ADVERTISEMENT

2013/14 EPL thread

Well, we now know Arsenal's game doesn't work real well in a typhoon.

And Mike Dean must be from the Howard Webb school of bizarre officiating. Chelsea should've been 10 man after 20 minutes.

And Arsenal own first place all by their lonesomes on Boxing Day! This, to me, has been as unexpected as our football team's dominating season.

I'll enjoy it while it lasts, as I fear our lack of depth is going to rise up and bite us before it's all over. Maybe Wenger has something up his sleeve for the winter transfer window.

Originally posted by seminoleed:
Sadly, must now swallow the bile and root for Citeh against the Peasants.
Disgusting, isn't it?

I love this NBCSN Live Extra stuff, I can streamline the United game right to the TV.

This post was edited on 12/28 1:23 PM by Manch.

This post was edited on 12/28 1:23 PM by Manch.

Never seen a top of the table team play 15 minutes of kickball before. Arse held on.

When that deflection from the clearance went just wide, my heart had stopped beating for a moment. I'll take 3 precious road points anytime. Now, if the Peasants and Chelsea can just play to a draw, the day's even sweeter.

One thing I think we can all agree on is that if the 2nd half of the campaign is as tight as the 1st half has been we'll it'll be the most exciting/tightest race in BPL history. Top 8 separated by 9 points. Spots 4 through 8 separated by 4 points and Top 3 separated by 2 points. For once the old cliche about every game meaning something is actually going to be true.

Also the bottom half is just as tight as everyone from 10th place Hull (23 points) to bottom Sunderland (14 points) are all going to be fighting for their lives every week to avoid being in the relegation talk.

I actually think there may be more player movement than normal in Jan. as a result of the relative closeness of all 20 teams in the BPL this year. Not expecting huge names to appear, but would not be surprised to see 2-3 players shifting around for just about every squad (both adding and subtracting).

For Chelsea I'm hoping for just a small tinker or 2. Word going around is that Essien is going to leave so I'm hoping that Chelsea is able to sign someone who is able to fill a back 6 spot regardless of where on the back line or holding MF spots. I'd also like to see us complete the signing of LB Luke Shaw (Southampton) and loan him back for the rest of the campaign so that he's already in place to replace Cole as the permanent LB starting in the summer.

Originally posted by Rishi:
One thing I think we can all agree on is that if the 2nd half of the campaign is as tight as the 1st half has been we'll it'll be the most exciting/tightest race in BPL history. Top 8 separated by 9 points. Spots 4 through 8 separated by 4 points and Top 3 separated by 2 points. For once the old cliche about every game meaning something is actually going to be true.

Also the bottom half is just as tight as everyone from 10th place Hull (23 points) to bottom Sunderland (14 points) are all going to be fighting for their lives every week to avoid being in the relegation talk.

I actually think there may be more player movement than normal in Jan. as a result of the relative closeness of all 20 teams in the BPL this year. Not expecting huge names to appear, but would not be surprised to see 2-3 players shifting around for just about every squad (both adding and subtracting).

For Chelsea I'm hoping for just a small tinker or 2. Word going around is that Essien is going to leave so I'm hoping that Chelsea is able to sign someone who is able to fill a back 6 spot regardless of where on the back line or holding MF spots. I'd also like to see us complete the signing of LB Luke Shaw (Southampton) and loan him back for the rest of the campaign so that he's already in place to replace Cole as the permanent LB starting in the summer.
Agree with you about the races. Every weekend, and occasional midweek, fixture will be important, unlike seasons past when someone had usually put themselves so far in front that only a disaster of monumental proportions would change that. The old saying that the Premiership is a marathon, not a sprint, has never been truer than this year.

COYG!

agreed, been great to watch so far, several teams in title hunt, several teams in relegation battle, perfect can't ask for more!

I can't believe Everton has had horrid results to the Sunderlands/West broms/Norwich/Cardiffs as usual of the world and is still in CL/Title hunt, very exciting. Big road test at Stoke tomorrow for them need to get a win streak going. If they want CL must win these games, 6th place last two years didn't even get Europa!

Arsenal is the walking wounded now i wonder who they'll buy, if anyone this week? They need help in midfield bad.

Moyes and Man U keep getting gifted chokes by the teams ahead of them. They have no business in the title hunt but they still are in it, crazy as that seemed a month ago.

Also expect to see a ton of transfers this week by fringe national team players looking to impress World Cup coaches. Winter transfers before world cups are always full of loans and even some signings.

Happy new year to all the football fanatics!

LMAO. Bendtner subs in, scores the go ahead goal in the 88th minute and injures himself in the celebration and has to come off. Only Arsenal.
rolleyes.r191677.gif

On the bright side, a win's a win, and Gunners stay top of the table in the new year.

Well, that's the best The Arsenal have played in a month. Luvs me some Spuds for dinner. Hopefully Walcott's knee isn't an issue for too long.

David Moyes would appear to be in way over his head at ManU. Ol' Whisky Nose didn't look very happy leaving OT.

Though I thought it was justified, does anyone think that red would have been shown if SAF still patrolled the touchline? Refs don't fear Moyes like they did Fergie.

If Moyes doesn't overturn disaster in first cup leg at Sunderland id fire him. Only time I've rooted for a Manchester final and united doesn't show up. Hopefully city does today or else another sacrificial lamb to Europa next season.
United look a mess
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Chelsea's top of the table (even if it only lasts 24-48 hrs) for the first time since it seems like week 3 (not sure of exact date).

Huge showdown with United next week so getting the full 3 points today was imperative.

Not a great showing by Chelsea today, but Hazard's been making a case this last month or so for why he should be right up there with Suarez for Player of the Year in the BPL.

Cech also breaks the Chelsea record for clean sheets and he's 20 away from the BPL record. Not sure if he'll get it in Chelsea Blue as I suspect he's gone in the summer to pave the way for Courtois (my preference), but I could have the scenario exactly reversed.

Wow, Klinsmann voted for: 1. Ribery, 2. Bale and 3. Falcao. Stunning, just stunning. The extended voting period raised that total numbers of ballots from 50% to 88%.

Gunners back on top. United and Chlesea are next up. Rooney and Bambi better be f*cking playing

Looks like United are going to be shorthanded for their big clash with Chelsea on Sunday as Rooney, RVP and Fellaini all won't be available.

I'll be interested to see if Moyes will use Kagawa in the 10 hole for the full 90.

Chelsea will be without Lampard and Ivanovic due to their injuries, but look to be in much better shape as Lampard wasn't guaranteed to start (but would have been on the bench if healthy) and while Ivanovc would have started we have a much better replacement in Ashley Cole (with Cesar Azpilicueta assuming his natural RB role).

Looking like Chelsea will start newly (re)acquired Matic on Sunday (what a fixture to be welcomed back). In addition, it looks like Mourihno has finally settled on an front 4 of Hazard, Oscar, Willian and Torres. Assuming Matic's will settle in alongside Ramires for the majority of the big fixtures the rest of the way (excluding UCL since he is cup-tied having played for Benfica in the competition).

Completely, off topic here, but was just looking as some future fixtures for the top sides in the BPL and Arsenal has got a Brutal stretch starting mid-March. These are 5 consecutive fixtures scheduled as of this writing (could change due to potential future FA Cup fixtures or UCL - should they advance):

1) 2nd leg at Bayern Munich (March 11);
2) at Spurs (March 15);
3) at Chelsea (Mar 22);
4) host City (Mar 29);
5) at Everton (April 5).

That's the best club in the world plus teams that are currently 2nd, 3rd, 6th and 5th in the BPL table. With 6th being only 8 points back of Arsenal's current top spot.

Get through that stretch within say 3 points of top spot and Arsenal supporters will probably like their chances even more than they do right now to capture the BPL.

Originally posted by Rishi:
Looks like United are going to be shorthanded for their big clash with Chelsea on Sunday as Rooney, RVP and Fellaini all won't be available.

I'll be interested to see if Moyes will use Kagawa in the 10 hole for the full 90.

Chelsea will be without Lampard and Ivanovic due to their injuries, but look to be in much better shape as Lampard wasn't guaranteed to start (but would have been on the bench if healthy) and while Ivanovc would have started we have a much better replacement in Ashley Cole (with Cesar Azpilicueta assuming his natural RB role).

Looking like Chelsea will start newly (re)acquired Matic on Sunday (what a fixture to be welcomed back). In addition, it looks like Mourihno has finally settled on an front 4 of Hazard, Oscar, Willian and Torres. Assuming Matic's will settle in alongside Ramires for the majority of the big fixtures the rest of the way (excluding UCL since he is cup-tied having played for Benfica in the competition).

Completely, off topic here, but was just looking as some future fixtures for the top sides in the BPL and Arsenal has got a Brutal stretch starting mid-March. These are 5 consecutive fixtures scheduled as of this writing (could change due to potential future FA Cup fixtures or UCL - should they advance):

1) 2nd leg at Bayern Munich (March 11);
2) at Spurs (March 15);
3) at Chelsea (Mar 22);
4) host City (Mar 29);
5) at Everton (April 5).

That's the best club in the world plus teams that are currently 2nd, 3rd, 6th and 5th in the BPL table. With 6th being only 8 points back of Arsenal's current top spot.

Get through that stretch within say 3 points of top spot and Arsenal supporters will probably like their chances even more than they do right now to capture the BPL.
Yep. Arsenal won't have anything given to them--they'll have to EARN it. And as much as I love them, they MUST have more help. Wenger can't go through this transfer window without shoring up some holes that are injury prone.

And that 2-0 derby win keeps them in first place for yet another week. Was shocked to hear that Fulham has NEVER won at Arsenal, either at the Emirates or Highbury. And only 4 or 5 draws at that.

Dempsey was non-existent for them today. Disappointed in his performance, for sure.

Moyes is a nightmare. I could not loathe United anymore after sending yet another crap team to Europa next season which I'm sure will cost Perennial 6th Everton a spot! unreal they are awful.

Originally posted by kooterridesagain:
Hopefully fa cup ends better and a spot stays in EPL for a change.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com
At this point, United fans must be beyond all hope. What a way to lose...had it won, then losing in extra time, then tying at the death to get to a shootout, only to miss more PK's than I've ever seen. United fans have to be apoplectic at this point.

Looking more and more likely that Chelsea will sell Mata to United. (still not official as of this posting)

I don't like the move b/c looking at United's roster other than Januzaj, there isn't anyone who they can build their future around (offensively). Given them Mata means they have a center piece to build around.

Now maybe I'm just cynical, but if I was selling Mata (and I have no problem doing that as he's too good of a player to rot on the subs bench), I'd sell him anywhere out of the BPL's reach. I'd also put a clause in the sale that says he can't be sold to any team that can play in the BPL until summer 2020 and if he is Chelsea gets 50M pounds. I hate the fact that Chelsea will likely have to play against him at least twice a campaign for the foreseeable future (assuming the sale goes through).

I'd take less to sell him to eg. PSG or somewhere in Italy or Athletico. I'd propose to do a swap of Mata for Diego Costa (with cash added one way or even another player eg. Torres - rumoured he might go back should Athletico sell Costa). Propose Costa and say 10M Euros for Mata and Torres.

Rishi,
I agree I'm surprised Mata stays in EPL, 37 mill. Msybe there is a clause but unusual for that kind if money. United still needs a better two way box to box midfielder to start over England star Carrick, eww. And an attacking mid opposite the young guy. Young, Valencia and many of those mids are expendable id start the fire sale if I were Moyes. Rooney too. Moyes survives the week he's safe another year it seems unless they miss Europa too

Great tactics by Martinez in a huge darby.
B teamers Stone and Alcaraz getting first start together so why not play an offside trap at Liverpool high up the field? How Moyes of him. They had no shot and never play that way. Reckless gamble by Everton coaches.

Lukaku out a long while prob ends top 4 hopes now it's finish 5th get Europa only prayer. No idea who will score now though Lukaku was ice cold the last month.

Wow, Chelsea shuts out the Neighbors at the Etihad. Who'd a thunk it? So The Arsenal returns to first for a week. This race changes as much as the stock market.

Originally posted by Manch.:
At least the Gunners can get back on track tomorrow.
Yeah, but I ain't holding my breath. Arsenal have been exposed for their lack of depth and overall quality the last few weeks.

It was fun while it lasted, and they still have a decent shot at third place.

And having said that, damned if Chelsea gets held to a 1-1 draw at WBA, and somehow, miraculously, The Arsenal would be back in first with a win tomorrow. Let's see how they hold up.

Wow, left the house with about 5 to go and the Blues were up 1-0. Good for WBA!

Excellent match today. Both sides played hard, and the keepers should have been named co-Men of the Match. Felt like The Arsenal should have been awarded a PK with about 15 to go, but what the hey--fun match to watch.

So, in the round of 16 in the FA Cup, the top 4 EPL teams all drew each other. Of course Voyeur specializes in failing, so it'll be interesting to see if the Gunners can rebound from that earlier loss to the Scousers.

The match that I am intrigued with, features a couple blasts from the past and a couple of teams that I would love to see back in the EPL, Sheffield United v Nottingham Forest at Bramall Lane (the Tricky Trees haven't lost a league match since November 29th) and the Blades are the only team currently playing in a division lower than the League Championship . Also, at Hillsborough, Sheffield Wednesday (another favorite of mine from the past) is hosting Charlton Athletic.

Originally posted by Manch.:
So, in the round of 16 in the FA Cup, the top 4 EPL teams all drew each other. Of course Voyeur specializes in failing, so it'll be interesting to see if the Gunners can rebound from that earlier loss to the Scousers.

The match that I am intrigued with, features a couple blasts from the past and a couple of teams that I would love to see back in the EPL, Sheffield United v Nottingham Forest at Bramall Lane (the Tricky Trees haven't lost a league match since November 29th) and the Blades are the only team currently playing in a division lower than the League Championship . Also, at Hillsborough, Sheffield Wednesday (another favorite of mine from the past) is hosting Charlton Athletic.
Rebound they do, sending the Peasants packing with a 2-1 loss. The Arsenal now draws Everton next month in the quarters.

COYG!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT