ADVERTISEMENT

Barry Sanders

Cpanole, nobody’s bashing Noles - they’re just using your twisted logic in the exact same way you are against Sanders. See how silly the arguments look?
Not at all. They are taking two different situations and saying "See"

Here is a better analogy, a quaterback who has 35 TDs a year and 20 interceptions like Marino who never won the big game (or take Romo in Dallas). He has great all time numbers but he didnt make the smart plays to win the big games.

I get the analogy that people make that Barry had to dodge people on several plays and make something from nothing.

I dont get that people dont understand that Barry had weapons around him. I dont get that people dont want to accept that Barry preferred freestyle to designed runs. I dont get that people refuse to accept that if Barry was willing to be a better leader and take the yards that were there could have lead his teams to more wins.

Emmitt was the best option on every down bc their OL was full of steam rolling mountain men! The Lions played a run and shoot offense which was really a passing offense. The OL wasn’t blowing people off the line bc that wasn’t the style of offense they ran, just the opposite of Dallas. (Btw, I’ve been a Cowboy fan my whole life).
As for the negative plays, that’s a silly perspective bc in order to get the rushing stats he accumulated, he had to overcome the losses!
As for versatility, who cares? That’s like saying Dan Marino or Peyton Manning or Tom Brady could not be considered the greatest bc they weren’t mobile.
Barry was incredible and it’s a shame that so many in this generation don’t even know who he is. On top of his amazing talent he was a class act. Love Barry and that takes nothing away from Emmitt who was also great. But to compare the teams (Detroit and Dallas) on a basis of talent and think Smith didn’t have an advantage in all of your metrics (wins, playoff wins/TDs, lack of negative plays, etc.) you are not remotely objective.

(Btw, I’ve been a Cowboy fan my whole life).

As for versatility, who cares?

But to compare the teams (Detroit and Dallas) on a basis of talent and think Smith didn’t have an advantage in all of your metrics (wins, playoff wins/TDs, lack of negative plays, etc.) you are not remotely objective.

Was Dallas more talented? Yes, of course but lets dispel with the myth that Detroit had nothing other than Barry. The Lions won without Barry and made the playoffs without Barry. Not remotely true when you removed Smith. In 93 the reigning SB winner started 0 and 2 with all those other stars. Charles Haley destroyed a locker after the game ranting about Jones needing to sign Smith because they couldn't win without him. Dallas loses 2 more the rest of the year, Emmitt goes for 220 in the Meadowlands with a seperated shoulder to get Dallas a first round bye, and Emmitt finishes as SB MVP.

But oh my... your question about "who cares about versatility?" Are you serious? You may have been a fan but you were not able to see why the Cowboys won. Smith was the games best blocker and receiver and the unquestioned leader of the team. He made that team go. His ability to run for power on the inside and break plays on the outside allowed Dallaa to play the style of football to win the SB as many times as they did. He hit the hole faster than anyone

Not objective? I am objective enough to see that Troy is in the HOF because of Smith and not the other way around.

Dallas was 6 and 1 with Troy out, and 7 and 2 without Irvin in games Smith played before they retired from the game

As Nate Newton said, "when I got in the league i was just another fat offensive lineman, with Emmitt I'm an all-pro"

The only persons who say Emmett Smith is better than Barry Sanders are Cowboys fans. The GOAT #20

Reactions: Noletime28
The only persons who say Emmett Smith is better than Barry Sanders are Cowboys fans. The GOAT #20
Funny, they are the only ones who use facts, history, and stats to support their claims as well

I realize i am going to get little support on a noles board for Smith. Sometimes I just enjoy this topic.

Peace everyone and Go Noles

Detroit could have had Walter Peyton, Adrian Peterson, Bell, Jim Brown or any other back you can name and would still suck. Detroit could not run block and the only reason Mitchel was half way decent a year or two was because of play action with Sanders. If the faster, quicker, more elusive, stronger lower bodied running back played for Dallas he would have killed it far more than Emmit Smith did. You are nuts to buy into missed holes bs. He was constantly met at the hand off. Did he miss some holes?im sure hundreds of times during his career. That can be said about many if not all backs. But the man never had the opportunity to run through cattle gap holes like Smith did.

Oh and for the record I have no problem with Emmit. But he is widely considered the most over rated back in history. I could careless where he played college ball. He was a very good running back, maybe even great. But he’s not even in my top 10.

Last edited:
Reactions: Noletime28

Here is video evidence that highlights my point (and keep in mind that this is a pro-Barry slant). If you skip to 1:23, they begin affirming my points with both video evidence and comments that Barry was an all or nothing type back who didn't play the best "team" football. They even make the same Sammy Sosa comparison

And if you think Jimmy Johnson was going to put up with that on a team coming off a 3-13 and 1-15 season, I have got swamp land to sell you. By the way, Troy Aikman threw for fewer yards and TDs than Scott Mitchell and Irvin was the only receiver in Dallas with 1,000 yards in the 90s. So Dallas's passing attack was far less lethal than Detroit that was running the spread / run and shoot
In today’s metric world, he would thrive. Take a look at baseball. They are telling players to forget about batting avg and strikeouts and concentrate on launch angle and home runs. Barry was the quintessential home run. You take 5-6 negative yard runs because you know a 40 yarder is coming. I loved Barry and what an amazing guy he is.

Anyone who doesn't have Emmitt Smith in their top 10 all-time has no credibility in this debate.

Anyone who doesn't have Emmitt Smith in their top 10 all-time has no credibility in this debate.

No credibility?
No particular order as I’m doing this on the fly.
Sanders
Dickerson
Peterson
Sweetness
Faulk
Edge James
Jim Brown
Sayers
Walker
Jackson
McCoy
George

Could all be argued as a better RB then Smith. Some might not have done it for a decade. But I don’t think that can be held against them.

Not only is Jim Brown the greatest rb ever he is arguably the greatest football player ever. The rest of those guys are fighting for 2nd. FWIW I would take sanders over smith.

So, Dalvin made the best and more from what he had to work with. But Barry didn’t. Got it.
Dalvin also played on one of the most talented college teams where sanders played on one of the worst nfl teams

Detroit could have had Walter Peyton, Adrian Peterson, Bell, Jim Brown or any other back you can name and would still suck. Detroit could not run block and the only reason Mitchel was half way decent a year or two was because of play action with Sanders. If the faster, quicker, more elusive, stronger lower bodied running back played for Dallas he would have killed it far more than Emmit Smith did. You are nuts to buy into missed holes bs. He was constantly met at the hand off. Did he miss some holes?im sure hundreds of times during his career. That can be said about many if not all backs. But the man never had the opportunity to run through cattle gap holes like Smith did.

Oh and for the record I have no problem with Emmit. But he is widely considered the most over rated back in history. I could careless where he played college ball. He was a very good running back, maybe even great. But he’s not even in my top 10.

You are acting as if Sanders o-line was terrible, it wasn't. Lomas Brown was a 7 time pro bowler and 3X first team all pro at left tackle. Kevin Glover was a 4x all pro center. Herman Moore was also as talented as any WR in the league for a stretch of Sanders career. And sure, Sanders probably helped these guys, but they certainly helped him too. And yeah, I would take the Dallas line over the Detroit line too, but Detroit's line wasn't as bad as you are making it out to be.

I don't really think the argument is about who was better, I think they were simply different backs, and both great backs. I don't think Smith would have been as good in Detroit, and I don't think Sanders would have been as good in Dallas. I think they both played in systems that benefited their running styles.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT