ADVERTISEMENT

22+ killed in mass shooting in Maine

Another instance where red flag laws and better background checks could have prevented tragedy. This guy was likely already on the polices radar which is another alarming trend.
Apparently Maine has almost literally 0 firearm laws. This guy had been in a mental health facility this summer and he’s able to access a semi automatic rifle. #America

Reactions: BrianNole777
Apparently Maine has almost literally 0 firearm laws. This guy had been in a mental health facility this summer and he’s able to access a semi automatic rifle. #America
Worse yet he made threats to shoot up the National Guard Armory that he's a member of and is an actual firearms instructor. Not only can he access firearms but can train others to use them. Why wouldn't this alarm law enforcement and why would this not trigger some sort of response from police, fbi, National Guard ect...

The zero laws is concerning but even without them this guy was setting off alarms and nothing happened.

This feels like it could be a long man hunt. Military guy in a state like Maine could disappear into the woods for a while if he planned it out.

This feels like it could be a long man hunt. Military guy in a state like Maine could disappear into the woods for awhile if he planned it out.
No doubt. Would like nothing more than for LE to put this psycho down but it looks like he's already in hiding. If so, it will take some effort to find him and take him down.

Reactions: fsufool
LOL, every week we have a mass shooting, you just don't hear about the majority of them.
We always hear about mass shootings and while tragic it doesn't really shed light on the larger issues. What gets highlighted is the guns not all the other preventable factors that allowed the shooting to happen. We should be publicizing all murders equally to show that there is a problem in this country with violence, mental health and criminal activity among others.

Israel has strict gun laws and most don't own guns. However the Israeli government started giving guns to citizens after the Hamas attack. Gun control would not have stopped this but as Geddy mentioned, otherwise could have prevented it. Short of locking him up, once the red flags were in place, I don't know how it could have been prevented.

Israel has strict gun laws and most don't own guns. However the Israeli government started giving guns to citizens after the Hamas attack. Gun control would not have stopped this but as Geddy mentioned, otherwise could have prevented it. Short of locking him up, once the red flags were in place, I don't know how it could have been prevented.
I’m aware that Israel loosened some gun restrictions after the Hamas attacks but haven’t heard about giving guns to citizens. Any link to that?
In any event, what’s the connection between Israeli gun policy in response to the Hamas attacks and the Maine mass shooting?

I’m aware that Israel loosened some gun restrictions after the Hamas attacks but haven’t heard about giving guns to citizens. Any link to that?
In any event, what’s the connection between Israeli gun policy in response to the Hamas attacks and the Maine mass shooting?
The connection is that armed citizens can protect themselves. Reduce the carnage. The shooter in the US was trained but one or more armed citizens could have slowed him down and prevented some deaths. Hamas was likely not as trained as the armed shooter in the us. Some casualties could have been prevented.

Reactions: noletaire
The connection is that armed citizens can protect themselves. Reduce the carnage. The shooter in the US was trained but one or more armed citizens could have slowed him down and prevented some deaths. Hamas was likely not as trained as the armed shooter in the us. Some casualties could have been prevented.

Your linked article says absolutely zero to support your claim that “the Israeli government started giving guns to citizens”, since that didn’t happen. Takes a huge hyperbole leap to get from easing the permit process to handing guns out.
And when Hamas starts attacking Mainers from Canada, I guess your analogy might make more sense.
SMH

Did you read the article?

"
The gun licenses - usually for pistols, rather than rifles - once took months to process. They can now be obtained in just days online. Before, it was mostly veterans of military combat units or residents of frontline towns who qualified. Now a year of civilian national service can suffice, the police ministry says.
"Gun stores and shooting ranges have been working overtime to accommodate the sudden demand, with some former advocates of stricter firearms controls among the new clients."

Most all Israeli citizens have a year of national service.

Technically true the Israelis did not give guns to citizens. However the meaning of the author is that gun control was strictly relaxed. Apparently you cannot distinguish between the literal words and the context of what the author is saying.

Reactions: noletaire
Did you read the article?

"
The gun licenses - usually for pistols, rather than rifles - once took months to process. They can now be obtained in just days online. Before, it was mostly veterans of military combat units or residents of frontline towns who qualified. Now a year of civilian national service can suffice, the police ministry says.
"Gun stores and shooting ranges have been working overtime to accommodate the sudden demand, with some former advocates of stricter firearms controls among the new clients."

Most all Israeli citizens have a year of national service.

Technically true the Israelis did not give guns to citizens. However the meaning of the author is that gun control was strictly relaxed. Apparently you cannot distinguish between the literal words and the context of what the author is saying.
I can read just fine.
Not a big fan of people inflaming any tragedy by recklessly spewing falsehoods on a message board or anywhere.
The Israeli government has not been handing out guns to its citizens, as you originally claimed.
And again, Israel easing some of its gun restrictions has nothing to do with the Maine mass shooter tragedy.

LOL............you haven't been to Lewiston Maine. Lots of guns in citizens hands..........lots of them.

Reactions: BrianNole777
LOL............you haven't been to Lewiston Maine. Lots of guns in citizens hands..........lots of them.
It seems none of the gun owners in Lewiston we're at the site of the shootings. Or maybe they were and we just haven't heard about it.

I can read just fine.
Not a big fan of people inflaming any tragedy by recklessly spewing falsehoods on a message board or anywhere.
The Israeli government has not been handing out guns to its citizens, as you originally claimed.
And again, Israel easing some of its gun restrictions has nothing to do with the Maine mass shooter tragedy.
Five minutes ago while watching BBC news, BBC stated that many are volunteering for the police force, and they are being given guns by the Israeli government. They stated that citizens are being armed by the government. BOOM! Game over.

Five minutes ago while watching BBC news, BBC stated that many are volunteering for the police force, and they are being given guns by the Israeli government. They stated that citizens are being armed by the government. BOOM! Game over.
And it follows that one of those Israeli citizens who joined a security squad to get a government issued gun must have killed the Maine shooter, since he was found dead today.
Super valuable contribution to the thread after all!
Maybe you’ll get some kind of commendation.

One thing I’m curious about is this… there were 18 killed and 13 injured. When I saw the first report I remember something like 30+ killed and 50+ injured. Where do these numbers come from???

Reactions: GeddyLee09
A very sad Lol at anybody minimizing or deflecting from the reality of the mass shooting epidemic for which our great nation is rightly infamous around the globe.

“Narrative” my ass. Try that narrative bs with any of the way too many thousands of victims’ families and friends.

Condolences to all those impacted by this avoidable Maine mass shooting, and all the mass shootings that came before and continue after.

A very sad Lol at anybody minimizing or deflecting from the reality of the mass shooting epidemic for which our great nation is rightly infamous around the globe.

“Narrative” my ass. Try that narrative bs with any of the way too many thousands of victims’ families and friends.

Condolences to all those impacted by this avoidable Maine mass shooting, and all the mass shootings that came before and continue after.
Well, my dad worked law enforcement for nearly 45 years so I have a little insight. I also have a masters degree in criminal behavioral analysis and have studied many of these numbers. National heads have grown too complacent to anything besides “mass” shootings. It seems like there are one or two shootings in Jacksonville every day.

Reactions: GeddyLee09
This thread is kind of all over place. I do hope that the U.S. is able to peacefully dissolve and subsequently reorganize into at least two more culturally cohesive nations in the relatively near future.

Mass shootings are terrible and terrifying. They impact individuals and communities differently, like hate crimes and acts of terrorism impact us differently. When I started in the mental health field, I anticipated dealing with suicides and homicides by gun regularly; I never imagined that I would be responding to a mass shooting in my community, on average, once per year.

What would your preferred gun laws be?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT