ADVERTISEMENT

Another bad fire in N. California

I’m a little more than 75 miles away as the crow flies from Paradise. Today the smoke is blowing this way. You can’t really see the sun, dog has been freaking out, empty house across the street has smoke detectors going off in every room - must have left some windows open. Wife is nervous as the winds are predicted to start up again tonight but that’s just the smoke, that fire can’t really get here. Another fire? There’s always the chance of another fire when the winds are blowing that hard. Videos are going around of the aftermath showing bodies in cars. Won’t be shared here.
So yeah, people are on edge and stupid comments from anyone aren’t appreciated. Stupid comments from someone supposed to lead...
Stay safe. The pictures and video coming out of there are incredible.

The whole state may burn up before it falls into the sea. We're headed to Carmel for a few days of r&r in December. Love to visit for a few days at a time but its's a tough place to live - for many reasons ;(

Reactions: F4Gary
I was just on Twitter and somehow stumbled upon the video with the burnt bodies. That is some crazy ish. Horrible what happened. Again, thankful for the little things.

I have traveled to California for business and pleasure no less than 40 times, and have a sister and her family who live out there in Marin County. I am not a geologist, nor am I commenting on plate tectonics, only pointing out some misguided comments that have been made repeatedly for many years. California has many problems beyond the stated that are anything but "cartoonish". Sorry to make light of the situation. Obviously you live there and see a different side of California than I have on my many visits ;)

The fire in Malibu wiped out Gerard Butler's house -

DrvgtsSU0AAVPkY.jpg

Gerard Butler
Returned to my house in Malibu after evacuating. Heartbreaking time across California. Inspired as ever by the courage, spirit and sacrifice of firefighters. Thank you @LAFD. If you can, support these brave men and women at http://SupportLAFD.org.

Reactions: Random_John
After this, the next stage is lava sharks with frickin lasers traveling a sharknado made of fire.

tXcK8Cc.gif

Last edited:
The fire in Malibu wiped out Gerard Butler's house -

DrvgtsSU0AAVPkY.jpg

Gerard Butler
Returned to my house in Malibu after evacuating. Heartbreaking time across California. Inspired as ever by the courage, spirit and sacrifice of firefighters. Thank you @LAFD. If you can, support these brave men and women at http://SupportLAFD.org.

Looks like we lost another 60s Bronco.

I am sure he has another 3 houses or so, but that must suck to have NOTHING remaining. Looks like that was a nice garage (I'd expect nothing less).

Looks like we lost another 60s Bronco.

I am sure he has another 3 houses or so, but that must suck to have NOTHING remaining. Looks like that was a nice garage (I'd expect nothing less).

With all those steel I-beams, he could have been operating a 4 ton crane in there. I bet it was a very nice place and sad to see so many people lose their homes and lives in this fire.

With all those steel I-beams, he could have been operating a 4 ton crane in there. I bet it was a very nice place and sad to see so many people lose their homes and lives in this fire.

Earthquake / mudslide protection for his home - if it rains after a fire like this, the defoliated areas can break loose and go roaring downhill. The Malibu fire in '93 was bad, the mudslides a few months later were worse.

Reactions: Random_John
The shear destruction of this amazingly fast moving fire is unfathomable. I saw somewhere that the fire was moving at 30 football fields a minute. That is why so many died in their cars and homes. Which, dying by fire has to be one of the worst ways to go. So very sad.

Reactions: noleclone2
I’m a little more than 75 miles away as the crow flies from Paradise. Today the smoke is blowing this way. You can’t really see the sun, dog has been freaking out, empty house across the street has smoke detectors going off in every room - must have left some windows open. Wife is nervous as the winds are predicted to start up again tonight but that’s just the smoke, that fire can’t really get here. Another fire? There’s always the chance of another fire when the winds are blowing that hard. Videos are going around of the aftermath showing bodies in cars. Won’t be shared here.
So yeah, people are on edge and stupid comments from anyone aren’t appreciated. Stupid comments from someone supposed to lead...
Belem, best wishes to you and all the others who could be affected. The pictures of the burnt areas are just horrific. I agree that the comments from our "leader" are not helping.

BTW, if a fire does start up near you, will you be able to quickly get out and get to somewhere safe?

The strong winds are gone from my part of the state - any fire around me shouldn’t be a big deal if the winds are calm. And we’re not in a high risk area to begin with. So as long as the winds have settled and the existing fires are acting like regular fires and not wind driven events we have little to fear. Rain is predicted next Wednesday, just hoping things stay calm until then.
But I’ll be glad when the smoke clears.

The strong winds are gone from my part of the state - any fire around me shouldn’t be a big deal if the winds are calm. And we’re not in a high risk area to begin with. So as long as the winds have settled and the existing fires are acting like regular fires and not wind driven events we have little to fear. Rain is predicted next Wednesday, just hoping things stay calm until then.
But I’ll be glad when the smoke clears.
I just got back from trip to Bay area late last night, the smoke was terribly unhealthy and hard to avoid, i can see why masks seemed to be common. A white smog ran the coast from Santa Rosa to SF. Oakland was a tad better down to San Jose.
hopefully everyone stays as safe as can be, it was surprising how many wildfires are going at once across the state.
CA is so brown, grass looked like straw

The sky doesn’t. I’m in the hospital today (dad is having heart surgery) and the smoke is so bad the even the hospitals hvac system can’t keep the smoke out. I’m up here in the icu and it smells like a campfire.

The sky doesn’t. I’m in the hospital today (dad is having heart surgery) and the smoke is so bad the even the hospitals hvac system can’t keep the smoke out. I’m up here in the icu and it smells like a campfire.
They are all wearing masks in Chico. My sis says it looks like it is snowing.

This was Friday at noon

Reactions: PoopandBoogers
Death toll has risen to 63 but they have now adjusted numbers of missing UP from 200s to 631. Holy crap.

Death toll has risen to 63 but they have now adjusted numbers of missing UP from 200s to 631. Holy crap.
I’ve read that ID of victims has in some cases been stymied by the loss of dental records due to dental practices being burnt out. Jeez. Tuff situation in so many ways.
Hang tuff, Cali.

I’m clearly not a fire expert.

But I’ve noticed in most all the pictures online and in tv, the houses are completely burned to the ground, but all the trees around the houses remain.

No conspiracy here, just found that odd and interesting.

california-wildfires-toll-reaches-65--631-remain-missing-2018-11-16.jpg

I’m clearly not a fire expert.

But I’ve noticed in most all the pictures online and in tv, the houses are completely burned to the ground, but all the trees around the houses remain.

No conspiracy here, just found that odd and interesting.

california-wildfires-toll-reaches-65--631-remain-missing-2018-11-16.jpg

Normal. The fire is hot enough to burn and move across the ground to burn the ground cover, small trees/wood and more flammable items. A home is full of dry wood and combustable items. A living tree is full of water so the fire burns across the tree, sometimes kills it. In many instances, with a healthy bark system, the tree itself can survive. For the ones that die, CA will now have to resolve how to deal with all the trees which will be coming down in the next couple of years and forming a new layer of combustable material. Consider how usually throwing a huge log on a fire, the log doesn't always catch, and certainly not a green one.

Forestry article on it. https://www.nationalforests.org/our...ine/how-trees-survive-and-thrive-after-a-fire

Fast, hot fire that doesn't seem to even climbed up the trees. Notice in the back ground how many trees have leaves/needles still on them. But everything on the ground is down to ash and dirt. We have many forests in CO that have survived the fires but everything else is gone and then comes back.

Now if they had raked the forest, this might have been prevented.

Last edited:
Redwoods need fire to help open their cones so the seeds can spread.

I see the governor is now wanting to relax some of the rules so loggers can go in, cut roads, and do some thinning of the forest. Those burnt trees still have some good wood in them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DanC78
Redwoods need fire to help open their cones so the seeds can spread.

I see the governor is now wanting to relax some of the rules so loggers can go in, cut roads, and do some thinning of the forest. Those burnt trees still have some good wood in them.

The thing is - CA has been paying for thinning of dead trees for years now. Problem is that we can't find enough people willing to go in and take out the drought killed trees. The logging cos are just interested in expanding operations on healthy forests - not all the dead fuel that's all over the place.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT