ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Women's softball

Tom81

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Never too early to start.
We lose Kat and Mack and Ali as pitchers. Kat was our clear far and away best pitcher and Mack was similar in effectiveness to Kenna later in the season.
We lose Muffley, the human highlight reel and Betheny Keen, a defensive presence.
We bring back a lot of firepower with :
Michaela at C. IMO she needs to focus on catching the ball (too many PBs) and swinging at good pitches. One of the better eyes on the team. I expect a rebound year of .300+ with 15+ HRs
Devyn at 2B A spark plug that turns singles into doubles and needs to improve her eye at the plate. Too many of her strike outs were on balls out of the zone. If she improves her SZ recognition, will hit well above .350 IMO Could push .400
Kalei at 3B Get more comfortable defensively and be more selective with which balls to swing at. Should hit >.350 and 10+ HRs
Kaley at LF Just keep being Kaley and cut down on bad swings. .350+
Jahni at CF Another year removed from injury. I expect to see a tick up to nearly .400 BA and 8+ HRs. That is assuming (I know, I know) she gets a better eye at the plate. This is a must for her, b/c this year once you got 2 strikes on her she would swing at almost anything. If she improves that significantly, I don't see anyway she hits less than .400.
Hallie like Jahni is one more year removed from an ACL. Improve the eye and hit .350+. I expect to see more power out of her next year. 10ish HRs
Backups Amaya Ross needs to become a more consistent hitter and then she can challenge Hallie at RF or Kalei at 3B (allowing Kalei to 1B).
I know I sound like a broken record, but Katie needs to tighten up her SZ recognition pure and simple.
Hartley didn't field well enough to unseat Kalei and she hasn't shown the bat.
Avery will have a chance to win the SS job, but will battle incoming freshman Isa Torres a highly ranked SS out of Texas.
Jaysoni Beachum a 3B/C with a huge bat may put Kalei at 1B or may back up 51 and possibly DP
Angelee Bueno is described as a slick fielding 1B with a good bat. Is she our 1B next year.
Kennedy Harp is an OFer with some power and speed. Hard to break into our OF, but who knows.
Ashtyn Danley is a stud 2 way pitcher with a .36 ERA this year and hit around .689 with power. I expect her to be given a great chance to be in the main rotation.
Mimi Gooden played in a competitive Tampa area league and is also a 2 way player. She had a 1.38 ERA with 106 IP and .603 BA with 11 HR's. I would be surprised if she got much run as a pitcher (hope I'm wrong), but her bat may be too good to ride the pine.

We have one dependable pitcher coming back in Reid. I know she and Coacha are working on a couple of top notch secondary pitches. If she can master those, she could be an AA. If not, people will learn to sit the rise in the zone like OU did.
We need Danley to be the real deal and compete at least as well as Reid did.
We get to see what Balk can do after a year with Coacha. I have no guess. I'm hopeful, but not expecting her to be a good 3rd option.
IMO we need at least ONE stud pitcher from the portal. A ready made pitcher, not a project.
I'm already anxious for what could be our best hitting team. Just praying we get the stud transfer pitcher, Reid progresses and Danley is ready to deal. We'll see.

We need bats…. I’m not worried about pitching since CoachA always develops them. Our weak bats with 4 or so players were exposed. If I’m not mistaken, over half our lineup hit under .200 at the WWS.

Reactions: flyrod and Seaker42
I'm just opposite of you! Most of our offensive production is coming back with more experience. Additionally,
we have a stud class coming in.
Was the top of OU's lineup exposed by Kat?
We faced the best of the best. BAs and runs scored are gonna go down.
Now finding 2 or 3 pitchers to hold down a lineup like OU is a different matter.
We have one coming back, who may develop into that. She isn't that yet. It's not a guarantee!

As I mentioned above, Katie is one of several who need to tighten up SZ recognition. She hit .305 this year and should hit above .340 with a little improvement in SZ recognition.
Again, this was the best hitting team FSU has ever had. Jordy Bahl is next level good as is the girl from Stanford.
Had Gasso left Storako in, we would have lit her up IMO. Sans a great catch by the CFer, we almost already had.
Can we find enough HIGH quality pitching to go and win the WS?

Read elsewhere that we are kicking the tires on a few transfers.
Koby Otis upcoming junior CF from the 'Ville. Batted .414 with 10 HRs and 40 RBIs She had 30 BBs and only 13 Ks and stole 23/24 bases. Yessssss please!
Taryn Kern 1b indiana upcoming Soph 22 HRs 67 RBIs 42 BB 38 Ks, 4/4 SBs. Talk about a plug and play.
Kelley Lynch P/IF 2.43 ERA over 77.2 innings 101 Ks and 40 BBs as a hitter .276 3 HRs 20 RBIs
I would be ecstatic with the first two and would be hopeful that Lonni could improve Lynch. Her starting point as a pitcher is much higher than the transfer last year.

Reactions: CHAMLER
Read elsewhere that we are kicking the tires on a few transfers.
Koby Otis upcoming junior CF from the 'Ville. Batted .414 with 10 HRs and 40 RBIs She had 30 BBs and only 13 Ks and stole 23/24 bases. Yessssss please!
Taryn Kern 1b indiana upcoming Soph 22 HRs 67 RBIs 42 BB 38 Ks, 4/4 SBs. Talk about a plug and play.
Kelley Lynch P/IF 2.43 ERA over 77.2 innings 101 Ks and 40 BBs as a hitter .276 3 HRs 20 RBIs
I would be ecstatic with the first two and would be hopeful that Lonni could improve Lynch. Her starting point as a pitcher is much higher than the transfer last year.
Otis was a player I was impressed when watching her play. I love Kerr, but we need a better defensive option in CF and a better bat for sure. Hopefully having Dack in the lineup daily will give us more pop. Finding another option on the mound, or have Royalty reduce her walks and continue to develop. She has good stuff but not the consistency yet. The other area we need improvement on is Edenfield reducing her passed balls. We won’t replace Muffley’s glove, but maybe we get a little better bat there to make up for that. Can’t wait for the season to start again!

Alana Vawter from Stanford is a Gr Transfer Pitcher.
Last 2 years she pitched over 170 innings each and with sub 2.00 ERAs.
We need her. She is a stud.

Haven't seen this posted, so fyi: We have had four softball transfer visitors on campus in the last week or so: Taryn Kern from Indiana and Wisconsin frosh pitcher Payton Monticelli. Both would be good gets, Kern being a great get. Also North Carolina shortstop Alex Brown visited, really good player but she has also visited 4 or 5 other schools...and Liberty junior pitcher Karlie Keeney, who beat UCLA in the playoffs. Vawter from Stanford would obviously be the crown jewel and is wanted by everybody, but interestedly, I've read she has been out of the country for awhile. Think Otis committed to UF.

I saw elsewhere that Monticelli (Fr from Wisky) committed to OU.
good luck to her. Let's go get Keene.

Reactions: runningnole
Summer has not gone well so far on the pitching front.
From what I've read, Maxwell may be looking at OU, Tx and A&M, but we are apparently trying to get in the mix.
Haven't heard from Keene. Don't have a clue about Vawter. AFter picking up Monticelli, I can't imagine OU could get both Maxwell and Keene. I have a hard time envisioning Maxwell going to OU, the sworn enemy of the Pokes. I like Keene, Maxwell and Vawter. We need at least one of those!

Reactions: ranger43
From what I've read, Maxwell may be looking at OU, Tx and A&M, but we are apparently trying to get in the mix.
Haven't heard from Keene. Don't have a clue about Vawter. AFter picking up Monticelli, I can't imagine OU could get both Maxwell and Keene. I have a hard time envisioning Maxwell going to OU, the sworn enemy of the Pokes. I like Keene, Maxwell and Vawter. We need at least one of those!
A strong arm from the right side is needed. Currently we don't have that option besides Royalty who is in consistent. Can't argue with Maxwell but that is 2 from the left side and we really need a righty.

Over all our current staff and incoming recruits have not been that productive this summer and we have had no additions. Not a good look. Maybe Gooden will surprise us and be ready early but I sure would not want to rely on it.

Over all our current staff and incoming recruits have not been that productive this summer and we have had no additions. Not a good look. Maybe Gooden will surprise us and be ready early but I sure would not want to rely on it.
As to incoming recruits and current staff, the only ones I've heard about were Beachum who was doing great, and Balk who was doing the opposite.
Do you have additional stats on either current or incoming players this summer.

As to incoming recruits and current staff, the only ones I've heard about were Beachum who was doing great, and Balk who was doing the opposite.
Do you have additional stats on either current or incoming players this summer.
YES- but I do not post any opinions or information anymore- it just got too personal. I sometimes comment on some specific thoughts- but that is it. Some just did not appreciate the information or the opinions. And as long as you brought it up Beachum started out hot but then she did not play for about 2 weeks - but she has come back now and is still BLAZING hot. :). Balk just has not looked good - her stats are dismal but she did better her last game but still has a 13.29 average ERA and her walks to hit ratio has not been good.

I'm just opposite of you! Most of our offensive production is coming back with more experience. Additionally,
we have a stud class coming in.
Was the top of OU's lineup exposed by Kat?
We faced the best of the best. BAs and runs scored are gonna go down.
Now finding 2 or 3 pitchers to hold down a lineup like OU is a different matter.
We have one coming back, who may develop into that. She isn't that yet. It's not a guarantee!
Interesting because when I read your OP, it sounded like virtually every player needed to improve their batting; to the point where I was wondering who is the batting coach and why isn't he/she doing better?

On paper I strongly agree w/ you on the need for pitching. Kat is going to be tough to replace and we all know that you win championships with elite pitching.

Yeah, I saw that about Keene.
I suppose if we're looking for a silver lining, then it would be that Kern is still out there AND I can't imagine OU getting either Vawter or Maxwell after getting those 2.
Now I don't have any reason to believe we'll get them, but I can hope that one of them will come.

Reactions: colconole
Poster on TOS says FSU is working to get a visit from both Vawter and Maxwell.

Reactions: Tom81
Apparently we are getting a visit from Vawter this weekend.
Fingers crossed!

Apparently we are getting a visit from Vawter this weekend.
Fingers crossed!
Hopeful but would not put my lottery money on it. They have slow played all possible options and while culture and fit are important we need mound help NOW. First day of school is the 28th of August and I believe we will know all we are going to know by that date. After that - its moving on to recruiting the HS players who we can host and offer after that(the first day of school). It will be a busy time- we will have limited scholarships and must choose wisely. JMHO

Reactions: ranger43
Vawter to USCe and Maxwell to OU. Read somewhere (not official) that they put together a huge NIL deal including help for 4 years of vet school. TIFWIW

Lonni is 0 for the portal.
She is gonna have to rethink her approach tot he portal IMO.

Vawter to USCe and Maxwell to OU. Read somewhere (not official) that they put together a huge NIL deal including help for 4 years of vet school. TIFWIW

Lonni is 0 for the portal.
She is gonna have to rethink her approach tot he portal IMO.
One of the freshman pitchers next year better be ready.

One of the freshman pitchers next year better be ready.
ONe? We have to hope that :
1. Reid takes the next step and adds pitches and becomes a stud.
2. We have to hope that both freshmen are Day 1 ready.
3. We have to hope that Royalty takes a huge leap forward in the circle.
I hope, but I'm not hopeful.

I'm sure things will be OK. I have faith in Lonni. If it was not for a juggernaut she would have won the two out of the last three national championships. She is a very good coach and we are lucky to have her.

Reactions: rkcnoles
ONe? We have to hope that :
1. Reid takes the next step and adds pitches and becomes a stud.
2. We have to hope that both freshmen are Day 1 ready.
3. We have to hope that Royalty takes a huge leap forward in the circle.
I hope, but I'm not hopeful.
I concur
It might not be a train wreck but if both freshman do not come in hot we are cooked

The #3 won’t happen. She really struggled bad last year. It’s really hard to believe that FSU can’t get a great pitcher to play for them every year. They are rank every year in the top 5.

I posted this on another site, but thought you guys/gals might appreciate it.
Well we have 2 schools of thought as I see it from loyal Seminole fans. This year should help resolve the debate at least in my eyes.
1. A. Lonni is the best pitching coach and one of the best head coaches in women's college softball.
B. Her record speaks for itself.
C. I have complete faith we will have an outstanding staff this year, and probably a better one next .
D. Building a winning culture that values players on and off the field and even after they leave is a strong point.
2. A. Lonni is the best pitching coach and one of the best head coaches in women's college softball.
C. I believe in Coacha, but her pitching recruiting (esp HS) has been off for several years. Her lack of portal success this year has me concerned we may struggle on the pitch this year. She is a great pitching coach, but she doesn't have a magic wand. Hope I'm wrong.
D. Building a winning culture that values players on and off the field and even after they leave is a strong point.

As you may notice point "C" is the main difference between these two camps. I am in group 2. I hope this year converts me to group 1.
We shall see!
Which camp are you in and why?

I posted this on another site, but thought you guys/gals might appreciate it.
Well we have 2 schools of thought as I see it from loyal Seminole fans. This year should help resolve the debate at least in my eyes.
1. A. Lonni is the best pitching coach and one of the best head coaches in women's college softball.
C. I have complete faith we will have an outstanding staff this year, and probably a better one next .
2. A. Lonni is the best pitching coach and one of the best head coaches in women's college softball.
C. I believe in Coacha, but her pitching recruiting (esp HS) has been off for several years. Her lack of portal success this year has me concerned we may struggle on the pitch this year. She is a great pitching coach, but she doesn't have a magic wand. Hope I'm wrong.

As you may notice point "C" is the main difference between these two camps. I am in group 2. I hope this year converts me to group 1.
We shall see!
Which camp are you in and why?
I gave up on the first half of 1C months ago. The second half of 1C is certainly possible. For 1C to have any reality there are just too many negatives or probables. For 1C to have any traction at all the following will have to be true:
  1. AD and Gooden will have to come in hot (not one but both-not a likely scenario as AD had injury issues and looked to shut it down late in the season and Gooden will contribute but needs work ( I think it much more likely they both can help offensively as they both are very good at the plate.
  2. Royalty will have to improve (a lot)- better strike zone and out --eater
  3. Balk - based on her summer (stats were dismal) I see no great amount of improvement there but she does have talent and will need to be improved a lot.
  4. Wilson- well she has always had talent but just seemed unlucky or threw the wrong pitch or .. or ..- I just don't know if she is coming back (she did get a diploma --right?). If she pitched to her potential she could help.
  5. Asking Kenna to be a Sandercock is way too ambitious . She obviously will be option #1 but will need someone to come in hot to relieve her (see #1 above) and will need to develop that 2nd pitch for strikes.
I don't think the first half of 2C is arguable in any way. But the addition of AD , Gooden, and Jazzy in back to back years is changing the trend. We will see soon on current offers for 2025 (Contact period I believe has begun and recruits can start visitation and commitment soon). We are in it for some real talent but .. but .. we will see who we actually offer and get commitments from.(stay tuned-we will know soon)

Jazzy had a great summer and that class(2024) is really-- really good and it's not just Jazzy. For the second half of 1C to be a certainty we need one more pitcher to come in (Portal or HS). I gave up on HS last fall when we were within sight of our best pitching class ever and just did not pull the trigger --for whatever reason. So in my mind its portal or bust for the outcome of a "definitely better "(and I am a firm believer in Jazzy-she is the real deal).
It's not August 28 yet but most of my wants have gone elsewhere- so that option is shrinking daily. ( We have another portal date in December but that is very late for pitching transfer help). I do wonder if we are NIL committed to softball like we need to be to get some of these transfers? Someone else may have more insight into this? I am not Nostradamus or Kreskin but I resigned myself to this being a bridge year- would love to be wrong but the tea leaves are pointing that way. JMHO

Reactions: Tom81
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT