Originally posted by TexasGooner:

Your serve, Manch.
3dgrin.r191677.gif
And the real beauty of it is that we didn't really see this coming, especially The Arsenal. When I think back to how I felt after that opening drilling at the Emirates by Villa, I look where they are now and pinch myself. Two magical seasons thus far--hope there's enough pixie dust left to see them both through.

I know we were all reveling in our rout of Weak Forest and enjoying the misery that is University of Flawida football, but did anyone see the end of the Chelsea/WBA match? Very suspicious call, IMHO.

Bogus, was that Ashley Young out there in a Blues kit?

I love the NBC coverage, watched the 2nd half of Norwich/Hammers yesterday.

Doing stuff around the quiet house now and the Sunderland/City match is on. Everyone comes home at 11:00.
mad.r191677.gif

Phil Bardsley (goal), Wes Brown and John O'Shea anchor a stingy Sunderland defense to a shock win against City. Why doesn't United get players like that?

This post was edited on 11/10 11:02 AM by Manch.

Now that it's the international break, any thoughts/predictions on the UEFA playoff stage?

Uruguay/Jordan?

Mexico (I still can't believe the Osama's let these guys off the hook)/New Zealand?

Round 1:

Greece 2-0 Romania (Greece should advance)
Portugal 2-1 Sweden (Would like to see Ronnie and Nani move on, but I think that Sweden and Ibra wins this overall tie)
Ukraine 2-1 France (No Henry handball to save them this time)
Iceland 1-2 Croatia (On paper, the Yugoslavians advance easily, but the Naridills make it closer than most think)

Mexico 3-0 New Zealand (Chicarito's brace and a missed PK)

Jordan 0-6 Uruguay (Kunt Aguerro's team doesn't lose on the road this time)

Manch,
didn't realize you did predics in here.

For tomorrow, Portugal by far under the most pressure with an unlucky home tie to start, after choking on their defensive tactics in the group stage.
If they play attacking football, which there is no reason to believe they will, they win easy. Sweden doesn't have the defense Portugal has. But if Portugal plays uber defensive lazy possession then it's gonna be a tough tie to win as you said.

POrtugal 2-1.
Greece 1-0
Ukraine 1-1.
Croatia 2-1.

Would love to see Iceland and Ukraine get home wins, at least make second leg relevant, and perhaps to help US down the road should they draw them.

Shocking score by Uruguay. New Zealand is awful and OCeania should be in Asia Federation, they don't deserve a playoff spot for WC. FIFA needs to change this.
Honestly though mexico doing well in Brazil helps CONCACAF so i'm ok with it once every four years.

did you see that Mexico kept all of their European based players off the roster? I wonder if this carries through to the WC.

Didn't realize that but I know players like Vela have been bizarrely unpatriotic saying they would refuse Mexico call up. Craziness there's a lot going on there I don't understand
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Re: 2013/14 EPL thread/

Here is the story on Mexico not including the Euro based players. Not sure what Vela's deal is, but it looks like he won't get a WC invite.

story

Thanks for the link, interesting.

Crazy stuff today, just watched Portugal live, then US on delay.

Portugal....so miserable predictable first half, no creativity in middle no service to ronaldo the usual. Sweden had some life early, then last 30 minutes Portugal dominated, CR7 finally broke the draw on a great goal, (Why he doesn't play center forward for POR i'l never know) and should have added a second unlucky to hit crossbar. Portugal got the result but really should have won by 2 hopefully that won't screw them. Sweden far from dead though they seemed inept on offense and Ibra wasn't really into it. Why POrtugal crossed so much was strange, Portugal has a tiny midfield and target man vs Sweden's huge giants. 14 corners, and Portugal got their head on like 2. Ronaldos goal was diving header off a low cross run of play. POrtugal must be more direct at Stockholm or this tie may not be over. First 20 minutes will be big.

Ukraine, who knew? I rate Koscielny as the worst CB in England so seeing another red from him just cracks me up. France all to do now vs a very tactically compact Ukraine.

Iceland 0-0 well done, still alive.

Greece offensive explosion, amazingly ESPN said Greece scored 3 goals for first time in all of qualifying! Romania has to open up should be fun second leg.

ESPN2 picked up Portugal/Sweden leg 2 on tuesday, should be a fun final day for Europe.

Where did you pick up the Port/Sweden game? I saw it was on ESPN deportes, but I don't get the Spanish channels. Great to see the 2nd leg get picked up by ESPN2, I have Tuesday off. I was surprised that none of the 4 Euro qualifiers were on TV.

I love CR7, and it's funny, my wife asked how come he plays wide and not in the middle like Messi does.

CR was well guarded on his goal and did well to get down and head that ball in.

France, Croatia and Sweden not getting away goals really forces their hands. Nice to see France lose, especially at the way the got in last time around. France is loaded and it would be a major surprise to see them left out. I would have liked Sweden and France to switch ties, as possibly not having CR or Ibra in the WC is a bit of a let down. I think Koscielny has played a lot better for Arse this year, did he not get a yellow on the PK and then a straight red in stoppage time? I am watching the highlights now and that was poor keeping by Lloris, he should have had that dribbler. Abidal was lucky to not get a PK drawn against him in 75th. How does Koscielny no get booked on the PK offense?

I would have liked to see Denmark playing instead of Iceland, but losing 4-0 at home to Armenia killed them.

Greece picked up their first 3 goal game and Iceland had their fewest touches inside the 18 than they had in any of their previous qualifiers.Greece had 8 clean sheets out of 10 qualifying matches and finished tied for the group lead, losing on GD. Dzeko had 10 goals in 10 matches has Bosnia scored 30 goals in a very weak Group G.

I didn't watch the USA/Scotland match, although I did catch a great save by Howard on the Snodgrass free kick.

Is Rossi ever going to play for the Azzurri, he would be the Star for the Stars and Stripes. Kooter, besides Brooks, who are other players contemplating playing for the US vs playing for other nations?

As far as Mexico, it will be interesting to see who they will use in the WC. Hernandez was ineligible for the first Kiwi match, but I would think that Mexican club players will leave them with a 3 and done in Brazil.

Britain be better off using the Mexico method, and playing with a team that is made up of 2-3 different EPL teams, I do not see them going far at all in Brazil. Argentina is loaded with goal scorers, but again, they probably won't make it past the quarters.

Is it too late to take the WC away from Qatar and give it the US? I do not want to see a November WC, period. That would wreck havoc on domestic league play.

Is Rossi ever going to play for the Azzurri, he would be the Star for the Stars and Stripes. Kooter, besides Brooks, who are other players contemplating playing for the US vs playing for other nations?
Isn't there a German kid who needs to decide? Or has that boat already left the dock?

I sure like what I've seen of the Icelandic kid. He's raw, but talented.

John Brooks (defender) plays in Germany (Hertha BSC) and is eligible to play for Germany and the US, he has played recently for the US in a friendly, but does not have an official FIFA cap for the US. He was born and raised in Germany, to an American serviceman. Before he officially became property of the USMNT, he was torn between choosing which country to play for.

Aron Johannsson choose the US over Iceland, who could have used him against Croatia. Johannsson was called up by Iceland in July for a couple of WCQ matches, but did not play due to a groin injury. He was called up by the US in October for a WCQ against Panama and in the 62nd minute, he officially became a US capped player, and scored the game winner in the 94th minute (4th minute of Azteca time), knocking the Canals out of 4th place and putting the Peso Pheasants into a playoff with the Kiwis (Zusi's equaliser actually put the Chanting bin Laden's on top). AJ is raw, but he has excited me in his limited time with the US squad. Aron was born in the US to Icelandic parents and was raised in Iceland. His choosing to play for the US caused a great deal of heartache on the tiny green rock of Iceland (where, BTW, there is very little ice)...... (Iceland should be called Greenland, and Greenland should be called Iceland).

I can't find a list of players choosing between the US and another country, but here are two players who decided to play elsewhere instead of the US. Rossi is 1 of them, who chose Italy (and was left off of the 2010 Italian WC roster and likely won't see playing time in 2014, and then there's Neven Subotic:

*********lived in FLA a few years, played on US U21 team before deciding to ditch us for his birth country of Serbia, allegedly based on negative public comments of a then-US coach (Tom Rongren, another guy with ties to DC United). He's a starting defender for Borussia Dortmond, which was in the Champions League final and also won the Bundesliga last year (and #2 this year). He'd instantly be our best defender.

Don't forget Freddie "I wish he was bidding " Adu to somewhere else.

Watched the games on ESPN3, hooked up to tv. Wish we got Deportes here. Glad Portugal on ESPN2 tomorrow though.

Julian Green is the latest american abroad young star deciding, he's 18, plays for Bayern Munich, declined US invite few weeks ago said he's a year away from deciding which country.

Brooks got the cold shoulder from Germany so even if he's not officially capped yet we should keep him.

Fabian Hurzeler is another teenage Bayern Munich kid born in US, he's eligible for U20 next year and US will go after him.

Copenhagen center back, starting, Delaney is eligible but declined US so far. Denmark missing WC may have him rethink that but that was his first choice.

Adam Henley Blackburn right back is a stud, can do Wales or US, so far non committal, but can't see him picking Wales since he wasn't born there and he'll never make a big tourney with them.

Aldredo Morales Hertha CB, has played youth US, no senior cap yet.

Will Packwood, Birmingham, CB/MF, 20 now, most of life in US, up and comer Birmingham won't transfer him they like him too much. He should be capped soon if you ask me just to tie him in case he blows up.

US just lost that Bijev kid from Liverpool, very suspiciously. He had said USA was it when he was ready, then last year liverpool loaned him somewhere to get paperwork ready to transfer in, and he suddenly decided to play for Bulgaria U23 i think it was. Us Soccer was shocked would be an understatement.

Lots of other kids we've recently lost or are too difficult to get into US camp from various citizenship headaches or love of another country. Few from Asia talented but laws too hard to get.

As far as World Cup Qatar. Everyone knows it was bought, but FIFA will NEVER relent and admit it was dumb to the point they take it away. Doesn't matter what they find. And UEFA has been talking a big game but push comes to shove is in their back pocket. A Nov/Dec world cup would be a disaster but until Conmebol and UEFA join the US in boycotting it, it's gonna happen. Unless they are being bribed too i can't see why they are allowing it, the longer they sit by the less likely a remote change of venue is. The World Cup will devastate their domestic leagues, sponsors, tv deals, etc.... it should be the world vs Qatar and the fact it's not disappoints and concerns me.

Egypt just qualified by beating Michael Essien and Ghana, 2-1.

Algeria is up 1-0 on Burkina Faso, but the aggregate is 3-3 and BF has 3 away goals.

CR and Ibra is just starting. Iceland is all square with Croatia, nope, Croatia just went up 1-0 in the 30th. Iceland could really use a player like Aron Johannsson at this point. An away goal and Iceland could book their ticket to Brasil.

Greece is looking good, up 1-0.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT