ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Women's softball

The good thing is townole and Tom81 are not impressed with this team. Not trying to start anything but you two are rarely positive about the team but we continue to be very good. We have no idea how the pitchers will grow from one year to another. Lets see how they look before we turn on them. Go Noles!

Okie Dokie sammic, we will place you firmly in category #1.
Nothing wrong with that!

The good thing is townole and Tom81 are not impressed with this team. Not trying to start anything but you two are rarely positive about the team but we continue to be very good. We have no idea how the pitchers will grow from one year to another. Lets see how they look before we turn on them. Go Noles!
I am not turning on anyone just stating what I see. You might remember I was the only one last year that said from day 1 that Reid was the real deal and needed more innings. Everyone had the same attitude you currently do about my comments but I believe my perceptions were proven to be accurate. Again- we will see.

Reactions: jackrgga
They are both knowledgeable with great insight and are only calling them like they see them. Still nothing wrong with Freedom of Speech in this country. I for one enjoy their candor.

Reactions: jackrgga and Tom81
I see no Weisbrook on current roster and no transfers - not what I was looking for.

Weisbrook is transferring. Not sure where

Have heard FSU will announce one transfer soon

We now have 5 public commitments for the 25 class and apparently 1 more who has not yet gone public.
Anna Hinde a 3B/C who is ranked 1 or 2 according to which service you look at. BA .549 last year and has 15 HR going into her junior year. From North Carolina
Hayley Griggs SS from Ohio Batted .492 as a Soph.
LIsabella Dimitrijevic Right handed Pitcher from Illinois. Rated the #9 pitcher by EIS.
Averi Dockery RHP from PA 2.28 ERA, 3-3 W/L record, 80 IP, 58 H, 38 26 ER, 32 BB, 135 K in 339 BF. ????
Decent HS stats, but not great!
Makenna Sturgis from Tampa Per a poster on TOS "Makenna Sturgis: Very fast . Runs track . Camped with us and I believe we have offered. Also a flag football player (and very good) . National USA player. Is a SS and very slick . Had .415 average last year. Camped and we have offered."
She may play any inf or OF position per that same source.

Harlie Chism a stud SS from Oklahoma just went public with her commitment.

Lonni Alameda and 5 others

1:34 PM · Oct 2, 2023
·

Great pickup.
Here's a blurb from a public article in July on Chism.
The shortstop plays for the Oklahoma Athletics National 2024 team led by Brian Madden and Terry Clemmer.

Last Summer, playing for the A’s, Harlie made the Extra Inning Softball All-Summer Team at 16U when she batted .492 with a .532 OBP, .797 OBP, 1.329 OPS, 18 doubles, six triples, three homers, 51 runs and 23 RBIs to help Athletics National tie for 7th place at the 16U Alliance Nationals.

And just a week ago, the standout infielder helped her team win the Alliance Super Cup in Colorado where she was named as the Tournament MVP and awarded a new A2000 glove after batting over .800 for the event.

Harlie Chism a stud SS from Oklahoma just went public with her commitment.

Lonni Alameda and 5 others

1:34 PM · Oct 2, 2023
·

Great pickup.
Here's a blurb from a public article in July on Chism.
The shortstop plays for the Oklahoma Athletics National 2024 team led by Brian Madden and Terry Clemmer.

Last Summer, playing for the A’s, Harlie made the Extra Inning Softball All-Summer Team at 16U when she batted .492 with a .532 OBP, .797 OBP, 1.329 OPS, 18 doubles, six triples, three homers, 51 runs and 23 RBIs to help Athletics National tie for 7th place at the 16U Alliance Nationals.

And just a week ago, the standout infielder helped her team win the Alliance Super Cup in Colorado where she was named as the Tournament MVP and awarded a new A2000 glove after batting over .800 for the event.
She's taking the Chism Trail from Oklahoma to Tallahassee!

Is it too early to speculate how this class measures up nationally?

Is it too early to speculate how this class measures up nationally?
The top of our class is comparable to any ones - we still have 1 hanging that would (in my mind ) put us in the conversation for top 5. OK my want committed to Tennessee today.

Last edited:
How you feeling now?

Missing Kathryn already. 🙁
Thought I would move this from the game thread.

Here is what I think I learned from last night:
  1. Our pitching will be a work in progress. Wilson did eat some innings but they had her squared up all night and she struggled in both appearances. If Allison (or maybe Gooden) is not capable of being the lock down we need in my opinion we just do not have one (currently). We may have to just committee our innings until we develop someone who can carry us like King or KAT. Our pitching was problematic (we had more Walks (5) and Hit by Pitcher (3) than strikeouts (7)-- we were behind in the count all night 2-1, 3-1 , 3-0 -that was just excruciating to watch. I might add the game was dreary- just 3+ hours of failure to execute. We looked like we needed some major coaching at times.
  2. The freshmen were a bright spot (Beachum did well (2-5) and was solid defensively - she will be OK). Torres played well and provided some offense. The negative was AD just did not have it last night.
  3. We made some critical errors on the base paths (Beachum's comes to mind as it may have cost us some real runs)
  4. We were behind the count all night. We would look at good strikes and then swing at pitches on the black and we were 1-2 -- 0-2 all night.
  5. It is obvious Mudge is not 100% (sub-ed for on the base paths and looks slower) - Hope is she will get better.
  6. The line up was a real conundrum- enough said about that- obviously if Mudge is not our lead off we will need to develop one. Kerr is a better fit in the 2 or 3 spot. Personally I would hit Harding 2 and Kerr 3.
  7. It was nice to have 2 southpaws available but both struggled. They have to be better for us to succeed. It was good to see AD work out of that one major jam.
  8. Beachum needs to move up in the line up- she looked dangerous.
  9. Despite our faults we kept coming back (and without an overturned call we had a win).
  10. I said early on this would be a bridge year and last night was a reinforcement to that thought. I am not giving up on a good year but we need major pitching improvement for that to happen. Clearwater may be frightening. On to Allison and maybe Gooden and maybe they will be better.

Appears as though Charlotte was quite satisfied with their win yesterday because they mailed it in this evening.

Appears as though Charlotte was quite satisfied with their win yesterday because they mailed it in this evening.
Much better showing tonight from our ladies.
Royalty was around the plate all night. Looked much more in control than last year. This will be critical to our success. Gooden came in and threw strikes which is good.
Edenfield looked much better at the plate.
Mudge not playing is definitely a concern.
I think we ended the game with 6 or 7 freshman on the field and they appeared ready.
We need Reid and Royalty to be the go to combo in the circle along with Wilson giving us some quality innings until the freshman get some experience. Not sure where Balk fits in the equation.

Reactions: NoleLizards
Well Townole, after looking over UF's situation I feel a little better.
I checked out their roster https://floridagators.com/sports/softball/roster
and they have 3 Fr and 1 Gr Transfer in the circle.
I can't imagine those three freshmen will hold up, although they did beat a bad Or St team 1-0 yesterday.
Now next year, UF may have a strong circle, as might we!

BTW Gooden looked serviceable last night in her only inning. And it looked like AR had a decent change or drop ball. Not great, but an improvement.

Wasn't great, but only three of TT's eight runs were earned. (FSU had 2 errors.)

I followed on stats BTW.
I was able to watch it.
We were extremely fortunate to pull it out. We didn't really hit the ball hard all day. Lots of weak grounders/pop ups or lazy fly balls..
MR had a rough day again. I believe she only lasted a 1/3 of an inning. Most of the pitchers on both sides today topped out in the low 60s and his strike zone was pretty inconsistent but, pitcher friendly. When Reid came in his strike zone became a lot smaller and she was visibly frustrated which. She desperately needs another pitch at a different speed.
I am really impressed with Torres and Beachum. Beacham was able to walk to load the bases with 2 outs in the 7th then Torres provided the walkoff hit.
Beacham reminds me a lot of J. Warren.
She isn't on that level yet but, through 3 games she looks special as does Torres at SS.

Off to a better start against FAMU. Area 51 just slugged a three run homer. 4-0.

I was able to watch it.
We were extremely fortunate to pull it out. We didn't really hit the ball hard all day. Lots of weak grounders/pop ups or lazy fly balls..
MR had a rough day again. I believe she only lasted a 1/3 of an inning. Most of the pitchers on both sides today topped out in the low 60s and his strike zone was pretty inconsistent but, pitcher friendly. When Reid came in his strike zone became a lot smaller and she was visibly frustrated which. She desperately needs another pitch at a different speed.
I am really impressed with Torres and Beachum. Beacham was able to walk to load the bases with 2 outs in the 7th then Torres provided the walkoff hit.
She isn't on that level yet but, through 3 games she looks special as does Torres at SS.
Agree about MR ... two disappointing outings

• Sad
I was able to watch it.
Beachum just hit a two-run shot! 6-0, bottom of the 3rd.

Our fielding and track of fly balls is atrocious. Haven't seen a Lady Nole Team be this bad in a very long time. Especially judging the wall. Seem to be tentative near the wall. Balls dropping, errant throws, bad glove placement. We truly had base hits stolen by J Muff and Torres is not as athletically gifted as her. We miss Josie desperately. Guess we need to take our beatings to get better. Clearwater seems scary now! Hope they level back up after early mistakes this weekend. Still believe in the Lady Noles! They are the prettiest bunch in the sport as well!!

JMHO,
The main weakness in the OF has been Harding.
Kerr has been the best she's ever been here, though she let one get under her glove yesterday.
The pitching is what is missing.
Lonni is a great culture builder and coach once you get here, but she has been poor at pitcher recruiting the last 5 or 6 years.
Meanwhile UF has 2 true freshmen who have given up like 2 unearned runs over the first 2 games against Or State and mich.
Lonni needs to attack pitcher recruiting looking for the best!

Isa will not be Muffley in the field, but it appears she will be a much better batter.
The freshmen are looking good!
It's nice to see Danley finding the zone!
Edenfield has been better this year in reducing passed balls, but she's still swinging at bad pitches (as is Kerr) and lunging.

Last edited:
Well Townole, after looking over UF's situation I feel a little better.
I checked out their roster https://floridagators.com/sports/softball/roster
and they have 3 Fr and 1 Gr Transfer in the circle.
I can't imagine those three freshmen will hold up, although they did beat a bad Or St team 1-0 yesterday.
Now next year, UF may have a strong circle, as might we!

BTW Gooden looked serviceable last night in her only inning. And it looked like AR had a decent change or drop ball. Not great, but an improvement.
Gators have one coming (Red Oxley-Bartow -defending state champions- ) who is the real deal- I believe we recruited her but I was told we did did not offer. Of course we did get Jazzy and she is the real deal too(its amazing the top 3 pitchers--Red, Jazzy, Heavener (Pace) are all in the same classification.

Why hasn't Lonni been successful in recruiting top pitchers? Isn't she known to be a top pitching coach. I understand it's early in the season but this pitching lineup is not very strong.

Why hasn't Lonni been successful in recruiting top pitchers? Isn't she known to be a top pitching coach. I understand it's early in the season but this pitching lineup is not very strong.
Totally agree that question is justified. Lonnie has not brought a Tier 1 pitcher to Tally since KS with exception of MR (not recruited). Last year questioned why FSU doesn't recruit more taller, lanky pictures that have good velocity and then coaches can work with them to develop other pitches. Hard for a pitcher to increase speed much with coaching but easier to develop different pitches and work on strike zone.

JMHO,
Kerr has been the best she's ever been here, though she let one get under her glove yesterday.
Lonni is a great culture builder and coach once you get here, but she has been poor at pitcher recruiting the last 5 or 6 years.
Meanwhile UF has 2 true freshmen who have given up like 2 unearned runs over the first 2 games against Or State and mich.

Isa will not be Muffley in the field, but it appears she will be a much better batter.
Edenfield has been better this year in reducing passed balls, but she's still swinging at bad pitches (as is Kerr) and lunging.
Hit the nail on the head!

I think our ladies are about to experience the wrath of fan high expectations. If my memory is reasonably accurate, it was just a couple of seasons ago where the ladies looked pretty uneven through the first half of the season and then ended up in the Super Regionals.

We lost some major talent and leadership from a squad that was NC runner up. Let's give 'em a little room to struggle before we write them off.

Love them lady Noles :Go Seminoles

JMHO,

Lets be clear. Coacha has recruited some outstanding talent in the last 2 years (some of it unfortunately choose elsewhere) , If you look at our last 3 years recruiting cycles she got some highly recruited pitchers as follows :
Current Year
  1. Danley (very well ranked and thought of)
  2. Gooden (developmental type but came on strong in HS last year and may develop into a good inning eater)
Next Year
  1. Jazzy ( She is a real good addition- maybe the best we have recruited since KAT- Very highly ranked ) I might add that we had a chance to get 2 more and just did not (for some odd reason ) close the deal.
Year after (these are commtments)
  1. Lisbella Dimitrijevic (Highly ranked and Big (5'10) RHP
  2. Avery Dockery RHP Very well thought of and pitches with speed
  3. Marlee Gaskell LHP (actually rated higher on some sites above Lisbella)
So we are doing fine in the last 3 cycles but it is the 2 cycles above that where we are lacking (no development or acquisition of a lock down type (a King or KAT). We could have bridged the gap by getting someone from the portal but for reasons I will not rehash here we did not. So we just have pitch by committee approach and we will just hope one of Allison /Danley or Kenna can take that mantle. I am not optimistic.

Reactions: Tom81
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT