ADVERTISEMENT

4 fumbles, 4 interceptions, & a blocked FG

NebNoles

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Jan 27, 2017
Omaha, NE
I doubt many - if any - games were won with that statline. And yet, it took that 4th fumble (2nd lost) to finally put us away.

People are questioning the offensive playcalling - it was a bit unusual - but we still gained 470 yards, 224 of which were on the ground, without a scholarship RB. The play calls that set up our first TD were great, & the calls to get the defense to bite on the slant on Terry’s slant and go were excellent. People are questioning Terry playing Wildcat, but the goal was to get our playmaker the ball as often as we could, & that call gained us about 10 yards before the fumble.

The only thing I question was continuing to play JB, but because Hornibrook wasn’t there, and Travis, who pretty obviously can’t throw, couldn’t run by the end, I feel like JB was played out of necessity rather than choice. And again, the last play was keeping the ball out of his hands and putting the ball in our best offensive weapon’s hands. I’m good with that.

Quick thoughts:
- Terry finished the season with 60 catches, 1188 yards and 9 touchdowns. If we get more consistency from the QB, OL, & Terry himself, the potential is absurd.
- Gainer finished the season 3rd in tackles, sacks, and TFL, 2nd in FF’s, and tied for 1st in FR’s. Not bad for a guy who only started due to Woodbey’s injury.
- Who else is absolutely ecstatic to see good special teams play?
- Thank you, defense, for playing your hearts out & not allowing a single TD, even after 6 turnovers and a blocked FG. (Granted, we didn’t get an opportunity to give up a TD after the last 2 turnovers :) )

Last thought: the Taggart era produced 2 losing seasons. Jimbo left the program in dumps (5-6, so also a losing season for Jimbo), & Taggart did incredibly poorly to turn things around. And yesterday seemed to encapsulate the era. A perfectly obnoxious representation. But its over. Done. Finally. As fans we can choose to dwell on the last 3 years while hoping the players aren’t dwelling, or we can choose to maintain our excitement over what’s coming. Our players will work harder, play smarter, and be put into positions to succeed. So feel free to sulk, but know our players won’t be sulking.

PS thought - Terry’s tweet shows how much he cares. He’ll be motivated for 2020 and his motivation will create the attitude we need as a team. I hope he’s our offensive captain next year.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News