ADVERTISEMENT

70's Tally restaurant

Thompson's down on South Monroe had a huhwuuuge burger.
Frisch's Big Boy
Shell Oyster Bar
___ @ West Tennessee and White Drive...steak and turf?
Mom and Pops Italian out Appalachee Parkway
Lum's with beer fried hot dogs

What was the restaurant where the servers sang to the customers? They were mostly music majors. It was a pretty entertaining joint, lively

I remember, too, the drive-in on Apalachee Pkwy. Saw Willard the Rat movie there

As a complete Sidenote that FFB team I played for may have given us the ugliest uniforms that were ever created in baseball. Maroon aka purplybrown pants with a cardinal red side stripe, bright shiny silver almost chrome tops with purplebrown and bright red lettering with a bright Cardinal red hat. Just because a bank logo may look good with clashing colors like maroon and bright red doesn't mean jerseys will look good with it.

Sidenote 2, that FFB monstrosity was only the second most embarassing uniform I ever wore. I was on a late 80's speedskating (roller not ice) team that traveled and competed all over the Deep South but it was sponsored by Rainbow Roller Rink. I apologize ahead of time to my gay friends on here because as an adult I would have rolled with it with a laugh but little 10-11 yo Tribe could not stomach being in skintight rainbow striped spandex shorts with a bright yellow spandex shirt and a blue with a friendly rainbow image on the front helmet cover. After my first year, I threw enough of a temper tantrum over such a Key West oriented uniform that I demanded and was granted permission from my Mom to be on another much further away team just because their colors (pre-Bucs color change but probably based on the old Bandits) were blood red, pewter and black.

Mom and Dad's
Subway Station
Chanello's (not sure if it was still open in 70's)

The Sizzler!!!!

They were buffet before buffet was cool.

I used to work near there and me and some co-workers would hit the buffet at least once a week. They definitely did not make money off of me.

Yes it was Silver Slipper. Used to be on South Monroe within walking distance of the Capitol. They had private dining rooms so the legislators could drink like fish and out of sight of the public. This was back starting in the 50's I believe. Later on they moved to the lower floor of the Northwood Mall, Tally's first "mall" which is now the DBPR Building off of N. Monroe. They had fabulous steaks and a salad dressing that was so good they had to start selling it in containers for fans of the restaurant.

The Sizzler!!!!

They were buffet before buffet was cool.
$2.50 for a steak, salad and a huge potato. A bunch of us from the sorority house would see what was for dinner and if it was the dreaded mystery meat we'd sneak out and go across the street, cutting through the Fine Arts Bldg. Parking lot. Then we'd stop at the Blizzard on the way back - oh for the times when we didn't count calories.

Chanelo's--for some reason, I loved their pizza; and it was still around going into the late 70s.

No love for Howard Johnson's? All the fish you can eat Tuesday nights and all the fried chicken you could eat on Friday nights. A poor freshman's dream come true.

Went to Trawlers once when my uncle came down from Ohio and paid. Dave's Subway on Tennessee was the place after hours at the Pastime beering

I worked at the Northwood Publix while going to school and would hit JJ's at least once a week.

Two other places I haven't heard mentioned are Morrison's cafeteria and Duff's cafeteria.

I remember Duff's. I felt like a bovine standing in a stall while the carousel went round and round and we waited for the fried chicken and beef stroganoff to come around again. I think it was about $3.50 for all u can eat in 1973 or so. There was a joint at 5 Corners all u can eat chicken that was good, too

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT