ADVERTISEMENT

Anchor Babies

American citizen.

I'm going to leave you to your xenophobic, my European ancestors were allowed to immigrate based on a signature; Hispanics, Asians and far eastern Europeans were not permitted to become citizens under the law; take there chief.
A good friend's parents were from the Ukraine. When they were denied entrance into the US legally at Ellis Island, they went to Cuba where Anita was born and was 16 by the time they were able to legally enter this country about 67 years ago. I bet you can guess how she and her second generation American husband feel about what's going on at the Mexican border.

American citizen does not adequately describe the circumstances of the babies being labeled "anchor babies."

Some of you are so full of such paranoia that it's absurd. "If it's coming to what I think or hear about..." Turn the damn channel or realize you're paranoid. Goodness people are panicky when they are living in the best time to be alive during the history of our existence. Freaking lottery winners crying like they did something heroic or passed a !@$@#!@ entrance exam to be born to their parents.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
I'm concerned about the income/wealth disparity more than anything. Poor people of ALL races face an uphill battle. Some of it is racism and some of it is poor personal choices, or both. There are also fewer opportunities for stable, well-paying jobs for people with no college degree or who aren't skilled in a trade.

Reactions: RTM58 and goldmom
Some of you are so full of such paranoia that it's absurd. "If it's coming to what I think or hear about..." Turn the damn channel or realize you're paranoid. Goodness people are panicky when they are living in the best time to be alive during the history of our existence. Freaking lottery winners crying like they did something heroic or passed a !@$@#!@ entrance exam to be born to their parents.
Makes me think of an old Kinks song.

I'm concerned about the income/wealth disparity more than anything. Poor people of ALL races face an uphill battle. Some of it is racism and some of it is poor personal choices, or both. There are also fewer opportunities for stable, well-paying jobs for people with no college degree or who aren't skilled in a trade.

Seriously, and I mean SERIOUSLY, who benefits the most of illegal immigration? The very VERY rich! Who benefits the least? Minorities and the very poor and elderly. With 1-2 or 10 million illegals taking jobs that forces those with low skills, young first time workers or the elderly that work to supplement their SSI to take less and less, and that's if they can get a job. Who makes the killings? The very very rich that can lower wages to slave wages. The huge corporations that don't have to feel the pressure of higher wages. Remember the CEO from Facebook telling investors "don't worry, soon wages will be lower by 25% across the board". Soon after that he basically laid off his IT staff and made them train his cheap replacements.
You have roughly 5 million people that are (80% estimated, some say as high as 90%) illiterate in their own language. Does that sound like a group that will assimilate? They want to escape the hell that's Mexico yet they want to bring Mexico into the U.S...

Reactions: goldmom

As someone who leans right this is a good post and should be a concern. Let's take care of our citizens first...

Reactions: goldmom
Makes me think of an old Kinks song.
We Gotta Get Out of This Place?? My anthem for my senior year of high school. :)

Those who believe this is the greatest time in America must be much younger than I.

And indeed we won the best lottery of all being born American.

My dad came over here from the Philippines by joining the U.S. Navy. At that time, they couldn't be much more than cooks. Even though that would be considered discrimination by many today, my dad never thought of it that way and loved the Navy and would have recommended anyone to join it. While the Philippines have a special agreement with the U.S. that allows them to join the military, he did so legally. Many of his brothers came over by joining the Navy also, then followed the legal way to get his parents here and his sisters. All his brothers retired from the military and his sisters have all been Nurses here with one of them having retired from nursing and the other close to retiring from nursing. Most of those that come to the U.S. illegally is a slap in the face to those that chose to come over here legally in my opinion.

Duval, those of us who grew up in Jax remember lots of Phillipine nurses at the local hospitals and also I remember lots of Filipinos at my Catholic Church. Rock solid folks.

Reactions: West Duval Nole
My dad came over here from the Philippines by joining the U.S. Navy. At that time, they couldn't be much more than cooks. Even though that would be considered discrimination by many today, my dad never thought of it that way and loved the Navy and would have recommended anyone to join it. While the Philippines have a special agreement with the U.S. that allows them to join the military, he did so legally. Many of his brothers came over by joining the Navy also, then followed the legal way to get his parents here and his sisters. All his brothers retired from the military and his sisters have all been Nurses here with one of them having retired from nursing and the other close to retiring from nursing. Most of those that come to the U.S. illegally is a slap in the face to those that chose to come over here legally in my opinion.

My father in law came over to the US from the Philippines via the navy as well, was also a cook. Once he completed his duties with the Navy he went to John's Hopkins and became one of the first Physicians Assistance in country....I want to say he was the first class to graduate from JH for it. Back then a PA was basically like a male nurse. Luckily for him PA's morphed into something much more prominent and better paying. He makes well over 6 figures now and is an absolute class act. Also lives in jax.

Last edited:
Reactions: West Duval Nole
My father and law came over to the US from the Philippines via the navy as well, was also a cook. Once he completed his duties with the Navy he went to John's Hopkins and became one of the first Physicians Assistance in country....I want to say he was the first class to graduate from JH for it. Back then a PA was basically like a male nurse. Luckily for him PA's morphed into something much more prominent and better paying. He makes well over 6 figures now and is an absolute class act. Also lives in jax.

Awesome. After my father retired from the navy, he actually became a Registered Nurse and retired from that as well.

Reactions: DanC78
American citizen.

I'm going to leave you to your xenophobic, my European ancestors were allowed to immigrate based on a signature; Hispanics, Asians and far eastern Europeans were not permitted to become citizens under the law; take there chief.

Xenophobic. Another fine example of the tolerance of "tolerant left". If you disagree that anybody born here is automatically a citizen, you are a xenophobe, because you possibly couldn't have a rational reason for opposing it.

The original purpose of the 14th amendment was to ensure that slaves would be US citizens. The amendment has outlived its usefulness.

Original intent of the 14th Amendment
The 14th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution reads in part:

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and the State wherein they reside."

Babies born to illegal alien mothers within U.S. borders are called anchor babies because under the 1965 immigration Act, they act as an anchor that pulls the illegal alien mother and eventually a host of other relatives into permanent U.S. residency. (Jackpot babies is another term).

The United States did not limit immigration in 1868 when the Fourteenth Amendment was ratified. Thus there were, by definition, no illegal immigrants and the issue of citizenship for children of those here in violation of the law was nonexistent. Granting of automatic citizenship to children of illegal alien mothers is a recent and totally inadvertent and unforeseen result of the amendment and the Reconstructionist period in which it was ratified.

slavery_free.jpg
Post-Civil War reforms focused on injustices to African Americans. The 14th Amendment was ratified in 1868 to protect the rights of native-born Black Americans, whose rights were being denied as recently-freed slaves. It was written in a manner so as to prevent state governments from ever denying citizenship to blacks born in the United States. But in 1868, the United States had no formal immigration policy, and the authors therefore saw no need to address immigration explicitly in the amendment.

In 1866, Senator Jacob Howard clearly spelled out the intent of the 14th Amendment by stating:

"Every person born within the limits of the United States, and subject to their jurisdiction, is by virtue of natural law and national law a citizen of the United States. This will not, of course, include persons born in the United States who are foreigners, aliens, who belong to the families of ambassadors or foreign ministers accredited to the Government of the United States, but will include every other class of persons. It settles the great question of citizenship and removes all doubt as to what persons are or are not citizens of the United States. This has long been a great desideratum in the jurisprudence and legislation of this country."

This understanding was reaffirmed by Senator Edward Cowan, who stated:

"[A foreigner in the United States] has a right to the protection of the laws; but he is not a citizen in the ordinary acceptance of the word..."

The phrase "subject to the jurisdiction thereof" was intended to exclude American-born persons from automatic citizenship whose allegiance to the United States was not complete. With illegal aliens who are unlawfully in the United States, their native country has a claim of allegiance on the child. Thus, the completeness of their allegiance to the United States is impaired, which therefore precludes automatic citizenship.

Supreme Court decisions
The correct interpretation of the 14th Amendment is that an illegal alien mother is subject to the jurisdiction of her native country, as is her baby.

Over a century ago, the Supreme Court appropriately confirmed this restricted interpretation of citizenship in the so-called "Slaughter-House cases" [83 US 36 (1873) and 112 US 94 (1884)]13. In the 1884 Elk v.Wilkins case12, the phrase "subject to its jurisdiction" was interpreted to exclude "children of ministers, consuls, and citizens of foreign states born within the United States." In Elk, the American Indian claimant was considered not an American citizen because the law required him to be "not merely subject in some respect or degree to the jurisdiction of the United States, but completely subject to their political jurisdiction and owing them direct and immediate allegiance."

The Court essentially stated that the status of the parents determines the citizenship of the child. To qualify children for birthright citizenship, based on the 14th Amendment, parents must owe "direct and immediate allegiance" to the U.S. and be "completely subject" to its jurisdiction. In other words, they must be United States citizens.

Congress subsequently passed a special act to grant full citizenship to American Indians, who were not citizens even through they were born within the borders of the United States. The Citizens Act of 1924, codified in 8USCSß1401, provides that:

The following shall be nationals and citizens of the United States at birth:
(a) a person born in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof;
(b) a person born in the United States to a member of an Indian, Eskimo, Aleutian, or other aboriginal tribe.

In 1898, the Wong Kim Ark Supreme Court case10,11 once again, in a ruling based strictly on the 14th Amendment, concluded that the status of the parents was crucial in determining the citizenship of the child. The current misinterpretation of the 14th Amendment is based in part upon the presumption that the Wong Kim Ark ruling encompassed illegal aliens. In fact, it did not address the children of illegal aliens and non-immigrant aliens, but rather determined an allegiance for legal immigrant parents based on the meaning of the word domicil(e). Since it is inconceivable that illegal alien parents could have a legal domicile in the United States, the ruling clearly did not extend birthright citizenship to children of illegal alien parents. Indeed, the ruling strengthened the original intent of the 14th Amendment.

The original intent of the 14th Amendment was clearly not to facilitate illegal aliens defying U.S. law and obtaining citizenship for their offspring, nor obtaining benefits at taxpayer expense. Current estimates indicate there may be between 300,000 and 700,000 anchor babies born each year in the U.S., thus causing illegal alien mothers to add more to the U.S. population each year than immigration from all sources in an average year before 1965. (See consequences.)

American citizens must be wary of elected politicians voting to illegally extend our generous social benefits to illegal aliens and other criminals.

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and the State wherein they reside."

Babies born to illegal alien mothers within U.S. borders are called anchor babies because under the 1965 immigration Act, they act as an anchor that pulls the illegal alien mother and eventually a host of other relatives into permanent U.S. residency. (Jackpot babies is another term).

The United States did not limit immigration in 1868 when the Fourteenth Amendment was ratified. Thus there were, by definition, no illegal immigrants and the issue of citizenship for children of those here in violation of the law was nonexistent. Granting of automatic citizenship to children of illegal alien mothers is a recent and totally inadvertent and unforeseen result of the amendment and the Reconstructionist period in which it was ratified.

slavery_free.jpg
Post-Civil War reforms focused on injustices to African Americans. The 14th Amendment was ratified in 1868 to protect the rights of native-born Black Americans, whose rights were being denied as recently-freed slaves. It was written in a manner so as to prevent state governments from ever denying citizenship to blacks born in the United States. But in 1868, the United States had no formal immigration policy, and the authors therefore saw no need to address immigration explicitly in the amendment.

In 1866, Senator Jacob Howard clearly spelled out the intent of the 14th Amendment by stating:

"Every person born within the limits of the United States, and subject to their jurisdiction, is by virtue of natural law and national law a citizen of the United States. This will not, of course, include persons born in the United States who are foreigners, aliens, who belong to the families of ambassadors or foreign ministers accredited to the Government of the United States, but will include every other class of persons. It settles the great question of citizenship and removes all doubt as to what persons are or are not citizens of the United States. This has long been a great desideratum in the jurisprudence and legislation of this country."

"[A foreigner in the United States] has a right to the protection of the laws; but he is not a citizen in the ordinary acceptance of the word..."

The phrase "subject to the jurisdiction thereof" was intended to exclude American-born persons from automatic citizenship whose allegiance to the United States was not complete. With illegal aliens who are unlawfully in the United States, their native country has a claim of allegiance on the child. Thus, the completeness of their allegiance to the United States is impaired, which therefore precludes automatic citizenship.

Supreme Court decisions
The correct interpretation of the 14th Amendment is that an illegal alien mother is subject to the jurisdiction of her native country, as is her baby.

Over a century ago, the Supreme Court appropriately confirmed this restricted interpretation of citizenship in the so-called "Slaughter-House cases" [83 US 36 (1873) and 112 US 94 (1884)]13. In the 1884 Elk v.Wilkins case12, the phrase "subject to its jurisdiction" was interpreted to exclude "children of ministers, consuls, and citizens of foreign states born within the United States." In Elk, the American Indian claimant was considered not an American citizen because the law required him to be "not merely subject in some respect or degree to the jurisdiction of the United States, but completely subject to their political jurisdiction and owing them direct and immediate allegiance."

The Court essentially stated that the status of the parents determines the citizenship of the child. To qualify children for birthright citizenship, based on the 14th Amendment, parents must owe "direct and immediate allegiance" to the U.S. and be "completely subject" to its jurisdiction. In other words, they must be United States citizens.

Congress subsequently passed a special act to grant full citizenship to American Indians, who were not citizens even through they were born within the borders of the United States. The Citizens Act of 1924, codified in 8USCSß1401, provides that:

(b) a person born in the United States to a member of an Indian, Eskimo, Aleutian, or other aboriginal tribe.

In 1898, the Wong Kim Ark Supreme Court case10,11 once again, in a ruling based strictly on the 14th Amendment, concluded that the status of the parents was crucial in determining the citizenship of the child. The current misinterpretation of the 14th Amendment is based in part upon the presumption that the Wong Kim Ark ruling encompassed illegal aliens. In fact, it did not address the children of illegal aliens and non-immigrant aliens, but rather determined an allegiance for legal immigrant parents based on the meaning of the word domicil(e). Since it is inconceivable that illegal alien parents could have a legal domicile in the United States, the ruling clearly did not extend birthright citizenship to children of illegal alien parents. Indeed, the ruling strengthened the original intent of the 14th Amendment.

The original intent of the 14th Amendment was clearly not to facilitate illegal aliens defying U.S. law and obtaining citizenship for their offspring, nor obtaining benefits at taxpayer expense. Current estimates indicate there may be between 300,000 and 700,000 anchor babies born each year in the U.S., thus causing illegal alien mothers to add more to the U.S. population each year than immigration from all sources in an average year before 1965. (See consequences.)

American citizens must be wary of elected politicians voting to illegally extend our generous social benefits to illegal aliens and other criminals.

Nice copy-paste. Seems like a one-sided article written by some nativist xenophobe.

Xenophobic. Another fine example of the tolerance of "tolerant left". If you disagree that anybody born here is automatically a citizen, you are a xenophobe, because you possibly couldn't have a rational reason for opposing it.

The original purpose of the 14th amendment was to ensure that slaves would be US citizens. The amendment has outlived its usefulness.

Oh please you righties are out here calling babies demeaning names but the moment someone calls you out you get butthurt

Oh please you righties are out here calling babies demeaning names but the moment someone calls you out you get butthurt
Illegal unborn babies: MOAR PLEASE!
Citizen unborn babies: ABORT EM!

This president caused this on purpose, he wanted the flood of illegals that's why they basically swept under the rug the hard core criminals that were caught up in the net. All of a sudden out of the blue thousands of children from central America just happen to decide to walk here for no reason other than "why not"?
Politics makes whores out of us all, but in this case it's all about turning a red Te4xas into a blue Texas, the hell with the country.
We have the lower worker participation rate since statistics were kept. We have the mega rich cashing in (Obama is so against the mega rich that he basically gave them a printing press) on the destruction of the middle class and the poor. With millions of undocumented aliens if your in a business that hires a lot of them you have no shot at advancement. $8 starting turns to $10, which turns to $12 which turns to $15, then management, etc.. Today it's $8........and 1000 that will take your place if you demand more.
That's why Obama and the walking dead left are trying to get to $15. With this "leader" the ONLY chance for a raise is if it's government forced, but if it is then manufacturing goes to China since all their contracts are "wage plus"..
Xenophobe is fine with me, reality is what it is. Let the rich and famous pay a real wage to have their lawns cared for and to clean and cook..

slavery_free.jpg

Supreme Court decisions

I'm not sure anyone on the right should start talking about intent of any of the amendments, because I've got a 2nd amendment that's just waiting to get updated as well.

Illegal unborn babies: MOAR PLEASE!
Citizen unborn babies: ABORT EM!
Neither of these characterizations is at all accurate. Not sure what bizarre political cartoon you found these in. I trust you're too smart to have thought up such nonsense yourself.

I'm not sure anyone on the right should start talking about intent of any of the amendments, because I've got a 2nd amendment that's just waiting to get updated as well.

I'm not concerned about a review of the meaning or intent of the 2nd amendment. The history is not as fuzzy as some would like to presume.
Even Bernie Sanders recognizes that open borders and welfare states are incompatible.
I do not think that violating immigration law should be turned into a shortcut to citizenship.

Of course we could just make a law like Germany has, if you hire an illegal you face a fine of 10K Euro's the first offense PER WORKER. Of course we'd need a national database, and just like no to voter ID the Dems want illegals so it's NO to that as well. We could do a back ground check in 10 minutes, dry up the end user and you remove the user.. Of course we still allow food stamps, housing, free healthcare and welfare for even admitted illegals, so that end wouldn't change..

Of course we could just make a law like Germany has, if you hire an illegal you face a fine of 10K Euro's the first offense PER WORKER. Of course we'd need a national database, and just like no to voter ID the Dems want illegals so it's NO to that as well. We could do a back ground check in 10 minutes, dry up the end user and you remove the user.. Of course we still allow food stamps, housing, free healthcare and welfare for even admitted illegals, so that end wouldn't change..

Exactly. My employer uses Everify. There's no reason why every company can't use it. Likewise, you need proof of citizenship when returning from travel abroad. Why we can't we enforce ID checks when voting? I guess nobody cares about people being "disenfranchised" from international travel.

Exactly. My employer uses Everify. There's no reason why every company can't use it. Likewise, you need proof of citizenship when returning from travel abroad. Why we can't we enforce ID checks when voting? I guess nobody cares about people being "disenfranchised" from international travel.

Because the lie is that innocent people would be hurt. Well, innocent people are hurt at everything, but that's why we make corrections. Fact is, we don't have voter ID because the democrats benefit from fraud votes, we don't have citizen proof or legal status proof because Republicans help the rich businesses pad their pockets.. Now it seems the democrats are trying a lot of that padding as well..

Neither of these characterizations is at all accurate. Not sure what bizarre political cartoon you found these in. I trust you're too smart to have thought up such nonsense yourself.

Neither of these assertions are right at all for libs? Hmm sounds at least somewhat accurate to me. At all-- would be a cons stance.

That wouldn't work as it presumes a green card, or other legal status for the mother (parents), that isn't necessarily the case.

Next time shadows claim a few thousand lives please let me know.

"The Texas DPS report says well over 100,000 individual criminal aliens have been booked into Texas jails:

From October 2008 to April 2014, Texas identified a total 177,588 unique criminal alien defendants booked into Texas county jails. These individuals have been identified through the Secure Communities initiative, in which Texas has participated since October 2008.

There are almost certainly more criminal aliens who haven’t been identified as aliens. The 177,588 criminal aliens identified by Texas through the Secure Communities initiative only can tag criminal aliens who had already been fingerprinted. Arrests of illegal aliens who have not been fingerprinted prior to arrest are not included in these arrests numbers derived from the Secure Communities initiative.

A review of these 177,588 defendants shows that they are responsible for at least 611,234 individual criminal charges over their criminal careers, including 2,993 homicides and 7,695 sexual assaults."

And that's just in Texas...

Wow!! Scary numbers!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT