ADVERTISEMENT

Any attorneys here?

I understand the draw. DC is a fun city if you're young and ambitious. Great food and nightlife. Lots of history. Chance to meet movers and shakers.
I was poor as shit when I lived in NoVa and I still had a lot of fun.
Almost went to GW as well. Decided I didn't really want to be a lawyer.

I love DC, but I've spent a lot of time in the area. Cousins lived in Potomac before HHI, and Aunt and Uncle lived in Rockville. Other cousins live in Alexandria, and brother lives in Piney Point. oh, another cousin lives NW DC, I think. I can get there, but I don't really remember where it is. Nice area, though, with small older homes.

I love the food and the fact that there are so many international people living there.

My husband went to Fordham, as did one of my best friend's former fiancé. He ended up working for Treasury in DC.

My husband did IP law, which is, of course, very different ballgame.

Oh, and BTW, one of our FSU undergrad, UVA law school grads is practicing in Stamford, CT, and that qualifies as metropolitan NY, so maybe the law school only included those actually working in the city.
I'm wondering if the law school only gave the numbers of those working in the city itself.

One thing to consider also is the cost of living in DC and NYC, and trying to be a student in one of those cities.

I also forgot to mention. Much depends on the judges that you clerk for as well.

As somebody who works with a lot of people making the transition to law school and then being a law student and early career professional, I find your daughter's perspective very compelling, NoleFan2U.
Every time I feel I should push towards FSU, I think about what she said. I love Tallahassee. But the more I think about it, I love FSU. Tallahassee, not so much. I really wouldn't want to live there.

I still have no idea what the right thing to do is....but whatever choice she makes, I don't think any of them are bad choices.

I love DC, but I've spent a lot of time in the area. Cousins lived in Potomac before HHI, and Aunt and Uncle lived in Rockville. Other cousins live in Alexandria, and brother lives in Piney Point. oh, another cousin lives NW DC, I think. I can get there, but I don't really remember where it is. Nice area, though, with small older homes.

I love the food and the fact that there are so many international people living there.

My husband went to Fordham, as did one of my best friend's former fiancé. He ended up working for Treasury in DC.

My husband did IP law, which is, of course, very different ballgame.

Oh, and BTW, one of our FSU undergrad, UVA law school grads is practicing in Stamford, CT, and that qualifies as metropolitan NY, so maybe the law school only included those actually working in the city.
I'm wondering if the law school only gave the numbers of those working in the city itself.
It is entirely possible whomever she spoke with didn't understand her question or answered from the previous class or told her internship numbers?

What I have learned in the past few months is that no matter she goes, she can eventually reach her goals. One school may take longer than another to get there. After a few years, where you graduate isn't going to matter much. Your reputation will speak for itself.

Mom is footing the bill for living expenses, so there is no issue wherever she wants to live. I have worked that into my retirement early budget.

BTW--I went to Emory when we were in Atlanta for the OSU/UGA game...I love the campus!!

Every time I feel I should push towards FSU, I think about what she said. I love Tallahassee. But the more I think about it, I love FSU. Tallahassee, not so much. I really wouldn't want to live there.

I still have no idea what the right thing to do is....but whatever choice she makes, I don't think any of them are bad choices.
I had that same feeling. I left Tallahassee in 1976 because I needed more movement. It was too slow for me when I was in my 20's. That's how I ended up in Brazil, and later NY.

Reactions: NoleFan2U
It is entirely possible whomever she spoke with didn't understand her question or answered from the previous class or told her internship numbers?

What I have learned in the past few months is that no matter she goes, she can eventually reach her goals. One school may take longer than another to get there. After a few years, where you graduate isn't going to matter much. Your reputation will speak for itself.

Mom is footing the bill for living expenses, so there is no issue wherever she wants to live. I have worked that into my retirement early budget.

BTW--I went to Emory when we were in Atlanta for the OSU/UGA game...I love the campus!!
The only reason I didn't consider Emory was too many cousins nearby, too much supervision, but I'm a legacy many times over.

Reactions: NoleFan2U
The quality of life improvement that comes from living in a place that suits a person better is hard to overstate, and it has a significant impact on academic and professional success.
My heart tells me she would miserable staying in Tallahassee, but my head tells me a free ride is pretty great. I have ultimately decided the choice is hers. I will interject only if asked to do so.

Emory was the one school in the south that I seriously considered for graduate school, as there was a professor there who was doing work I liked and was in my professional network. It did not ultimately make the top 5 for me, mostly because I was really ready to leave the south at that point. The quality of life improvement that comes from living in a place that suits a person better is hard to overstate, and it has a significant impact on academic and professional success.
Very true, and there are many times that I consider this, especially after having lived in NY.

Go to FSU which is an excellent law school. Its not necessary to drive up a debt that may most likely be irrelevant to where she may start or finish her career. If she qualifies, despite the obvious politics of any location, she will strive anywhere. And there would still be no guarantees even if she did go to school up there.
Ben Matlock

My heart tells me she would miserable staying in Tallahassee, but my head tells me a free ride is pretty great. I have ultimately decided the choice is hers. I will interject only if asked to do so.

Do you know what she got on the LSAT?

I was just reading some sample questions: they were totally nuts. 😆

Do you know what she got on the LSAT?

I was just reading some sample questions: they were totally nuts. 😆
She got a 169 and will graduate with a 3.89 GPA (F-U Algebra II professor), double major of Political Science and Criminology with a minor in History. She got her brains from me, but her interest in Poly Sci and History...not so much. She took a review course and studied A LOT with practice tests a few times a week. The LSAT is used to weed people out, it does not predict on how good or bad you will do in law school.

I tried some sample questions and didn't do so hot either.

Reactions: BrianNole777
I think she should go to law school in Washington DC. That’s where she wants to be and that’s where she needs to build connections. She shouldn’t worry about the debt. Odds are she’ll find a partner in the same field or economic social class.

Just tell her not to buy a new car adding another 60k in debt.

You found them difficult?
I took the test hung over on 5 hours sleep and scored in the 94th percentile.

Wow.

Did you apply to law schools? What was your LSAT score?

This question was the one I found difficult.

Jason enters six races: biking, canoeing, horseback riding, ice skating, running, and swimming. He places between first and fifth in each. Two places are consecutive only if the place numbers are consecutive. Jason's places in canoeing and running are consecutive. His places in ice skating and swimming are consecutive. He places higher in biking than in horseback riding. He places higher in canoeing than in running.

1. If Jason places higher in running than in biking and places higher in biking than in ice skating and swimming, which one of the following allows all six of his race rankings to be determined?
A. He places fourth in horseback riding.
B. He places fourth in ice skating.
C. He places the same in both horseback riding and ice skating.
D. He places the same in both horseback riding and swimming.
E. He places higher in horseback riding than in swimming.

2. If Jason places higher in running than in biking and places higher in horseback riding than in ice skating, exactly how many of his rankings can be determined?
A. 2
B. 3
C. 4
D. 5
E. 6

3. Assume that Jason's rank in running is higher than his rank in ice skating and consecutive with it, and that his rankings in swimming and running differ. Which one of the following must be true?
A. Jason places both first and second.
B. Jason places both first and third.
C. Jason places both second and fourth.
D. Jason places both second and fifth.
E. Jason places both fourth and fifth.

Wow.

Did you apply to law schools? What was your LSAT score?

This question was the one I found difficult.

Jason enters six races: biking, canoeing, horseback riding, ice skating, running, and swimming. He places between first and fifth in each. Two places are consecutive only if the place numbers are consecutive. Jason's places in canoeing and running are consecutive. His places in ice skating and swimming are consecutive. He places higher in biking than in horseback riding. He places higher in canoeing than in running.

1. If Jason places higher in running than in biking and places higher in biking than in ice skating and swimming, which one of the following allows all six of his race rankings to be determined?
A. He places fourth in horseback riding.
B. He places fourth in ice skating.
C. He places the same in both horseback riding and ice skating.
D. He places the same in both horseback riding and swimming.
E. He places higher in horseback riding than in swimming.

2. If Jason places higher in running than in biking and places higher in horseback riding than in ice skating, exactly how many of his rankings can be determined?
A. 2
B. 3
C. 4
D. 5
E. 6

3. Assume that Jason's rank in running is higher than his rank in ice skating and consecutive with it, and that his rankings in swimming and running differ. Which one of the following must be true?
A. Jason places both first and second.
B. Jason places both first and third.
C. Jason places both second and fourth.
D. Jason places both second and fifth.
E. Jason places both fourth and fifth.

I did apply to law schools. I decided not to attend.
I don't remember my score, it was ~30 years ago.
These are all just logic puzzles. My last semester at FSU I had to take a "philosophy" course. It was just a course in logic. Most the questions on the LSAT weren't any harder than the questions I had in that class.

I did apply to law schools. I decided not to attend.
I don't remember my score, it was ~30 years ago.
These are all just logic puzzles. My last semester at FSU I had to take a "philosophy" course. It was just a course in logic. Most the questions on the LSAT weren't any harder than the questions I had in that class.

That question I posted melted my brain. I'd just choose "C." 😀

The highest LSAT score is 180. Harvard, Yale, etc. acceptances average 172, I think.

What law schools were you accepted in?

Just curious. My Dad was a trial lawyer for 50 years. It seems like a tough occupation. I worked at his office some summers. He basically argued on the phone all day...

Again, I don't recall everywhere I applied. I believe I was accepted to GW as I was living in the area. But I didn't actively pursue it other than having the lawyer for the Manhattan Project meet me for lunch one day to discuss a recommendation letter. Dad knew interesting people.
But on a flight home for Christmas I realized I didn't actually have any desire to be a lawyer and I'd just end up with another degree in a field I didn't want to work.
I think that was the correct decision.

Again, I don't recall everywhere I applied. I believe I was accepted to GW as I was living in the area. But I didn't actively pursue it other than having the lawyer for the Manhattan Project meet me for lunch one day to discuss a recommendation letter. Dad knew interesting people.
But on a flight home for Christmas I realized I didn't actually have any desire to be a lawyer and I'd just end up with another degree in a field I didn't want to work.
I think that was the correct decision.

Yeah. GW law school is good.

If you know Bethesda, I grew up there and live 15 miles north now.

Yeah. GW law school is good.

If you know Bethesda, I grew up there and live 15 miles north now.
Other than spending a night with a girls in Bethesda I don't know much about it. Other than they'll ticket you for parking against the flow of traffic.

I was over in the Alexandria area.

Other than spending a night with a girls in Bethesda I don't know much about it. Other than they'll ticket you for parking against the flow of traffic.

I was over in the Alexandria area.

This area is the lawyer capital of the world, I think.

I go to Church in Alexandria.

Old Towne is nice.

CSB.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT