ADVERTISEMENT

Big Screen TV Question

nynole1

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Jun 27, 2006
Just finished a major renovation in my house that included a "man cave" with a nice, large wall. Trying to decide whether I buy the best TV you can get(within reason) at 65", or go with a lower end TV at 75". The wall and the viewing distance can accommodate 75", so thats not a factor. Here are the two TVs I am considering:

1) 65" LG - https://www.abesofmaine.com/LG_Elec...5-Inch_4K_Ultra_HD_Smart_OLED_TV_1037034.html

2) 75" LG - https://www.costco.com/LG-75"-Class-(74.5"-Diag)-4K-UHD-LED-LCD-TV.product.100465356.html

The difference in price is around $700. So do I go with 10" less for $700 more, or the other option?

Just finished a major renovation in my house that included a "man cave" with a nice, large wall. Trying to decide whether I buy the best TV you can get(within reason) at 65", or go with a lower end TV at 75". The wall and the viewing distance can accommodate 75", so thats not a factor. Here are the two TVs I am considering:

1) 65" LG - https://www.abesofmaine.com/LG_Elec...5-Inch_4K_Ultra_HD_Smart_OLED_TV_1037034.html

2) 75" LG - https://www.costco.com/LG-75"-Class-(74.5"-Diag)-4K-UHD-LED-LCD-TV.product.100465356.html

The difference in price is around $700. So do I go with 10" less for $700 more, or the other option?

Why not get a 75” for the same price just with slightly “less” bells and whistles? You can get a 75 inch P Series from Vizio for the same price or cheaper than your 65 LG. And the difference in quality won’t be noticeable.

Although OLEDs are better than straightforward LEDs at producing so called true blacks, that’s not true when they have so-called dimming zones that turn back the power. And the 2017 P-Series had the most dimming zones of any LED tv at the time I was looking at it (126, but one caveat I saw in a recent review that in the 55” version they cheaper out and scaled back the number of Dimming zones so that the 2017 model was substantially better than the 2018 model which is not normal, so you should double check and make sure whether that’s true of the 75”). So any difference in color brightness is going to be minor or not existing.

The rest is basically the same. Both TVs support HDR10 and all of the HDR formats so they’ll both have an incredible range of colors (which you’ll only notice when in 4K streaming or 4K Blu-ray). So that’s a tie. The sound on both will be the same. Both have the same maximum resolution 3840x2160p so that’s a tie. But the Vizio PSeries actually wins at refresh rate because while the LG advertisizes itself as a 120MHZ that’s only at 1080p while at 4K it’s only 60MHZ, meanwhile the PSeries is a “true” 120 MHZ tv even at 4K HDR output and is technically 240 MHZ at 1080p. So the PSeries will be better at handling fast motion so playing games and watching sports. And the final thing I think is important is the inputs and the LG has only 4 hdmi to the Vizio PSeries 5. I also really like the built in Chromecast smart tv component for the PSeries. And I use all 5 as I have one port for the cable box, one port for my PS4 Pro with VR, one port for my Nintendo Switch dock, one port for my XBox One X which I mainly use as a 4K Blu-ray player, and the final port for my Analogue SuperNT (plays old Super Nintendo games but in 1080p natively with wireless controllers). That way you don’t need a splitter and don’t suffer from loss of signal.

So TLDR the results are:

PSeries wins at:
Refresh rate for better fast motion in games and sports
Number of Inputs
Substantially cheaper
Built in Chromecast

LG wins at:
Blackness level but probably not by much

Ties at:
Max resolution
HDR color range
Sound

Why not get a 75” for the same price just with slightly “less” bells and whistles? You can get a 75 inch P Series from Vizio for the same price or cheaper than your 65 LG. And the difference in quality won’t be noticeable.

Although OLEDs are better than straightforward LEDs at producing so called true blacks, that’s not true when they have so-called dimming zones that turn back the power. And the 2017 P-Series had the most dimming zones of any LED tv at the time I was looking at it (126, but one caveat I saw in a recent review that in the 55” version they cheaper out and scaled back the number of Dimming zones so that the 2017 model was substantially better than the 2018 model which is not normal, so you should double check and make sure whether that’s true of the 75”). So any difference in color brightness is going to be minor or not existing.

The rest is basically the same. Both TVs support HDR10 and all of the HDR formats so they’ll both have an incredible range of colors (which you’ll only notice when in 4K streaming or 4K Blu-ray). So that’s a tie. The sound on both will be the same. Both have the same maximum resolution 3840x2160p so that’s a tie. But the Vizio PSeries actually wins at refresh rate because while the LG advertisizes itself as a 120MHZ that’s only at 1080p while at 4K it’s only 60MHZ, meanwhile the PSeries is a “true” 120 MHZ tv even at 4K HDR output and is technically 240 MHZ at 1080p. So the PSeries will be better at handling fast motion so playing games and watching sports. And the final thing I think is important is the inputs and the LG has only 4 hdmi to the Vizio PSeries 5. I also really like the built in Chromecast smart tv component for the PSeries. And I use all 5 as I have one port for the cable box, one port for my PS4 Pro with VR, one port for my Nintendo Switch dock, one port for my XBox One X which I mainly use as a 4K Blu-ray player, and the final port for my Analogue SuperNT (plays old Super Nintendo games but in 1080p natively with wireless controllers). That way you don’t need a splitter and don’t suffer from loss of signal.

So TLDR the results are:

PSeries wins at:
Number of Inputs
Substantially cheaper
Built in Chromecast

LG wins at:

Ties at:
Max resolution
HDR color range
Sound
Did you copy/paste that from Autism Awareness Quarterly?

So TLDR the results are:

PSeries wins at:
Number of Inputs
Substantially cheaper
Built in Chromecast

LG wins at:

Ties at:
Max resolution
HDR color range
Sound

For the two TVS you are comparing, the prices are the same with LG @ 65" and Vizio @ 75". At that point its not really about saving money, its about getting the better picture or the bigger picture. You would go Vizio?

For the two TVS you are comparing, the prices are the same with LG @ 65" and Vizio @ 75". At that point its not really about saving money, its about getting the better picture or the bigger picture. You would go Vizio?

What I was saying is you can have a 75inch tv at the same price as the 65 you picked out and it’s not much different (yours is probably better for watching dramas, mine is better for games and sports but I doubt either would be noticeable unless literally side by side). But yeah, the PSeries is what I went with last Christmas for my main tv. It looks great and I have zero complaints about it.

But do look into if you should try to track down a 2017 rather than 2018 model. For the 55inch that was reviewed in a recent article I looked up to pull the stats for comparison they said that in the 55 which is the only one they had to review that Vizio cheaper out and removed 70 dimming zones going from 126 which is a ton to 56 which is more standard.

What I was saying is you can have a 75inch tv at the same price as the 65 you picked out and it’s not much different (yours is probably better for watching dramas, mine is better for games and sports but I doubt either would be noticeable unless literally side by side). But yeah, the PSeries is what I went with last Christmas for my main tv. It looks great and I have zero complaints about it.
I read through a thread between the two TVs on Reddit, and the consensus seems to be that they are both excellent TVs, but the OLED tech is superior, it just comes down to budget.
I have been blown away when I have seen the OLED on display, same feeling when I bought my cutting-edge Sony ten years ago. There was just no other picture that looked better. Having said that, there is something very appealing about having a 75" TV lol

Forget everything you are reading and go nostalgic. You can even put your lava lamp on top!

maxresdefault.jpg

But the Vizio PSeries actually wins at refresh rate because while the LG advertisizes itself as a 120MHZ that’s only at 1080p while at 4K it’s only 60MHZ, meanwhile the PSeries is a “true” 120 MHZ tv even at 4K HDR output and is technically 240 MHZ at 1080p

Refresh rates are still measured in Hertz, not MegaHertz. ;)

I read through a thread between the two TVs on Reddit, and the consensus seems to be that they are both excellent TVs, but the OLED tech is superior, it just comes down to budget.
I have been blown away when I have seen the OLED on display, same feeling when I bought my cutting-edge Sony ten years ago. There was just no other picture that looked better. Having said that, there is something very appealing about having a 75" TV lol

I really don’t think you would know if it’s missing. I assure you, when my tv is showing a 4K HDR program it has mindblowing picture quality. The only problem is that most cable and streaming programs are only in 1080p. So basically it’s just Netflix Originals, Amazon Prime Originals and 4k BluRays with a smattering of other offerings. But when you watch those limited offerings, the picture quality on the PSeries is amazing.

What's your viewing distance? The OLED is so much better than the 75". You may not think you can tell the difference, but you can. It's wonderful, the best TV on the market.

I do tend toward bigger = better, and people never wish they bought a smaller TV.

But the picture quality difference you're looking at is HUGE. I would go with the OLED (wish I could swing it) all the way up to a 10', maybe even 11' viewing distance. That's a greater distance than recommended, but to me it would be worth it for the quality.

After that, 65" is really bordering on too small, at least for me, although everyone's tolerance is different, and I'd reluctantly say goodbye to the OLED.

But I would NOT buy that LG 75". I would buy a Sony 900F most likely. With those two LG models, you're looking at going from arguably the best TV, to a very mediocre TV, and I personally couldn't handle that. I would want to go from best to excellent, so I'd probably look at the Sony 900f. The Vizio P-Series or even M-Series would be better than the LG, but there are some quality control issues around the Vizios that I can't really heartily recommend.

I have the P-series also, and the picture is great, but I would be shocked if someone couldn't notice the difference between that and an OLED. OLED is in a different ballpark entirely.

Now, cost vs picture quality is a different story...my 65" P-Series was half the price or less than the 65" OLED, and that matters. For me that mattered.

That said, size is a big consideration too, and 75" vs 65" matters, and if 75" was the more appropriate size for the space, then that's what you do.

But if cost isn't a consideration? I don't think it's even remotely close picture quality wise, all things being equal.

I really don’t think you would know if it’s missing. I assure you, when my tv is showing a 4K HDR program it has mindblowing picture quality. The only problem is that most cable and streaming programs are only in 1080p. So basically it’s just Netflix Originals, Amazon Prime Originals and 4k BluRays with a smattering of other offerings. But when you watch those limited offerings, the picture quality on the PSeries is amazing.

Unless you have the TV way to close the human eye can't tell the difference. You may think it is better but a person simply can't tell the difference in a normal viewing setting. To get the full benefit of 4k you would have to sit only 5 feet away from an 80" TV. Who the heck does that?

My TV is probably about 15 feet from my eyeballs (TV is above my fireplace with me leaned back in my chair). To get the full benefit of 1080p at that distance I would need 115" screen. In order to take in the full benefit of just 1080P I'd have to have my eyes about 8 ft away from my 70" screen.

As you already noted though, hardly anything is 4k... and most cable is not 1080p. ESPN, ABC, and Fox are 720p, NBC and CBS are 1080i.

Unless you have the TV way to close the human eye can't tell the difference. You may think it is better but a person simply can't tell the difference in a normal viewing setting. To get the full benefit of 4k you would have to sit only 5 feet away from an 80" TV. Who the heck does that?

My TV is probably about 15 feet from my eyeballs (TV is above my fireplace with me leaned back in my chair). To get the full benefit of 1080p at that distance I would need 115" screen. In order to take in the full benefit of just 1080P I'd have to have my eyes about 8 ft away from my 70" screen.

As you already noted though, hardly anything is 4k... and most cable is not 1080p. ESPN, ABC, and Fox are 720p, NBC and CBS are 1080i.

This is true about 4k specifically. I think 4k is actually pretty overrated. But not picture quality in general. But yes, from normal viewing distances, an EXCELLENT say plasma TV can look just as good or definitely better than a mediocre modern TV.

But they aren't making any good 1080p TVs anymore, so that's pretty irrelevant. If you find a 1080p Sanyo at Big Lots or something, it will not have as good a picture as a quality 4K tv, for reasons having nothing to do with the resolution. Things like HDR and color gamut DOES make a difference even from normal viewing distance.

But I wouldn't begrudge anyone with a quality plasma for holding onto it, in some ways they've never been matched. The HDR and brightness would probably be enough to move me off it by now, but it wouldn't be an easy decision.

What's your viewing distance? The OLED is so much better than the 75". You may not think you can tell the difference, but you can. It's wonderful, the best TV on the market.

I do tend toward bigger = better, and people never wish they bought a smaller TV.

But the picture quality difference you're looking at is HUGE. I would go with the OLED (wish I could swing it) all the way up to a 10', maybe even 11' viewing distance. That's a greater distance than recommended, but to me it would be worth it for the quality.

After that, 65" is really bordering on too small, at least for me, although everyone's tolerance is different, and I'd reluctantly say goodbye to the OLED.

But I would NOT buy that LG 75". I would buy a Sony 900F most likely. With those two LG models, you're looking at going from arguably the best TV, to a very mediocre TV, and I personally couldn't handle that. I would want to go from best to excellent, so I'd probably look at the Sony 900f. The Vizio P-Series or even M-Series would be better than the LG, but there are some quality control issues around the Vizios that I can't really heartily recommend.
I have considered distance, I'm at about 10.5 feet. I have been leaning towards the OLED LG because I think I'd rather have the best, just less of it. I buy a TV about every ten years, and have always tried to buy the best when I do, so that's the direction I'll probably go.

There is an Asian YouTube video showing the OLED next to an LCD and you can definitely see the difference in picture quality.

The OLEDs in the LG has a slower refresh rate than the LEDs in the Vizio so you’re going to get more blurring and the resolution and color range is identical. The only advantage the OLED has is that each pixel can go from true black to brightest setting individually while the LG has 126 dimming zones. So you’ll see a bigger contrast in overall brightness in the LG with OLEDs IF there is simultaneous very dark and very bright images in an area smaller than the 126 zones. That’s lots of ifs, so 90-99% of the images you wouldn’t tell a difference and in rare occasions the brightness/darkness will be more intense on the LG.

Like I said I doubt you would notice any difference between the tvs when the resolution and color is identical and if you DID notice a difference the blurring in the LG would probably be more noticeable than the light intensity of the Vizio.

This is true about 4k specifically. I think 4k is actually pretty overrated. But not picture quality in general. But yes, from normal viewing distances, an EXCELLENT say plasma TV can look just as good or definitely better than a mediocre modern TV.

But they aren't making any good 1080p TVs anymore, so that's pretty irrelevant. If you find a 1080p Sanyo at Big Lots or something, it will not have as good a picture as a quality 4K tv, for reasons having nothing to do with the resolution. Things like HDR and color gamut DOES make a difference even from normal viewing distance.

But I wouldn't begrudge anyone with a quality plasma for holding onto it, in some ways they've never been matched. The HDR and brightness would probably be enough to move me off it by now, but it wouldn't be an easy decision.

We've been in the market as well and will, at some point, be replacing our plasma TV, which is still going strong. Had an AV guy come to our house and he said, "If it was me, I'd ride that plasma TV as long as possible and wait for the OLED prices to come down more." He said I could easily spend $1,600 and get a TV that does not have the same image quality as we enjoy on our 11 year old set.

My couches form an L shape around the TV so if you’re on the couch furthest away you’re about 6-6.5 ft away and if you’re on the couch besides the tv you’re about 4-5 ft away depending on where you sit. And I can absolutely tell the difference between 4K and 1080p on my 75” although the bigger and more mindblowing difference is between whatever the color settings are used on typical 1080p versus when the HDR kicks in. Watching things like Blue Planet 2 on Netflix 4k with HDR is absolutely amazing. Unfortunately that’s far and few between right now.

We've been in the market as well and will, at some point, be replacing our plasma TV, which is still going strong. Had an AV guy come to our house and he said, "If it was me, I'd ride that plasma TV as long as possible and wait for the OLED prices to come down more." He said I could easily spend $1,600 and get a TV that does not have the same image quality as we enjoy on our 11 year old set.

In my bedroom I have the 65” 4k Roku LG tv that’s kind of the standard bargain tv you can get for $400-600. Unlike the PSeries in the living room, while it is 4k and HDR, it doesn’t have the dimming zones (it either has none or just a more normal 40 or less) and is only a fake 120 refresh rate like the other LG with OLED and is a true 60 refresh. I also have an older 60” 1080 P Samsung plasma in my retro game room hooked up to my PS3 through 3DO/CDi systems and it had some ridiculous refresh rate like 600-800HZ.

Between the three tvs, the Vizio PSeries has the best display by far especially when utilizing a 4k HDR program of some sort. But the older Plasma is noticeably better than the LG Roku 4k tv. Definitely a lot brighter and darker with none of the blurring.

Semiunrelated Sidebar: I will probably keep my 60” Samsung 1080p Plasma in the Game room until it breaks. It looks good playing XBox 360, PS3, PS2, 3DO, CDi, Sega Dreamcast, WiiU, and most importantly the Alienware Alpha I have running mame and other emulators. I have two Sony Trinitrons one 36” and one 32” for playing the older 2nd through 4th Generation consoles like the PS1, XBox, etc down to the NES, Sega Master System, Atari 7800 so I can use lightguns (old lightgun games do not work with modern tvs). And I’ve got an old clear plastic boob tube tv with rf inputs intended for prisons that I run my 1st gen and older 2nd gen systems like the original Magnavox Odyssey, pong and combat dedicated systems, Atari 2600 etc... And I have a sweet Japanese Batman themed tv that I hook up my Japanese consoles like my Twin Famicom from Sharp not Nintendo that runs both regular Famicom and disk system games, my Super Cassette Vision, Sega SG-1000, and my Nintendo Color TV Game 8 and Color TV Game 15.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nole Lou
Just make sure you get at least a 5.1 surround set up.
No doubt, that's about the extent of my knowledge in that area.
I'll be targeting something simple and wireless. I know there was a Sonos thread a while back, not sure if that will be an option.

I have considered distance, I'm at about 10.5 feet. I have been leaning towards the OLED LG because I think I'd rather have the best, just less of it. I buy a TV about every ten years, and have always tried to buy the best when I do, so that's the direction I'll probably go.

You're right on the border for me. At 10.5 feet, I'd personally go with the OLED in a heartbeat. I've been in the 10-11 feet from everything from 35" on up and can live with it, and I'm now about 9.5 from a 65". I could take a 75" there for sure, but not for the quality I'd have to give up for the price difference. But I don't think I'd want to go much further than that.

There are however people that would consider that too far, and they wouldn't be wrong by any means, but with the chance to get the top picture, I think 10.5 is in range.

One caveat though...I don't know what size/distance you're coming from. Absolutely, do NOT step down in size. If you're coming from a 75", or sitting 8' from a 65", you are guaranteed not to be happy with the step down in size, no matter the picture quality. Nobody ever is. If that's the case, you can't consider anything under 75".

In my bedroom I have the 65” 4k Roku LG tv that’s kind of the standard bargain tv you can get for $400-600. Unlike the PSeries in the living room, while it is 4k and HDR, it doesn’t have the dimming zones (it either has none or just a more normal 40 or less) and is only a fake 120 refresh rate like the other LG with OLED and is a true 60 refresh. I also have an older 60” 1080 P Samsung plasma in my retro game room hooked up to my PS3 through 3DO/CDi systems and it had some ridiculous refresh rate like 600-800HZ.

Between the three tvs, the Vizio PSeries has the best display by far especially when utilizing a 4k HDR program of some sort. But the older Plasma is noticeably better than the LG Roku 4k tv. Definitely a lot brighter and darker with none of the blurring.

Yeah that LG Roku tv is not a very good TV. That's a kids or grandparents tv. I would definitely expect almost any plasma to be better.

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe
My couches form an L shape around the TV so if you’re on the couch furthest away you’re about 6-6.5 ft away and if you’re on the couch besides the tv you’re about 4-5 ft away depending on where you sit. And I can absolutely tell the difference between 4K and 1080p on my 75” although the bigger and more mindblowing difference is between whatever the color settings are used on typical 1080p versus when the HDR kicks in. Watching things like Blue Planet 2 on Netflix 4k with HDR is absolutely amazing. Unfortunately that’s far and few between right now.

You could see the difference in resolution sitting 5-6 feet from a 75", but very few people have such an arrangement.

HDR is the way bigger better deal than 4K for sure.

Yep, especially depending on if it was a good plasma, like a Panasonic, Pioneer, or late model Samsung. A cheapy like a Sharp or Insignia, maybe not so sure.

But if I had a good plasma, I think I'd still be riding that today. I wanted a plasma the entire life cycle, but never timed up needing a TV when the price was right, and then finally at the very end of the plasma life, it was now or never, and I bought literally the last plasma line made, one of the Samsungs, in the very last months of availability. I wanted a Panasonic, but wasn't paying close enough attention and missed it when they stopped making them.

Was so happy to get that plasma boy. One year later my son put a yo yo right through the screen. Most upset I've ever been at one of my kids. I would have been mad anyway for the replacement cost, but the idea that it was literally irreplaceable killed me. I yanked the old DLP projection out of the kids room and rode with that for a year until half-way decent LCD prices are coming down. LCD has really only been approaching plasma quality for a couple years...I'd argue, outside OLED which can best plasma, it wasn't until HDR that there was a reason to even think about replacing a good plasma. And even the best LCDs aren't up to plasma in motion, uniformity etc.

I've actually done pretty well buying the very end of a technology as it's being closed out, and yet when it's mature enough to be actually better than most of the "new" stuff. I bought an excellent old style CRT projection when it was still a much better picture than the shallower LCD and DLP projection screens that wiped out CRT projection. And then I got the last DLP, which was a better picture than all but the top 25% plasmas that were 4x the cost. And then the last plasma, which still was a better picture than anything but the brand new $10k OLEDs. All for $600-700, when you'd have to go to $3k to beat the picture quality.

Still riding out our old 55" plasma in the family room. Will replace it when the OLEDs come down in price and we can upsize.

I would definitely never go down in size, this 65" OLED that I am leaning towards buying is an upgrade from my ten-year-old SONY 52". I ended up just giving that away to one of my contractors.

I would definitely never go down in size, this 65" OLED that I am leaning towards buying is an upgrade from my ten-year-old SONY 52". I ended up just giving that away to one of my contractors.

Unless you were much closer to the 52" or something, going to 65" is going to feel great. It won't seem as big in a year or so, but if you lived with 52" for a decade, you should be pretty happy.

As Tribe said, HDR is a much bigger deal than 4K, and that's more than appreciable 10 feet from a 65".

That said, if you jumped your 75" to a much better TV than that LG, it would be a tougher call even for me. The 75" Vizio Tribe is pimping is definitely a great option, but there have been a LOT of issues with the panel quality, and a ton of them returned. If Tribe got a 2018, he got lucky to get a good one. And it's a pretty big jump $ wise from that Vizio to another 75 of as good or better quality.

Unless you were much closer to the 52" or something, going to 65" is going to feel great. It won't seem as big in a year or so, but if you lived with 52" for a decade, you should be pretty happy.

As Tribe said, HDR is a much bigger deal than 4K, and that's more than appreciable 10 feet from a 65".

That said, if you jumped your 75" to a much better TV than that LG, it would be a tougher call even for me. The 75" Vizio Tribe is pimping is definitely a great option, but there have been a LOT of issues with the panel quality, and a ton of them returned. If Tribe got a 2018, he got lucky to get a good one. And it's a pretty big jump $ wise from that Vizio to another 75 of as good or better quality.
I took blue painters tape and made two boxes on my viewing wall last night, 75" seems too big for the room, dont want it to be overwhelming either. I think the 65" OLED I am going with is a great choice, especially at the price I found it. My friends have 65", so thats what I am getting used to at this point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT