ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Women's softball

Tom81

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Starts out 4-1 after the first weekend.
We have more pitching depth than last year.
Next week will tell us how these other pitchers (Reid, Royalty, DuBois and ?Balk?)
translate against top competition.
IMO CF and 3B are still weak points, esp 3B.
What say you?

Reactions: Hogpynn
Apparently next year's recruiting class has some real studs!

Reactions: AlyAnn
From what I was able to watch on ACCNX - very grateful to be able to watch- there is a lot of potential for offense and defense. Sydney's skills and personality will be missed, but other gals will win our hearts and minds. An observation fueled by humor- Looks like there is going to be a battle of the eyelashes.

You talking about Edenfield and Royalty? Am I missing someone?

Reactions: AlyAnn
Not wild about the start. They played three not-very-good teams and failed to run rule any of them. And the loss, no matter how many weird bounces the ball took, was a bad loss. Pretty sure they'll look a lot better this weekend, but they do need to pick it up some. (UF played couple of bad teams, for instance, and run ruled them in all four games (or 3, forget how many)

Guess we're back up now. Tidy little 2-hit five inning win in game one.

Not wild about the start. They played three not-very-good teams and failed to run rule any of them. And the loss, no matter how many weird bounces the ball took, was a bad loss. Pretty sure they'll look a lot better this weekend, but they do need to pick it up some. (UF played couple of bad teams, for instance, and run ruled them in all four games (or 3, forget how many)
I agree. Its early so, not sure what it all means at this point.
We have to produce a lot more throughout the lineup against a lot better competition this weekend.
I think our pitching will continue to get even better throughout the year.
Lastly, the loss of Sydney at 3rd is huge of course. But, not only her play on the field but, her leadership will take awhile to replace.

Nice to see Belviy and Weisbrook hit.
Belviy is a very good OFer, but she has to be able to hit.
Weisbrook can play SS or 3B if she can hit.

Nice to see Belviy and Weisbrook hit.
Belviy is a very good OFer, but she has to be able to hit.
Weisbrook can play SS or 3B if she can hit.
I think we have a possible SS coming (Torres) . I think if Weisbrook does not play SS then she may go to 2nd when Flaherty leaves (not sure if she has a Covid year or not) . JMHO

I think we have a possible SS coming (Torres) . I think if Weisbrook does not play SS then she may go to 2nd when Flaherty leaves (not sure if she has a Covid year or not) . JMHO
She really needs to show some serious offense if she is to move to 2B. We can't afford weak hitters at multiple infield positions.

She really needs to show some serious offense if she is to move to 2B. We can't afford weak hitters at multiple infield positions.
We have some possibles coming but I do not think they have the glove of Isa which is why I thought she was being recruited for SS (of course - Weisbrook was too).

Last edited:
I was pleased to see Reid handle her first top notch opponent with aplomb.

Hope she doesn't take the Valerie Cagle or Montana Fouts route and fade with time.

Hope she doesn't take the Valerie Cagle or Montana Fouts route and fade with time.
Cagle is still pretty darn good. The more scouting and times you get to see a pitcher the more of an advantage goes to the hitter. Some of these pitchers have been pitching now 4 or 5 years. (Fouts/Sandercock). To continue to be good you have to continue to be willing to make some changes.
Feramo for UCLA is a perfect example. She has learned how be effective changing speeds and moving spots.

Reactions: FLSnole and Tom81
This is early in the season and much can change.
Will someone step up and play 3B at a high level? I've yet to see one above average play at 3B. I've seen several below average.
Which pitchers will ultimately step up and deliver consistently?
Will Michaela get comfortable hitting off speed pitches?
Much to be determined.

Cagle is still pretty darn good. The more scouting and times you get to see a pitcher the more of an advantage goes to the hitter. Some of these pitchers have been pitching now 4 or 5 years. (Fouts/Sandercock). To continue to be good you have to continue to be willing to make some changes.
Feramo for UCLA is a perfect example. She has learned how be effective changing speeds and moving spots.
Concur. I do not see that Fouts has regressed. The hitters have adjusted and it takes more pitches to get them out.

This is early in the season and much can change.
Will someone step up and play 3B at a high level? I've yet to see one above average play at 3B. I've seen several below average.
Which pitchers will ultimately step up and deliver consistently?
Will Michaela get comfortable hitting off speed pitches?
Much to be determined.
3rd base-We are searching for an answer and may not have 1 right now. We have tried Ross, Weisbrook, Hartley and Harding there. Im not sure we can.put Harding there. She is pretty important in the OF. The other 3 are a work in progress.
Pitchers-Kat, Reid, Leonard are our main 3. Balk and Wilson may help in certain spots.
Michaela-Not sure here. Not expanding strike xone would help along with looking for offspeed first pitch because thats usually what she gets.

3rd base-We are searching for an answer and may not have 1 right now. We have tried Ross, Weisbrook, Hartley and Harding there. Im not sure we can.put Harding there. She is pretty important in the OF. The other 3 are a work in progress.
Pitchers-Kat, Reid, Leonard are our main 3. Balk and Wilson may help in certain spots.
Michaela-Not sure here. Not expanding strike xone would help along with looking for offspeed first pitch because thats usually what she gets.
Apparently Hartley

Last edited:
Reactions: NoleLizards
Michaela needs to be moved down in the order until she starts to make contact on pitches on the black including changes. JMHO
From what I've seen, she's doing reasonably well holding off on the offspeed stuff... But she's climbing the ladder chasing rise balls.

Reactions: nolehunter
Michaela needs to be moved down in the order until she starts to make contact on pitches on the black including changes. JMHO
She was against Louisiana today and eventually gave way to Lopreste who ended the game with a walk off single.

Reactions: lawtab
Can’t believe in Monday’s podcast discussion about softball there was no mention of Edinfield’s lack (no production) at the plate. Certainly danced around the subject.

Edenfield has been boom, walk or bust so far. Her on-base percentage is .450, tops among the regulars, but the 11 strikeouts in 29 at-bats is a ton. Agree with prior comments that she is chasing the rise. It's February. Some bats and a more discerning eye need time.

I still have optimism for the lineup. Mudge is a great table-setter. Dack has added power to lineup. Leonard, Harding, Kerr, Wacaser, etc.

Need to cut down on errors and mental mistakes. Close game to UNF on Wednesday was a good example.

Edenfield has been boom, walk or bust so far. Her on-base percentage is .450, tops among the regulars, but the 11 strikeouts in 29 at-bats is a ton. Agree with prior comments that she is chasing the rise. It's February. Some bats and a more discerning eye need time.

I still have optimism for the lineup. Mudge is a great table-setter. Dack has added power to lineup. Leonard, Harding, Kerr, Wacaser, etc.

Need to cut down on errors and mental mistakes. Close game to UNF on Wednesday was a good example.
Don’t forget Flaherty

Just a view of the team and players at the present moment IMO.
Pleasant surprises.
Makenna Reid (stud in the making)
Kerr is looking like a hitter. Her speed and tracking of balls in the OF are looking better. I think she needs a slightly smaller glove, because she has had several almost very good plays bounce out of her glove.
Wacaser. Another who is one year further removed from injury whose hitting looks soooo much better.
Katie Dack, Not so much of a surprise as much as a fulfillment of expectations. Looks comfortable behind the plate.
Showing potential, but not there yet.
Our whole pitching staff sans Reid have been up and down. Nice to see DuBois look good today. Now do it against a high level team. Balk just need to throw strikes as does Royalty.
Hartley at 3B looks OK, bat shows some promise. We'll see.
Disappointing.
Edenfield needs to lay off high pitches and learn to hit off speed pitches. Currently all they have to do is throw one up in her eyes and she's all over it.
Flaherty's hitting, but I expect that to change.
Amaya Ross' hitting. Similar to Edenfield, needs to master the strike zone. Great potential.

A lot of season to play. It will be interesting to see who continues to step up.
If all these pitchers step up, we will be tough come tourney time.

Just a view of the team and players at the present moment IMO.
Pleasant surprises.
Makenna Reid (stud in the making)
Kerr is looking like a hitter. Her speed and tracking of balls in the OF are looking better. I think she needs a slightly smaller glove, because she has had several almost very good plays bounce out of her glove.
Wacaser. Another who is one year further removed from injury whose hitting looks soooo much better.
Katie Dack, Not so much of a surprise as much as a fulfillment of expectations. Looks comfortable behind the plate.
Showing potential, but not there yet.
Our whole pitching staff sans Reid have been up and down. Nice to see DuBois look good today. Now do it against a high level team. Balk just need to throw strikes as does Royalty.
Hartley at 3B looks OK, bat shows some promise. We'll see.
Disappointing.
Edenfield needs to lay off high pitches and learn to hit off speed pitches. Currently all they have to do is throw one up in her eyes and she's all over it.
Flaherty's hitting, but I expect that to change.
Amaya Ross' hitting. Similar to Edenfield, needs to master the strike zone. Great potential.

A lot of season to play. It will be interesting to see who continues to step up.
If all these pitchers step up, we will be tough come tourney time.
Hope Reid is our future. JMHO

Last edited:
Reid aside, we should be doing better in the portal than our hit and miss history has been.
We are a NAME and a BRAND.
Katie Dack and Mack Leonard (the hitter) are the caliber we should go after and even better when available.
We don't need projects at any position and we don't need fielders who don't come in hitting at least 300 IMO.

The basketball thread has some discussion about Taniya Latson possibly being poached by a bigger name program like UConn or USCe. Hope that doesn't happen.
That said, we should be the ones poaching other teams' studs (legally) in softball.
Softball and Soccer are 2 brands that should be destination schools for top players.

8-0 walkoff in 5 over UMass.
Flaherty is beginning to heat up and Wacaser stays hot.
Edenfield continues to just miss mashing the ball.
Amaya Ross showed a good eye to draw a walk in the 5th which was essentially a double, b/c she immediately stole 2nd and came home with the 8th run with a Mudge single.

Glad to see Jahni Kerr hitting well. Being a year further out from her injury has obviously helped.
I'm also quite sure she has worked her tail off.
I hope she continues to get better and better.
That said, her pitch selection has to improve.
She got 2 hits in yesterday's 2nd game, that were very fortunate. One was a 'seeing eye' single between the SS and 3B and one caromed off the pitcher's glove. What's the problem you say. Both were desperate swings at balls well out of the zone. The second one was on a 3-2 count, IOW a guaranteed walk. Don't remember the count on the first one.
If she doesn't improve her pitch selection better teams will simply throw her 2 strike pitches that are somewhat tempting, but out of the zone and hard to do anything with.
JMHO

I'd like to see Reid get a few more innings, but I understand Coacha wants to get as many pitchers as possible ready for the long haul.

Why no love for #17? Coacha seems to keep skipping over her so is she injured or in the dog house?

Why no love for #17? Coacha seems to keep skipping over her so is she injured or in the dog house?
Not Coacha, but she has not shown it in the games she has pitched in over the years. If the light had suddenly come on, I'm sure Coacha would be playing her.

Not Coacha, but she has not shown it in the games she has pitched in over the years. If the light had suddenly come on, I'm sure Coacha would be playing her.
I thought she was going to get some work last weekend but she did not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT