ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone watching the Haunting of Hill House on Netflix?

Skipping past all of the comments in this thread for now as to not spoil the series. I just finished episode 4 or 5, the one that focused on the youngest brother. I may binge watch the rest this weekend. Not a big fan of this genre but the story is one of the more compelling I have seen in a horror series/film. So far I would give this series a 10 out of 10, well done Netflix!

Reactions: nolelan
Skipping past all of the comments in this thread for now as to not spoil the series. I just finished episode 4 or 5, the one that focused on the youngest brother. I may binge watch the rest this weekend. Not a big fan of this genre but the story is one of the more compelling I have seen in a horror series/film. So far I would give this series a 10 out of 10, well done Netflix!
I have started rewatching. Looking for all the "hidden" ghosts.

I thought it was really well done. Wasn't super into it, but I think it's because I just wasn't paying close enough attention, and there are a lot of characters, and have to keep them straight in different timelines. It just didn't grip me enough to keep me off my phone, and so I think I missed some of the nuance of what was going on. I did think the ending, while it confused me, was well executed. It was well acted throughout.

I'll say the same thing I say about almost every streaming series that isn't strictly episodic, even ones I really like...cut two episodes. I really feel like with so many shows we're hearing multiple variations of the exact same conversation. Yes, we all get that the heroin addict disappointed his family and they don't really trust that he's going to be clean this time. Trust us to get that and not to have to reset that conversation every other episode. Yes, Daredevil supporting characters, you DO have to stand up for what's right even though it's dangerous. A lot of things would be better off with 6-8 episode runs and keeping the momentum going.

It's not really a fair criticism, because back in the day, that was almost certainly standard operating procedure when something was on once a week, sometimes with breaks for several weeks at a time. I probably never even noticed it then. But now that I pretty much only binge stuff, I have so little patience for it. But for someone that maybe watches an episode every few days or takes breaks in between, it's probably no problem.

It was ok- some episodes were borderline horrible and 1 or 2 were excellent. The rest hovered in the decent to good range. Had some problems with the tired tropes, stereotypical characters, and needless jump scares. I was actively rooting for the house on all of the characters, save the writer brother and the youngest daughter. And thankfully unlike most shows in this genre, the ending wasn't a total deus ex head scratcher and perfectly and satisfyingly wrapped up with no need for a sequel or scouring google for explanations.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT