ADVERTISEMENT

2017 LR Fitness and Weight Loss Thread

Very much a fit freak, it's now a lifestyle. Six days a week in the gym 3 hours per, yes 3 hours. Five days last week went to Church for Good Friday. Even all that means nothing unless you have your nutrition in check. What you eat is 80% of it. Four years ago I was 230, I have been as low as 183. Currently 187 and lean @ 6'0". A lot of protein and only good carbs and good fats.

Breakfast: Every Day

3 whole eggs w/the yoke (good fat) and 6 tablespoons of egg whites.
Mushrooms and 2 slices of turkey bacon all cooked together.
If you must have toast make sure it is 100% whole grain (not 100% whole wheat). 2 slices (Good Carb)
Breakstone Cottage Cheese 4 oz
Right there is 62G of protein to start the day

Lunch:

Either sweet potato or brown/white rice (Good Carbs)
Ground turkey or chicken (Protein)
Avocado (good fat)
Carb up before workouts

After Workout:

Protein bar leaving gym 20 G protein (Costco Brand)
Protein shake @ home I use Dymatize ISO 100 100% Whey Protein Isolate Powder w/banana or berries, Fairlife fat free milk 8 oz, 2 tablespoons of organic PB fit peanut butter powder (Costco)
65-70G Protein

Dinner:

Chicken/Salmon/Turkey
Salad or vegetables (Asparagus, Broccoli, Squash, Brussels Sprouts, etc.)

Before bed a Good Greek Yogurt. I use Wallaby (Whole Foods)

I drink at least 100oz of water per day (whatever your weight is drink half of that in oz's of water)
I drink 3 cups of coffee per day as well (Truvia) NO SUGAR.
Whatever your weight is try and get the same in G of Protein.
Snack on nuts (Macadamia, Brazil, Cashews, etc.) Good Fat
I use a lot of olive oil only in breakfast, in steaming my rice, etc. (Good Fat)

It has worked for me good luck. You have to want it and be disciplined about it. Once you start to see results it will become habit and hopefully a lifestyle as it has for me.

Very much a fit freak, it's now a lifestyle. Six days a week in the gym 3 hours per, yes 3 hours. Five days last week went to Church for Good Friday. Even all that means nothing unless you have your nutrition in check. What you eat is 80% of it. Four years ago I was 230, I have been as low as 183. Currently 187 and lean @ 6'0". A lot of protein and only good carbs and good fats.

Breakfast: Every Day

3 whole eggs w/the yoke (good fat) and 6 tablespoons of egg whites.
Mushrooms and 2 slices of turkey bacon all cooked together.
If you must have toast make sure it is 100% whole grain (not 100% whole wheat). 2 slices (Good Carb)
Breakstone Cottage Cheese 4 oz
Right there is 62G of protein to start the day

Lunch:

Either sweet potato or brown/white rice (Good Carbs)
Ground turkey or chicken (Protein)
Avocado (good fat)
Carb up before workouts

After Workout:

Protein bar leaving gym 20 G protein (Costco Brand)
Protein shake @ home I use Dymatize ISO 100 100% Whey Protein Isolate Powder w/banana or berries, Fairlife fat free milk 8 oz, 2 tablespoons of organic PB fit peanut butter powder (Costco)
65-70G Protein

Dinner:

Chicken/Salmon/Turkey
Salad or vegetables (Asparagus, Broccoli, Squash, Brussels Sprouts, etc.)

Before bed a Good Greek Yogurt. I use Wallaby (Whole Foods)

I drink at least 100oz of water per day (whatever your weight is drink half of that in oz's of water)
I drink 3 cups of coffee per day as well (Truvia) NO SUGAR.
Whatever your weight is try and get the same in G of Protein.
Snack on nuts (Macadamia, Brazil, Cashews, etc.) Good Fat
I use a lot of olive oil only in breakfast, in steaming my rice, etc. (Good Fat)

It has worked for me good luck. You have to want it and be disciplined about it. Once you start to see results it will become habit and hopefully a lifestyle as it has for me.
Congrats, and that's an amazing diet.

Add three kids under 12 and a wife that's not a veggie eater though lol.

I'm back up to around 217 due to lack of exercise the last few weeks (sick/ new job). I feel horrible.

Congrats, and that's an amazing diet.

Add three kids under 12 and a wife that's not a veggie eater though lol.

I'm back up to around 217 due to lack of exercise the last few weeks (sick/ new job). I feel horrible.
Yeah, I hear you. I have 3 kids as well but all grown the youngest is 24. All went to FSU. I did not have the time when they were younger. Football, Baseball, Basketball, Soccer practice/games and I coached most of those. Now it's my time. My wife is not a veggie eater either but I shop and cook for myself.

I've been on the Paleo and I've stayed at least 95% on track for 3 weeks while increasing physical activity - lost 9 lbs thus far - all tummy pretty much. I'm inspired!

Hadn't been around for a while. Last posted in January I was at 272.5. This morning I weighs in at 238. I'm 87 pounds from my heaviest weight which was 325. 87 pounds is since November of 2015. Feels good
Good work! Stay focused and disciplined.

Hadn't been around for a while. Last posted in January I was at 272.5. This morning I weighs in at 238. I'm 87 pounds from my heaviest weight which was 325. 87 pounds is since November of 2015. Feels good

That is awesome man! I know you feel like a new person, and that is a wonderful accomplishment.

My weight loss/maintenance hit a snag... Started w/ shin splints (I was running a couple of miles 5-7 days a week for about 6 weeks), then I started a different job, and Iver about a 2 month period I only ran and/or lifted like 8 times in two months.

I haven't weighed, but can feel a big difference. Now ready to started running 4-5 times a week again, but between work, rec, and travel softball, I'm struggling to find the time... Kind of sucks!

Im down about 30 pound since New Years, mainly by cutting down carbs. Struggling to workout tho, my job is pretty physical and age is catching up.

Im down about 30 pound since New Years, mainly by cutting down carbs. Struggling to workout tho, my job is pretty physical and age is catching up.
Common mistake is cutting down carbs. Carbs are the primary foods for energy. Eat the good carbs, I carb up before every workout, leg day even more so. If you want to cut carbs do it at night after workouts, when you become lean you would still need carbs after workouts so your body doesn't start to look for muscle to eat up. Good Carbs: Oatmeal, Brown Rice, Sweet Potatoes, 100% Whole Grain Bread, good carbs are high in fiber and rich in B vitamins like folic acid, which are nutritional essentials. This is just my opinion and trying to help. It has worked for me and I am lean for my age.

Just finished Day 30 of the Whole 30 Diet. Not really a weight loss program, per se. More focused on cleansing you of food additives/supplements and refined sugars. Pretty demanding, but my wife who has had high cholesterol all her life, went from ~230 to 125; is off 2 of the 3 blood pressure meds and reduced her thyroid medication by 50%. We both lost ~10 pounds. I don't have my blood work back yet, but l have reduced my blood pressure meds by 50%.

Not saying. just saying ;). Seriously, it is a demanding diet but you are never hungry and eat very well. Just requires much home cooking, making things like mayonnaise or ranch dressing from scratch; avoiding all grains, dairy, alcohol (of course :(); gluten, soy, peanut oil; all sweetners; etc.

Reactions: booker20
Just finished Day 30 of the Whole 30 Diet. Not really a weight loss program, per se. More focused on cleansing you of food additives/supplements and refined sugars. Pretty demanding, but my wife who has had high cholesterol all her life, went from ~230 to 125; is off 2 of the 3 blood pressure meds and reduced her thyroid medication by 50%. We both lost ~10 pounds. I don't have my blood work back yet, but l have reduced my blood pressure meds by 50%.

Not saying. just saying ;). Seriously, it is a demanding diet but you are never hungry and eat very well. Just requires much home cooking, making things like mayonnaise or ranch dressing from scratch; avoiding all grains, dairy, alcohol (of course :(); gluten, soy, peanut oil; all sweetners; etc.

Good for you and your wife 72!

My wife LIVES Whole 30 and its done wonders for her. As an example, she gave birth to our first son this past Thanksgiving and she has been back to her pre-baby weight by the time he was 6 months old.

Reactions: seminole72
Started 2016 at 204, got up to 213 in early Feb, ended at 192. Got back in to the routine of oatmeal for breakfast, baked pork chop with a serving of steamed broccoli for lunch then eggs or cereal for dinner, so I'm back to losing a pound a week.

Ready to get down to 185 and start to maintain and get some lean muscle going. That's going to be the mission for me - maintaining while trying to increase protein intake. Any suggestions?

Hey guys, this is my first post in this thread.

I'm on a mission to lose weight myself. I began in April at 219 lbs. and I'm at 187 so far.

I'm basically doing low calorie/ high protein and weightlifting four days a week. My daily goal is under 1,200 calories and 100-124 grams of protein. I'm lifting heavy.

I use a fitbit to track 10,000 steps a day and myfitnesspal to track nutrition.

My goal is 186 and once I hit that, I'll set a goal of 177. I need to set goals under 10 lbs. just to keep me motivated.

Hey guys, this is my first post in this thread.

I'm on a mission to lose weight myself. I began in April at 219 lbs. and I'm at 187 so far.

I'm basically doing low calorie/ high protein and weightlifting four days a week. My daily goal is under 1,200 calories and 100-124 grams of protein. I'm lifting heavy.

I use a fitbit to track 10,000 steps a day and myfitnesspal to track nutrition.

My goal is 186 and once I hit that, I'll set a goal of 177. I need to set goals under 10 lbs. just to keep me motivated.
Awesome! Good job.

I feel obligated to point out that 1,200 calories per day is dangerously low for a guy your size and activity level. That's a starvation level. I'd shoot for a caloric deficit of 500-1,000 calories per day, which translates into 1-2 pounds weight loss per week.

If you're lifting regularly, you may want to consider increasing your protein intake. I'd shoot for 0.75 to 1.00 grams per pound per day of goal body weight. If your goal is 187 pounds, that's roughly 140-190 grams per day.

Thanks man, if I upped the protein I probably would have no problem hitting that calorie goal.

I'll look at tweaking my intake.

Thanks man, if I upped the protein I probably would have no problem hitting that calorie goal.

I'll look at tweaking my intake.
Chicken, turkey, fish, lean beef, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs/egg whites and protein powder are all good ways of getting more protein without a lot of extra carbs and fat.

This is a good idea - I'm dropping weight a little fast so upping calories and protein will build more muscle and slow the weight loss.

This would be good so that my skin can catch up.

Welcome to the club... It's practically a gluten/casein free diet... Of course I don't do it 100%, but my daughter does.

I hit a wall at the 187-185 mark. I hovered there for weeks.

I upped my protein to around 170-180 grams and upped my calories to 1200-1500 and that seemed to do the trick for me.

I feel more muscular, my strength has increased and I'm losing weight again.

Just ran another 5k... This is a recurring event. I don't have the results of the first time I ran it in September of '16, but I was looking at the difference between this year (9/8/17) and last year (9/9/16).

Despite not jogging or exercising between May and half of July, I improved my time by 3 minutes and 15 seconds from last year to this one.

Still should have been even better... They only had one place to get water, and it was 2 miles in.

Now, if I can improve it by 3 more minutes next year (definitely feasible), I'll be ok with it (around the 30 minute mark).

How is everyone doing? I dropped down to the 183-185 range earlier this summer and have stayed there. My physique is on point.

I'll maintain for as long as I can, but will start gaining again around Thanksgiving through early 2018.

How is everyone doing?.

I was wondering the same. I've decided 2018 will be my year. By the end of this softball season, I noticed I am not throwing as far nor able to track down balls I used to get. Early 40s seems to be the tipping point for my genetics to just be enough. Now I suppose I will have to begin a legit exercise program....

Booker this is a great thread you started to be able to share info on health and fitness (my passion), well done.

Booker this is a great thread you started to be able to share info on health and fitness (my passion), well done.
Thanks.

Personal fitness requires accountability IMO. I thought that if we can encourage each other, see the improvements others have made, share tips and ideas, and learn from each others' struggles it might be a benefit.

Reactions: Noles_FSU
Another year, another year wasted. Haven't gained any but didn't lose any either. Trying again in 2018...

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Another year, another year wasted. Haven't gained any but didn't lose any either. Trying again in 2018...
I've gained... Not a lot, 10-15 lbs... So so so hard to keep the diet under control (though I proudly have had zero pizza or fast food in months).. especially this time of year.

When your wife/mother make chocolate crap... There's just so much will power I can have.

I have started back to lifting and running on the same day again after 6 months if no lifting.

When I do that, it's 600 calories burned minimum.

Reactions: cmanole
I lost 12 lbs. This year but I seem to have plateaued - my knees are bad so I can't do running. I do walks everyday and have recently extended them. I need to do some core workouts though.
I also have improved my diet - no more eating lunch out every day and then sitting at my desk all afternoon either.

I lost 12 lbs. This year but I seem to have plateaued - my knees are bad so I can't do running. I do walks everyday and have recently extended them. I need to do some core workouts though.
I also have improved my diet - no more eating lunch out every day and then sitting at my desk all afternoon either.
Other than cardio benefits, longer walks are as good as shorter runs. Keep at it!

Don't give up on it. You really have to want it, so much of this is mental the mind is very powerful. If you at the very least try long enough to start to see some results. Once you actually see results is when the passion for it will kick in.

Nutrition + Fitness = Happiness

Follow Dr Mercola, he is on twitter, Instagram, etc. He can help. His latest book is worth the read "Fat for Fuel"

Here is a brief explanation of the book from Amazon.

"For over a century, we’ve accepted the scientific consensus that cancer results from genetic disease due to chromosomal damage in cell nuclei. But what if cancer isn’t a genetic disease after all? What if scientists are chasing a flawed paradigm, and cancer isn’t a disease of damaged DNA but rather of defective metabolism as a result of mitochondrial dysfunction? What if that startling truth could revolutionize our understanding of other diseases as well—and show us a radical new path to optimal health?

In this groundbreaking guide, the first of its kind, New York Times best-selling author and leading natural-health practitioner Joseph Mercola explains how nearly all disease is caused by defective metabolic processes. Then he reveals what’s really causing your metabolism to go haywire: damage and dysfunction in the mitochondria, thousands of which are at work in nearly every cell in your body, generating 90 percent of the energy you need to stay alive and well. When mitochondria become damaged in large numbers, it is impossible to stay healthy.

Dr. Mercola shows you that you can take control of your health simply by giving your body the proper fuel—and it’s not what you’ve likely been led to believe. A ketogenic diet, very low in carbohydrates and high in healthy fats, is the way to optimize the biochemical pathways that suppress disease and support healing. And the benefits can be astonishing—not only in treating or preventing serious illness, but in boosting your brainpower, increasing your energy, helping you lose weight and keep it off, and much more.

As you read this book, you’ll learn in clear, rational terms how your body works at a molecular level. You’ll finally understand the type of fuel it’s designed to burn in the most efficient way possible. You’ll find detailed guidelines for starting and sticking with a ketogenic eating plan. And you won’t have to wait a decade or two for metabolic mitochondrial therapy to make its way into the mainstream. You can build a healthier body and brain at the cutting edge of this exciting new discipline, starting right now."

Best of Luck focus yourself!

Reactions: cmanole

I don't do it on the reg, I was but I slacked off, but the elliptical is a lot easier on the knees...

2018 Goal. I'm going to need to do a lot of blow and drink tons of whiskey...
anthony-bourdain-abs-at-60-thumb.jpg

Reactions: FSUTribe76
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT