ADVERTISEMENT

2015 Braves Thread

Braves pitching is silly bad.
I feel bad for Fredi Gonzales at this point. Not like he can do anything. He just has terrible players. Kinda feel like they are the Cleveland Indians in major league.

Well then, I guess there's only one thing left to do.

Reactions: trefeet
The ones to feel badly for are Freeman and Simmons.
Honestly wouldn't be surprised to see them be dealt next year if they suck again. Could get a lot of young talent for them. Just depends on if they truly think 2017 they will compete or if things are worse than expected. Not sure how quickly they can turn this around. Missing a lot of pieces currently.

Yankees_Braves_Baseball.JPE1.JPG

Fan dies after fall from upper deck at Atlanta Braves game
2:14 a.m. Sunday, Aug. 30, 2015 | Filed in: News

ATLANTA — A fan died after falling from the upper deck into the lower-level stands at Turner Field on Saturday night during a game between the Atlanta Braves and New York Yankees.

Lt. Charles Hampton of the Atlanta Police Department homicide unit confirmed the death hours after the fall in the seventh inning.

Hampton said the man was in his early 60s and was pronounced dead at Grady Memorial Hospital. There was no immediate word on his identity pending notification of his next of kin.

http://www.ajc.com/ap/ap/top-news/fan-falls-from-upper-deck-in-atlanta-taken-to-hosp/nnTKs/

Braves totally screwed up by not dealing Teheran in the off season when he was valued at a #1 or #2 starter. Dude is in a major decline.

Have the Braves given up or once you trade all reliable relief pitching away is it just that hard to win in the majors? Gave up 38 runs in 3 games to the Yanks.

Used to be if you tried to trade away all your good players, the Commissioner stepped in and nullified the deals. Those were the good ol' days I guess.

Used to be if you tried to trade away all your good players, the Commissioner stepped in and nullified the deals. Those were the good ol' days I guess.
The future prospects hopefully will pan out but man watching them stink is hard. Guess I was super spoiled growing up during their NL east run.

Braves totally screwed up by not dealing Teheran in the off season when he was valued at a #1 or #2 starter. Dude is in a major decline.

Have to disagree. For the month of August, Teheran had been 3-0 (with two NDs), lowered his ERA by almost half a run, hadn't given up more than 3 runs, and went at least 6 innings each outing. And that is with 2 road starts. He's had some rough outings, but seems to be getting back to the norm/expectations. This whole series was fubar and I won't stress over his performance too much. I still think Teheran has a future as a #2 or #3 with the Braves, and that he'd be in the same position elsewhere.

Last night was a performance we have seen more regularly from Teheran on the road. The difference in how he pitches at home vs away has been bogglingly.
"bogglingly"??? The Braves are horrible ... watching their games allows me to get a lot of reading done.

Only 12,000 showed up yesterday to watch another loss. Looked pathetic on tv, and I don't blame any fans for not wanting to witness this sh*tstorm in person. Seems like every game has more away fans than Braves fans now. On the bright side, keep moving on up to a better draft slot. But, Hart will probably use it on the top rated Tommy John pitcher who may or may not be ready by 2023.

Was looking at some stats: the attendance was the lowest of the second half of season with few games even coming close (the closest were two 13,000 games against the Rockies, but they were last week); only the Phillies have a worst run differential; no team has scored fewer runs; only 4 teams have given up more runs; no team has hit fewer homeruns (and it isn't even close).

Tonight, we get to see Olivera play. Let's see what the front office was so enamored with...

What does that have to do with the difference in Terheran's numbers home vs road?
Well, I have no idea what "bogglingly" means ... is that a predicate adjective, a noun, or an adverb? If the latter, what, in your sentence, does it modify?

Well, Olivera fits right in, 0-4 with a strikeout. Even the ESPN write up makes fun of the Braves saying "at least they avoided a second straight shutout" and calling the team hapless. Congrats, Hart, the Braves are the laughing stock of Major League Baseball.

Well, Olivera fits right in, 0-4 with a strikeout. Even the ESPN write up makes fun of the Braves saying "at least they avoided a second straight shutout" and calling the team hapless. Congrats, Hart, the Braves are the laughing stock of Major League Baseball.
Braves announcers were commenting on what a great job Hart is doing building for the future. Huh?

Braves announcers were commenting on what a great job Hart is doing building for the future. Huh?

Spin, spin, spin. Have to toe that company line. I watched a bit, to see Olivera, and did hear the announcers talk about this is what was done in the late 80s and early 90s, by building through pitching. I understand that, and I can see the end game of hopefully producing a solid team in 2017 or 2018, but Hart doesn't need to lie to the fans and say this isn't a rebuild and the team will be competitive the entire time. We, the fans, knew this year would not be, but the team exceeded expectations in the beginning, but when Grilli went down, Hart said "screw it" and traded everyone. As the old saying goes, "don't piss on my back and tell me it's raining."

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Should I be excited about this Hector Olivera character? Keep hearing hype about him, but don't know much other than we gave up a good IF prospect to get him.

Should I be excited about this Hector Olivera character? Keep hearing hype about him, but don't know much other than we gave up a good IF prospect to get him.

Obviously, yes. I mean, he's only 30 and yesterday was his first MLB game. He has a hit today with 2 rbis so far! That puts him near the team lead in each category for the second half of the season!

On a serious note, also gave up Wood for him who is only 24 and has, I think, 4 more years of control, but has a weird arm motion that concerns some. (yet weird arm motions and Tommy John/possible Tommy John surgeries haven't scared Hart from 2/3 of his other trades).

One positive for today, is that after the Braves lose, the Marlins will be ahead in the standings and one step closer to the #1 pick!

Reactions: DFSNOLE
One positive for today, is that after the Braves lose, the Marlins will be ahead in the standings and one step closer to the #1 pick!

what are we looking at in terms of prospects and that #1 pick?

Obviously, yes. I mean, he's only 30 and yesterday was his first MLB game. He has a hit today with 2 rbis so far! That puts him near the team lead in each category for the second half of the season!

On a serious note, also gave up Wood for him who is only 24 and has, I think, 4 more years of control, but has a weird arm motion that concerns some. (yet weird arm motions and Tommy John/possible Tommy John surgeries haven't scared Hart from 2/3 of his other trades).

yea, the 30 year old thing made me wonder for sure. I don't know how this team is going to be any better next year, unless they just pounce on free agents and make a bunch of trades. These guys are awful.

what are we looking at in terms of prospects and that #1 pick?

The MLB draft is the most up in the air of any professional sports draft. No one would have predicted Dansby Swanson at #1 for the 2015 draft at this point last (and I say that with great confidence, living in his hometown and knowing his brother). The top tier prospects are usually known, but draft position can greatly fluctuate and the high school ranks can greatly change. Looking at early lists, the top end is very pitching heavy with the consensus seeming to be right-handed pitchers from Oklahoma and Georgia and left-handed pitcher from Florida for the college ranks, and a couple high school pitchers in the mix as well. Top end position players are lacking, but the draft is apparently deep there, just not in the top 10.

yea, the 30 year old thing made me wonder for sure. I don't know how this team is going to be any better next year, unless they just pounce on free agents and make a bunch of trades. These guys are awful.

As to this post, looking at next years crop of free agents, I'd rather the team just wait for the 2017 season or even 2018 to spend. The biggest and best names are former Braves (Upton and Heyward) or David Price, who the Braves can't afford. Braves can use next year to keep developing the young pitchers in the minors and then use to trade in 2017 or 2018 and really go for sustained success.

After being embarrassed in back to back sweeps by the Yankees and Marlins, I feel this quote from on of my favorite childhood movies, Heavyweights, sums up the Braves, "Lunch is cancelled due to lack of hustle. Deal with it."

As to this post, looking at next years crop of free agents, I'd rather the team just wait for the 2017 season or even 2018 to spend. The biggest and best names are former Braves (Upton and Heyward) or David Price, who the Braves can't afford. Braves can use next year to keep developing the young pitchers in the minors and then use to trade in 2017 or 2018 and really go for sustained success.

"can't afford..."

How frustrating.

I remember the days when that's what we said about other teams. Just let me know when we can have Ted Turner back.

"can't afford..."

How frustrating.

I remember the days when that's what we said about other teams. Just let me know when we can have Ted Turner back.
Atlanta is 1.5 games ahead of Philadelphia, a mockery of a sham of two travesties ball club and the worst team in the league

Only can think 2016 season will be worse. Don't see them spending $$ this off season.

Only can think 2016 season will be worse. Don't see them spending $$ this off season.
15-1 loss to Nationals ... how could it get any worse than what we have seen the last 8 games?

is this really due - in most part - to Wren and his awful moves? That coupled with Bobby Cox retiring and the last of the old guard leaving the game has left this team in utter shambles. It's actually rather embarrassing. Reminds me of those 80s teams before they started the run.

Maybe fans should show up with the paper bags over their heads again like the old days.

is this really due - in most part - to Wren and his awful moves? That coupled with Bobby Cox retiring and the last of the old guard leaving the game has left this team in utter shambles. It's actually rather embarrassing. Reminds me of those 80s teams before they started the run.
The rate they're currently losing is worse than those teams. I'm sure some of this is on Wren but I'd place most of the current state of the team squarely on Hart. I'm sure he has a plan. I wish he would clearly communicate it to what fans remain.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT