ADVERTISEMENT

ATT wireless: data

TennNole17

Star Player
Sep 18, 2003
ok, so I'm on the "family share plan" with 30 gigs of data, and have 4 phones and an iPad on it. For months I averaged 17-20 gigs of data use per month and carried over the rollover data. The last two months, however, it's exploded to 35-40 gigs a month, and it's killing me.

I called att, and the guy I talked to have me the same schpeil you always get about apps, and monitoring usage, and streaming, etc. I've tracked my usage over the past 4 days and have used 300mb, but been hit with 2 gigs of overage so far. Something isn't tracking, and they don't gaf.

Has anyone else experienced increased data usage out of nowhere? Any better results with att?

Do you have Android or iPhone devices? If Android, you can check what apps are using what data. Had a friend who used 6GB in one day from looking at and downloading GIF's via IMGUR app.

you can even restrict background usage so certain apps don't download any data when they are not actively being used by you.

https://www.androidpit.com/how-to-track-your-data-usage-on-android

Not quite as robust or as many options on iOS, but you can still track that via individual apps through the settings menu.

http://9to5mac.com/2013/09/25/ios-7-how-to-monitor-track-your-cellular-data-usage/

Do you have Android or iPhone devices? If Android, you can check what apps are using what data. Had a friend who used 6GB in one day from looking at and downloading GIF's via IMGUR app.

you can even restrict background usage so certain apps don't download any data when they are not actively being used by you.

/

Yeah, but in fairness, he is a dumbass

Have you looked to see which device is using all your data? I doubt it's even across the board.

We had that happen with my MIL who is on our plan. She had been listening to Pandora all weekend and spiked like 3GB quick. Told her to stay on Wifi when she streams music online.

Check your data usage from your AT&T logon either through the app or online via their website. It'll show which device used what data. Then go from there.

It's possible iOS's data usage reporting isn't giving you accurate data consumption.

A major tip is to turn on wifi and actually use it. If you spend the next month or so making sure you have it hooked up to all the places you frequent it is insane how little data most will use.

Reactions: dmm5157
I finally got my Iphone6+ and an I Pad. Blew through 3G's in one weekend. Now, I have WiFi at home but of course the minute I leave the ATT store I forget to get on WiFi at home. :(

There's just now way my line has used 17gigs in 20 days. That's just under a gig a day. And monitoring my usage, I'm clocking a fourth of it

It seems your increased usage coincides exactly with the news of the Ashley Madison data breach. Searching the web for ways to avoid having your account revealed has used up a ton of bandwidth. It's best to just come clean and own it. Get your gigs back.

ok, so I'm on the "family share plan" with 30 gigs of data, and have 4 phones and an iPad on it. For months I averaged 17-20 gigs of data use per month and carried over the rollover data. The last two months, however, it's exploded to 35-40 gigs a month, and it's killing me.

I called att, and the guy I talked to have me the same schpeil you always get about apps, and monitoring usage, and streaming, etc. I've tracked my usage over the past 4 days and have used 300mb, but been hit with 2 gigs of overage so far. Something isn't tracking, and they don't gaf.

Has anyone else experienced increased data usage out of nowhere? Any better results with att?

HA!! Same thing here..
I have 4 phones 10g shared usage. I've never been close to going over. The most I think was like 7g. So a couple months ago I get the text alert saying 75% of data has been used. Being as it had never happened before I figured one of the kids were downloading or whatever.2 days later I get another text saying 90% usage. Seing as how I was 3 days away from a new cycle I figured I'd let it go. Next day another text alert for 100% usage. So I thought,ehh it's only $15 extra,not going to call and spend 1 hr. on hold for $15. Next day I get yet another text saying I was now 1g over,meaning an add'l $15 bringing the total to $30 in overages. So now it was time to call...I asked them how this was possible considering the plan has never even been close to going over. She pulls up the usage breakdown to examine which line is using the most. In my mind I am already screaming at my kids....She comes back to give me the number,yep, it was my line. I was shocked to say the least considering I close any app I'm on,my usage habits haven't changed and at home it is wi-fi. They review my history, tell me I've never been close and so on. I then asked them if it was possible that their system may be reading something wrong..Her answer, "absolutely possible"..I then asked so why in the hell should I pay if your system could be wrong.. She waived the fee. Same exact thing happened last month. I called again and they told me it could be my iPhone malfunctioning or their system...I threatened to leave them if it couldn't be resolved. So far this month it is back to normal.
Personally, I think it is an attempt to rip off customers.

HA!! Same thing here..
I have 4 phones 10g shared usage. I've never been close to going over. The most I think was like 7g. So a couple months ago I get the text alert saying 75% of data has been used. Being as it had never happened before I figured one of the kids were downloading or whatever.2 days later I get another text saying 90% usage. Seing as how I was 3 days away from a new cycle I figured I'd let it go. Next day another text alert for 100% usage. So I thought,ehh it's only $15 extra,not going to call and spend 1 hr. on hold for $15. Next day I get yet another text saying I was now 1g over,meaning an add'l $15 bringing the total to $30 in overages. So now it was time to call...I asked them how this was possible considering the plan has never even been close to going over. She pulls up the usage breakdown to examine which line is using the most. In my mind I am already screaming at my kids....She comes back to give me the number,yep, it was my line. I was shocked to say the least considering I close any app I'm on,my usage habits haven't changed and at home it is wi-fi. They review my history, tell me I've never been close and so on. I then asked them if it was possible that their system may be reading something wrong..Her answer, "absolutely possible"..I then asked so why in the hell should I pay if your system could be wrong.. She waived the fee. Same exact thing happened last month. I called again and they told me it could be my iPhone malfunctioning or their system...I threatened to leave them if it couldn't be resolved. So far this month it is back to normal.

Nailed it.

This is the beauty of having truly unlimited data. Yes, I have sprint and sometimes sprint sucks, but I'll never go over.

HA!! Same thing here..

Funny that you say this. I have the only android phone on the plan I am on with my parents and two sisters (yes I am 33 and still on a plan with my parents, its $20/mo, get off me) Everyone else's data has been abnormally high the last two months while mine has tracked the same or lower (lower makes sense b/c I have given up playing a couple of high data games and don't do nearly as much FB and IG when I am not on Wifi, i.e. work time). Last month we were literally 100-150 MB away from our plan limit and we haven't been close since my mom and a sister went to the Title game in Pasadena and were using GPS all the damn time.

Appreciate this thread! Called T-Mobile this morning & mentioned going to AT&T, they offered 10G along with two IPhones plus insurance/taxes for $115 per month. Sounds good to me.

Like fishing with dynamite, not even fair.

Per my phone tracking, I'm at 785mb since Saturday - but have been charge le for 3 gigs of overage

Make sure your GPS is also turned off in location settings. If it says "high accuracy", you have your GPS turned on and that sucks data real fast.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT