ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Women's softball

Wow! We won despite 4 or 5 errors. Jahni Kerr is talented but continues to swing at balls out of the zone.
We also had 2 makeable plays that could have helped, but Mack and Bethany could not make the plays.
They scored 5 runs all unearned.
We scored 7, all earned.
KS pitched really well. I don't remember any hard hit balls off of KS.
There was only one off of Reid.
BTW Jahni play with urgency in the field! Allowing that runner to advance to 2B was unforgivable due to nonchalance.
Let's tighten up the defense today.
Nice to see Edenfield connect. Her eye at the plate is improving.

Reactions: townole
We got our butts handed to us yesterday. Today is a new day. Hopefully, we can
step up our game today.

Last I looked we were up 1-0 in second. It’s on the + so not watching.

Yeah, LOB is the theme today. Still up 1-0 heading into the bottom of the 4th now. Kat pitching now.
3 to 1 OSU bttm 6.
Sandercock knocked around in the 6th.
Only 1 hit today to add to our total yesterday. Bats have went quiet after game 1.

3 to 1 OSU bttm 6.
Sandercock knocked around in the 6th.
Only 1 hit today to add to our total yesterday. Bats have went quiet after game 1.
Just looking at our schedule.
Duke, Clemson and VT all on the road. Thats tough after a trip to Oklahoma against #3 and #1. Mix in a game with UF. We should be battle tested for sure.

How about some discussion on this board. MN gets questioned about every call he makes that is the least bit questionable. He is an exceptional coach and man so if can be called out, why not our coaches for the female teams? Football players are called out for lack of effort or bad plays as well. So, why does LA get a pass on questionable calls and bizarre pitcher or lineup management? Takes out pitchers not getting hit to put in an unknown that ends up walking one after another. Find three starters and let the rest get comfortable in their roll and then MR can close. KS can't do everything and as good as she is, she is no MK. Also, 1-2 players that never slide - fix that. Hitting, left handed hitters need to learn to pull the ball. Teams have learned to pitch our hitters on the outside of the plate and they either can't reach it or fly out to the opposite field. Is there a hitting instructor? If they are getting pitched on the outside move toward home in the box. ME has the same issues that she had for most of last year. If a hitting instructor can't figure it out in a year he and her need to be benched.
Tough love. Thought that was the purpose of the forums - not blow smoke up coaches butt.

I'm on another board where some get too offended if/when a coach's decision is questioned or a player is
criticized.
I'll give you general highlights of some comments.
Jahni Kerr is a very good hitter IF she swings at strikes like at the last AB yesterday. The problem is too often she swings or flails at balls out of the zone. Most of her weak ABs and Strike outs this and any weekend are due to swinging at multiple balls sometimes waaay out of the zone.
ME has great potential, but also goes out of the zone, although this has improved somewhat. She has problems with the off speed stuff. I can see her working on those things.
3B is just a mess. Oh how we miss Syd and Jesse over there.
Muffley and Keen can't hit.
Poor situational awareness. Not to pick on just JK, but in Friday's game she was nonchalant in LF and had a weak throw to the infield allowing a single to turn into a double. Yesterday when getting interfered with on the basepaths she didn't try to go to third. If she had, she would have been awarded 3B due to interference.
Dack getting picked off at 1B was bad.
Coacha not giving Reid more time is unconscionable and some worry (she's an alpha type) she may transfer after the year.
I feel like Coacha has done poorly recruiting pitchers since Sandercock. 3 years of no HS pitchers who were good. MR is the first. Also poor job in the portal with players who are not FSU caliber. Royalty was the 4th pitcher at ASU with a 4.86 ERA last year. I'm sure she's nice, but not FSU caliber.
Is that enough for you?
On the bright side, the next 2 years are lining up to be better 'crootin classes with 1 stud pitcher in each.

I'm on another board where some get too offended if/when a coach's decision is questioned or a player is
criticized.
Jahni Kerr is a very good hitter IF she swings at strikes like at the last AB yesterday. The problem is too often she swings or flails at balls out of the zone. Most of her weak ABs and Strike outs this and any weekend are due to swinging at multiple balls sometimes waaay out of the zone.
ME has great potential, but also goes out of the zone, although this has improved somewhat. She has problems with the off speed stuff. I can see her working on those things.
Poor situational awareness. Not to pick on just JK, but in Friday's game she was nonchalant in LF and had a weak throw to the infield allowing a single to turn into a double. Yesterday when getting interfered with on the basepaths she didn't try to go to third. If she had, she would have been awarded 3B due to interference.
Coacha not giving Reid more time is unconscionable and some worry (she's an alpha type) she may transfer after the year.
I feel like Coacha has done poorly recruiting pitchers since Sandercock. 3 years of no HS pitchers who were good. MR is the first. Also poor job in the portal with players who are not FSU caliber. Royalty was the 4th pitcher at ASU with a 4.86 ERA last year. I'm sure she's nice, but not FSU caliber.
Is that enough for you?
On the bright side, the next 2 years are lining up to be better 'crootin classes with 1 stud pitcher in each.
I just hope we can find 2 or 3 pitchers to rely on. Sandercock and Reid for sure and I guess Royalty. Leonard and Dubois are hit or miss and just situational pitchers.
As far as hitting Dak, Harding and Leonard can go yard at any moment. Edenfield would be nice to add to that trio., Flaherty, Mudge and Kerr just need to get on base and use their speed. Wacaser and Muffley just need to produce some to roll over the lineup.
Would be nice if Hartley could hold up at 3rd.
We just seem to be off a little in all phases right now. Hopelly it all comes together by the time we travel to Duke.

criticized.
Is that enough for you?
Thanks - this is what I was looking for. Agree on MR and the majority of your comments. Royalty need to start the game as she seems to pitch better when starting. As far as recruiting, totally agree but not just on pitching but all around. If you look at Clemson, Ok and UCLA they go for long athletic women and FSU seems to go for a smaller dainty players. Agree with 3rd base comments. It is called the hot corner for a reason. FSU needs someone with exceptional reflexes and a strong arm playing that position. Might consider JM there with her reflexes and quickness. Really appreciate how damn good Sidney (long athletic women) was both with the anticipation, glove and arm.

JM could handle it defensively for sure, but FSU has been recruiting SSs that don't hit well. Weisbrook has gotten 1 hit in 7 at bats. I'm assuming if she showed more in practice she would be given more hitting opportunities. IMO we can't afford 2 non hitting players in the lineup.

How about some discussion on this board. MN gets questioned about every call he makes that is the least bit questionable. He is an exceptional coach and man so if can be called out, why not our coaches for the female teams? Football players are called out for lack of effort or bad plays as well. So, why does LA get a pass on questionable calls and bizarre pitcher or lineup management? Takes out pitchers not getting hit to put in an unknown that ends up walking one after another. Find three starters and let the rest get comfortable in their roll and then MR can close. KS can't do everything and as good as she is, she is no MK. Also, 1-2 players that never slide - fix that. Hitting, left handed hitters need to learn to pull the ball. Teams have learned to pitch our hitters on the outside of the plate and they either can't reach it or fly out to the opposite field. Is there a hitting instructor? If they are getting pitched on the outside move toward home in the box. ME has the same issues that she had for most of last year. If a hitting instructor can't figure it out in a year he and her need to be benched.
Tough love. Thought that was the purpose of the forums - not blow smoke up coaches butt.
Try posting this on Warchant- have not seen a verbal tar and feathering in a long time. :)

criticized.
Is that enough for you?
My main critique is we don't seem to be fixing what are obvious shortcomings.
  1. JK Defense
  2. No solution for 3rd (Hartley has not hit much but maybe she is the best option) I personally would have gone with KH as she has a great arm -while her glove defense is a little lacking she is our best hitter currently and this would allow us to play Wacaser all the time- who needs in the lineup as she is hitting it a ton and in the clutch- I believe next year we will have a solution.
  3. We do not know what Reid brings- she looks like a great prospect in limited work - BUT not getting much play for the results she has achieved.
  4. We need our upper class players to get hot (Flaherty , Harding and Mudge are doing great ) but Leo and ME need to start producing like they can.
  5. If Kat does not get on fire we have issues moving forward.
JMHO

JM could handle it defensively for sure, but FSU has been recruiting SSs that don't hit well. Weisbrook has gotten 1 hit in 7 at bats. I'm assuming if she showed more in practice she would be given more hitting opportunities. IMO we can't afford 2 non hitting players in the lineup.
Isa is coming and will take the spot at SS in my mind. Real beast (great glove and bat) . We will see.

Isa is coming and will take the spot at SS in my mind. Real beast (great glove and bat) . We will see.
LA takes out MR with an 0-2 count on the batter. Is she intentionally trying to run off our future ace. Why is she not letting MR pitch more innings and give her a chance to get in and out of jams and build experience and confidence. This made no sense. She ran off BB by playing JM over her - at SC BB is hitting over 400 and she is an above average fielder. She blind squirreIed it with JK but CH is hitting 300 and JM 200 so why wouldn't you ph for JM. I understand what she is trying to do somewhat with the team but I think she is eroding players confidence and making them question if they are going to get to play consistently with LA. Expect we will see more that just MR transfer at the end of the year with this coaching nonsense.

LA takes out MR with an 0-2 count on the batter. Is she intentionally trying to run off our future ace. Why is she not letting MR pitch more innings and give her a chance to get in and out of jams and build experience and confidence. This made no sense. She ran off BB by playing JM over her - at SC BB is hitting over 400 and she is an above average fielder. She blind squirreIed it with JK but CH is hitting 300 and JM 200 so why wouldn't you ph for JM. I understand what she is trying to do somewhat with the team but I think she is eroding players confidence and making them question if they are going to get to play consistently with LA. Expect we will see more that just MR transfer at the end of the year with this coaching nonsense.
Some of it is head scratching for sure. Hopefully Muffley isnt hurt and doesnt have to sit out.

We likely lost 3 out of 4 to 2 better teams. We have holes in the batting order and we dont have as good a defense in the field. There were a couple times tonight that plays could have been made (granted they were hard hit balls) that may have made a difference.
One final note...If I were making the schedules in the future. They would never include traveling to Oklahoma to play. The umpiring (especially behind the plate) was not good. The zone seemed to be a good bigger at times for the home teams. Especially tonight.

Losing Craig Snider was huge. The hitting has not been the same since he left and I also agree with other posters about Coacha's utilizing of the pitchers. I know pitching is her specialty but the way she has been rotating pitchers is head scratching.

Reactions: NoleLizards
Losing Craig Snider was huge. The hitting has not been the same since he left and I also agree with other posters about Coacha's utilizing of the pitchers. I know pitching is her specialty but the way she has been rotating pitchers is head scratching.
I disagree . Snyder's only loss in my mind was he took our pitcher who could have helped us get to OKC. I believe you are using correlation to assume causation. He left- we got worse at the plate but we lost experienced players who were great hitters -(Zoe Casas, Jessie Warren, Callie Harrod, Carson Gordon-etc.) much more impactful in my mind

Reactions: FLSnole
That is an interesting point and i have no idea if I give her a subconscious pass because her team is female. But I do think I have gravitated to watching softball and soccer over the past 5 years to avoid the negativity with the higher profile sports. I prefer the strategy discussions and reliving good performances, which there have been plenty. Take the last several years. 2018: NC by getting hot and believing at the right time. 2019: Amazing start of the year and power hitting for days. Lost some mojo at the end of the year when bats went cold. 2021: Changed team dynamics mid year and got them to believe they could win against anyone. Beat teams they shouldn’t have, taking a game from OU and finals runner up. 2022: Best reg season record, doing so with smoke and mirrors with a bottom third of the order hitting less than 250. To me that says LA is elite and I trust her judgement. And I also like the way she develops her players and the family focus. We are watching an elite program and should enjoy it while we can.
So while I have no idea why she has been pulling pitchers frequently (with an 0-2 count the other night) or why MK used to always pass the ball on the backline when he had the talent to attack and dominate or why MN goes for it on 4th down from his own 30 regularly. But I do know they are elite coaches and I will trust them that they know a bit more than I do. And I have a great opportunity to watch and cheer on excellence. I will not come on the board and rip them or the players if they don’t win every game and the NC. Nor will I start rumors that a player is leaving based upon her facial expressions. It’s everyone’s board so anyone can continue to do so, but I do wish they wouldn’t.

I like Lonni too, but she is not above reproach.
She has done a poor job of recruiting HS pitchers since Sandercock/Herzog in 18. This is the first year since then a HS pitcher has showed promise.
Her portal recruiting has been hit and miss.
We are FSU a top 5 program and should be cherry picking top recruits and transfers.
How much better would this team be with a Lexie Kilfoyl and Dallis Goodnight who both transferred out of Alabama?
She may work her magic with these pitchers and we may make a deep run, but the last few years have taught us that her magic has limits.

That was a bizarre game yesterday. We scored 10 runs with only 1 hit of the infield variety.
A win is a win, I hope our bats wake up today.

That was a bizarre game yesterday. We scored 10 runs with only 1 hit of the infield variety.
A win is a win, I hope our bats wake up today.
Pretty good way to end up the series.
Bottom of lineup produced well in game 3 and Wacaser, Harding and Kerr all with HRs.
Dubois was good in the circle again. I may have been too negative towards her in earlier posts. She is a good change of pace from Sandercock and Reid.
Lets take care of business in Durham next weekend.

If I were Lonni (I'm not ), I would start Reid and go about 3 innings, then bring in DuBois (talk about a change of pace) for 2 innings and come back with Reid.
JMHO.

If I were Lonni (I'm not ), I would start Reid and go about 3 innings, then bring in DuBois (talk about a change of pace) for 2 innings and come back with Reid.
JMHO.
I think Sandercock and Reid are the ones to be put in when it matters most. They have the best stuff. Dubois is a nice change of pace. But, can she last 6 or 7?
That is tough to ask against the top teams. Her margin for error is just a lot smaller due to lack of velocity.
I was hoping Leonard could be more depandable but, so far its either one extreme or the other.
Wilson seems to be lacking confidence and cant consistantly find the zone.
Balk probably needs a year or two to become stronger and more reliable.
Hopefully, over the next 4 to 5 weeks we find a way to win series against the likes of Duke, Clemson and VT.

No I don't think DuBois can last 6 or 7 innings. Of course we really don't know yet. I just think the contrast between the speed of DuBois and Reid would be challenging to adjust to.
You're right about Leonard. It seems to be feast or famine with her. Wilson is a no go. Balk needs time, but I'd find her innings here or there.
Royalty is the question mark.

No I don't think DuBois can last 6 or 7 innings. Of course we really don't know yet. I just think the contrast between the speed of DuBois and Reid would be challenging to adjust to.
You're right about Leonard. It seems to be feast or famine with her. Wilson is a no go. Balk needs time, but I'd find her innings here or there.
Royalty is the question mark.
I agree. We need Royalty or Leonard to become more consistant.

Nice win over a good Duke team. Now how do our other pitchers perform the next 2 days?

Reactions: waternole
Nice win over a good Duke team. Now how do our other pitchers perform the next 2 days?
Im guessing Royalty will start today or maybe Dubois. If they can hold their own for 4 innings we still have Sandercock and Reid to close it out if need be. Pitch count was low for both of them yesterday.

Lonni left us in a bad position by not snagging a higher level pitcher from the portal.
Maybe Royalty or DuBois will catch fire, but I don't see us making a deep run.
I would be glad to eat crow if I'm proven wrong. Fried, smoked or broiled.

Lonni left us in a bad position by not snagging a higher level pitcher from the portal.
Maybe Royalty or DuBois will catch fire, but I don't see us making a deep run.
I would be glad to eat crow if I'm proven wrong. Fried, smoked or broiled.
Right there with you, but I’m more worried about our hitting, it’s to hot and cold. Clemson looks like the class of the league Right now! Lot of ball to play.

Right there with you, but I’m more worried about our hitting, it’s to hot and cold. Clemson looks like the class of the league Right now! Lot of ball to play.
Have you looked at Clemsons schedule so far? Cupcake city! Northwestern is their toughest oppenent so far. While they are ranked I think they are 13-8.
They have played the vast majority of their games at home as well.
They may be the cream of the crop but, its not because they have piled up wins against legit competition.
We have yet to put it all together and play our best for any long stretch of games. Hopefully that will happen when it really matters the most.
If we can I think we can beat anybody. Our trip to Oklahoma showed signs of that.
Im just a bit confused with our pitching.
Sandercock is the ace. Reid is 2nd in line but, I I dont think she has started a game yet.
Dubois has been effective lately in spots.
Royalty and Leonard are either off or on. We desperatetly need one or both to be more consistant.
I just hope all the pitching changes, positional changes in the field, and batting order changes pays dividends in the long run.

Nice to see Mack and Michaela start to hit the ball. Get those two going and get KD out of her mini slump, and we will be potent offensively.

Up 5-1 after 2 and 1/2 innings.
Royalty out (3 walks) and Wilson??? in.

Nice easy sweep this weekend. Next up... Clemson. Time to see if they're for real or merely paper Tigers.

Nice easy sweep this weekend. Next up... Clemson. Time to see if they're for real or merely paper Tigers.
It will be tough series.
We know how there pitching will go with Cagle and the eye black Lefty Thompson.
After Sandercock not sure what our approach will be. Reid has yet to start a game so, I assume Royalty or Dubois will get a start.
We need to make sure we make their 2 go to pitchers throw a lot of pitches.
2 out of 3 would be nice and would move us up in the rankings.
It looks as if VT is vulnerable after getting handled by Duke this weekend.
So, this weekend looks like the 2 best teams.

Reactions: AtlSFNole
Double header sweep of CU at CU.
ME is coming around at the plate. She is swinging at strikes.
Jahni Kerr and Wacaser continue to hit.
Kat pitched a great second game.
We have to be in CU's head so bad.
ON a visit to the mound in the 2nd game with their pitcher MIllie Thompson, I thought she was going to cry.
I felt bad for her. I blame their coach for playing such a "Charmin'" soft schedule.
Let's go get the sweep.
And let's get our hitters to stop swinging at balls out of the zone. Harding has gotten into this habit recently.

Double header sweep of CU at CU.
ME is coming around at the plate. She is swinging at strikes.
Jahni Kerr and Wacaser continue to hit.
Kat pitched a great second game.
We have to be in CU's head so bad.
ON a visit to the mound in the 2nd game with their pitcher MIllie Thompson, I thought she was going to cry.
I felt bad for her. I blame their coach for playing such a "Charmin'" soft schedule.
Let's go get the sweep.
And let's get our hitters to stop swinging at balls out of the zone. Harding has gotten into this habit recently.
We made Cagle cry last year.
Must be a Clemson thing.

• Love
Reactions: NoleLizards
We made Cagle cry last year.
Must be a Clemson thing.
I was like WTH when Cagle did it.
But, Thompson yesterday was enjoyable to watch.
She comes across extremely cocky by her actions on the field. If you have seen OU's best pitcher Jordan Bahl and Thompson for Clemson they are mirror images of each other as far as how they act on the field.

Sweep GIF by CUW Baseball

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT